HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Isles (10/15/2010)

Old
10-15-2010, 08:44 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Isles (10/15/2010)

Plus

+ First win: This could be a win that exudes some confidence from the team. We really looked down and out and now this could be the energy to spark what this team needed.

Let's take it to the Flyers tomorrow night and get on track boys.

+ Letestu: Man this kid continues to do very well. It's that simple. He's an intelligent precise player and understands the game very well. Letestu just looks like he fits into the play. I think he's an EASY keep when Staal is back.

+ Goligoski: Solid game for Gogo as he really continues to step it up while our dmen are out. He isn't great defensively, but he does a good enough job. He's also doing a great job breaking the puck out. He's decisive and know what he's doing.

+ Martin: Hindsight is 20/20 and I'd still take Martin 1000x over Gonchar. He's solid defensively and chips in very well in the offensive zone. I had high expectations for Martin and he's exceeding them in such a short period of time.

+ Eric Tangradi: First goal for the Big Dog! He keeps plugging away and continues to do the small things needed for the line. There is a lot of growing for Tangradi to do, but I really like his vision and will to battle. Combine that with his natural skill and I really believe we have our first true top 6 winger in the future. In fact, he's probably only 2 years away at max.

+ Mark Eaton: Come on.. you know I had to include him. He's the king of blocking shots and did a great job against our stars. I'm very happy he's an assistant captain for the Isles and am happy he found a good home.

+ Brent Johnson: The guy makes saves at important times and is very solid for a backup. Sadly, I'm more confident w/ Johnson in net as opposed to seeing #29.

Johnson had to make some really solid saves tonight. He does it well and looks very confident.

Honorable Mention: Cooke/Talbot/Kennedy play very well together. They possess the puck and give our team energy. TK won his battles, Cooke was back to hitting tonight, and Talbot scraps w/ the best of them. They aren't very talented but they do create energy. How many penalties can TK draw himself?

The crowd was also great tonight. They weren't afraid to be vocal and made for a great atmosphere.

Minus

- Powerplay: Face it Bylsma - you have never been good with a powerplay setup. You just haven't. I understand you want shots but you have to have movement and people driving through lanes to open up that shot. Every single player stands around on the powerplay. It's not rocket science. You are making it seem that way.

- Sidney Crosby: Pathetic start to the year for Crosby. Absolutely pathetic. His work ethic is nonexistent. His passion is bare minimum. He isn't winning battles and he thinks he can just throw the puck wildly around because he has good vision. Very disappointed in our Captain's season so far.

- Movement/Driving: The art of driving to the net and driving through lanes is to open space. That's simply all it does. That's everything you need in hockey. Our team doesn't drive to the net and they don't go hard through lanes to open up space, especially in the neutral zone. Skate hard to support the puck and what that does is open up lanes behind the play. It gives two options - 1) throw it off the strong-side boards to the cutting player or 2) hit the guy on the weakside who is driving in a straight line to the opposing team's zone.

It drives me absolutely insane but nobody keeps their feet moving except a few players like TK. Continue to move your feet and hustle. That doesn't mean loop around, either. Stop and start and move fast north/south. It doesn't matter if it's driving to the net, to the corner, or even to the boards, keep your freaking feet moving. It's hockey 101.

- Defensive zone: Let's make this short - go back to man coverage so they don't have letdowns in the defensive zone. You give a man a responsibility and tell them to win the battle. You get players to respond by challenging them.

- Overall Confidence: Our confidence is at an all-time low. There isn't a single player out there who trusts his line and wants to do anything for their teammates. It's pretty bad.

Very Important Minus: To our online fanbase - It's not the majority, but for the people jumping off bridges - RELAX.

In my opinion, the worse we look the better. I don't want to look "decent" and squeak by until we lose in the postseason. The only true way to get better is to face adversity and realize we are playing like ****. Last season we started off on fire. Where did it get us? We faded as the year went on. Hopefully this is the exact opposite.

If you're stating we aren't going to make the playoffs or even be a good team - you are completely ****ing wrong. Relax and watch the season unfold.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

You're like some sort of typing wizard.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
66-29-33

Hopefully Johnson starts tomorrow, he has earned it.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Kinguin

Seriously, Johnson and Gogo aside, I don't know how I can find a real + in this game.
One of the worst I've seen. Both teams should be punished for playing so bad.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:49 PM
RoninsRevenge

Mark "little things" Letestu. That guys hockey smarts have been really impressive. He's here to stay. Johnson was pretty good as well.

RoninsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Jacob

Give the Penguins a goaltender that makes all the saves he needs to make plus a couple he shouldn't, they win.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM

I'm to busy pulling my hair out for a +/- but I really, REALLY hope this win doesn't mask another poorly played game. I will take losing sloppy right about now though.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Konstantin Koltsov

That's a lot more pluses than I expected to see. I mean, I'm glad we won but it was largely a piss poor display.

Konstantin Koltsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:53 PM
djt153

people scoffed when goligoski was said to have the neidermayer powerplay role and with how the power play has performed thats definitely warranted. what shouldnt be ignored is how goligoski is beginning to use his superior skating to put himself in more than adequate defensive positions. the offense will take care of itself with him, but im very pleased with how he looks in his own end.

djt153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:53 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

+Martin: Beast once again. Played 27:30 which is a lot of time for the first month of the season.
+Goligoski: People complained he was overpaid at 1.5 million a year.
+Letestu: This guy doens't have any outstanding skills but gets it done with some outstanding hockey sense.
+Engelland: I have been harder than anyone on this guy. He looked like a decent hockey player tonight.
+Johnson: Gave us a chance to win.
+Kunitz/Cooke: Finally some guys willing to take the punishment in front of the net.

-Crosby: Has to be injured. He should be dizzy from all the lazy circles he did.
-Comrie: You need to make more of an impact. 1 shot isn't good enough for what your here to do.
-Hutchinson: You still suck

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

- Neither the Isles or Pens really deserved a point tonight.

- The refs called one of the worst games in recent memory.

- Cooke is an idiot.

- Letang gets punished for nothing.

- Sid is playing like total ****.

- The PP, regardless of the Goligoski goal, is sinfully bad.

+ We win and two points is two points.

+ Tangradi getting on the board.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

ColePens, I agree with your last parragraph. I think the Penguins are going to be fine as the season wears on.

I also think once Staalsy returns, it will get better.

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:55 PM
cynic*

Send a message via Yahoo to cynic*
I'm not sure what was worse,Pens PP or the reffing? I think Pens PP gets the biggest minus.

cynic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Letestu: Man this kid continues to do very well. It's that simple. He's an intelligent precise player and understands the game very well. Letestu just looks like he fits into the play. I think he's an EASY keep when Staal is back.
This. A thousand times this. I noticed 7 or 8 little chip plays where Letestu gets the puck to a guy in flight or goes against the grain and freezes a defender. Guys like him are exhausting to play against. He's the type of player that forces you to move constantly while he's making short economical movements.

I said in a previous +/- thread that if he were a little faster in full stride and quicker off the mark he'd be scary. If he devotes next summer to getting quicker he'll put up 50 points next year.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Johnson deserves the start tomorrow.

Also, Goligoski is basically Brian Campbell minus 5 mil per season cap hit for the next two years. Hard to complain about that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Killiecrankie*

If Johnson doesn't start tomorrow then it is a crime against humanity.

Sidney Crosby needs to sit a game if injured. If he is healthy then he needs to be off the powerplay with Geno. Screw his feelings or opinions. This is the worst hockey of his career.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:58 PM
KIRK

Random thoughts . . .

1. What happened to the two man forecheck with F3 high and the defensemen stepping up at center ice? This 1-2-2 forecheck spreads faster than the red sea and, for as much as it's supposed in theory to tighten gap, it does the opposite in practice.

2. Pet peeve play: Malkin takes a faceoff. Instead of losing it cleanly as usual, he actually ties up the Islanders faceoff man and the puck is just sitting there. The other two Islander forwards go for the puck. The two Pens out there with Malkin stand still. Ugh.

3. The Penguins powerplay gave the Islanders a point tonight. The 4 on 3 goal was a nice consolation. But, 5 on 4, the top unit is ****, as in 1 for 27 ****. You know how bad it is when you look at the 3 5 on 3's the Pens have had this season. It's one thing not to score. It's quite another not to generate significant pressure. That takes talent.

4. Three times tonight, Malkin got shots through from the right point. It was on net each time, and it generated a juicy rebound each time.

5. If Sid is so adamant about playing the right circle on the PP, then he damn well better convert one of the four or so clean look one timers he got tonight from there. Unless I'm mistaken, he missed the net with every one of them except one.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:58 PM

It saddens me that I didn't think twice about the goaltending situation tonight.

Johnson looked better than Fleury out there. He should play until he needs a rest/gets bad imo.

Really happy with the players who have made me happy all season. Really disappointed with the rest. I don't even have to say who they are.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

When our PP uses Sid and Geno on the points, and Martin on the half wall, it deserves several minuses.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ First win: This could be a win that exudes some confidence from the team. We really looked down and out and now this could be the energy to spark what this team needed.

Let's take it to the Flyers tomorrow night and get on track boys.

+ Goligoski: Solid game for Gogo as he really continues to step it up while our dmen are out. He isn't great defensively, but he does a good enough job. He's also doing a great job breaking the puck out. He's decisive and know what he's doing.

+ Martin: Hindsight is 20/20 and I'd still take Martin 1000x over Gonchar. He's solid defensively and chips in very well in the offensive zone. I had high expectations for Martin and he's exceeding them in such a short period of time.

+ Eric Tangradi: First goal for the Big Dog! He keeps plugging away and continues to do the small things needed for the line. There is a lot of growing for Tangradi to do, but I really like his vision and will to battle. Combine that with his natural skill and I really believe we have our first true top 6 winger in the future. In fact, he's probably only 2 years away at max.

+ Mark Eaton: Come on.. you know I had to include him. He's the king of blocking shots and did a great job against our stars. I'm very happy he's an assistant captain for the Isles and am happy he found a good home.

+ Brent Johnson: The guy makes saves at important times and is very solid for a backup. Sadly, I'm more confident w/ Johnson in net as opposed to seeing #29.

Johnson had to make some really solid saves tonight. He does it well and looks very confident.

Honorable Mention: Cooke/Talbot/Kennedy play very well together. They possess the puck and give our team energy. TK won his battles, Cooke was back to hitting tonight, and Talbot scraps w/ the best of them. They aren't very talented but they do create energy. How many penalties can TK draw himself?

The crowd was also great tonight. They weren't afraid to be vocal and made for a great atmosphere.

Minus

- Powerplay: Face it Bylsma - you have never been good with a powerplay setup. You just haven't. I understand you want shots but you have to have movement and people driving through lanes to open up that shot. Every single player stands around on the powerplay. It's not rocket science. You are making it seem that way.

- Sidney Crosby: Pathetic start to the year for Crosby. Absolutely pathetic. His work ethic is nonexistent. His passion is bare minimum. He isn't winning battles and he thinks he can just throw the puck wildly around because he has good vision. Very disappointed in our Captain's season so far.

- Movement/Driving: The art of driving to the net and driving through lanes is to open space. That's simply all it does. That's everything you need in hockey. Our team doesn't drive to the net and they don't go hard through lanes to open up space, especially in the neutral zone. Skate hard to support the puck and what that does is open up lanes behind the play. It gives two options - 1) throw it off the strong-side boards to the cutting player or 2) hit the guy on the weakside who is driving in a straight line to the opposing team's zone.

It drives me absolutely insane but nobody keeps their feet moving except a few players like TK. Continue to move your feet and hustle. That doesn't mean loop around, either. Stop and start and move fast north/south. It doesn't matter if it's driving to the net, to the corner, or even to the boards, keep your freaking feet moving. It's hockey 101.

- Defensive zone: Let's make this short - go back to man coverage so they don't have letdowns in the defensive zone. You give a man a responsibility and tell them to win the battle. You get players to respond by challenging them.

- Overall Confidence: Our confidence is at an all-time low. There isn't a single player out there who trusts his line and wants to do anything for their teammates. It's pretty bad.

Very Important Minus: To our online fanbase - It's not the majority, but for the people jumping off bridges - RELAX.

In my opinion, the worse we look the better. I don't want to look "decent" and squeak by until we lose in the postseason. The only true way to get better is to face adversity and realize we are playing like ****. Last season we started off on fire. Where did it get us? We faded as the year went on. Hopefully this is the exact opposite.

If you're stating we aren't going to make the playoffs or even be a good team - you are completely ****ing wrong. Relax and watch the season unfold.
Two things . . .

1. Excluding Goddard, Tangradi got less ice time than every forward except Rupp.

2. I, for one, am not in the "we won't make the playoffs" choir. The Pens have too much talent not to make the playoffs. But, right now, you've got a coaching staff who, just with it's coaching of the PP, is costing this team points and damn near cost them points tonight. But, when the talent returns, it should be enough to mask the poor coaching. I'm just not sure how that helps in the long run.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Gooch

I think Letestu is going to be a pretty decent NHL'r for the rest of his career. The guy has looked good every single game he has been up. He doesnt have the pedigree but if you just watch how he plays and reference that against his stats at different levels of play it's very difficult to not see him as a 50ish point player provided he got reasonable playing and power play time. Maybe not with the pens but with someone.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Random thoughts . . .

1. What happened to the two man forecheck with F3 high and the defensemen stepping up at center ice? This 1-2-2 forecheck spreads faster than the red sea and, for as much as it's supposed in theory to tighten gap, it does the opposite in practice.

2. Pet peeve play: Malkin takes a faceoff. Instead of losing it cleanly as usual, he actually ties up the Islanders faceoff man and the puck is just sitting there. The other two Islander forwards go for the puck. The two Pens out there with Malkin stand still. Ugh.

3. The Penguins powerplay gave the Islanders a point tonight. The 4 on 3 goal was a nice consolation. But, 5 on 4, the top unit is ****, as in 1 for 27 ****. You know how bad it is when you look at the 3 5 on 3's the Pens have had this season. It's one thing not to score. It's quite another not to generate significant pressure. That takes talent.

4. Three times tonight, Malkin got shots through from the right point. It was on net each time, and it generated a juicy rebound each time.

5. If Sid is so adamant about playing the right circle on the PP, then he damn well better convert one of the four or so clean look one timers he got tonight from there. Unless I'm mistaken, he missed the net with every one of them except one.
Malkin is the better player in the spot. DB grow some balls and either split them up...... or move crosby down low. If he *****es too friggen bad.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
Seriously, Johnson and Gogo aside, I don't know how I can find a real + in this game.
One of the worst I've seen. Both teams should be punished for playing so bad.
This might have been the Pens worst effort of the season. Yeah . . . they beat an Isles team missing their three top scorers. But, there was no sustained pressure, and the PP may have looked even worse tonight than it did in the previous 4 games, and that's against a **** Isles PK.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Give the Penguins a goaltender that makes all the saves he needs to make plus a couple he shouldn't and an opponent playing with a 15 man roster or an AHL roster, they win by a goal.
Corrected for accuracy . . .

Old
10-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

++ Johnson, Gogo, Letestu, Kennedy
+ Martin, Letang (was very good until he was thrown out).

- Crosby. His head isn't there right now. Playing stupid and/or disinterested.
- PP. Don't have the words. Same goes for Bylsma.

Could just repeat whatever so many of us post after every other game. We play lousy hockey because no one knows what we're trying to accomplish other than get it deep, and they don't even know how we're supposed to do that.

I'm dead tired of seeing a stationary Malkin receive the puck on the wing when I am used to seeing him pick it up in his own zone and make our breakout/zone-entry look like an invading army. Stop messing with my Malkin, Dan. Its like cutting your hand off to treat a sprained finger.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote