HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nobody will Fight THE BOOG = ineffective enforcer

Old
10-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Nobody will Fight THE BOOG = ineffective enforcer

Was stunned when Colton declined to fight. Not that Colton was the one who needed the beatdown. Rangers took several chippy runs at Armstrong but aside from Averys challenge the guy skates all night and contributes to the Leafs victory.

Why is Armstrong not forced to face our enforcer?

How can an enforcer be effective if nobody will fight him willingly?

Enough of the tap tap lets dance between role players, when our star players are getting run over, their teammates have to deliver a swift message. Thank God for Sean Avery. He should be wearing the "A"

The Boog should know his role by now. I mean his #1 priority in the World should be protecting Marian Gaborik.... right?

Whats the answer?

10-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Vernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Was stunned when Colton declined to fight. Not that Colton was the one who needed the beatdown. Rangers took several chippy runs at Armstrong but aside from Averys challenge the guy skates all night and contributes to the Leafs victory.

Why is Armstrong not forced to face our enforcer?

How can an enforcer be effective if nobody will fight him willingly?

Enough of the tap tap lets dance between role players, when our star players are getting run over, their teammates have to deliver a swift message. Thank God for Sean Avery. He should be wearing the "A"

The Boog should know his role by now. I mean his #1 priority in the World should be protecting Marian Gaborik.... right?

Whats the answer?
The notion that an enforcer can protect just doesn't fit the modern game. The only guys that goons fight these days are other goons. It makes for great entertainment to watch a good heavyweight fight, but the Armstrong's (or Avery's in our case) of the world don't have to answer them. Due to the instigator, lack of respect between players, league interference, or any other number of factors that might be chosen. Sad but true.

It sucks, but Boogaard is being paid to entertain with his fists, nothing more, because he can't skate well enough to hit, and doesn't have the skills to be an effective player.

Vernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:23 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Colton Orr didn't fight because he had just gotten his head rattled by Engelland. to get one-punched and then have to fight the biggest bruiser in the NHL would virtually be asking for a concussion. i'm sure Orr will drop them next game, so long as he hasn't been rattled by anyone else (which is unlikely because Orr is Orr.)

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernie View Post
The notion that an enforcer can protect just doesn't fit the modern game.
That's the heart of the matter IMO.

Unfortunately, this team has already dedicated a disproportionate amount of it's cap space to an antiquated role and, at very least, it would be nice if they got something, anything, for their money. I don't believe in "enforcers", but Armstrong didn't get as much as a dirty look last night from what I saw and that's absolutely unacceptable.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Vitto79

Orr got knocked out the game before so its likely not a good idea to fight Boogie...........bottom line is we all know they paid too much.............can't do anything about it now. The guy is a 4th line goon making way to much but even if he doesnt fight a ton/9 last year he still is intimidating. I just wish it was at half the cost

Atleast they are putting these stupid contracts in the minors now

White is going to have to earn some cash now too with all these injuries

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:42 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Boogaard got a point last night right? Did Frolov even suit up? I saw a jersey with his name on it. I think...

Let the anti-enforcer click chime on..... and..on and..on..

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 10-16-2010 at 08:49 AM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:44 AM
rickyrod

Also the score was 3-2 for Toronto when Orr and Boogaard were talking about going. Orr isn't stupid. He's not going to fight when it won't help his team. He didn't when he was a Ranger.

Kessel got far too easy a ride after Gaborik went down. That's my big problem.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:46 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
Also the score was 3-2 for Toronto when Orr and Boogaard were talking about going. Orr isn't stupid. He's not going to fight when it won't help his team. He didn't when he was a Ranger.

Kessel got far too easy a ride after Gaborik went down. That's my big problem.
Exactly.. But doesn't that always seem to be the Rangers motto? Never initiate, just react. And most of the time the reaction is weak.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:49 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Torts is a freaking clown, why would Orr fight when Toronto was winning? Why would he risk sparking the Rangers and the Crowd.
Thats like saying why didnt we have boogy out there looking for Orr when we were winning 1-0.

Fact is Torts continues to do a poor job managing his bench. He's got a good feel for which guys are going offensively, but he appears clueless as to who can get the job done defensively, and even more clueless when it comes to managing his enforcers.

The first time Lundqvist got run by Phanuef, he should have put out boogaard, but ok, we were up 1-0, so i cut him some slack.
The second the Leafs tied the game, again with a play in the crease, boogaard should have been sent out, the leafs were building momentum and buzzing the net. But no, Torts proves he's the Pansy I thought he was. Then Gaborik gets run...and mind you we go to the PP, so of course boogard rightfully sits, but the second that powerplay is up, the instructions to boogaard should have been go out there, grab the best player on their team and start punching. COLBY ARMSTRONG JUST BOARDED OUR BEST PLAYER 2 MINUTES AGO!!!!!!!
It's unforgivable for the coach to be such a coward, and I applaud Sean Avery for slashing Komisarek. What Avery did was even less offensive than what Armstrong did because he did it while looking the guy in the face.
As long as this team has to RELY on Sean Avery to be its life and its pulse, while its cowardly coach and 7 million dollar broken finger of a captain provide nothing but a weak forcheck and token quotes to the media, we will go nowhere.

Yesterday I was ready to give this guy another 2 yrs to develop his system.
Today I'm thinking we should reunite him with wade redden.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Exactly.. But doesn't that always seem to be the Rangers motto? Never initiate, just react. And most of the time the reaction is weak.
Yah, well, go back to the Boogaard signing thread and you'll find a pro-enforcer faction claiming that having a nuclear deterrent on the roster was going to solve the problem. So far, it's Brashear 2.0.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
why would Orr fight when Toronto was winning?
Why do people keep asking this question? Obviously, he's not. For $1.6M per year, you should be making life hell for anyone you can get your hands on, not just hoping you can engage in a pre-staged dance with your opponents' complimentary part.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Vernie

Quote:
Boogaard got a point last night right? Did Frolov even suit up? I saw a name with his jersey on it.

Let the anti-enforcer click chime on..... and..on and..on..
I have no problem with enforcers, provided they can do something other than punch. If you can hit and punch, great. You've got a spot. Shelley showed as much last year, when he, along with Prust, brought the best out of Anisimov.

Vernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:54 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Yah, well, go back to the Boogaard signing thread and you'll find a pro-enforcer faction claiming that having a nuclear deterrent on the roster was going to solve the problem. So far, it's Brashear 2.0.
And yet the anti-enforcer crowd never sees to stop trying to "educate" us old Dinosaurs about our "antiquated" beliefs involving the role of an enforcer. I still haven't seen any of our "mods' or other super posters change a single opinion of us neanderthals.

Sitting down now to watch the Formula 1 race I missed this weekend. Don't ruin it for me Melrose..

Old
10-16-2010, 08:54 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Why do people keep asking this question? Obviously, he's not. For $1.6M per year, you should be making life hell for anyone you can get your hands on, not just hoping you can engage in a pre-staged dance with your opponents' complimentary part.
I completely agree, but people keep mentioning Orr.

Lower in my post you will see that I mentioned at one point in the game he should have been instructed to go out and punch the crap out of the best player on the ice....

this is still hockey right? i mean i'm only 35, am i a dinosaur now too?

Old
10-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Boogaard seems to "hold back" for some reason. Can Torts have something do with it?

It sucks.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:04 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Boogaard seems to "hold back" for some reason. Can Torts have something do with it?

It sucks.
Torts has everything to do with it. Boogaard knows his roll. torts is the one struggling, thinking he can turn him into a hockey player. Either bench him and free up the spot for someone that can play, or turn him loose knowing full well he will get penalties, but dole out the necessary physicality

Old
10-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
And yet the anti-enforcer crowd never sees to stop trying to "educate" us old Dinosaurs about our "antiquated" beliefs involving the role of an enforcer. I still haven't seen any of our "mods' or other super posters change a single opinion of us neanderthals.

Sitting down now to watch the Formula 1 race I missed this weekend. Don't ruin it for me Melrose..
If you like heavyweight vs. heavyweight, I'm not trying to take that away from you. I just don't want to hear how enforcement is somehow this cloud of security over the team.

Suzuka turned out to be a more interesting race than I thought. Enjoy!

Old
10-16-2010, 09:26 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
If you like heavyweight vs. heavyweight, I'm not trying to take that away from you. I just don't want to hear how enforcement is somehow this cloud of security over the team.

Fair enough. But I don't want to hear the same crap at nauseam ( I should say read), cause the Rangers fans that I've known for the last thirty five years love tough, nasty, beat em in the ally, then on the scoreboard hockey. But it seems for most (or all) of that time thats exactly what happens to us. This franchise has been Stay-Puff for at last 15 years or so and when the GM goes out and gets a monster, this board whines to no end. Anybody see Boyles interview? "This team def has each others back this year". I believe that Derek will be a part of that new found courage going forward.

But hey, what do we know? ..... We suck at NHL 11 and no touch ball hockey.

As long as Lewis doesn't win, its all good my friend..

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 10-16-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old
10-16-2010, 09:32 AM
GrizzLeaf

I come in peace, not trying to start anything.

Orr didn't want to fight for a few reasons. Leafs winning, got a good one in the beak a few nights before, blah, blah. It doesn't really matter. What matters, is motivating him to fight.

On some nights, both tough guys can line up on a face-off and drop 'em. Or they both get on the ice during the action, during a line change, and meet up and drop 'em. But on a night when one enforcer can't get the other one to dance, he needs to be a little more creative.

He'll have accept that he'll probably get an extra two, but if he does it right, the other enforcer will come in fists flailing, and probably get the instigator. All he has to do, is go after another player in the corner. Get overly physical, even after the whistle. That normally works.

Running the goalie is probably a bad idea, since that would get everyone on him, and he wouldn't be able to duke it out with the other tough guy, with so many opponents on him.

I'm not sure why Boogaard didn't try it. Many enforcers do it. Perhaps he didn't want to risk the penalty he would get, especially if Orr didn't get sucked in to fighting him, after he roughs someone up. Just food for thought.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:34 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
I come in peace, not trying to start anything.

Orr didn't want to fight for a few reasons. Leafs winning, got a good one in the beak a few nights before, blah, blah. It doesn't really matter. What matters, is motivating him to fight.

On some nights, both tough guys can line up on a face-off and drop 'em. Or they both get on the ice during the action, during a line change, and meet up and drop 'em. But on a night when one enforcer can't get the other one to dance, he needs to be a little more creative.

He'll have accept that he'll probably get an extra two, but if he does it right, the other enforcer will come in fists flailing, and probably get the instigator. All he has to do, is go after another player in the corner. Get overly physical, even after the whistle. That normally works.

Running the goalie is probably a bad idea, since that would get everyone on him, and he wouldn't be able to duke it out with the other tough guy, with so many opponents on him.

I'm not sure why Boogaard didn't try it. Many enforcers do it. Perhaps he didn't want to risk the penalty he would get, especially if Orr didn't get sucked in to fighting him, after he roughs someone up. Just food for thought.
We had Colton Orr for 4 seasons remember?? We know what he was thinking.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:43 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:

Vettel back to back at Suzuka. Both from the pole. Impressive young talent.

Once he gets past the first lap.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Was very surprised that Orr was even in the lineup last night after taking that shot a couple nights before. But, I am pretty sure he was instructed NOT to fight Boogey by management.

But...Could you really have aked for a better night from your 4th line in General?

I don't fault Boogaard at all, but instead would have rather seen it addressed right then and there when Armstrong hit Gaborik. But...there are certain players on this team that just don't provide that. I think Gilroy gave a half-hearted shove, but...that's not really doing much.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I was at the game and completely missed Avery's slash because my eyes were on some Ranger (swear it was Fedotenko) jumping on a Leaf and giving it to him. Was that Armstrong? I couldn't really tell why there was that far end scrum away from Avery's.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
I was at the game and completely missed Avery's slash because my eyes were on some Ranger (swear it was Fedotenko) jumping on a Leaf and giving it to him. Was that Armstrong? I couldn't really tell why there was that far end scrum away from Avery's.
Yes.

Feds grabbed him by the throat and wrestled him down and gave him two small jabs to the face when he was laying on the ice.
He got a holding minor for it.

Last edited by Loffen: 10-16-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Chimp

I've said it before, Boogaard will earn about $500k a fight. If he even fights that many times this season. It's been been written on the wall for years now that the old time hockey goon is outdated and rendered useless with the instigator rule. Yet we signed him to that incredibly overpaid contract for some retarded reason.

At least Orr went dirty on Ovechkin when Brashear targeted Jagr. Boogaard obviously should've ran Kesler.

I completely agree, $1.6m on Boogaard is that many million down the drain, because he is completely useless to the team out there. He can't skate, he can't play offense, he can't play defense and he can't fight, because no one will ever fight him (and if they do, the fight will be completely meaningless).

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote