HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens v Flyers

Old
10-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
Make no mistake, MAF is this team's starter until his contract is up, and even then probably further into the future.

Johnson is playing well, but MAF will be back soon enough, for better or worse.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:19 PM

+ Sid... now thats the Crosby we've been waiting for. Getting to loose pucks and making plays. I'm hoping that there's little down time from him from now on.

+ Gogo... up and down the ice and very aggressive. It seemed like he's up ice every play and not getting caught.

+ Talbot... on every loose puck and great on the PK.

+ Johnson... solid in every way shape and form.

+ Gotta give it up to DB. He seemed to make some tweaks and I love the pivot man on the PP. I would like to see Letang in that role though. A lefty like Gogs has to stop the puck when pucks come to him from the right side. We'll see how Disco fares from here on in. I don't mind a coach trying different things as long as he can make adjustments along the way to fit the team and not force their style where it doesn't belong. Personally I hate 1D coaches, even the good ones, and would hate to see DB become that.

+ Loved the post support by the D. Lets hope MAF can get that strong play around the net when he goes back in.

- No center drive when the wingers get the pucks deep in the corners.

I'm hoping this is the Pens team that we'll be seeing for the rest of the year. Fast, in D's faces, pushing plays up ice and pouring sugar down gas tanks. I really want to see the Pens plaster that Sens D in the next game.

One question... with Letestu looking good with Malkin do the Pens go back to Cooke-Staal-TK in a month or so?

-

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I agree that it was Malkin's position that gave Sid more space, but a good PP has movement and rotation. We can't really know either way if Geno's rotation was the players throwing the system to the wind or moving like they draw it up in practice.

If we don't see the same movement in the next few games I'll be right back agreeing with you. Until then I'll give DB the benefit of the doubt because the players were looking for the shot more and that's almost always coaching.
I vote for coincidence myself until I see it happen again . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Guins71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
+
Mark Letestu - This guy is the ****ing man. Makes smart plays and plays his heart out.
Kris Letang - I thought Letang played pretty well on both sides of the ice tonight.
Posts - Brent Johnson thanks you. Those posts were insanely clutch tonight.

-
Hutchinson - When is Orpik coming back again?

Neutral
Power Play - Don't let the numbers fool you. The power play sucked again. Malkin and Crosby passing back and forth and waiting for a one-timer isn't an effective 5 on 3 strategy. Having Crosby on the point makes absolutely no sense, and don't let the fact that he scored make you think otherwise.
Crosby - He wasn't playing well aside from that minute span in the 3rd. Yes, those goals were huge, but I cannot really remember a time when he carried the play.
Brent Johnson - Look, he made some clutch saves. That save on Briere at the end was huge. But if even one of the three posts that were hit go in, this is a completely different game.

Typical Fleury fanboy response. When posts are hit on Fleury it's because it's the only spot they could have beat them, if it happens to johnson it's because he's lucky.

I can tell you that Johnson brings a calmness to this team that Fleury does not. I didnt see many juicy rebounds or flopping tonight. It was nice.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Yes? But if you were watching that game you can not say that was a effective powerplay showing for a game as a whole. You'll have a really hard time of convincing me of that.

The Flyers were playing completely undisciplined and aimless for a good stretch of that game. With how they were playing we should have converted more. Simple as that, no other way to slice it. Especially with the multiple 5 on 3 chances and a 4M major.

Im happy for the win, but I am still very critical of this team at the moment. As a team, we are not playing good hockey.
They had their fair share of chances on the PP too and got a nice bounce at a perfect angle for a goal. I mean depending on what camp you're in, can't you say the Pens made them play that way? Solid D for the most part, and having the goalie do his ****ing job and defend a breakdown when one happens?

All I know is we have our top D pairing out, as well as a crucial 3rd member of what's basically a 3 member offense on the shelf as well.

It's a broken team and look where we are, PP niggles aside.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Make no mistake, MAF is this team's starter until his contract is up, and even then probably further into the future.

Johnson is playing well, but MAF will be back soon enough, for better or worse.
Sad but true. Even if he plays average Monday I have a feeling he will end as the number 1 once again. Maybe he will wake up and realize he has to play better.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I felt the emotion/sense of urgency on the powerplay where Sid got his first goal. It finally felt like the guys cared. Most notably - Sid and Geno.

The system still blows and doesn't complement the players, but as long as we are winning at this point and time - i'll take it.
Well, yeah, I'm glad we won, but the problem with Geno being a 8.7M waste of cap space given this system and staff isn't going away.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I loved Zherdev coming from the side and crosschecking Godard, then covering up when he saw who it was, haha.

Another solid outing from Engelland, it's even more impressive that he can pull this off paired with Hutchinson. How about the wheels on that rush up ice? Where the hell did that come from?

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I agree with this. Malkin isn't an $8.7 million player with his role on this team right now. We didn't sign him for $8.7 million to screw around on the wing so that our $4 million player can try to figure out how to become a scoring line player.
And, therein lies the problem for Ray Shero . . . at some point, he'll have to choose between Bylsma and Malkin. I don't see Malkin pulling a Jagr, but his play in this system and for this staff is going to put Shero into the position to have to make that choice.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:24 PM
KIRK

BTW, the puck support still sucks and, like Cole, I cringe every time I watch that 1-2-2 forecheck.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Bluefan75

I thought the effort overall was much better tonight. There seemed to be a concerted effort to get more shots, and get them off quicker. Wasn't perfect, but a uge improvement IMHO from the other games so far.

Maybe I'm being a Crosby slappy, but I saw a guy battling for the puck in the offensive zone. I know it's supposed to be a badge of honor that a forward also "protects his own zone," but I didn't realize he got paid his money for his defensive zone prowess. I'll take 3 points and "lazy defensive circles" from him every day. There's a ton of guys who can play decent defense. Not many can put up points like he can.

Kirk, I would hope that the coach gets replaced before Malkin. Surely RS would not make that mistake. Frankly, I would only trade Malkin if you could get a Drew Doughty type in return. Performances like this, though, are not helping things. But that is on Bylsma, I agree.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Ugene Malkin
Experience & VooDoo

Ive got Sid then Johnson & Letang for my three stars.

I love how they still took it with out Staal, Michalek & Orpik not in the line up.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
I thought the effort overall was much better tonight. There seemed to be a concerted effort to get more shots, and get them off quicker. Wasn't perfect, but a uge improvement IMHO from the other games so far.

Maybe I'm being a Crosby slappy, but I saw a guy battling for the puck in the offensive zone. I know it's supposed to be a badge of honor that a forward also "protects his own zone," but I didn't realize he got paid his money for his defensive zone prowess. I'll take 3 points and "lazy defensive circles" from him every day. There's a ton of guys who can play decent defense. Not many can put up points like he can.

Kirk, I would hope that the coach gets replaced before Malkin. Surely RS would not make that mistake. Frankly, I would only trade Malkin if you could get a Drew Doughty type in return. Performances like this, though, are not helping things. But that is on Bylsma, I agree.
1. Sid really seemed to feed a lot off the two goals. I hope he carries it into next game.

2. I don't think that Malkin is awful. But, if you're going to tie up about 15% of your cap space in one player, you need a coaching staff that sees him and uses him as something more than Wutjek Wolski . . . or atleast is a little more constructive than just neutering him like a dog night in and night out. As I've said many times, this team has too much talent to miss the playoffs. But, it's only going to win a cup if Malkin is going (again, I credit Fitzie riding him and a 16 game Ryan Malone lite impersonation from Talbot with that fortuitously timed hot streak from Malkin . . . otherwise, healthy two years ago and now, not healthy last year, he's sucked with Bylsma).

Old
10-16-2010, 08:33 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

+Crosby: 8 Shots. Keep it up! He's still getting his game going but in the meantime, a 3-point game helps!

+Letestu: I might take some flack for this but he reminds me of a less talented Pavel Datsyuk.

+Johnson: Just rock solid.

+Letang: Getting better and better and starting to give Orpik a run for his money for dangerous hitter.

+Martin: Always so smart with his stick, with the puck. He's been everything that he was advertised to be.

In fact, I was pretty pleased with our whole blueline this game. Lovejoy, Gologoski, Engelland, and Hutchenson all stepped up and played well.

-Crosby: Still not in mid-season form but we all know how that goes...

-Malkin: Ditto, though he's working hard.

-The PP: I'll give it some more time now though. Kunitz seems to have really bought into his role in front and maybe that will turn it around.

-Flyers Fans: Why not, for just one game, try not chanting "Crosby Sucks!" and see what happens?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:38 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Check out this little quote Richards had with the press after the game according to the Flyers board.

"When you play against the Penguins, you know they are going to go down easy" -Mike Richards

Old
10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
+Crosby: +Letestu: I might take some flack for this but he reminds me of a less talented Pavel Datsyuk.
I like Letestu... I'm liking him a lot right now. But Datsyuk? Really? I can see the comparison but, when I think of Dats I think of the maybe the best puck handler in the game. Not the guy that just does everything right.

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
2. I don't think that Malkin is awful. But, if you're going to tie up about 15% of your cap space in one player, you need a coaching staff that sees him and uses him as something more than Wutjek Wolski . . . or atleast is a little more constructive than just neutering him like a dog night in and night out. As I've said many times, this team has too much talent to miss the playoffs. But, it's only going to win a cup if Malkin is going (again, I credit Fitzie riding him and a 16 game Ryan Malone lite impersonation from Talbot with that fortuitously timed hot streak from Malkin . . . otherwise, healthy two years ago and now, not healthy last year, he's sucked with Bylsma).
When I saw Malkin out there with Crosby somewhat early on, it reminded me of an episode of How I Met Your Mother, known as the Naked Man. Basically the guy goes on a date, and when back at his/her place, when she leaves the room, he strips down so that when she comes back, she is either disgusted, or figures what the hell(claims it works 2 out of 3 times). Robyn(character on the show) tries to show that doing it was not just a reaction to Naked Man, and goes out with him again, but he breaks it off. "You've seen my move. I've got nothing else, it's all downhill from here."

Crosby/Malkin is Bylsma's move, which we've all seen, and certainly does not work nearly as well as the naked man is purported to.

No idea why that popped into my head tonight, but, it did. Bylsma needs to come up with a new move.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Check out this little quote Richards had with the press after the game according to the Flyers board.

"When you play against the Penguins, you know they are going to go down easy" -Mike Richards
Roflsocks... Semo Quote: When you beat the Flyers you know there are will always be some sort of cheating or foul play involved. It's impossible to accept the fact that the Flyers Captain chose to spend critical minutes in the box for slashing and roughing.

Richards is a *****.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Really a vaginal fart is bleeped out word? I thought I was being polite.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:45 PM
JWells16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guins71 View Post
Typical Fleury fanboy response. When posts are hit on Fleury it's because it's the only spot they could have beat them, if it happens to johnson it's because he's lucky.

I can tell you that Johnson brings a calmness to this team that Fleury does not. I didnt see many juicy rebounds or flopping tonight. It was nice.
Interesting to learn that I'm a Fleury fanboy... In case you were wondering, I was actually in favor of starting Johnson tonight. If it was Fleury in net, I would have said the same thing. The bottom line is that the turning point in the game was in the third period when the Flyers hit two posts and then Carter took a 4 minute penalty. If one of those go in, the game is 2-2, and we don't get a power play, which leads to 2 more goals.

In all honesty, I'm actually in favor of riding out Johnson's hot hand for as long as we can. The last time we had a legitimate back up playing well was Ty Conklin, and Fleury seemed a bit motivated by it when he got back. Maybe he needs it again.

But hey, don't mind me, I'm just a typical Fleury fanboy.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 08:49 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post
Interesting to learn that I'm a Fleury fanboy... In case you were wondering, I was actually in favor of starting Johnson tonight. If it was Fleury in net, I would have said the same thing. The bottom line is that the turning point in the game was in the third period when the Flyers hit two posts and then Carter took a 4 minute penalty. If one of those go in, the game is 2-2, and we don't get a power play, which leads to 2 more goals.

In all honesty, I'm actually in favor of riding out Johnson's hot hand for as long as we can. The last time we had a legitimate back up playing well was Ty Conklin, and Fleury seemed a bit motivated by it when he got back. Maybe he needs it again.

But hey, don't mind me, I'm just a typical Fleury fanboy.
I don't neccessarily disagree with this idea. Ride the hot hand imo.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Engelland apparently has wheels. Who knew.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
+Crosby: 8 Shots. Keep it up! He's still getting his game going but in the meantime, a 3-point game helps!

+Letestu: I might take some flack for this but he reminds me of a less talented Pavel Datsyuk.

+Johnson: Just rock solid.

+Letang: Getting better and better and starting to give Orpik a run for his money for dangerous hitter.

+Martin: Always so smart with his stick, with the puck. He's been everything that he was advertised to be.

In fact, I was pretty pleased with our whole blueline this game. Lovejoy, Gologoski, Engelland, and Hutchenson all stepped up and played well.

-Crosby: Still not in mid-season form but we all know how that goes...

-Malkin: Ditto, though he's working hard.

-The PP: I'll give it some more time now though. Kunitz seems to have really bought into his role in front and maybe that will turn it around.

-Flyers Fans: Why not, for just one game, try not chanting "Crosby Sucks!" and see what happens?

Just about everything you wrote about is what i had on my notepad. I agree with everything.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sEmowashere View Post
Roflsocks... Semo Quote: When you beat the Flyers you know there are will always be some sort of cheating or foul play involved. It's impossible to accept the fact that the Flyers Captain chose to spend critical minutes in the box for slashing and roughing.

Richards is a *****.
Its all that "leadership" he has

Old
10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Jacob

A great bounce back game for Letang.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote