HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Maple Leafs @ Rangers - 10/15/10

Old
10-16-2010, 02:08 PM
CellarDweller0

vCash: 500
I dunno. Do you really think the Rangers can go tit-for-tat in this department? Do you expect there won't be retaliation? There are some pretty tough guys on the Leafs not to mention the Leafs have way more healthy bodies. Just say'in.

If the Rangers were to send a message that time has passed now, they should have done it during the game.

It's not like Gab's isn't made of glass either.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Sit Hank against the Leafs if we decide to go balls out. No need getting him run.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:46 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here......

-The second period of last nights game was the worst 20 minutes of hockey I have seen from the NY Rangers since the lockout. That includes the thrashing at the hands of the Stars a couple years ago when Vally couldn't stop a beach ball. It was that bad.

-MDZ and Marc Staal were horrific in the 2nd period. MDZ played better in the 3rd period. Staal might have had one of his worst games as a Ranger last night. He was consistently bad all game. The dumb penalty in overtime was a perfect way to end his horrendous night. Phil Kessel walked around Staal like he was a traffic cone early in the game and Henrik had to bail Staal out from being on a highlight reel.

-If you are feeling good about getting a point in last nights game, you shouldn't be. We needed two fluke goals and Henrik standing on his head to get an OT loss in our home opener.

-The way our defense played in that 2nd period we could have been down 6 or 7 goals and it wouldn't have been Henriks fault at all. That is how high quality the Leafs scoring chances were.

-Matt Gilroy is 10 feet away from Armstrong hitting Gaborik and he does nothing. You can teach players many things. Toughness isn't one of them. It doesn't matter how many times Torts asks Gilroy to play with more jam, the guy isn't tough. It isn't just the none response to the Gaborik hit. Gilroy has mastered the art of avoiding physical contact. You can't blame it on his skating because the guy can fly. I wish I could put Petr Pruchas heart into Gilroys skill set.

-The next thing I'm about to say will no doubt rub some the wrong way but I don't really care. After Gaborik was injured on the Armstrong hit. The next time Phil Kessel was on the ice you tell Boogaard or Prust to jump him. We have last change so this wouldn't be difficult. Here is the likely result of this action. Kessel turtles (understandably) and Prust or Boogaard gets hit with 2, 5, 10 NHL special. You may have to end up killing off a 7 min PP. The Leafs may score on that PP and win the game. However, you send a message to the rest of the NHL that if you come after one of our top players we will attack your best player with absolutely zero concern about the consequences. That is a message that is worth sending early on in the year. Boogaard fighting Orr sends no message. You have to go after their best player. Eye for an eye. It sounds barbaric but it is the way it has to happen.

QFMFT

I was screaming for this exact same scenario last night. This is how you stop this **** from happening, because it sends the message right off the bat, "You **** with ours, we **** with yours, consequences be damned" Torts was absolutely gutless last night, and showed that he cant back up the "fiery" talk that he loves to spew.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 02:48 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agree with the whole post Tom, but especially the last point. First off, I thought the mere presence of Boogaard would serve as a deterant to this kind of stuff. Guess not. But even if its not going to stop that kind of behavior towards our star player, its the coaching staff's job to make sure the team finishes it. Tortorella talks a big game and tries to come across as a tough guy, but his teams these last couple of seasons have withered during beyond obvious situations where retribution is warranted.

If Avery unveiling his clown act and chopping Komisarek across the ankles is the only thing in this team's arsenal, then we have some serious problems....and Boogaard is just another overpaid stiff wasting a roster spot
I said this in the GDT and got lambasted for it, completely 100% true and Torts needs to start backing up his talk of toughness.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

-The second period of last nights game was the worst 20 minutes of hockey I have seen from the NY Rangers since the lockout. That includes the thrashing at the hands of the Stars a couple years ago when Vally couldn't stop a beach ball. It was that bad.

-MDZ and Marc Staal were horrific in the 2nd period. MDZ played better in the 3rd period. Staal might have had one of his worst games as a Ranger last night. He was consistently bad all game. The dumb penalty in overtime was a perfect way to end his horrendous night. Phil Kessel walked around Staal like he was a traffic cone early in the game and Henrik had to bail Staal out from being on a highlight reel.

-If you are feeling good about getting a point in last nights game, you shouldn't be. We needed two fluke goals and Henrik standing on his head to get an OT loss in our home opener.

-The way our defense played in that 2nd period we could have been down 6 or 7 goals and it wouldn't have been Henriks fault at all. That is how high quality the Leafs scoring chances were.

-Matt Gilroy is 10 feet away from Armstrong hitting Gaborik and he does nothing. You can teach players many things. Toughness isn't one of them. It doesn't matter how many times Torts asks Gilroy to play with more jam, the guy isn't tough. It isn't just the none response to the Gaborik hit. Gilroy has mastered the art of avoiding physical contact. You can't blame it on his skating because the guy can fly. I wish I could put Petr Pruchas heart into Gilroys skill set.

-The next thing I'm about to say will no doubt rub some the wrong way but I don't really care. After Gaborik was injured on the Armstrong hit. The next time Phil Kessel was on the ice you tell Boogaard or Prust to jump him. We have last change so this wouldn't be difficult. Here is the likely result of this action. Kessel turtles (understandably) and Prust or Boogaard gets hit with 2, 5, 10 NHL special. You may have to end up killing off a 7 min PP. The Leafs may score on that PP and win the game. However, you send a message to the rest of the NHL that if you come after one of our top players we will attack your best player with absolutely zero concern about the consequences. That is a message that is worth sending early on in the year. Boogaard fighting Orr sends no message. You have to go after their best player. Eye for an eye. It sounds barbaric but it is the way it has to happen.
I've felt that way many times however; once you start doing stuff like that, those things will happen to your team more often then you like. Opposing players will continue to take runs at your star players. Like many people suggest, deal with it then and there. It's written in stone in the NHL that if you run a goalie or go after a star, you will be punished for it. Every team needs that mentality.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:04 PM
CellarDweller0

It just blows my mind that an intent to injure is being proposed when that is far from what happened to Gabs. There was no intent there but w/e I don't see this working out for the Rangers tbh. Can you afford similar retribution with all your go-to-guys in the infirmary?

Old
10-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Really? It was a hit from behind a defenseless player, and as such Colby had an excellent view of who it was. It was a cheap shot that injured one of the NHL's stars. However, it was a Toronto player, where the rules are different. Same as when Phaneuf ran Lundqvist. Add to that the linesman who made no effort to avoid 2 Rangers on a 4 on 4 resulting in a goal, and it was bizarro night.

That said, the Leafs were dominant for the first 40 minutes. They were impressive for sure.
... sigh. I dunno, I hate it when fans resort to this kinda stuff. The rules aren't different for Toronto. This just makes it sound like a tin foil hat thing. I mean, if the league has some grand conspiracy in place to help the Leafs' succeed, well someone's really dropped the ball over the last 43 years.

The Rangers would really be better off focusing on the two points at hand here. The East is always tight and two points at the end of the season can make or break you. You don't want to be going into a game thinking about retaliation. The best retaliation would be to take away two points that may or may not be the difference between Toronto getting in and not getting in - who knows? But just my two cents.

Gutchecktime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
There's that AHL team with an NHL goalie that I've grown accustomed to watching for a couple of seasons. Terrible defense, a million cough ups and mistakes and a terrible offense where we always shot it wide on the few chances we had.

We shouldn't have had a point and should be glad that we got one. We can thank Boyle and Lundqvist for that.

And to top it off, I had to watch the game on the Toronto feed. Holy Mackaraw. Just brutal.
Avery did, too. 2 handed slash, comes out of the box, has 2 guys try to check him and forget about the puck, tying the game. Then drawing a penalty when Komi shot him in the arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Just don't do it to Komisarek, who goes down like a prancing soccer player.
or Avery. You give him a light tap and he pretends he got shot. Give the Leafs a penalty for diving (which was BS) and not on Avery. Hope the Leafs send a message to him next game. The guy is an even bigger diver than Kovalev.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Blazephr

God-forbid this many Ranger fans went to the Leafs board after a win. I've gotten infractions (trolling) for less than what these guys have posted.

Leaf fans better enjoy their little run here at the start of the season, because you know damn well they will never keep this up. They're essentially blowing their load right now.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:10 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
God-forbid this many Ranger fans went to the Leafs board after a win. I've gotten infractions (trolling) for less than what these guys have posted.

Leaf fans better enjoy their little run here at the start of the season, because you know damn well they will never keep this up. They're essentially blowing their load right now.
But don't worry, you guys can definitely keep your current pace up. I would not be surprised at all. Most of us don't expect to keep this up but if your team started 4-0 you would be happy.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I was at the game and didn't see the hit on Gaborik that injured him..was it a clean or dirty hit?

10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
NYR Viper

Does anyone have a link to the pregame stuff? I missed that part and want to see the intros and such.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Does anyone have a link to the pregame stuff? I missed that part and want to see the intros and such.
Ace Freehely was pretty scary!!! LMAO

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I was at the game and didn't see the hit on Gaborik that injured him..was it a clean or dirty hit?
In my opinion, it was 50-50 between a board. It was called, I think, because of how Gaborik looked after the hit.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:53 PM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
In my opinion, it was 50-50 between a board. It was called, I think, because of how Gaborik looked after the hit.
Finally someone talking some sense. The hit was a penalty but it was marginal...it could have been let go but it was a good call. Shame Gabs got hurt, he's a fantastic player, but that's how the game goes. Hope he returns early for you guys.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:47 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Tortorella talks a big game and tries to come across as a tough guy, but his teams these last couple of seasons have withered during beyond obvious situations where retribution is warranted.
Well said. Complain about the players all you want, but the reason why we have a $1.6M "enforcer" stapled to the bench is coaching. Especially when we have last change.

There's lots of hot air being blown around but this team is as cowardly as it's ever been.

10-16-2010, 10:32 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Leafs fan here... I just can't believe how many of you are complaining about the hit on gaborik. Hits like that happen 20times a game. It's unfortunate he got injured but it's partnof the game and you knew he was injury prone when you got him.

Secondly, you call that dirty? Avery slashed Komi TWICE and then cowared like a baby when Komi gave him a little tap.

Third, how old are you children? Take a run at kessel because your glass got broken? Grow up it's the game and our enforcers would put you in the dirt.

Be happy you came away from that pounding with a point

OptimusForever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:51 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutus Liber View Post
Well lets see:

Komi - *****, to be blunt, but meh Dubinsky would beat his ass
Dion - Great hitter, not so great fighter, but throw him up against Girardi, and Dan wins
Orr - scared ****less of the boogy man, enough said
Brown - Prust beat his ass last night
Beauchemin - seriously?
Armstrong - Doesnt fight, so dont see why hes in there
I'd love to see a Dubi/Komi rematch. Their showdown during Dubi's rookie year was one sided, but Dubi's fighting has improved so much that I'd give him an edge.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Do NOT feed the trolls. Report them and let the moderators deal with them!!!

10-17-2010, 12:07 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
put Avery in Armstrong's shoes, and switch Gabby with Kessel. Same scenario, Leaf fans would be losing their minds. they would be calling for the electric chair had Avery injured Kessel in the same manner.
I don't think we would, at least I wouldn't. Like I've said before, the hit was marginal at best but it was illegal and the penalty was deserved, but it has to be acknowledge that Gabs is just one of those fragile players. It's not like EVERYONE doesn't know that.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Bardof425*

Your enforcers would what? Orr spent the whole night shaking at the thought of going with Boogard. What enforcers? Komisarek, that panty waste. We are likely not a playoff team and you gave away a 3 -1 lead after two of our best players got hurt. If the friggin' refs weren't Canadian and Giguere didn't make a ridiculous save on Prust with 15 seconds left you would left the greatest city in the world with no points. So, take your weasily rhetoric and go back to your own boards and resume blowing each other.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:45 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it was cheap and dirty...im a huge sean avery fan, but he deserved a game for that...at least.

No doubt about it. I expected 2-4 games to be honest.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:23 AM
CellarDweller0

I don't know if this hostility is directed to any of my posts but I wasn't trolling, sorry if it came across that way. Every fanbase has their quota of idiots and fortunately most them sound like Bardof425 (among some others) so they are easy to spot. I won't paint all Ranger fans with the same brush because I hold Rangers fans in high regard when it comes to hockey knowledge.

So yes, we know our 4-0 record won't last...no surprise there.
Yes, we know the hit on Gabs wasn't legal. All I was trying to say is if it was anyone else on the Rangers they would have easily survived the hit.
Yes, I would have been upset if it was Kessel receiving that hit but those types of hits happen quite frequently.
Yes, I would also be upset if during the game our enforcer didn't do something to send a message.

I just don't see what the big deal was, both teams walked away with points. If anything Rangers fans have something positive to take from the game and that the rest of the team rose to the occasion with their stars to get that point. Good on the them, I was impressed (and worried) with the comeback.

I guess haters will just chose to hate.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Pizza

My Rant/Opinion.

IMO it's time for this whole team; and that includes the head coach, to step the $%^& up!!!

The whole rubbing your eye's, I'm exhausted thing I saw post game from Tort's was lousy. It was a pathetic form of whining.

Sometimes you just have to treat hockey for what it is on a fundamental level: WAR.

Those of you that don't get this just never will. If a team does not own it they will never do any thing.

Nice guys don't win Stanley Cups with out having some take no prisoners guys standing right at their shoulders.

Gaborik gets run, gets injured the game should not end (no matter what) with out Kessel's head being put in a box. Instead he runs all over the place, all night long and wins the game for the leafs.

You may get suspensions galore and lose the next five games, but the message will be crystal. You run our best player, we'll put yours in the hospital. Period. But that will never fly in this sissified game presided over by hockey "intelectuals" and "experts". In the stands, in the booth, and in the front office's and league office's. They have completely tore the soul out of NA hockey. That's my 2 cents on the game.

As for having two key players out, maybe it's just me but I love this scenario.

To quote a hockey guy I really respect:

"One man's fate is another man's fortune"

The young guys have to prove that they deserve to be called the future of this franchise. I want the most intense scrutiny to fall on the likes of Callahan, Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Del Zotto, Stepan, and Anisimov.

I want to see who can assume leadership and who will take a back seat or fold.

I've been waiting a long time to see what we're about to see.

LGR.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:11 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:

eye for an eye?!? its not that Wilson sent Orr to injure him, right?
I mean, I would be upset too if our star player is hurt but what you describe here are 2 completely different scenarios and what message would be sent? "our superstar is made of glass so dont touch him and let one of the best scorers in the league walk free in your zone or we will kill you, your family and friends"
and I doubt Boogard or Prust could even get Kessel, but we`ll see...

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote