HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to separate G&G?

Old
10-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Max Levine

vCash: 500
Time to separate G&G?

Both Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta are being unproductive so far and JM thought it best to take Pouliot off and try Moen. Although Moen had a decent game, it didn't actually improve that line. G&G were very efficient last season when they hadn't played together for years but, for some reason, it's not working now.

I was quite impressed with the sustained pressure from Gomez, Lapierre and Pouliot in the short period of time they spent together last night. This could allow Martin to use Eller at center with Gionta on the right wing. I like Eller and it's obvious that his contribution will remain limited as long as he's not given more talented linemates. A 2nd/3rd line formed of Boyd-Eller-Gionta should be experimented while Moen-Halpern-Pyatt would represent a solid checking line.

Last edited by Max Levine: 10-16-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:41 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Both Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta are being unproductive so far and JM thought it best to take Pouliot off and try Moen. Although Moen had a decent game, it didn't actually improve that line. G&G were very efficient last season when they hadn't played together for years but, for some reason, it's not working now.

I was quite impressed with the sustained pressure from Gomez, Lapierre and Pouliot in the short period of time they spent together last night. This could allow Martin to use Eller at center with Gionta on the right wing. I like Eller and it's obvious that his contribution will remain limited as long as he's not given more talented linemates. A 2nd/3rd line formed of Boyd-Eller-Gionta should be experimented while Moen-Halpern-Pyatt would represented a solid checking line.
I'm perfectly comfortable with this actually

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

One to Calgary or Dallas and the other to Minnesota sounds about right to me.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:06 AM
JayBee*

Give it a few more games. Fans are way too reactionary here. We know that Gomez and Gio play well together...it's been 4 games, relax.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:19 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Just thought id mention, Gionta started off hot last year, but gomez took ten games to get going just saying

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:40 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

I don't see a problem with a little experimental line juggling here.

But keep in mind that despite all the comments about the Gomez/Gionta/Pouliot line not performing, Gionta, while low on pts, actually has the most shots on net of our forwards.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Flambergius

I noticed Gomez-Laps-Pouliot clicking last night at least for a shift, but I wonder how many shifts did they play together? (Really asking, I was tired last night and ESPN's stream was pretty bad, so I had some trouble keeping track who was on the ice at times.)

Anyways, Gomez with Laps and Pouliot makes sense as a line in theory and Gionta hasn't gotten going yet this year. Let's try if the theory pans out and if a little nudge lights Gionta up. It's early, true, but it's just a line change, not a big deal. If it works great, if it doesn't - well, now you know.

Flambergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:55 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:

I was quite impressed with the sustained pressure from Gomez, Lapierre and Pouliot in the short period of time they spent together last night. This could allow Martin to use Eller at center with Gionta on the right wing. I like Eller and it's obvious that his contribution will remain limited as long as he's not given more talented linemates. A 2nd/3rd line formed of Boyd-Eller-Gionta should be experimented while Moen-Halpern-Pyatt would represented a solid checking line.
Actually that is a good setup, Gomez gets big wingers while Gionta gets a big center and Boyd is a speed demon that can skate with Gionta. Eller last night was pretty good at puck possession and passing which should help Gionta.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I know it hasn't been an easy 4 games for that duo,but let's be honest is anyone really worried about those 2 not getting chemistry together?It's just a matter of time before they click again and start producing big time,if we keep winning and they don't produce,even better

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:13 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
I don't see a problem with a little experimental line juggling here.

But keep in mind that despite all the comments about the Gomez/Gionta/Pouliot line not performing, Gionta, while low on pts, actually has the most shots on net of our forwards.
70 ft shots mostly. But I would give it time also to gel.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Gainey and Gauthier need to be separated... from their jobs.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:50 AM
skipp18

When I saw the title of the thread I was thinking, why would someone even suggest separating Gill and Gorges.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Kirk Muller

Simply put, they just need to play better. Its not a chemistry thing and frankly, its just 4 games.

The reality is, outside of Price, Gorges and a few other individuals, there is no real cohesive lines or defense pairings yet. This is why we are seeing so many shots against and abnormal amount of defensive lapses and breakdowns.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:29 AM
HCH

Gomez and Gionta will probably score a combined 40 to 45 goals for us this year whether they play together or not. If they are below that pace 20 games into the season, I would begin to worry.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:43 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I know it hasn't been an easy 4 games for that duo,but let's be honest is anyone really worried about those 2 not getting chemistry together?It's just a matter of time before they click again and start producing big time,if we keep winning and they don't produce,even better
+1

and pouilot has been getting chances... when he starts to hit the bullseye as well they are going to be a good line... I mean 4 games... big deal.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:46 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:

I was quite impressed with the sustained pressure from Gomez, Lapierre and Pouliot in the short period of time they spent together last night. This could allow Martin to use Eller at center with Gionta on the right wing. I like Eller and it's obvious that his contribution will remain limited as long as he's not given more talented linemates. A 2nd/3rd line formed of Boyd-Eller-Gionta should be experimented while Moen-Halpern-Pyatt would represent a solid checking line.
I remember some quotes, joking or not, by Gomez sharing his frustration that Gionta is not able to make a pass. I think maybe GOmez and Eller would be nice on a line together, tho it would be ideal if we could get Eller working at center, of course. But as a give-and-go winger with Gomez it could work, and Halpern could play third line center, no?

To me Pouliot is besides the point. He's going to need another year or two, clearly. I see him as a strong third liner right now.

I think we have the potential to get a lot of goals out of our top 9 whichever way we go, it's just a matter of finding the right combos.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta (might be a one trick pony transition line tho?)
AK-Gomez-Eller (the other 2 on any AK line will do all the work anyway)
Pouliot-Halpern-Boyd/Lapierre (whoever can hold the job)
Moen-Pyatt-(the loser)

Last edited by tinyzombies: 10-16-2010 at 11:54 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Cannot seperate gionta and gomez, just put eller on the damn line already jacques, christ.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:50 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Ahhhh the sky is falling!!!
Trade Gomez for a 4th round pick and Gionta for a 2nd round pick
Just to get rid of them

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Gainey and Gauthier need to be separated... from their jobs.
Damnit I came here to make that joke...

(Actually mine was that G&G were already separated)

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Jakomyte

They might not have found their offensive touch just yet, but there is more to a line than offense. Seeing as the Habs have only 1 regulation loss in their first 4 games, I don't think there's a desperate need to re-tool the lines.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Gionta has a tendency to score 2-goal games.

He is getting his shots on goal.

He will be fine.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:26 PM
TomPlex

No, because it's only been 4 games. It's the same reason why I won't say "Price is winning the Vezina" after 4 games (and don't get me wrong, I'm probably his #1 supporter).

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Oh boy... 4 games in and already...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:05 PM
clarke19

I wouldn't mind seeing an experiment with 3 scoring lines. Maybe see if some different guys can click and generate some sustained offensive pressure.

Camm-Plek-AK
Pouliot-Gomez-Lapierre
Boyd-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Halpern-Pyatt

I think 3 of those lines can score goals, 3 extremely fast lines with a guy like Eller with great poise to set up Gionta. I would interchange Boyd with Moen maybe considering that 3rd line may not win many battles along the boards. I mean, I'd try this and if it didn't work out I'd put Gio back with Gomer and try Eller or Boyd on the wing instead of Pouliot.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:26 PM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

13-14-46
81-91-21
57-17-40
32-15-94

SakuSauce is offline   Reply With Quote