Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hiller's Performance Discussion

Old
12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
JtotheLew

vCash: 500
Hiller has played great this year. Anyone who doesn't think so is on crack.

It is somewhat frustrating when he lets in a soft goal after making a highlight steal of a save, but he faces a **** load of shots and has stolen games for us, especially in the shootout! ( the 2 most obvious ones I can think of are against Calgary and Boston ).

If he is playing sub par some nights it's because he plays too much.

Mcbackup has cost us games ( like the one against the Islanders where he let in 4 goals in the first 9 shots against the worst team in the league, the night after Hiller played phenomenal for his 7th w in his last 10 ).

Hiller is ideal for a 50 ish game season.. right now he'll probably play over 60 and when you play a goalie for more games then he ideally should, you're going to get nights where he isn't on his top form, especially since he avg's more shots on net a game then any goalie in the NHL.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 06:30 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Yeah, we realize your Location is LA, and now go away, troll!
You better watched your Kings a week ago when they got robbed by an insane Hiller performance.
Calm down, just because he lives in LA doesn't mean that he's a sure-fire Kings' fan.

I live in the Bay Area but does that mean that I'm a Sharks fan? Absolutely not! I hate the Sharks, I hate most of their fans, and I wish nothing but bad luck on their team.

Last edited by S.S. Giggy: 12-29-2010 at 06:55 PM.
S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:59 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Calm down, just because he lives in LA doesn't mean that he's a sure-fire Kings' fan.

I live in the Bay Area but does that mean that I'm a Sharks fan? Absolutely not! I hate the Sharks, I hate most of their fans, and I wish nothing but bad luck on their team.
Well actually...you live in the Gay Area...

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Hiller for all-star game?

Reckon he can do it? He's putting up some pretty impressive numbers this year, and he's 2nd in the west for starting goaltenders IMO.

Will he make it for the West? Or did they change the format and I missed it

Old
01-01-2011, 01:52 PM
rocsfeather
jump

I hope not he needs the rest!

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Sirquacksalot
ˇViva Los Patos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post

Precisely. I'm from Palmdale (L.A. County) and now reside in San Jose, half a mile from the H.P. Pavillion, yet I absolutely detest the Kings and the Sharks. Who cares where he is as long as he tears up every time he sees the video of Selanne finally hoisting the cup?

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 01:17 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
I hope not he needs the rest!
Haha I wouldn't mind seeing him in the All-Star game, he'd only play like 20 mins anyway I'd imagine. As long as he didn't come back injured

Old
01-02-2011, 01:35 AM
bumperkisser

hiller wont get to be in the all star game.. sometimes i think its a bit sad how little attention our stars out here get.. i mean its great cause thye have less pressure but they also miss out on things like the all star game lol

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2011, 02:01 AM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
hiller wont get to be in the all star game.. sometimes i think its a bit sad how little attention our stars out here get.. i mean its great cause thye have less pressure but they also miss out on things like the all star game lol
We had quite a few in the last one

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
We had quite a few in the last one
They were all voted in though, the fans picked them. Visnovsky and Perry are the most likely to make it since they generally pick the players on a combination of their reputation and current seasons stats.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:26 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Hiller is 4th overall in the NHL for SV% now...best in the West as well

Pretty sure I read a lot of posts pre-season saying Hiller would regress this year.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Force951

vCash: 50
ESPN did a bloggers pick teams, Perry got picked pretty early. Vis and Hiller also got picked.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ll-star-squads

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Hiller is 4th overall in the NHL for SV% now...best in the West as well

Pretty sure I read a lot of posts pre-season saying Hiller would regress this year.

He's been pretty inconsistent though. And the large shot totals he's facing are skewing the save percentage somewhat.

Hiller is what he is, a top 10-15 goalie with rebound control and consistency issues. He'll be lights out for the majority of a game then will let in a back breaking goal. He's been great the last three games though, the individual meetings Carlyle had with everyone after the Kings game must have lit a fire underneath him.

Old
01-04-2011, 05:11 PM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
He's been pretty inconsistent though. And the large shot totals he's facing are skewing the save percentage somewhat.

Hiller is what he is, a top 10-15 goalie with rebound control and consistency issues. He'll be lights out for the majority of a game then will let in a back breaking goal. He's been great the last three games though, the individual meetings Carlyle had with everyone after the Kings game must have lit a fire underneath him.
I hope by three you mean 15 games, because he's stellar since end-november, putting up a .945 SV% in that span.
Agree on the bad rebound control, but not on the inconsistence... He never had a blow-out like 5 or 6 goals against all season. Almost every Goalie not named Thomas or Price had some very bad games...

And yes, why not consider him as an All-Star, 1st in SV% and 2nd in Wins in the West....
How does this work again, do the two captains pick out of all NHL players or just from the balloting+jury-picked players? If it's the latter, I'm pretty sure the jury won't pick Hiller to the pool. If the captains have free choice, I see a chance.

Quick and Luongo should be there, the rest is behind Hiller so far IMO.

Last edited by swissexpert: 01-04-2011 at 05:36 PM.
swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
I dont see what youre getting at here. The number of shots he saves is skewing SV %? Isnt save percentage based on the number of shots he saves?

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
I hope by three you mean 15 games, because he's stellar since end-november, putting up a .945 SV% in that span.
No, I mean since the Kings game where he was absolutely brutal. He's definitely been better since late November but has still had issues letting in soft goals at bad times. While SV% is probably the best stat to evaluate a goalie on, the only real way to determine how well a goalie has been playing is by actually watching him play. Hiller has always had a great SV% but has never really been regarded as an elite goalie.

Old
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
I dont see what youre getting at here. The number of shots he saves is skewing SV %? Isnt save percentage based on the number of shots he saves?
I mean the Ducks typically allow a lot of harmless shots from poor positions, which inflates Hiller's SV%. Specifically teams like Detroit and San Jose who will rack up huge shot totals against us by shooting from all sorts of angles and positions on the ice. Often I will look at the shot totals at the end of a game and wonder how the opposition accumulated so many shots when we will have dominated the game, generally it's because the system we use encourages teams to shoot from low percentage areas.

Old
01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
No, I mean since the Kings game where he was absolutely brutal. He's definitely been better since late November but has still had issues letting in soft goals at bad times. While SV% is probably the best stat to evaluate a goalie on, the only real way to determine how well a goalie has been playing is by actually watching him play. Hiller has always had a great SV% but has never really been regarded as an elite goalie.
i blame that to loss of exposure.. he is imo a great goaltender.. he does let the odd 1 in which stops him from being a top 5 goalie in this league.. he is a GREAT first save goalie, and if the d can clear rebounds i wouldnt be surprised to see us win a ton of games

Old
01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
i blame that to loss of exposure.. he is imo a great goaltender.. he does let the odd 1 in which stops him from being a top 5 goalie in this league.. he is a GREAT first save goalie, and if the d can clear rebounds i wouldnt be surprised to see us win a ton of games
He's in the top half of starting goalies, I don't know if that makes him great but he's adequate provided he has a D that can clear the crease and rebounds in front of him. I'd have him ranked in the top 10-15 or so. I would definitely take Thomas, Lundqvist, Vokoun, Ward, Luongo, Brygalov, Price, Miller & Fleury ahead of him. He's in the same category as the likes of Backstrom, Halak, Rinne etc.

Old
01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
He's in the top half of starting goalies, I don't know if that makes him great but he's adequate provided he has a D that can clear the crease and rebounds in front of him. I'd have him ranked in the top 10-15 or so. I would definitely take Thomas, Lundqvist, Vokoun, Ward, Luongo, Brygalov, Price, Miller & Fleury ahead of him. He's in the same category as the likes of Backstrom, Halak, Rinne etc.
really don tunderstand the hype of this guy..

Old
01-04-2011, 11:37 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Sorry Paul your in the wrong here. He also has the most saves in the league.

Given how bad the defense infront of him has been, he's been our best player pretty much.

The volume of shots he faces he's bound to let some soft ones in. But guess what? I watched the LA game the other night, and Quick let TWO soft goals in that game alone. Doesn't mean he's not a top 10 goaltender in the league.

Quote:
I mean the Ducks typically allow a lot of harmless shots from poor positions, which inflates Hiller's SV%. Specifically teams like Detroit and San Jose who will rack up huge shot totals against us by shooting from all sorts of angles and positions on the ice. Often I will look at the shot totals at the end of a game and wonder how the opposition accumulated so many shots when we will have dominated the game, generally it's because the system we use encourages teams to shoot from low percentage areas.
Haha your kidding right? This happens to a lot of teams in the league. Teams like Detroit and San Jose do this to every team they play pretty much. Saying those inflate his SV% that much is ridiculous

Old
01-04-2011, 11:59 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...touts-and-more

LeBrun giving some Hiller love at the bottom of the page.

Also note how he says Fleury shouldn't be a nominee for the Vezina this year.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Paul4587

How am I in the wrong? The Ducks system encourages shots from low percentage areas meaning SV% is a bad stat to look at by itself. There is no goaltending stat that tells the real story for any goalie, the best way to get a feel for who the elite are is by watching. I was basing who I'd pick over him based not just on this year but the past few years also.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Sorry Paul your in the wrong here. He also has the most saves in the league.

Given how bad the defense infront of him has been, he's been our best player pretty much.

The volume of shots he faces he's bound to let some soft ones in. But guess what? I watched the LA game the other night, and Quick let TWO soft goals in that game alone. Doesn't mean he's not a top 10 goaltender in the league.

Haha your kidding right? This happens to a lot of teams in the league. Teams like Detroit and San Jose do this to every team they play pretty much. Saying those inflate his SV% that much is ridiculous
I hate this excuse for a bad game - He let in shots on the 10th, 15th, 17th and 23rd shots he faced. Those goals weren't due to volume of shots faced, they were because he was off his game that night.

And soft goals like that (and falling apart in the spring) are why Quick is on the very low end of the top 10 as opposed to elite.

The Ducks give up on average more shots per game than the top teams in the league average taking per game. Detroit has averaged 42 shots per game vs Ducks while averaging 33.4, San Jose averages 44.5 shots per game vs the Ducks while averaging 33.2.......yeah, they are one of the teams that pad teams' shot totals.

granted the .889% against Detroit isn't really padding his save % in the right direction....

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Paul4587

I don't see how Quick is involved in this topic, he's not a great goaltender at all, he's miles below Hiller and most other number 1 goalies IMO. At least until he does something decent in the playoffs or be consistent throughout the regular season.