HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Isles (10/15/2010)

Old
10-15-2010, 10:22 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I also see that Malkin's center replacements (Comrie and Talbot) suck just as much as he does on the draw.

BTW, how did Comrie look? He centered the second line for the most part?
Comrie was meh . . . against an injury depleted **** team . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Wickedtune

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Forget Cooke. Why is TK getting 10:40 (and Tangradi just over 11 minutes) when Dupuis is getting 15 minutes a game?
A lot of penalties. Neither TK or Tangradi kill penalties, and I can see where Bylsma could have a hard time getting them minutes. If you look at the breakdown both TK and Tangradi had slightly more even strength TOI than Dupuis. I'd like to see Tangradi get a little more PP time, but Dupuis's over six minutes of PK is the main reason for the TOI difference.

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Haha, true enough. But at least we can't say that the "Malkin to wing" idea is a bad one ipso facto, it's mostly bad because DB won't tailor it to Malkin's strengths.

But Sid/Geno ain't Mario, Jagr had 3 other legit scoring threats in Straka, Kovalev, and Lang, Yzerman never won a scoring title, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Deadmarsh and Kamensky.

Sid and Geno would kill for Deadmarsh and Kamensky.
1. About Malkin and the breakout, I just wrote that in a reply to a post from Jags. That really is the problem . . . if you tailored the breakout to utilize the winger sometimes (i.e., when Malkin is on the wing), then the biggest argument for moving him to wing would go away.

2. A true power forward and a finisher . . . don't see how either of those guys could bump Dupuis from a scoring line.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedtune View Post
A lot of penalties. Neither TK or Tangradi kill penalties, and I can see where Bylsma could have a hard time getting them minutes. If you look at the breakdown both TK and Tangradi had slightly more even strength TOI than Dupuis. I'd like to see Tangradi get a little more PP time, but Dupuis's over six minutes of PK is the main reason for the TOI difference.
Then cut Dupuis' ES TOI.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Jag68Sid87

Exactly KIRK. Exactly. If a guy kills penalties and plays on Sid's line, that virtually guarantees him 15 minutes right there.

We're getting a lot of production out of those 15 minutes, that's for sure.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:37 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Exactly KIRK. Exactly. If a guy kills penalties and plays on Sid's line, that virtually guarantees him 15 minutes right there.

We're getting a lot of production out of those 15 minutes, that's for sure.

BTW, since you didn't watch, I'll put it this way: The Pens were as pathetic as they were against Toronto. It's just that the Isles were without Tavares, Okposo, and Streit, so it was hard for them to do anything tonight . . . and, even then, Johnson had to make a few monster saves to keep it tied in regulation. Then again, if the Pens had scored-- or even generated sustained pressure-- during their 16 PP minutes in regulation against a pretty bad Isles PK, maybe I wouldn't be quite as disgusted by the coaching tonight.

Old
10-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Jag68Sid87

One positive that I saw was that hit by Letang. I love that he's stepping up his physicality. With Orpik out, it's important he does that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

+ Goligoski: Looks similar to the Goligoski we saw early last season. No longer appears to be a liability at even strength defensively and has even been impressive on the PK. Hopefully this is the "real" Gogo. He still looks too tentative on the powerplay, though.

+ Martin: So worth every penny of that contract.

+ Letestu: Everything that needs to be said about him has been said by others, but he's been incredible for us this year. Definitely going to be a regular NHLer for years to come, probably as a third or fourth line center.

+ Johnson: Didn't need to be great, but he was solid as hell and made a few difficult, timely saves.

+Engelland: I have to say I've been very impressed with him given my expectations to start the year. People have been ragging on him non-stop since preseason, but he's played smart, physical, and hasn't been a liability even against some good competition. My only complaint is that his breakout passes are pretty brutal at times, but overall I'm happy with his performance.

= Malkin: Doesn't look bad out there but definitely not a great game from him.

- Sid: Looks unfocused and tired. Not the same #87 we're used to seeing, that's for sure.

- Kunitz: He's been making a lot of terrible plays in the offensive zone. Combine that with Crosby and it's just been really frustrating when these two are on the ice. Kunitz also seems incapable of recieving a pass cleanly which kills the breakout completely.

- Comrie: I like him and don't want to see him scratched, but he was pretty invisible tonight.

- Powerplay: There's no excuse for it to look this disorganized and pathetic. The 5 on 3 powerplay was atrocious, as it's been on every other occasion that we've had one this year. There's never a sense of urgency and never any attempt to do anything but playfully pass the puck to one another. Of course putting Malkin on the left point defies common sense and is one of the biggest reasons why it's looked so inept. At least Malkin on the right side gives defenses something to defend against. Right now we have absolutely no plan and no legitimate threats on the man advantage.

On a side note, I saw Reirden with the whiteboard and marker drawing up the powerplay in OT, so maybe he's in charge? In any event nothing has changed for this team since last year on the powerplay when we had to survive without Gonchar.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
+ Goligoski: Looks similar to the Goligoski we saw early last season. No longer appears to be a liability at even strength defensively and has even been impressive on the PK. Hopefully this is the "real" Gogo. He still looks too tentative on the powerplay, though.

+ Letestu: Everything that needs to be said about him has been said by others, but he's been incredible for us this year. Definitely going to be a regular NHLer for years to come, probably as a third or fourth line center.

+ Johnson: Didn't need to be great, but he was solid as hell and made a few difficult, timely saves.

+Engelland: I have to say I've been very impressed with him given my expectations to start the year. People have been ragging on him non-stop since preseason, but he's played smart, physical, and hasn't been a liability even against some good competition. My only complaint is that his breakout passes are pretty brutal at times, but overall I'm happy with his performance.

- Sid: Looks unfocused and tired. Not the same #87 we're used to seeing, that's for sure.

- Kunitz: He's been making a lot of terrible plays in the offensive zone. Combine that with Crosby and it's just been really frustrating when these two are on the ice. Kunitz also seems incapable of recieving a pass cleanly which kills the breakout completely.

- Comrie: I like him and don't want to see him scratched, but he was pretty invisible tonight.

- Powerplay: There's no excuse for it to look this disorganized and pathetic. The 5 on 3 powerplay was atrocious, as it's been on every other occasion that we've had one this year. There's never a sense of urgency and never any attempt to do anything but playfully pass the puck to one another. Of course putting Malkin on the left point defies common sense and is one of the biggest reasons why it's looked so inept. At least Malkin on the right side gives defenses something to defend against. Right now we have absolutely no plan and no legitimate threats on the man advantage.

On a side note, I saw Reirden with the whiteboard and marker drawing up the powerplay in OT, so maybe he's in charge? In any event nothing has changed for this team since last year on the powerplay when we had to survive without Gonchar.
Yep. In fact, I don't have anything bad to say about the way our defense has performed, other than that Hutchinson isn't very good.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:46 PM
cadow

ok soo tsn, nhl on the fly and sport center said it was a CLEAN shoulder to shoulder hit... soo why the **** did letang get a game misconduct ok penalty maybe at the smallest thing if he gets suspended its a debauchery

cadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:47 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
The only plus to the this game is that all of our injured players are 1 day closer to returning. What a mess.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:50 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

+Johnson
+Letestu
+Tangradi
+Martin
+Engelland
+Letang (******* the refs!)
+Cooke (penalties aside)
+Gogo
+Crowd (Booing has never sounded so good)

-sid
-geno
-Bylsma
-PP
-Comrie
-Kunitz
-PP
-PP
-EFFIN' PP!!!!!
-Officiating X1000000

I too would like to give special recognition to Engelland in particular. In all honesty, I'm starting to become a believer in this guy. He's an absolute disaster with the puck, but he brings a mean-streak and physical presence in the defensive zone that our blueline has sorely been needing (aside from Orpik of course). I believe Errey even mentioned how he hurt and Isles player tonight after laying a massive hit on him on the PK. He also does a great job of protecting our goalies, which is always a plus. In all honesty, I've liked what I've been seeing from him even more than Lovejoy, which is rather surprising...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:54 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Comrie was meh . . . against an injury depleted **** team . . .
How much ice time did he even get tonight? Hardly heard his name all night.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:02 PM
MtlPenFan

Big - to NHL Gamecenter.

The only thing keeping me going through a horrible supper with a bunch of people I can't stand was coming home to watch this game.

Hey *******s, when I choose the setting "Scores OFF", it's because when I click on the game I want to see, I don't want to know the score.

I don't want to see "FINAL OT" to let me know the game was tied after 60 minutes. It kind of defeats the purpose.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:09 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
How much ice time did he even get tonight? Hardly heard his name all night.

14 minutes

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadow View Post
ok soo tsn, nhl on the fly and sport center said it was a CLEAN shoulder to shoulder hit... soo why the **** did letang get a game misconduct ok penalty maybe at the smallest thing if he gets suspended its a debauchery
Because - thanks to the wonderful head shot rule - every hit where the recipient doesn't get right back up will be penalized from here on in.

Last edited by Dogbert*: 10-15-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:35 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post

+ Letestu: Everything that needs to be said about him has been said by others, but he's been incredible for us this year. Definitely going to be a regular NHLer for years to come, probably as a third or fourth line center.+ Johnson: Didn't need to be great, but he was solid as hell and made a few difficult, timely saves.

He is playing like 2nd line center right now. Guy just has a feel for the way the game is played.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:45 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I only got to watch part of the game (thanks to the NHL Gamecenter glitch for Droid) and thought that defensively we were very strong when considering who was playing and Letang's misconduct.

Hopefully Gogo can keep this up. No injuries, please.

Sid sucks right now. The PP made me sick tonight, especially the 4 minute version.

Eaton looked nice tonight. I'm glad to see he's a veteran leader on their team and playing well. He'll always be a favorite of mine (I'm a sucker for solid yet unspectacular defensemen).

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:10 AM
regard

+Letestu-Is it too early for me to point out hes scoring as well or better as the more highly touted rookies in the NHL?

+Tangradi-More icetime plz HCDB thx.

+Lovejoy-Does a pretty good job, mosltly unnoticable. Thats often a good sign.

+Engellend-Much more servicable then I ever would have thought, and that really is a complement.

+ Third line, except for Cooke. We get it your a pain in the *** now leave the goalie(actress) alone.

-Sidney

-Did Sidney teach the whole team his patented drop pass?

-Dupuis, Comrie, Kunitz for being invisible again.

-Rupp scored, certainly this means DB feels justified and will increase his Ice time even more.

-Forget malkin stationary on the wall. Am I seeing things or were there multiple wingers doing this tonight? Is waiting on the right wall our new breakout technique? WTF is that?

Also suggested this somewhere else but id like to see Kenopka signed in the offseason to replace Adams/Rupp/Godard so that we can allocate cap space differently.

I find I actually like Errey, hes quick to catch the little things. Too bad he always has to correct Steigy who called it (incorrectly) first and clearly doesnt want to tell him to just shut the **** up.

Comeau was hurt so bad by letang that he played immediatly on the PP? Whatever I guess with your best two forwards and D out you have to be like that but you still get a: Screw you.

Last edited by regard: 10-16-2010 at 12:16 AM.
regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:47 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

... thank gawd Gogo scored there cause seconds earlier in OT he missed the net from the half circle right in front ...the 2nd time in the game he did that. for all the *****ing that goes on here about missed point shots, there's no excuse to miss them that badly at half the distance.

+ Rupp goal- maybe he gets some of you guys off his mother rupping back for a while...he's not going anywhere folks

+ - BJ with some key saves... are you watching MAF?

- DP - ON THE SLO MO REPLAY,HE MOVED INTO THAT COOKE HIT AS MUCH AS COOKE DID (opps sorry bout the caps) still a penalty but no where near as bad as the isles crew mentioned. cookie was stopped outside the crease and jumped when the shot came

- enuff of the friggin no look behind the back passes for christ's sake

- what the fluck are these officials watching? 4 guys couldn't see that there was no head involved in Letang's hit? to boot, they had a chance to put in isle in the box 2 times during their 3 min major PP and didn't even it up...unheard of by NHL standards... looked like we had control of the game at that point too

they screwed up on england's penalty at the end too. how is he supposed the know the isle isn't gonna play the puck... IT JUST WENT RIGHT PAST HIM??

lastcupever75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:51 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadow View Post
that has to get rescinded once the league takes a look. cause if you accumulate 2 of them, your suspended for 1 game

Old
10-16-2010, 12:55 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

almost for the biggest minus

- sounds like the country club atmosphere is back in effect. isles broadcast crew mentioned DB wasn't happy with the morning skate with the players looking lethargic with no jump or excitement to them. they alluded to thats why comrie was scratched the night before

Old
10-16-2010, 12:59 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
... thank gawd Gogo scored there cause seconds earlier in OT he missed the net from the half circle right in front ...the 2nd time in the game he did that. for all the *****ing that goes on here about missed point shots, there's no excuse to miss them that badly at half the distance.

+ Rupp goal- maybe he gets some of you guys off his mother rupping back for a while...he's not going anywhere folks

+ - BJ with some key saves... are you watching MAF?

- DP - ON THE SLO MO REPLAY,HE MOVED INTO THAT COOKE HIT AS MUCH AS COOKE DID (opps sorry bout the caps) still a penalty but no where near as bad as the isles crew mentioned. cookie was stopped outside the crease and jumped when the shot came

- enuff of the friggin no look behind the back passes for christ's sake

- what the fluck are these officials watching? 4 guys couldn't see that there was no head involved in Letang's hit? to boot, they had a chance to put in isle in the box 2 times during their 3 min major PP and didn't even it up...unheard of by NHL standards... looked like we had control of the game at that point too

they screwed up on england's penalty at the end too. how is he supposed the know the isle isn't gonna play the puck... IT JUST WENT RIGHT PAST HIM??
You should have watched the Isles broadcast for the penalty in overtime.

Errey correctly pointed out that it was Mottau hooking Crosby when he had the open chance that was the penalty. The refs sent Jurcina to the box instead.

After the game I switched it over to the Isles broadcast (which you can do with Gamecenter now) just to see what they thought of the penalty, just out of homerism curiosity. They were losing their minds because since Jurcina went to the box, and they couldn't find a single thing he had done wrong because they should have been looking for Mottau.

We really started looking like the team we love during the second period, and those idiots botched it by calling that Letang penalty.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:10 AM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

yeah, for a second they thought geno was high sticked and they sent the wrong guy off. i did see someone chop down on him.

but, when they followed the play from the beginning where jurcina came into the zone, thats where i saw the hook motteu put on sid, although they didn't see it and kept on b*tching

Old
10-16-2010, 02:24 AM
TopShelfGoal

I just watched the post game videos from the webiste and Johnson cracks me up. Seems pretty happy after the win and even shrugs off the Pens power play (1/8). Wonder if he'll get a couple starts in a row this season. Says he couldn't tell you that last time he did.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote