HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Isles (10/15/2010)

Old
10-15-2010, 09:05 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
Malkin is the better player in the spot. DB grow some balls and either split them up...... or move crosby down low. If he *****es too friggen bad.
Balls, brains . . . at this point, I don't care what DB grows, as long as it means using players in the right spot. Sid as the rover and Geno in the right circle is such a no-brainer. Tinkering with the other three positions solves nothing, and this PP will underachieve on a good night until Sid and Geno are put into the right positions.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:06 PM
High Flying Birds

For people that have a better memory then me (curse you illegal substances!) was Sid worse or better at this point of last season? I remember he got off to the really slow start but not much more than that.

Anyways, I reiterate from my post in the GDT: these wins don't feel like wins at all. Hopefully now that the first win at CEC is out of the way, the team will wake up. Guess we'll find out tomorrow...

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
++ Johnson, Gogo, Letestu, Kennedy
+ Martin, Letang (was very good until he was thrown out).

- Crosby. His head isn't there right now. Playing stupid and/or disinterested.
- PP. Don't have the words. Same goes for Bylsma.

Could just repeat whatever so many of us post after every other game. We play lousy hockey because no one knows what we're trying to accomplish other than get it deep, and they don't even know how we're supposed to do that.

I'm dead tired of seeing a stationary Malkin receive the puck on the wing when I am used to seeing him pick it up in his own zone and make our breakout/zone-entry look like an invading army. Stop messing with my Malkin, Dan. Its like cutting your hand off to treat a sprained finger.
I think Dan has ruined Malkin. The man who used to take the puck from behind the net and cause opponents to fear is now stuck along the boards being pinned in the neutral zone while he dish passes bounce of the sticks of his linemates.

Malkin is a friggen CENTER. Remember the Montreal game Pens management.... the most singular two way domination in a Penguin uniform I have ever seen.

Lets stick that talent at wing...... Oh and lets put Polumalu in at center while we are at it.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Ozguinz View Post
ColePens, I agree with your last parragraph. I think the Penguins are going to be fine as the season wears on.

I also think once Staalsy returns, it will get better.
Oh, I also agree . . . this team, when healthy, is more than talented enough to overcome **** coaching and MAKE the playoffs.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
- Neither the Isles or Pens really deserved a point tonight.

- The refs called one of the worst games in recent memory.

- Cooke is an idiot.

- Letang gets punished for nothing.

- Sid is playing like total ****.

- The PP, regardless of the Goligoski goal, is sinfully bad.

+ We win and two points is two points.

+ Tangradi getting on the board.
Not to steal your whole post, but you hit all the major points I would have made right on the head.

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
+First win at the new arena.
+Eric Tangradi's first goal of the season.
+Alex Goligoski.
+Paul Martin
+Brent Johnson. Providing the saves the team needs.

-The call on Letang. Dumb, dumb, dumb officiating.
-Sid. It wasn't just his actual production, but his work ethic and compete level were off.
-The power play. Beyond ridiculous how bad it is.
-Disorganized. I don't know if this is the players not doing their job, or the coaching staff coming up with stupid plays, but the team often looks disjointed out there.
-DiPietro diving and flopping around like he got killed anytime someone was near him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
For people that have a better memory then me (curse you illegal substances!) was Sid worse or better at this point of last season? I remember he got off to the really slow start but not much more than that.

Anyways, I reiterate from my post in the GDT: these wins don't feel like wins at all. Hopefully now that the first win at CEC is out of the way, the team will wake up. Guess we'll find out tomorrow...
Sid was playing as bad offensively however he was playing really strong two way hockey.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
When our PP uses Sid and Geno on the points, and Martin on the half wall, it deserves several minuses.
Personally, I've got no problem with Geno on the right point. Three times tonight, he got shots on the net from there that led to juicy rebounds, the last on the GWG. Now, the left point is a different story. Thank God the coaching staff isn't dumb enough to . . . oh, never mind . . .

Old
10-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
This might have been the Pens worst effort of the season. Yeah . . . they beat an Isles team missing their three top scorers. But, there was no sustained pressure, and the PP may have looked even worse tonight than it did in the previous 4 games, and that's against a **** Isles PK.
If we were playing a better team, or at least a team playing some hockey, we would have lost. We were lucky the Isles didn't play anything either. I don't wanna be a downer, cause we just win, but I'm being honest.
I wanna to see progress, even if a little bit per game and today I didn't see any.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Surprised no one is giving Lovejoy any props.

Aside from a bonehead play at the blueline when he turned it over (but made up for it by catching the guy), he played a very solid game.

Very impressed with his positional play and am really loving his skills in the offensive zone... gets pucks on net, always has his head up looking to pass... he's really been catching my eye the last two games with his play.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
++ Johnson, Gogo, Letestu, Kennedy
+ Martin, Letang (was very good until he was thrown out).

- Crosby. His head isn't there right now. Playing stupid and/or disinterested.
- PP. Don't have the words. Same goes for Bylsma.

Could just repeat whatever so many of us post after every other game. We play lousy hockey because no one knows what we're trying to accomplish other than get it deep, and they don't even know how we're supposed to do that.

I'm dead tired of seeing a stationary Malkin receive the puck on the wing when I am used to seeing him pick it up in his own zone and make our breakout/zone-entry look like an invading army. Stop messing with my Malkin, Dan. Its like cutting your hand off to treat a sprained finger.
Yeah, I wasn't in the Jags camp before. BUT, I am now. Watching Malkin on the RW and then the left side on the PP each game is like watching your pet get neutered again and again and again.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:12 PM
DeSero

Plus:
+ Letestu: Awesome play, I have no idea how he was demoted to the 4th line. In on both goals, hard working, smart. It's sad to say but forward wise, he's currently the top guy.

+Kennedy: Definitely the player of 2 years ago. Won alot of dirty battles and hustled like crazy. It's nice to see him back on track.

+ Johnson: Made the big save when he needed to. Although I do believe he would've let in every goal Fleury did against the Leafs.

+ Bottom 4 D: All of these guys really stepped up once Letang was kicked. Johnson really had good defensive help tonight and a lot of that can be contributed to these guys. It also helps that the forwards picked up the defensive slack too. I didn't included Martin because he just looked above average. Maybe I'm spoiled because of how well he's played so far and expected more.

(Personal +) Errey: I thoroughly enjoy his commentary by keeping it light and having fun. Please FSN, keep him away from Steigy in the box, he's a black hole of everything bad in the world.

Minus:
- Crosby: Floated on the Isles 2nd goal. Could say it was his fault. He's not playing up to snuff, has to dig in. Once he gets a few to go he'll be back on track, it's just getting the chemistry clicking. Then again, it's hard to have chemistry whenever your head coach doesn't believe in it.

- Overall Team Cohesiveness: The Pens looked really out of it when the game began. People not knowing who to take or whose puck it is. Then Rupp scored and it came back a bit. However then there was the blown call on Letang and things fell apart again. The magnificent powerplay doesn't help either. So getting everyone on the same page and lines shifting because of so many PP opportunities doesn't allow for lines to gel.

- Powerplay: 1-8. Enough said.

Overall:
They're lucky to win this game, could have gone either way. Maybe this can start to get them rolling. Although it's going to be tough to play a Flyers team with our depleted D-corps and our superstars just looking like above average players.

DeSero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post

Sid was playing better hockey last year, even if the points weren't coming.

I just have an ugly feeling about tomorrow . . .

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

Aside from a bonehead play at the blueline when he turned it over (but made up for it by catching the guy), he played a very solid game.

Very impressed with his positional play and am really loving his skills in the offensive zone... gets pucks on net, always has his head up looking to pass... he's really been catching my eye the last two games with his play.
I actually think he's strong defending our net. He pushes people down and works hard.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
Seriously, Johnson and Gogo aside, I don't know how I can find a real + in this game.
One of the worst I've seen. Both teams should be punished for playing so bad.
They did play bad, but that Letang call was horrendous, with out that the Islanders aren't even in the game score wise. Remember the Pens had only 5 D-man for most of the game.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
I think Dan has ruined Malkin. The man who used to take the puck from behind the net and cause opponents to fear is now stuck along the boards being pinned in the neutral zone while he dish passes bounce of the sticks of his linemates.

Malkin is a friggen CENTER. Remember the Montreal game Pens management.... the most singular two way domination in a Penguin uniform I have ever seen.

Lets stick that talent at wing...... Oh and lets put Polumalu in at center while we are at it.
I am inclined to agree with your assessment of Bylsma and Malkin. The most generous assessment of Bylsma's coaching of Malkin is that he hasn't gotten worse in the last two years. But, the Malkin that Bylsma inherited was a guy who was leading the league in takeaways, was someone you didn't fear putting on the ice for the PK or the last minute of a game, and an offensive force with only two eqauls in the league. He's none of those things now. Honestly, either Bylsma or Malkin has to go at some point, because Malkin is not an 8.7 million dollar a year player for Bylsma . . . he has no idea how to use him, no idea how to develop him. The beauty of where Malkin was as a player two years ago is that he, relative to Sid and Ovy, was still so raw. Can you imagine what a Dave Tippet or a Dave King would have done with that the last two years? It really is a shame . . .

Old
10-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Personally, I've got no problem with Geno on the right point. Three times tonight, he got shots on the net from there that led to juicy rebounds, the last on the GWG. Now, the left point is a different story. Thank God the coaching staff isn't dumb enough to . . . oh, never mind . . .
Yeah, I don't mind Geno on the right point, but Martin on the half wall and Crosby on the left point is downright pants-on-head retarded.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Brain fart on my part. I forgot to give a plus to the guy probably most deserving tonight.

+Mark Letestu.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
They did play bad, but that Letang call was horrendous, with out that the Islanders aren't even in the game score wise. Remember the Pens had only 5 D-man for most of the game.
BTW, you were there, didn't you, UM?
First win at Consol, put another mark in your weapon.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
If we were playing a better team, or at least a team playing some hockey, we would have lost. We were lucky the Isles didn't play anything either. I don't wanna be a downer, cause we just win, but I'm being honest.
I wanna to see progress, even if a little bit per game and today I didn't see any.
This team was worse today, IMO.

Old
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

Yeah, I agree. Only reason I didn't point to it this time like in all his other three games was that turnover - and not wanting to be accused of man-loving him too much.
I suppose there should also be props to Engelland for not looking out of place for the third game running. I really didn't expect that, but I still have my fears for tomorrow against the Flyers where the opponents skill level goes up a great many notches.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
I'm trying to be patient as possible with the "Malkin to RW" thing. And, in a lot of ways, there are still plenty of similarities with the way he's playing now and the way he traditionally played at pivot. But I have to admit that I'm noticing the same thing, as well.

Then again... the whole team seems sluggish and flat-footed in all areas of the ice. So it's tough to tell, for sure. I still maintain that his ability is being squandered and the coaching staff could get more out of him keeping him at center and insisting that he work on his occasional defensive lapses and shoddy work in the circle (you know... that crazy "coaching" stuff). But I don't much feel like going down that road, again. It's been beaten to death.

As far as the game -- I loved the eventual destination. But the journey was a goddamned trial. Just an awful game, really. As a few others have already said... neither team deserved a point.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Yeah, I don't mind Geno on the right point, but Martin on the half wall and Crosby on the left point is downright pants-on-head retarded.

Yeah, but when they do something even more retarded than Geno on the left point and it doesn't work, then they can say "see, we have to put Geno on the left point". I mean, after all, what coaching staff in their right mind would put Geno in the right circle and Sid out there as the rover?

O'k, fine, a coaching staff with a clue . . .

Old
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I'm trying to be patient as possible with the "Malkin to RW" thing. And, in a lot of ways, there are still plenty of similarities with the way he's playing now and the way he traditionally played at pivot. But I have to admit that I'm noticing the same thing, as well.

Then again... the whole team seems sluggish and flat-footed in all areas of the ice. So it's tough to tell, for sure. I still maintain that his ability is being squandered and the coaching staff could get more out of him keeping him at center and insisting that he work on his occasional defensive lapses and shoddy work in the circle (you know... that crazy "coaching" stuff). But I don't much feel like going down that road, again. It's been beaten to death.

As far as the game -- I loved the eventual destination. But the journey was a goddamned trial. Just an awful game, really. As a few others have already said... neither team deserved a point.
The Isles should give credit where it is due for their point tonight: To Dan Bylsma and his PP.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

What I want to know is...why is Malkin's position as a winger preventing him from attacking the opposition zone with speed?

Doesn't seem to hinder Ovie.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote