HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars to send up to 6 players to Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Stars to send up to 6 players to Hamilton

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=3811

MONTREAL – The talent pool available to the Hamilton Bulldogs might just have grown a little deeper.

The Canadiens and Dallas Stars announced Wednesday that they had signed a one-year player loan agreement that will see the Stars provide Montreal’s AHL affiliate with several players for the 2004-05 season. Dallas is expected to place up to six players with Hamilton, including a goaltender, for the upcoming campaign.

“The Dallas Stars are very pleased about this player loan agreement with the Montreal Canadiens,” said Stars General Manager Doug Armstrong. “Some of our top prospects will get the opportunity to play and develop with the Bulldogs while providing depth for the club.”

Armstrong, who has been in the Stars front office for 13 years, will be entrusting the guidance of his young charges to a man he knows well. Doug Jarvis, the former Canadiens center and current Hamilton head coach, worked as an assistant coach in Dallas from 1993-94 through 2001-02. Armstrong, for his part, served as Montreal GM Bob Gainey’s assistant with the Stars from 1992-93 through 2001-02.

Hamilton will enter its third season as the primary developmental affiliate of the Canadiens in 2004-05. The Bulldogs were the 2004 North Division champions of the AHL during the regular season, posting a 41-25-10-4 record for 96 points. Hamilton came within a victory of the league’s Calder Cup championship in 2002-03, yet lost a decisive Game 7 to the Houston Aeros in the Finals.

Old
06-09-2004, 04:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Damn it that's a lot of players. I wonder what this means for Damphousse, Michaud and Fichaud. One of them I assumed wouldn't be resigned, now I wonder if JF is gone as well, or will they go with 3 goalies like they did last year. Fichaud would be the guy to bring back imo, Danis, Fichaud (playing every so often as the 3rd guy) and the dallas goalie)

Also I wonder what this means for Cote, Robinson, Flood, Locke, Urquhart, Glenn, if they will be signed or not, since they don't have to be (except the first two who are FA's this summer)

Old
06-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Top Corner2

Mybe we are planning to bring up a lot of guys this year.....

when you think about it there are a lot of players that should be making the next step.......

OR

maybe we're planning on getting rid of a few??

Old
06-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Isn't the defense gonna be thin for the dogs next season? Here's hoping there will be at least 1 or 2 Ds in there.

Old
06-09-2004, 05:39 PM
NewHabsEra*

Simple.. Hossa, Higgins, Plekanec and probably Beauchemin are gonna make the team while Gratton is probably gonna play in Europe... If ever Gainey can't sign Kastsitsyn, we will have a serious lack of pure talents then!

I really don't expect Urquhart and Locke make a huge impact if ever they got signed, still too much raw and will take time to ajust to the pro level (Im less worry about Lambert, he is more suited for the pro level at the moment) while guys like Milroy or Ferland are only depth players at the moment (third or fourth line), just not valuable top 6 fowards!

I personnally think Its a good thing to share the farm with the Stars' best prospects, every kids will have to earn their ice time and its the way to go to develop prospects properly!

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 06-09-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old
06-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

6 is to much!!! I tought it was ok last year with Tampa Bay but 6 players of Dallas is to much. They will ship us a goaler when we don't need one...And now, we will probably have a log jam in every position. It's bad...

Old
06-09-2004, 05:51 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
6 is to much!!! I tought it was ok last year with Tampa Bay but 6 players of Dallas is to much. They will ship us a goaler when we don't need one...And now, we will probably have a log jam in every position. It's bad...
Maybe Gainey has something in mind?, who knows???, or maybe one of the goalies will be a backup for the Habs next season.

Old
06-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Marksman

Would be fun to see Canadiens Korpikari and Stars Jokinen to play for same Bulldogs team at some point, oh, and Puurula & Miettinen too. They played for same teams in Finland.

Old
06-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Maybe Gainey has something in mind?, who knows???, or maybe one of the goalies will be a backup for the Habs next season.
Or maybe Gainey and Armstrong are working on a deal that sends Michaud and handful of other prospects to Stars organization for Arnott.

Old
06-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Famous Flames

Stars fan here. Thought I would check in since our teams are going to be sharing players.

Don't expect much in the way of D. The Stars don't really have many good D prospects that won't be with the big club or playing at a lower level. Jancevski is about it.

In terms of forwards, it depends on who makes the team. Junior Lessard (Hobey Baker winner) is probably a good bet to be in Hamilton at least part of the season. Mietinen possibly too. Unfortunately, the Stars best forward prospects are in Europe.

I assume Yann Davis will be the Bulldogs' goalie? That will be interesting with the Stars supplying a goalie because whoever it is (probably either Ellis or Cash), they will be good and more experienced that Davis. If it is Ellis, you will be very impressed.

Old
06-09-2004, 07:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Flames
Stars fan here. Thought I would check in since our teams are going to be sharing players.

Don't expect much in the way of D. The Stars don't really have many good D prospects that won't be with the big club or playing at a lower level. Jancevski is about it.

In terms of forwards, it depends on who makes the team. Junior Lessard (Hobey Baker winner) is probably a good bet to be in Hamilton at least part of the season. Mietinen possibly too. Unfortunately, the Stars best forward prospects are in Europe.

I assume Yann Davis will be the Bulldogs' goalie? That will be interesting with the Stars supplying a goalie because whoever it is (probably either Ellis or Cash), they will be good and more experienced that Davis. If it is Ellis, you will be very impressed.

Now that would be cool if Lessard is with the team, I got to see him a number of times this year and I like the kid, good hands. I still can't believe we are taking a goalie, as we have Danis. I am surprised cause I guess this means Damphousee is gone. I figured Fichaud was done and Michaud would be in the ECHL, but they just brought in Damphousee.

Old
06-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Now that would be cool if Lessard is with the team, I got to see him a number of times this year and I like the kid, good hands. I still can't believe we are taking a goalie, as we have Danis. I am surprised cause I guess this means Damphousee is gone. I figured Fichaud was done and Michaud would be in the ECHL, but they just brought in Damphousee.
I dunno, Lessard probably *should* be in Hamilton (well, he will if there's a lockout, of course) but you have to think he had a pretty strong indication from Dallas that he'd be on the big team, otherwise he probably wouldn't have signed there.

One good thing about the Dallas connection is that they have so many European prospects, that they don't actually have very many candidates to play in the AHL. I guess we might get to see...
* Ellis or Smith as goalies (I'm guessing Bacashihua moves up as Turco's backup, but again if there's a lockout, he's in the mix too)

* Bararuk or Cox, kind of longshottish generic forwards

* maybe Jancevski, or MacMillan or Berenzweig if they re-sign them for generic depth on defense

* hopefully an occasional glimpse of some of the Europeans like Tjarnqvist or Miettinen (or Jokinen?), but there's pretty good odds of those guys sticking in Dallas if they are overhauling their lineup.

I dunno, I was initially pretty upset by the agreement, but it doesn't look all that bad after some more thought. Although it does become more complicated by a lockout, if none of our main guys is going to be moving up.

Old
06-10-2004, 09:45 AM
eddy

I don't like these agreements with farm teams, T-bay's was bad enough and that was only 3 or 4 but 6. Sure it makes the Hamilton team better but i care more about the habs prospects getting to play at the best level they possibly can and now 6 won't get that chance.

Old
06-10-2004, 10:56 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
I don't like these agreements with farm teams, T-bay's was bad enough and that was only 3 or 4 but 6. Sure it makes the Hamilton team better but i care more about the habs prospects getting to play at the best level they possibly can and now 6 won't get that chance.
Hard to pass judgment until you find out what is being added. If we're talking 1 top line player, 1 2nd line player, 1 3rd line checker, 1 4th line grinder, 1 D and 1 Goalie, then are we really losing much? If anything, we're potentially increasing the quality of the lines that are players get to develop with and it may help them to increase their own abilities playing alongside other good prospects.

Besides, if Higgins, Plekanec and Hainsey make the lineup this year, and Perezhogin is obviously not returning, then technically, we're losing 4 players and gaining 6. A few might be let go, some might get assigned elsewhere. We might sign Locke or Urquhart although Urquhart will probably play another season in the Q.

All this to say that there's probably not much to worry about and I'm sure Gainey thought about the effects and believes it will help the real prospects (those who have a real chance at making the NHL) more than it will hurt them.

Old
06-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Jackmangurl05

Send a message via MSN to Jackmangurl05 Send a message via Yahoo to Jackmangurl05
I was wondering, wasn't Hamilton a merge of the farm team of Montreal and Edmonton ??? What will happen to the Edmonton players ???

Old
06-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primeaugurl25
I was wondering, wasn't Hamilton a merge of the farm team of Montreal and Edmonton ??? What will happen to the Edmonton players ???
Hamilton was a merge of Montreal and Edmonton two seasons ago (counting the one that just ended). It came to an end after Hamilton's loss to the Houston Aeros in the Calder Cup Finals a year ago, and Edmonton got their own team after that (I think the Toronto Roadrunners). This season, we had a deal with Tampa Bay, allowing them to put at most 4 players in Hamilton's lineup.

Old
06-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Jackmangurl05

Send a message via MSN to Jackmangurl05 Send a message via Yahoo to Jackmangurl05
Thanks for the information, so basically, Hamilton is almost all Montreal farm team with the exception of few players from other team, correct ? What will this bring to the Dallas Stars to lend 6 players to Hamilton ??? Don't they have their own farm team ???

Old
06-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Thanks for the information, so basically, Hamilton is almost all Montreal farm team with the exception of few players from other team, correct ? What will this bring to the Dallas Stars to lend 6 players to Hamilton ??? Don't they have their own farm team ???
Basically, yes. What does this bring to the Dallas Stars.. is that their prospects can develop in a good league, the AHL. They don't own their own farm team anymore, so that's basically the only way they can go to play their prospects in the AHL.

Old
06-10-2004, 11:31 AM
markov`

Miettinen - Plekanec - Kastsitsyn

Old
06-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Jackmangurl05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Basically, yes. What does this bring to the Dallas Stars.. is that their prospects can develop in a good league, the AHL. They don't own their own farm team anymore, so that's basically the only way they can go to play their prospects in the AHL.
Thanks for the info !!!

Old
06-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Guy Caballero

Look at the bright side. If Turgeon plays like he did last year, we may get to see him in the bleu-blanc-et-rouge once again.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Famous Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Look at the bright side. If Turgeon plays like he did last year, we may get to see him in the bleu-blanc-et-rouge once again.
Turgeon actually played ok last season, but point taken.

A couple of other players you might see are David Bararuk and Marius Holtet. I am not sure what you can expect out of either of them. Bararuk played very well in Idaho, not as well in Utah. I think Bararuk has some decent upside. Holtet was a surprise signing. Speculation is the team thought he would develop better in NA that Europe. The most consistent knock I have seen on him is he needs to work on his defensive awareness.

Also, I should have mentioned that Dallas has a similar sharing arrangement with the Houston Aeros, so not all of Dallas' AHL level talent will be in Hamilton.

Old
06-10-2004, 04:50 PM
saskhab

Damphousse? We really don't have much use for him long term. He was just a longshot that we gave another chance. If the Stars send us Smith, then Danis will be broken in next year and likely will eventually be the starter. If they send us Bacashihua, he'll be the starter. I think Ellis is the frontrunner for backing up Turco in Dallas, as he was excellent in the AHL and then (after Utah was eliminated) got sent to the ECHL and won the championship and was named MVP in the playoffs.

So we'll likely have 4 goaltenders in camp (if there is one, yaddy yadda): Theo, Garon, Danis, Michaud, with Theo & Garon in the NHL, Danis in the AHL, and Michaud in the ECHL. Perfect.

I assume Dallas will send us prospects they don't anticipate being called up this year, since they have a shared affiliate (with Minnesota) in Houston. So their top prospects like Lessard, Daley, Meittenen, etc that could end up in the AHL will play for them, since it's a short distance to Dallas for potential callups.

Old
06-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Habs

Quote:
I have it from a good source, they could all be facing the electric chair.

Old
06-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
Damphousse? We really don't have much use for him long term. He was just a longshot that we gave another chance. If the Stars send us Smith, then Danis will be broken in next year and likely will eventually be the starter. If they send us Bacashihua, he'll be the starter. I think Ellis is the frontrunner for backing up Turco in Dallas, as he was excellent in the AHL and then (after Utah was eliminated) got sent to the ECHL and won the championship and was named MVP in the playoffs.

So we'll likely have 4 goaltenders in camp (if there is one, yaddy yadda): Theo, Garon, Danis, Michaud, with Theo & Garon in the NHL, Danis in the AHL, and Michaud in the ECHL. Perfect.

I assume Dallas will send us prospects they don't anticipate being called up this year, since they have a shared affiliate (with Minnesota) in Houston. So their top prospects like Lessard, Daley, Meittenen, etc that could end up in the AHL will play for them, since it's a short distance to Dallas for potential callups.
I just hope that if you're right, we won't be playing those guys too much. Why would we want second tier prospects.. we could sign ours.

Closed Thread