HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#5: Penguins @ Flyers - Saturday, Oct. 16, 2010 - 6:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-16-2010, 10:01 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
It's just really? Booing your own, it's uncalled for. I mean, did they not play well? Sure. But we don't deserve a boo.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
It's just really? Booing your own, it's uncalled for. I mean, did they not play well? Sure. But we don't deserve a boo.
Did they boo the team tonight? I started watching the Phillies at the third goal against and stopped watching at the fourth against.

Considering how early into the season it is and how many close goals we had, they weren't worthy of being booed. However, everyone should know that the vast majority of people that go to games are casual fans at best (thus the popularity of the Crosby Sucks chant) and I guess I'm just not surprised that casual fans are dumb enough to boo their team this early in the season.

At least we aren't Habs fans. They boo their team in the preseason.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:21 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Those refs were almost as bad as the umps on the phillies game tonight.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
It's a known fact Philadelphia will boo their own blood if they are not performing. It's frustrating to watch your own not compete or fail. Thus you have the fans of Philly on their back. I sure as well won't pat Chris Pronger on the back and "It's okay Chris, you'll get them next time Mr. Pronger!" while sending him a charming heartwarming wink And not because he is to tall for me to pat him on the back either. It's tough love. I don't see what is wrong with it. Then again, I didn't get to see the game tonight.. If it was the doing of the officials/Pens role play, then the booing should be intended at those

How did Bob look?
Main points to the game?

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Flyerfan4life

you can tell Richards wanted to say something about tonites officiating but couldnt..

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:57 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
2 huge penalties in the game. The first one is the Carter 4 minute which was ****ing farcical. He checks Goligoski in the face with his stick, there's blood all over the place, and you're ****ing complaining about that? Give me a ****ing break. How about Lavi skates Carter until he doesn't do that again. It was ****ing moronic.

The Giroux penalty, if possible, was even worse. I mean, what the **** was that? Some kind of ****ing pirouette culminating in him throwing his stick into Goligoski's legs? It was ****ing farcical. Sure, there were some BS penalties, there ALWAYS are when we play the Pens, but when you crosscheck guys in the mouth in front of the refs and put your stick between their legs (and we all know how the Pens like that), what the hell are you expecting?

I mean, I'm sorry, but I have ZERO sympathy, those were both absolutely horrible pieces of play that both show a lot of indiscipline. It would be nice if they bucked the **** up and learned to deal with this **** instead of just getting angry about it.

Sure it ****ing sucks, but that's the new NHL and they've had 5 years to get used to it. Sure it's gay, but that's just the way the game is played now, so don't give the refs opportunities to call this **** being lazy and undisciplined.

Also, we ****ing blow at ES and it'd be nice if someone on the team realized it. We always complain about the penalties, but it seems like we create half our chances on the PK. Again, most of tonight was a farce. Both Giroux and Briere guilty of a couple of simply horrible pieces of defensive play and I don't even want to talk about Carle right now who has seemingly forgotten how to play since Pronger got back.

But the ES thing is ridiculous, when the **** is anyone going to wake up and realize that these lines ****ing blow?

EDIT: Just to go on (alcohol is involved here), Carter and Richards are our 2 best ES players by a country mile (next best is probably JVR) and they're both being ****ing wasted. I mean, Richards' best moments BY FAR have been on the PK, so what the hell does that say? And I mean, I didn't think Carter was terrible today, but he still looks far from comfortable. It just ****ing baffles me. I love Lavi in virtually every aspect of his coaching except for this, I dunno if it's his fatal flaw or what, but it's gone on for far too ****ing long, it's costing us points, we are hamstrung at ES. I should add that Giroux has 1 ES point in 5 games actually playing with at least one talented player (I dunno if Zherdev counts), so you tell me if that's ****ing working.

Last edited by FlyHigh: 10-16-2010 at 11:04 PM.
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I'm ready to be done with the "Giroux at Center" thing.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:27 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
Bob...english translation "I left the Motherland for this????"
Please say he didnt actually say this?

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:29 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Did Laviolette take Carcillo off the top line yet? I didn't get to see the game.

Old
10-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The Giroux penalty I'm not that pissed about. He was trying to make a play. It was stupid and if it happened with him a lot it would be an issue. But once in a while is whatever. The Richards stick penalty was a little bit bush to call, but also kind of careless on Richards' part. The Carter penalty was dumb too. Hes 6'3'', he should be able to get mean with people with out cross-checking them in the teeth.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:34 PM
freakydallas13

Quote:
agreed, throw carter on that line and be done with it.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:37 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Did Laviolette take Carcillo off the top line yet? I didn't get to see the game.
Yeah Carcillo got scratched although I am thoroughly done with Shelley. Carcillo is at least a useful 4th liner, Shelley baffles me and seems to have a habit of taking dumb penalties.

JVR-Richards-Roo
Zherdev-Carter-Nodl
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Betts-Powe

Just try this for like 5 games. And I realize I'm a huge advocate of splitting Carter and Zherdev, but I don't think we have another choice, you can't play Zherdev with Richards or Briere. And I mean, sure Nodl has no offensive game, but Carter pretty much does his own thing on offense, so as long as Nodl forechecks and plays defense, it won't be too bad.

The big problem here is that the drop-off from our 7th forward (Zherdev) to our 8th (Leino) is significant and the dropoff from Leino to our 9th forward (Carcillo/Nodl) is massive.

I mean, Holmgren has constructed a team that has talent, but one that also doesn't fit together well at all, I think that 9th forward spot in the top-9 is going to be a running problem all season. When we're spitballing putting Nodl or Maroon there, you know it's bad.

EDIT: Just in case my feelings aren't 100% clear, the Zherdev signing was a massive mistake. Not because he's not talented or won't put up points, but simply because he does not fit with this team from an identity standpoint, or a chemistry standpoint, or a "what line does he play on?" standpoint. It's absolutely ridiculous. We took what has been our best 1-2 punch the last two years (Richie-Gagne) and broke it up so that we could bring in Zherdev, overpay Coburn/Carle (take your pick), and keep a 1.7 mill d-man in the press box.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
mucker*

Anybody go?
Seemed like there were a LOT of Pens fans.
Probably the most of any road team aside from NYR.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:47 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
Please say he didnt actually say this?
No he did not. But his interpreter was incompetent, therfore Bob had hard time getting the questions and seemed to answer them awkwardly.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:51 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah Carcillo got scratched although I am thoroughly done with Shelley. Carcillo is at least a useful 4th liner, Shelley baffles me and seems to have a habit of taking dumb penalties.

JVR-Richards-Roo
Zherdev-Carter-Nodl
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Betts-Powe

Just try this for like 5 games. And I realize I'm a huge advocate of splitting Carter and Zherdev, but I don't think we have another choice, you can't play Zherdev with Richards or Briere. And I mean, sure Nodl has no offensive game, but Carter pretty much does his own thing on offense, so as long as Nodl forechecks and plays defense, it won't be too bad.

The big problem here is that the drop-off from our 7th forward (Zherdev) to our 8th (Leino) is significant and the dropoff from Leino to our 9th forward (Carcillo/Nodl) is massive.

I mean, Holmgren has constructed a team that has talent, but one that also doesn't fit together well at all, I think that 9th forward spot in the top-9 is going to be a running problem all season. When we're spitballing putting Nodl or Maroon there, you know it's bad.

EDIT: Just in case my feelings aren't 100% clear, the Zherdev signing was a massive mistake. Not because he's not talented or won't put up points, but simply because he does not fit with this team from an identity standpoint, or a chemistry standpoint, or a "what line does he play on?" standpoint. It's absolutely ridiculous. We took what has been our best 1-2 punch the last two years (Richie-Gagne) and broke it up so that we could bring in Zherdev, overpay Coburn/Carle (take your pick), and keep a 1.7 mill d-man in the press box.
Your edit is right on money IMO

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:03 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

I agree with Flyhigh on this. I too have asked myself, what the hell Z is doing on this team. Did they really think for a little that he could model Gagne's game? Get ****ing real.

The Shelley signing...ugh that bothers me.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Also, we ****ing blow at ES and it'd be nice if someone on the team realized it. We always complain about the penalties, but it seems like we create half our chances on the PK.
I expect it to improve at some point. It's only a few games into the season and not even through the first month of it. I doubt that we're going to continue the year getting our best chances on the PK.

What's more concerning is our PP. Teams live and die off the PP and we need to get it together on that front if we're to be a top team.

We are definitely sub-par at ES though. The leading cause for both the ES and PP struggles has to involve our jumbled mess of forwards, but I'm still willing to give it all time because it pretty much has to improve at this point.

These lines are ****ing horrible though.

Quote:
Again, most of tonight was a farce. Both Giroux and Briere guilty of a couple of simply horrible pieces of defensive play and I don't even want to talk about Carle right now who has seemingly forgotten how to play since Pronger got back.
I'm not even sure what to think of Carle any more. One game he can seem like a stud in the making and the next he can be like one huge mind ****. He was terrific to start the season and he's clueless now. I need more consistency then that for what he's being payed.

It's not even like he's a terribly good offensive d-man either.

Quote:
But the ES thing is ridiculous, when the **** is anyone going to wake up and realize that these lines ****ing blow?
That's what is most concerning to me. I'm still willing to give it games because, for all I know, Lavi could just be testing the lines to be positive that they won't work before changing them, but they do ****ing suck badly. I've been saying that I don't like the lines since the season started and since I realized that Shelley is getting regular ice-time while Carcillo gets bunched I'm just speechless.

Shelley barely deserves to be an extra man and we're giving him a constant roster spot while benching one of the guys that gave us the best fourth line in hockey last year. Just ****ing unbelievable. I don't if it's because Lavi actually believes Shelley deserves that spot or if the organization is giving it to him to justify that horrid contract, but I won't be able to take it much longer.

Quote:
EDIT: Just to go on (alcohol is involved here), Carter and Richards are our 2 best ES players by a country mile (next best is probably JVR) and they're both being ****ing wasted. I mean, Richards' best moments BY FAR have been on the PK, so what the hell does that say? And I mean, I didn't think Carter was terrible today, but he still looks far from comfortable. It just ****ing baffles me. I love Lavi in virtually every aspect of his coaching except for this, I dunno if it's his fatal flaw or what, but it's gone on for far too ****ing long, it's costing us points, we are hamstrung at ES. I should add that Giroux has 1 ES point in 5 games actually playing with at least one talented player (I dunno if Zherdev counts), so you tell me if that's ****ing working.
Yeah, prior to this season I've had no qualms with Lavi and have loved him. This season he's off to a bad start with me though. These lines are horrible and lack any sense. I'm starting to fear that that might be a big weakness of his to be honest.

Quote:
Yeah, I was willing to give it a go last year, but it can't go on. Not only is it not his natural position (meaning forcing him to play there should make no sense in the first place), but he has no long-term future on this team at center unless we either plan on rolling three scoring lines forever (which I'll go ****ing insane if so) or unless Carter continues to play out of position at wing (which I'll also go insane about). That's assuming that neither are traded.

He has no long-term place at center no this team and even in the short-term it makes little sense.

Quote:

JVR-Richards-Roo
Zherdev-Carter-Nodl
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Betts-Powe

I've been saying all summer long that trading Gagne for Meszaros/Walker was a massive mistake since our dumbass GM is so insistent on three scoring lines, but I am starting to think that Zherdev was a mistake too. Albeit one that I find it hard to blame Homer for.

Seriously though, who trades off their best winger and then plans to run three scoring lines with eight forwards, two of which are unproven? Paul ****ing Holmgren, that's who. ****ing dumbass.

These lines do make no sense at all and I've been thinking and saying that since I realized that they were sticking with Carter at wing and Shelley constantly on the roster. Carter shouldn't be a winger. It's been tried before and it didn't work, it's not his natural position, and why the **** would you change something that's been working fine for the past two years anyhow for? There's no ****ing reason for it. To force Giroux to play out of position at center and get worse results? **** that.

I've already covered why it's insane to play Shelley constantly and ****ing bench Carbomb.

On top of all of that they're counting on a line that had one good playoff run to replicate that success over an entire regular season despite the fact that Leino has never proven anything in the regular season.

There's something else that doesn't make sense that I touched upon briefly before. Why the **** are we going with three scoring lines with only eight potential top six capable forwards, two of which being unproven wildcards (Leino and Zherdev). Not only that, but if you're so insistent on going with such an unsustainable roster, then why get rid of your best winger and not have enough to fill out those three scoring lines? Never mind the fact that Gagne was critical to our success last year and that he was a lifetime, 10+ year Flyer.

I've been saying all ****ing summer long that this was about as disastrous a summer as I could have never predicted. It's mind-blowing how horrible it was. I have never been more disappointed about an off-season in my whole entire ****ing life. It was almost as disappointing as everyone predicting us to be contenders last year and then having to go through a regular season hell and barely get the 8th seed.

Anyways, whatever, **** it. It is what it is and nothing I say here matters because it's not gonna affect how our retarded ****ing GM runs the organization or how Laviolette makes the lines.

Still, here's what I would like to see if I had any say:

JVR-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Nodl
Zherdev-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Betts-Powe
****ing Shelley..although I would prefer to waive him and bring up someone.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I agree with Flyhigh on this. I too have asked myself, what the hell Z is doing on this team. Did they really think for a little that he could model Gagne's game? Get ****ing real.

In all fairness, I distinctly remember a large portion of this board rationalizing that Zherdev somehow wasn't a downgrade from Gagne, at least offensively.

I wasn't one of those people, but I remember arguing with a lot of those people over the summer.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

They were two separate personnel moves. I'm sure they influenced one another, and I'm also sure that the decision was never as simple as "Zherdev can do everything Gagne does for 3 million less".

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:27 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
In all fairness, I distinctly remember a large portion of this board rationalizing that Zherdev somehow wasn't a downgrade from Gagne, at least offensively.

I wasn't one of those people, but I remember arguing with a lot of those people over the summer.
No offense, but Gagne hasn't exactly been "lights out" on Tampa Bay, either.

If people want to claim that Zherdev has been useless so far and hasn't replaced Gagne a mere 5 games into the season, then I would hope Gagne has been the superior player so far.

He hasn't. He's actually been worse. So let's not let the "love" for Gagne get out of hand because he's a fan favorite and Zherdev is a "lazy Russian."

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
No offense, but Gagne hasn't exactly been "lights out" on Tampa Bay, either.

If people want to claim that Zherdev has been useless so far and hasn't replaced Gagne a mere 5 games into the season, then I would hope Gagne has been the superior player so far.

He hasn't. He's actually been worse. So let's not let the "love" for Gagne get out of hand because he's a fan favorite and Zherdev is a "lazy Russian."
Yeah, because I called Zherdev a lazy Russian.

Gagne was an integral part of our team and it's sheer fact that we possibly don't make the playoffs last year without him and we definitely don't advance past Boston.

There's no way you can use what Gagne's doing in Tampa as proof of anything either. He's in a new city, with new linemates, new coaching staff, new everything, and he just got kicked out of what was essentially his home.

I'm not basing that Gagne is a better player based off of this year, that would be insane, I'm basing it on proven performances and track records over their careers. There's a reason why Zherdev had to go to the KHL. Gagne is much better defensively and Zherdev has to prove that he's better offensively himself. Gagne has better career highs in pretty much everything and Gagne has never been forced to play in the KHL due to no one wanting him.

This is all besides the point though. It's just ****ing retarded to insist on the unsustainable idea of three scoring lines and then ditch your best winger thus leaving you without enough scoring forwards for three full lines and too many for two lines.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
Anybody go?
Seemed like there were a LOT of Pens fans.
Probably the most of any road team aside from NYR.
I was there and yeah the Pitt fans were a lot and they were obnoxious..a group of them were at the bottom of the escalators cheering on all the Pitt fans that came down and they were all hooting and hollering at each other and of course showing up the Flyers fans in their "house" but it is to be expected and deserved considering how undisciplined the Flyers played. It was a fine game up until the Carter penalty and then everything broke down and it got downright embarrassing.

The penalties are just uncalled for and to lead the league in penalties like they have the last couple of years is maddening. Carter was frustrating to watch on the wing..he was flubbing shots and he had about 8 wide shots. I know he likes to shoot from anywhere and everywhere but dammit you need patience and puck control and higher percentage plays. I don't care what people say but the guy is one dimensional that's why he looks so bad on the wing. Fine put him back at Center but I don't think it will change much. The dude is like a minus 3 or 4 for the season thus far....

Zherdev is troublesome. The guy doesn't want to finish a play and bear down. If he's like this all year it's going to be freaking maddening! He def has yet to change his ways and to be unchanged so early is disconcerting since he was supposed to prove himself. He best come around or we'll be hurting on the wing for production given Carter isn't going to supply anything either...nor Shelley or Carcillo! I had a feeling the offense was going to be a concern b/c there were just too many question marks going in. Only JVR and Briere IMO are holding their own and Giroux is ok..at least he creates even if he's off and on with finishing. Leino is not what he was last year...he's getting knocked off the puck and is not his shifty self. Bob was good until the penalties as well. He had a rookie night.....he'll adjust IMO.

As far as Lavy..yeah he needs to adjust tactics as well. Right now the team def isn't working his system...but his lines seem to be contributing to that problem.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:50 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

I for one miss Gagne's 2 way play.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:20 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Glad I missed the last period.. holy crap, what the hell caused the breakdown?

I swear, anytime a team or player is struggling... just have them play the Flyers, why do they seem to always break out of their bad streak against us?

Also, the Crosby sucks **** needs to stop, all it does is fire him up and make him play harder.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitt3n View Post
"Its tough when you play Pittsburgh, you know that they're going to be falling down pretty easy, so you have to watch your stick."

LMAO i thought this **** was hilarious
waits for the
"ive lost all respect for Mike Richards after a comment like that" from the Penguins fans.

EDIT: I dont know why anyone should be suprised with the stick fouls. This has been going on for how long now? not just the lazy ones, but the stupid ones. this team has not been able to grasp the concept of playing smart hockey this season yet. They have got what they deserved the last 2 games. They are fortunate they arent 0-3 on this homestand.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 10-17-2010 at 01:49 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote