HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do Pens fans like Matt Cooke?

View Poll Results: Do you like Cooke?
Yes, he's one of those guys you hate on other teams, but love on your own 125 83.89%
No, I guess I support him cause he's a Pen, but he's just such a dirty rat 24 16.11%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Sorry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat13 View Post
If Cooke were on my team, I'd have no respect for him, and thus hate him. He's a tried and true cheap ass punk. What he did to Savard is unforgivable. I hope he gets the same asap but X10.
Crossing the blue line with your head down and admiring your pass is like running a red through a four way intersection. You are just asking to get hit. No one wishes that Savard had the recurring issues, though. Anyone who has played hockey isn't a fan of concussions.

I love Matt Cooke. As said earlier, he brings it every shift.

Old
10-16-2010, 03:29 PM
StephenDedalus

Cooke is the shiz. Love him.

Old
10-16-2010, 03:33 PM
vyktor

I liked Ruutu better. I think unfortunately like Ruutu his reputation proceeds him. Guys like that have to play on the edge to stay in the league, therefore they are involved in more questionable plays regardless of if they intend to injure someone. Neither are ever going to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs, or other players or fans of other teams. My big concern when he was signed this summer was how many '2 mins for being Matt Cooke' penalties is that going to be for the next 3 years.

Old
10-16-2010, 03:43 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

When player is described as being someone you "hate to play against, but aboslutely love to have on your team", well then that pretty much sums up Matt Cooke to perfection. If he were on any other team I'd absolutely detest the guy as well. As a Pens fan though, I absolutely love the guy and what he brings to the fold. The fact that we're paying him peanuts only makes him all the more valuable.

Old
10-16-2010, 03:45 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I am serious. His garbage antics disgust me. We aren't the Flyers. We don't need trash to win hockey games.

I love nothing more than a physical hockey team, but we aren't the broad street bullies.
The thing is... Cooke doesn't bully anyone around. Every team, at every level of competitive hockey, needs a guy like Matt Cooke. Playing very close to the edge is exactly what he needs to do to even stay in the NHL. It's about bringing that emotion and energy to the team.

Sure, sometimes he steps over the edge. It unfortunately happens when you play a game as fast as hockey is. If you have to play that close to the line, you will always occasionally step over it. It's the nature and the beauty of the game of hockey. It isn't something new either... this has been in hockey since the beginning.

It would be fantastic if the NHL did a documentary of the psychology that takes place on the ice. It goes completely unnoticed to everyone. Even if you are a fan in the building and are sitting in the very first row - you will not see what is really going on. If Cooke can get a few people to focus on him, then the ice opens up. Players stop focusing on positioning to go out of the way and attack him.

I'm not trying to be pompous because I was blessed to be a part of this game so long, but I can at least offer you my opinion on the whole situation.

Old
10-16-2010, 03:51 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The thing is... Cooke doesn't bully anyone around. Every team, at every level of competitive hockey, needs a guy like Matt Cooke. Playing very close to the edge is exactly what he needs to do to even stay in the NHL. It's about bringing that emotion and energy to the team.

Sure, sometimes he steps over the edge. It unfortunately happens when you play a game as fast as hockey is. If you have to play that close to the line, you will always occasionally step over it. It's the nature and the beauty of the game of hockey. It isn't something new either... this has been in hockey since the beginning.

It would be fantastic if the NHL did a documentary of the psychology that takes place on the ice. It goes completely unnoticed to everyone. Even if you are a fan in the building and are sitting in the very first row - you will not see what is really going on. If Cooke can get a few people to focus on him, then the ice opens up. Players stop focusing on positioning to go out of the way and attack him.

I'm not trying to be pompous because I was blessed to be a part of this game so long, but I can at least offer you my opinion on the whole situation.
Cooke is one of the rare players today that still practices "old time hockey" on every single shift. Is he dirty? Hell yes he is! But he does it in a way where he can get away with it most of the time. In that respect, the type of dirty hockey he plays is almost like an art, as he knows how to play it to perfection!

He's also one of the best aggitators in the league, and knows how to sucker the opposition into taking stupid penalties. On top of that, he's probably the biggest hitter of all our forwards. The man will go head-first into the boards if he has to just to lay that punishing it on the forecheck.

Lastly, he can actually PLAY HOCKEY. There's definitely a solid skillset to Cooke's game, as he's a 3rd liner that can actually be expected to put up 30+ points and 10-15 goals a season.

He's the ideal 3rd line grinder/aggitator than any team would love to have on their roster, and we're fortunate enought to have him for well under 2 million per season!

Old
10-16-2010, 04:17 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

He's on that same list of guys you want dead if they're on the other team, but love when he's on your team.

Others on this list: Asham, Ruutu and Ovechkin (probably)

Old
10-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Koempel

I kind of look away when a dirty play by Cooke happens. I compare him with Dutch soccer player Nigel de Jong. Sometimes deep inside you're ashamed by the injuries he inflicts on opponents, but the voice of logic in your head tells you, you need such players to get far in tournaments/playoffs. Aside from his play, he seems like a genuinely nice guy in interviews and I love his glove spinning thingie.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Wickedtune

i bought a cooke jersey when he re-signed this summer

Old
10-16-2010, 04:40 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Love Him

wish we had more players that are as physical as him. that might not make a difference on playsation but it sure does in real life.

To The Original Poster....did You Like Darcy Tucker When He Was With Toronto?

Old
10-16-2010, 04:41 PM
EddieBa26
HFBoards Sponsor

The Savard hit *elbow* was the it for me. He has no class and is nothing more than a goon with a bit of skill. Keeping him on the roster means we have no recourse to question the Flyers filth as Cooke would fit in perfectly there. Never mind that we have Jesse Boulerice in Scranton as well, another piece of crap who is undeserving of a career in hockey.

10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
I DON'T like Matt Cooke when he does something that warrants me not to like him. He hasn't done anything as of late. Taking "goalie interference" penalties is not a big f'ing deal. And you must like a lot of BAD movies if you bought that acting done by DiPietro allll night. Or did you even see the game or just the 20 seconds of youtube?

Now go back to the general boards and keep bashing. Don't come here and start.

And I would like Matt Cooke's play on any team. Not just this one.

Last edited by PensPlz: 10-16-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old
10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
JTG

I think people who aren't fans of the Pens don't realize how good of a hockey player Matt Cooke is. All they see is the cheap stuff he has done, but fail to recognize that the guy belongs in the league. Not enough credit is given to him for his skill, IMO.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
GeoffreyPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat13 View Post
If Cooke were on my team, I'd have no respect for him, and thus hate him. He's a tried and true cheap ass punk. What he did to Savard is unforgivable. I hope he gets the same asap but X10.
You hated what Cooke did, but you want someone else to do it to him? Two wrongs don't make a right, no matter how you look at things.

I am not the biggest fan of his as a person (He comes into my work from time to time), but I love him as a player, and would respect him as such if he were on another team. I am glad to have him as a Penguin and the team is lucky to have him on the contract that they do.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Definitely put me on the list of guys that like him. I love what he brings to the Pens and the way he plays and is a much more consistent player than a dirty player.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:26 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcquaticBirdMan66 View Post
Cooke is one of the rare players today that still practices "old time hockey" on every single shift. Is he dirty? Hell yes he is! But he does it in a way where he can get away with it most of the time. In that respect, the type of dirty hockey he plays is almost like an art, as he knows how to play it to perfection!
He's also one of the best aggitators in the league, and knows how to sucker the opposition into taking stupid penalties. On top of that, he's probably the biggest hitter of all our forwards. The man will go head-first into the boards if he has to just to lay that punishing it on the forecheck.

Lastly, he can actually PLAY HOCKEY. There's definitely a solid skillset to Cooke's game, as he's a 3rd liner that can actually be expected to put up 30+ points and 10-15 goals a season.

He's the ideal 3rd line grinder/aggitator than any team would love to have on their roster, and we're fortunate enought to have him for well under 2 million per season!
And I love that. Look at last night where Letang got kicked out for a good hockey hit. Its this new thought in the league that everyone should be playing in a bubble and heaven forbid anyone get hurt. If I wanted to watch a sport where no one got hurt I'm sure ESPN8 is showing a game of checkers.

No one wants to see players get hurt but hitting is hockey and Matt Cooke hits. Thats his job.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:29 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think people who aren't fans of the Pens don't realize how good of a hockey player Matt Cooke is. All they see is the cheap stuff he has done, but fail to recognize that the guy belongs in the league. Not enough credit is given to him for his skill, IMO.
30 points the last two years 6 in 13 during last years playoffs.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:44 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

He's slightly less dirty than Ovechkin.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:50 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
30 points the last two years 6 in 13 during last years playoffs.
Yeah...

Old
10-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Hizaki
Taylor Swift 1989 :)

Yeah, I generally like him on our team. I hated that hit on Savard, but in terms of his role, he plays it very well and has some very decent skill for sure.

Old
10-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I like Cooke, he does his job well. Not a fan of cheap shots, a la the Savard hit.

On the other hand, I HATED Ruutu and think he's a disgrace to hockey and a liability to the Pens. IMO, the difference between the 2 is Cooke doesn't give other team a PP every shift.

Old
10-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I like Cooke, he does his job well. Not a fan of cheap shots, a la the Savard hit.

On the other hand, I HATED Ruutu and think he's a disgrace to hockey and a liability to the Pens. IMO, the difference between the 2 is Cooke doesn't give other team a PP every shift.

Cooke vs Ruutu
Effectiveness as Agitator - Edge Cook
Hockey Skill - edge cook
PK ability - edge cook
Energy - edge cook
Physicality - edge cook

Old
10-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjm5 View Post
Cooke vs Ruutu
Effectiveness as Agitator - Edge Cook
Hockey Skill - edge cook
PK ability - edge cook
Energy - edge cook
Physicality - edge cook
Exactly. Cooke may be dirty, but he's no worse than Ovechkin or Mike Richards, and no Caps or Flyers fan would ever want those 2 players off the team due to dirtiness.

Last edited by Ziggyjoe21: 10-16-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old
10-16-2010, 07:02 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Cooke is a positive to the Penguins, he's not a "disgrace". This is hockey FFS, you need some players to play on the edge. The Savard hit was bad, but many players have thrown the same hit, and it wasn't even illegal at the time.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:01 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

If he wasn't a Pen...I'd absolutely hate him. Just like Ruutu.

Thankfully, that idiot plays for our team and I'd rather he run their goalie then ours...

Closed Thread