HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Pens v Flyers

Old
10-16-2010, 09:51 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
A great bounce back game for Letang.
I honestly think that's the best defensive game I've seen him play.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:55 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Its all that "leadership" he has
Yep leadership out the cornhole. Literally, Pierre knows. Don't get me wrong I would like him on the Pens but not our Captain.

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:57 PM
lirit
Romans 8:31

Read the caption..

lirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:58 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sEmowashere View Post
Yep leadership out the cornhole. Literally, Pierre knows. Don't get me wrong I would like him on the Pens but not our Captain.
He's a fantastic player, but those hard minutes with him having to play PK all the time is going to shorten his shelf life.

This is why I'm not the biggest fan of having your better offensive players out there killing penalties, no matter how good they are at it.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:59 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
I like Letestu... I'm liking him a lot right now. But Datsyuk? Really? I can see the comparison but, when I think of Dats I think of the maybe the best puck handler in the game. Not the guy that just does everything right.
Haha, that's why I said "a less talented Pavel Datsyuk", you know, so I could have a fall-back position.

No, he doesn't remind me of Datsyuk because of any slick moves but just because of how smartly he plays: Getting body positioning, stealing pucks off people, and just making really creative and dangerous plays that come from a high Hockey IQ. Even his physicality level- While he's not terribly big or strong, he does seem to know how to use what he's got and position himself just so.

Maybe I'll fall out of love with Letestu as we go along here but right now he's got me really excited.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Hockeygod66

Letang was playing some pretty good hockey against the islanders before they ejected him for that sweet hit. I think hes definately going to learn a few things from Martin to make him into a even better two way defense man.

Hockeygod66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Check out this little quote Richards had with the press after the game according to the Flyers board.

"When you play against the Penguins, you know they are going to go down easy" -Mike Richards
I hope Richards actually believes this, and I hope the rest of the Flyers do too. If they keep blaming everyone but themselves, they'll just keep playing boneheaded, undisciplined hockey.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:07 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
He's a fantastic player, but those hard minutes with him having to play PK all the time is going to shorten his shelf life.

This is why I'm not the biggest fan of having your better offensive players out there killing penalties, no matter how good they are at it.
Oh agreed, but him and Staal on the PK... Sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Haha, that's why I said "a less talented Pavel Datsyuk", you know, so I could have a fall-back position.

No, he doesn't remind me of Datsyuk because of any slick moves but just because of how smartly he plays: Getting body positioning, stealing pucks off people, and just making really creative and dangerous plays that come from a high Hockey IQ. Even his physicality level- While he's not terribly big or strong, he does seem to know how to use what he's got and position himself just so.

Maybe I'll fall out of love with Letestu as we go along here but right now he's got me really excited.

Oh yeah I'm right there with you. I'm naming my erection Mark Letestu... seriously my wife hates it. I'm sure it will fade but when Staal returns if he maintains the 3rd line I fully expect 40-50 pts from this badass mofo.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:12 PM
GrouperTrooper

I think you guys should just relax about Malkin being ruined until Staalsy returns.
If Malkin is still struggling after a dozen games with Staal, then we can all agree that Malkin the winger doesn't work.

I'm optimistic that Tangradi,Staal, Malkin will become THE dominate line for the pens, and one of the better ones in the league.

Then RS will ship out a half dozen grinders and procure a creative right handed winger for Sid.

And all will be right in the world.

Edit* or just they could just promote Letestu to L1!

GrouperTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:15 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

So real question here.

When Sid's linemates are Kennedy and Cooke soes that mean that he has been demoted or they have been promoted?

Old
10-16-2010, 10:16 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Just about everything you wrote about is what i had on my notepad. I agree with everything.
Yup, I was pretty much in line with most of that as well.

In the end, it's not X-Box. The coach doesn't have a game pad controlling everything that's going on, despite what people think.

When a coach draws up a PP, each player has their spot, and are given their instructions on key points and general strategy. What to do when defender X is standing here, where to go where defender Y gets drawn there, etc. etc.

It happens in football, and it happens in hockey. Things break down, lanes are covered, teammates are being boxed out: the play you generally drew up isn't going to work (NEWS FLASH: Your plan often breaks down, there ARE actual professional millionaires playing for the other side as well) When that happens, you have to improvise, use your vision and talent to set something up. Move, rotate, try to get defenders out of their box.

I have a real hard ****ing time believing that if Malkin wants to rotate to the right side, he can't because the coach has ordered him not to. Every PP he finds himself on that right side. Perhaps not off the draw, but as they move it around.

I can tell you one thing. I'm willing to bet my life the staff doesn't tell Sid to make stupid blind passes. Or tell Letang when he has an open shot to defer to someone else (or shoot wide) or tell Geno to fire straight into the shin pads of a defender standing a half a foot away from him.

With the players we're missing from the lineup and the fact that we're a handful of games in with plenty of changes and adjustments to come, I can live with what's gone on these last couple of days.

I wonder if Johnson would have allowed 4 goals on 14 shots, or would have allowed that Gomez goal. I wonder where we'd be then...

Old
10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

I don't see how anybody can give Sid a minus today, even aside from his two goals. He made an excellent play to set up the first goal and was noticeable all over the ice. I mean, he wasn't as dominant as he can be, but it was definitely the best game of year for Crosby.

With that said:

+ Crosby: For reasons stated already.

+ Letang: Also had his best game of the year. At even strength the kid is a force. I just hope he develops into a true powerplay weapon, as that is the only thing keeping him from being a legitimate top pairing guy.

+ Johnson: Had the help of a couple posts but he also had an unfortunate bounce that led to the only goal against. I say keep starting him until we have a reason not to.

+ Martin: Another brilliant performance from #7.

+ Overall team defense: Everybody was playing well positionally and not chasing in the defensive zone, the forwards were backchecking, etc. The Flyers were frustrated offensively and it showed.

- Powerplay: While it came through twice it still looked stagnant and not very dangerous.

- Malkin: I've liked his play this season despite the lack of production but I didn't feel like he had a very strong game. Too many turnovers mostly, but he didn't create as much as I would have liked.

- Comrie: I don't know if he's being misused or what, but he hasn't been noticeable at all over the last two games.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
So real question here.

When Sid's linemates are Kennedy and Cooke soes that mean that he has been demoted or they have been promoted?
No, just that someone tapped the wrong shoulders.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Mike Richards:"Woe is us"

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:20 PM
GrouperTrooper

Quote:
So real question here.

With how dreadful Kunie and Duppers have been (Kunie had a decent enough game today). That's definitely a promotion for the other 3.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:21 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
^^ Only thing I'll argue that the coaches are definitely doing wrong lie within the system.

- We are playing a simple 1-2-2. We played a 2-3 when we won the Cup (outside of the majority of the Wings series where we switched back and forth).

- We have no center drive AT ALL. That lane opens up so much and actually makes it easier to get pucks on net. I'd love to see the guys get back to that simple hockey.

- Our powerplay is too complicated. Simplify it and stop worrying about these east-west passes and worry about winning battles and finding 2 on 1's to exploit. Also go back to man defensive zone coverage.

Other than that it's lack of confidence in one another. That is all on the players.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Illinest

i miss jordan staal

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
GrouperTrooper

Quote:
When a coach draws up a PP, each player has their spot, and are given their instructions on key points and general strategy. What to do when defender X is standing here, where to go where defender Y gets drawn there, etc. etc.
I have a real hard ****ing time believing that if Malkin wants to rotate to the right side, he can't because the coach has ordered him not to. Every PP he finds himself on that right side. Perhaps not off the draw, but as they move it around.
Coach just needs to clarify that they are allowed to move from "their spots".

A couple of times there Gogo rotated from left to right on Geno, to take the shot himself. I'm sure Geno could do the same if he felt like it. I think he and Sid are trying to stay on opposite sides of one another, personally.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperTrooper View Post
I think you guys should just relax about Malkin being ruined until Staalsy returns.
If Malkin is still struggling after a dozen games with Staal, then we can all agree that Malkin the winger doesn't work.

I'm optimistic that Tangradi,Staal, Malkin will become THE dominate line for the pens, and one of the better ones in the league.

Then RS will ship out a half dozen grinders and procure a creative right handed winger for Sid.

And all will be right in the world.

Edit* or just they could just promote Letestu to L1!
It's bunk, so don't buy any of that ****. It's not pee-wee hockey where your coach goes bananas when you're freelancing and getting out of your lane. Some people are looking for ONE occasion where Geno gets stopped up along the boards and go "AH HAH, HE'D NEVER HAVE THAT TROUBLE AT CENTER"

Yes he would. Go back and watch the Cup run and how many times our centers streak down the wing because they saw some room there, or because he wasn't F3 in the D zone so on a turnover, whoever was playing up high was leading the rush.

It's much ado about nothing. If Geno wants to streak up the middle, he will, and he does. Go re-watch tonight's game and see how many times he was "center" as far as the rush was concerned.

If people read the Official site less and didn't get to read Tangradi-Letestu-MALKIN "OMG HE"S ON THE RIGHT AGAIN", they'd actually panic less.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:26 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

+ To win 6 consecutive at "Constantly Changing Name" Center is tremendous!

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:27 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouperTrooper View Post
Coach just needs to clarify that they are allowed to move from "their spots".

A couple of times there Gogo rotated from left to right on Geno, to take the shot himself. I'm sure Geno could do the same if he felt like it. I think he and Sid are trying to stay on opposite sides of one another, personally.
The Caps PP is clicking at 11%, and as far as pure snipers are concerned, neither Sid or Geno are at the level of an Ovechkin or Semin.

They didn't forget how to coach. They didn't change anything up. Nobody's doing anything different. We can ***** and moan about coaching all we want, some of it very valid, but in the end most of the responsibility is on the players.

Funny how short this thread is after a win.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post

Duck Paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:31 PM
1pensfan

I had to laugh when I was reading the Flyers post game talk on their boards. Even Flyer fans are sick of hearing the Crosby sucks chant during the games. What a bunch of dults. Hahaha..... You stay classy Philly..

1pensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Gold Diamond
Til Death do we Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post

Hey Mike.........

1975, *****.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 10:33 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
The Caps PP is clicking at 11%, and as far as pure snipers are concerned, neither Sid or Geno are at the level of an Ovechkin or Semin.

They didn't forget how to coach. They didn't change anything up. Nobody's doing anything different. We can ***** and moan about coaching all we want, some of it very valid, but in the end most of the responsibility is on the players.

Funny how short this thread is after a win.
It is definitely interesting. It's also funny how so many people wrote this team off after four, five or even six games.

We're not playing well right now, that's obvious. I'm not making excuses because guys like Sid, besides his two goals tonight, aren't playing well but...we have Orpik, Michalek (two of our top defenseman), Staal and Asham all out. I'm not ready to judge this team until they're 100% healthy.

I will say though, we need MAF to be our #1 goalie. When Conklin was showing him up when he was out, that was a nice, swift kick in the ass towards MAF and he played much better after that. Hopefully Brent Johnson showing up will be another nice, swift kick in the ass.

Goaltending, PP and injuries are three things that are keeping us from being dominant.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote