HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Isles (10/15/2010)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-15-2010, 09:24 PM
  #51
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,268
vCash: 754
I forgot an important joint minus:

-Comrie/Talbot face offs. 2/6 for 33% and 5/14 for 36% respectively.

And because I'm on the subject:
+Letestu 6/10 for 60%.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:25 PM
  #52
Killiecrankie*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,999
vCash: 500
I am going to take it easy with my Penguins this season.

I have to say Paul Martin is one of the better dmen that I can remember the Penguins having.


We arent winning a cup this year boys; unless we have a new bench boss. Until that moment I am going along as a casual observer.


Thank God for center ice... the Oilers are a blast to watch so far.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:25 PM
  #53
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 24,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
BTW, you were there, didn't you, UM?
First win at Consol, put another mark in your weapon.
Ya, guess I'm 2 for 2, so far this year. "Knocks on wood"

Had I been anywhere near the ice when they called Letang on that, my stuff would have been thrown towards the ref over the glass and just start walking out. Everyone new that wasn't even a penalty at all except the ref. I was upper bowl and it was clear as day.

By the way, I was clearly thinking there wasn't a bad seat in the place until I sat in section 217/ row F/ seat #21(End of row seat). You can't see the far close corner because of the railing going down the steps.


Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 10-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:26 PM
  #54
Bishop7979
Registered User
 
Bishop7979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,296
vCash: 500
+ Letestu: The thing is, you rarely notice him, but he does everything really well, especially when you consider he's in his first real year of NHL hockey. I've been trying to figure out who he reminds me of, who would be a valid comparison and the best I can come up with the Zajac. . . a guy who quietly goes about his business, plays well with talented players but isnt overwhelmed by it, relys on hard work and hockey smarts as much as skill and is rewarded for it with the occasional goal and a boatload of assists.

+ Gogo: I do hate the idea that this kid is going to replace Gonchar as the QB on the PP, I dont believe that he is ready to have the play funnel through him yet, when rushed or pressured he tends to make bad plays at the blue line, but as a shooter he's an asset to the blue line. Tonight was a good example of this. And his great skating ability was on display tonight.

+Letang: has really picked up his physical game, clean powerful hit tonight, he seems to really try to step up this part of his game whenever Orpik is out. For a kid that could make a decent living on his skill alone he has really stepped up as a phyiscal presence starting at the end of the year last year/ playoffs and in the preseason and first couple games this year.

+ Martin: Paul Martin is the man.... he's been great on both sides of the blue line, even using his skating to sneak in and help out down low on offence but never gets caught back. May not have sarge's shot, but great in his own end and can pass with the best of them and is much more mobile.

- Sid/Malkin: As I said in the GDT, at some point these guys have to produce regardless of who their linemates are. Mario did it with guys like Tomas Sandstrom, Bryon Smolinski and made Steve McKenna look productive while never falling far below his 2 pts per game pace. Jagr was the best player in the world playing with Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina, Stevie Y won cups with Doug Brown as a regular linemate, Sakic played a few years with Adam Deadmarsh and Valeri Kaminsky... at some point they need to stop looking at their linemates as much and take the puck themselves and create for themselves, Sid did it last year and it got him 50 goals.

-The bloody effn Powerplay: Split up Sid and Malkin already, the over rely on each other too much, they over pass far too often, typically leading to a interception that then gets rifled the length of the ice, they pass up opportunities to move the puck forward or at least get a puck on net to pass to the other. If each was given a their own powerplay I feel they would each be more selfish being "the man" and thus more productive.

- Refs, nuff said

= Johnson: I'm sorry he hasn't been 'spectacular" as one poster called him in either game, but he's been solid and that's what this team needs. He got the win in a game in which I didnt feel he was as challenged as some posters acted like. Also when he says in the post game this was a game that "we played well every minute" i have to assume the man is either certifiably insane or on drugs. But regardless this was a game he "should" have won and he did just that.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:27 PM
  #55
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 37,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
What I want to know is...why is Malkin's position as a winger preventing him from attacking the opposition zone with speed?

Doesn't seem to hinder Ovie.
Because the Pens wingers are further up ice during the breakout. For the Caps, Ovy comes back for the breakout and gets speed going. For the Pens, the center supports the breakout with speed. It's something that could be corrected with coaching adjustments, which is to say don't hold your breath. And, should you have any question as to why I'm so sure about that, see Pittsburgh Penguins, Coach Dan Bylsma, Powerplay in the dictionary under MORON.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM
  #56
nwpensfan
Registered User
 
nwpensfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The 14th Tee
Country: United States
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
If Johnson doesn't start tomorrow then it is a crime against humanity.



Sidney Crosby needs to sit a game if injured. If he is healthy then he needs to be off the powerplay with Geno. Screw his feelings or opinions. This is the worst hockey of his career.
Seriously, I came to the conclusion that he has to be playing injured. He has no explosion like he normally does, he is not getting seperation he normally gets. There is no way it is from lack of effort!! Cully, you need to take it easy on him until we find out for sure, but my bet he is not any where near 100%. I am sure you are wrong in your criticism. His history deserves the benefit of the doubt.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:32 PM
  #57
Killiecrankie*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Seriously, I came to the conclusion that he has to be playing injured. He has no explosion like he normally does, he is not getting seperation he normally gets. There is no way it is from lack of effort!! Cully, you need to take it easy on him until we find out for sure, but my bet he is not any where near 100%. I am sure you are wrong in your criticism. His history deserves the benefit of the doubt.
I stated before I believe that he has to be injured.

And no, standing watching your man take the loose puck does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Even "Soft" bench rider comrie wasn't doing that.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:36 PM
  #58
nwpensfan
Registered User
 
nwpensfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The 14th Tee
Country: United States
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
I stated before I believe that he has to be injured.

And no, standing watching your man take the loose puck does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Even "Soft" bench rider comrie wasn't doing that.
Well, I respect your opinion, but he most definitely will get the benefit of the doubt from me. Having a choice between 'Soft' Comrie and injured Sid, I will take Sid every time.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:40 PM
  #59
ForzaItalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
For people that have a better memory then me (curse you illegal substances!) was Sid worse or better at this point of last season? I remember he got off to the really slow start but not much more than that.

Anyways, I reiterate from my post in the GDT: these wins don't feel like wins at all. Hopefully now that the first win at CEC is out of the way, the team will wake up. Guess we'll find out tomorrow...
He had 4 goals and 1 assists after his first 5 games. 6 goals and 4 assists after his first 10 games.

ForzaItalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:58 PM
  #60
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I forgot an important joint minus:

-Comrie/Talbot face offs. 2/6 for 33% and 5/14 for 36% respectively.

And because I'm on the subject:
+Letestu 6/10 for 60%.
Explains why Letestu got bumped to the third line (which was the only line to freakin' produce!).

L#1 - Tangradi Letestu Malkin (but let GENO bring the pick up like a best)
L#2 - Kunitz Sid Kennedy (spark these damn two please)
L#3 - Cooke Talbot Dupuis
L#4 - Pick your poison

Do this...and let everyone know before the game so Sid gets the message that we're tired of a piece of crap First Line. Take it away and make him earn it back from ROOKIES (for God's sake!)

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:58 PM
  #61
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,798
vCash: 500
I am happy we won. By the sound of it, I am also glad I missed this one...but will watch it on delay tomorrow morning.

So, what is the lucky charm...Johnson or the fact I don't watch them live? We may find out tomorrow. I will be watching Sarge and the Senators @ the Bell Centre against les Habitants. So, if Fleury plays, something's gotta give.

Glad to see Tangradi on the score sheet, too.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:59 PM
  #62
Corsi Close
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
I stated before I believe that he has to be injured.

And no, standing watching your man take the loose puck does not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Even "Soft" bench rider comrie wasn't doing that.
Why would he play this early in the season if he was injured?

Corsi Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
  #63
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,798
vCash: 500
When Sid doesn't look like Sid, it's usually because of some sort of ailment. That hip flexor thing is probably a good guess at this point.

Maybe taking both of his wingers away from him right now might help, because it sounds like Kunitz wasn't very good again tonight.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:04 PM
  #64
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Why is TK getting 10:40 in TOI when Cooke takes 3 interference calls in ONE FREAKIN' GAME?!?

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:04 PM
  #65
TopShelfGoal
Registered User
 
TopShelfGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sayre, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
PLUS
> Goligoski's play has been awesome
> Tangradi getting his 1st NHL goal
> The crowd for booing DiPietro (hilarious)
> Proving we can actually win at Console Energy Center

MINUS
> Giving up a 2-0 lead
> Refs
> Zenon Konopka on the draw

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:05 PM
  #66
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
When Sid doesn't look like Sid, it's usually because of some sort of ailment. That hip flexor thing is probably a good guess at this point.

Maybe taking both of his wingers away from him right now might help, because it sounds like Kunitz wasn't very good again tonight.
AGREED! If he's hurt, then let him rest (its early in the season). If he's not, then drop him like Letestu got dropped to the 4th line (for doggin' the morning skate probably, or telling DB how to actually play hockey).

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:10 PM
  #67
Illinest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Harrisburg
Country: United States
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
i miss jordan staal

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:11 PM
  #68
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 37,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
When Sid doesn't look like Sid, it's usually because of some sort of ailment. That hip flexor thing is probably a good guess at this point.

Maybe taking both of his wingers away from him right now might help, because it sounds like Kunitz wasn't very good again tonight.
Kunitz was a little better, which isn't saying much. Dupuis flat out sucked.

What was really annoying tonight was seeing how many times Malkin got the puck on the right wing flat footed.

Champagne wishes asked why it's such a big deal to have Malkin on the wing when the Caps get Ovy the puck when he's got speed going.

And, herein lies the real problem of having Malkin on the wing: If the Pens adjusted their controlled breakout so Malkin was getting the puck coming with speed, then being on the wing wouldn't be a big deal. But, because the Pens breakout gets the wingers all of the way up ice and the center dropping back to get the puck with speed (and then coming up to work a give and go with a flat footed winger), this is what really compromises one of the most effective parts of Malkin's game.

A coaching adjustment could take care of that, which is to say Malkin will continue to look like a neutered dog on the breakout.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:12 PM
  #69
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 37,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
Why is TK getting 10:40 in TOI when Cooke takes 3 interference calls in ONE FREAKIN' GAME?!?
Forget Cooke. Why is TK getting 10:40 (and Tangradi just over 11 minutes) when Dupuis is getting 15 minutes a game?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:17 PM
  #70
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Forget Cooke. Why is TK getting 10:40 (and Tangradi just over 11 minutes) when Dupuis is getting 15 minutes a game?
Effort = Less Playing Time

If you think DB is an awesome dude, or can pretend that you're a grinder and not actually do work in the corners/cycle the puck = 15 minutes or more of ice time!

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:18 PM
  #71
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,798
vCash: 500
I also see that Malkin's center replacements (Comrie and Talbot) suck just as much as he does on the draw.

BTW, how did Comrie look? He centered the second line for the most part?

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:18 PM
  #72
Fogel
Analytics please
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
I was at the game; crowd was decently loud especially after seeing the replay of the not-head head hit from Letang and DiPietro getting hit by Cooke. Had really nice sight lines, view of the ice was awesome.

+ Letestu - Solid in the circle and defensively, he would be an apt replacement for Staal if Staal is going to move up.

+ Tangradi - He look decent on the puck. Saw him with Sid one time, wouldn't mind seeing it again.

- Cooke - Stupid penalty shoving a guy into the goalie. Even stupider to leave the box and then run into the goalie.

- Any center not Letestu or Crosby in the faceoff circle - Malkin was weak, Talbot and Comrie are not better.

- Comeau - F you dude. Stay on the ground from a shoulder hit, draw both team doctors and then assist on both goals. You deserve to go to the World Cup and flop there in a skirt.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
  #73
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 47,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Because the Pens wingers are further up ice during the breakout. For the Caps, Ovy comes back for the breakout and gets speed going. For the Pens, the center supports the breakout with speed. It's something that could be corrected with coaching adjustments, which is to say don't hold your breath. And, should you have any question as to why I'm so sure about that, see Pittsburgh Penguins, Coach Dan Bylsma, Powerplay in the dictionary under MORON.
Haha, true enough. But at least we can't say that the "Malkin to wing" idea is a bad one ipso facto, it's mostly bad because DB won't tailor it to Malkin's strengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
- Sid/Malkin: As I said in the GDT, at some point these guys have to produce regardless of who their linemates are. Mario did it with guys like Tomas Sandstrom, Bryon Smolinski and made Steve McKenna look productive while never falling far below his 2 pts per game pace. Jagr was the best player in the world playing with Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina, Stevie Y won cups with Doug Brown as a regular linemate, Sakic played a few years with Adam Deadmarsh and Valeri Kaminsky... at some point they need to stop looking at their linemates as much and take the puck themselves and create for themselves, Sid did it last year and it got him 50 goals.
But Sid/Geno ain't Mario, Jagr had 3 other legit scoring threats in Straka, Kovalev, and Lang, Yzerman never won a scoring title, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Deadmarsh and Kamensky.

Sid and Geno would kill for Deadmarsh and Kamensky.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:19 PM
  #74
wtbipyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I also see that Malkin's center replacements (Comrie and Talbot) suck just as much as he does on the draw.

BTW, how did Comrie look? He centered the second line for the most part?
After the first period basically the lines get jumbled and no one knows what the hell is going on. Comrie looked confused and out of sorts. He made a nifty drop pass to Malkin for a one-timer early, and then basically went silent for the rest of the game.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:21 PM
  #75
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 9,135
vCash: 500
Starting Letestu on the fourth line seemed pretty questionable but, I mean... if that's what helped motivate him to play the game that he did, then I at least have to give our heavily-beleaguered head coach some credit. Not that I think he needed much motivation (he's been, arguably, the best forward on the team) but he probably could have played a little better, last game.

I do think it's a little ridiculous that Tangradi was given so little icetime, though. I mean... come on. Let the Big Dog hunt... or something.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.