HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 4-3 vs the Sens - Kostitsyn buys the fans

Old
10-16-2010, 11:17 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Example of things people don't see on the same page. Price challenged the 2nd goal on top of having players coming flying near him, the shot was hard and near the post if it didn't touched it. No way he could have stopped that.

While the 3rd shot, he wasn't square to the shooter AND the backhand was not hard and was floppinig all over. So he could have stopped that positionnally and/or with his reflexes....easily. He did neither. That's the one he should have got.

But he did other nice saves and wasn't that much occupied to begin with. Pretty tough to get it going when you actually don't have any saves to make. Price wasn't the story here....for once. And that's positive.

Exactly. It was his first shot after what, 10 min?

I also agree on the positioning comments on goal 3. I'm not picking on it. I just don't see that 2nd goal being one of those "he shoulda had it" type goals. VERY challenging shot in a perfect spot when Price seemed set up pretty good

I thought it was silly for CBC to make an issue of either goal except for the odd circumstances of no shots. It's like CBC is picking at scabs

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Exactly. It was his first shot after what, 10 min?
Yes, and that can be a killer for any goalie.
Quote:
I also agree on the positioning comments on goal 3. I'm not picking on it. I just don't see that 2nd goal being one of those "he shoulda had it" type goals. VERY challenging shot in a perfect spot when Price seemed set up pretty good
Okay, am I remembering things wrong then? Wasn't the 3rd goal a rocket from the slot just over Price's glove? It was back to back slapshots on two consecutive shots no?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Okay, am I remembering things wrong then? Wasn't the 3rd goal a rocket from the slot just over Price's glove? It was back to back slapshots on two consecutive shots no?
The replays are available here.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Nidema

Quote:

I think you have them mixed up. Second goal was a slapshot from karlsson. 3rd goal was the move by michalek around Spacek and then a backhander.

Should have definitely had the 3rd one. 2nd one is debatable.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Amputechture

Quote:

No it was the one where spacek's jock strap was left in the stands when michalek danced around him and snuck one just between price's glove and his left pad.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
I think you have them mixed up. Second goal was a slapshot from karlsson. 3rd goal was the move by michalek around Spacek and then a backhander.

Ah okay, the 1st goal was another shot from the slot right? That's the one I thought he should've had even though it had some mustard on it. The 2nd one I thought he had no chance on because it was absolutely perfect.

Old
10-16-2010, 11:29 PM
habtastic

Obviously: AK - aweeeesome

Price: Is ultimately the reason we won (as he should be), despite opinions on the last Ottawa goal (I think it was more Spacek).

Eller: Can we please give this guy a chance to completely dominate the league?

Boyd: So glad we got him

Gio: History was made tonight. Coincidence that it was very similar to Saku's breakaway move?

Cammy: not Cammy. He did not finish. Cammy finishes. Then again, remember when he returned from injury at the end of the season - 0 goals. Start of the playoffs til the end - 13. He'll get going. CBC is demented. AK was by farrrr first star. IMO Price should be second or tied with Plekanec who really is the engineer of this team.

Another solid game by Gorges. We should be able to give out more "A"s

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Cool, yup I mixed them up. I thought he should've had the 1st goal and didn't have much of a chance on the 2nd.

Old
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
To be honest, I don't remember the backhanded goal.
Michalek comes down the left side with speed and cuts across to the right side leaving Spacek who failed on a sweep check attempt. He then makes a back hand shot to the glove side of Price for a 3 to 1 lead (3rd shot of period for Sens?)

After that goal they zoomed in on Price's glove while the critique continued

Quote:
Ah okay, the 1st goal was another shot from the slot right? That's the one I thought he should've had even though it had some mustard on it. The 2nd one I thought he had no chance on because it was absolutely perfect.
The 1st goal was kind of a fluke. It hits the right post and goes behind him across to Michalek who showed pretty good hand eye coordination to tap it in

So I guess Carey had to stop it from hitting the post since he had no chance on the tap in

Old
10-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Michalek comes down the left side with speed and cuts across to the right side leaving Spacek who failed on a sweep check attempt. He then makes a back hand shot to the glove side of Price for a 3 to 1 lead (3rd shot of period for Sens?)

After that goal they zoomed in on Price's glove while the critique continued

Yeah, he had no chance on that one. I remember them saying that the Sens were focusing on Price's glove side but I don't remember them ripping him on that goal.

I don't remember thinking that they were being unfair. Then again, I didn't remember the third goal being a backhand so maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention...

Old
10-16-2010, 11:37 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Obviously: AK - aweeeesome

Price: Is ultimately the reason we won (as he should be), despite opinions on the last Ottawa goal (I think it was more Spacek).

Eller: Can we please give this guy a chance to completely dominate the league?

Boyd: So glad we got him

Gio: History was made tonight. Coincidence that it was very similar to Saku's breakaway move?

Cammy: not Cammy. He did not finish. Cammy finishes. Then again, remember when he returned from injury at the end of the season - 0 goals. Start of the playoffs til the end - 13. He'll get going. CBC is demented. AK was by farrrr first star. IMO Price should be second or tied with Plekanec who really is the engineer of this team.

Another solid game by Gorges. We should be able to give out more "A"s
Yup, 'cause we all know Ovechkin scores each and every game, like every other goalscorers

Goal scorers are streaky by definition. He still was Cammy. 8 shots on goal and always looking to get the puck closer to the goal. That's what Cammy is to me. He's a human like everybody else. SAying he wasn't himself because "he didn't finish" is simplistic as hell...

As for the rest, crow has never tasted so good as it does right now for Andrei Kostitsyn. The guy actually plays clever hockey out there!

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Maliki2

OK just watched my DVDrd game. Great game, but was a bit worried when we fell behind!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:38 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post

3rd one was meh. That second one is almost impossible to save, guy is on top of the circle. It's not like he was beaten by Kostopoulos. He did make a nice save at the end of the 2nd period which was key

Last edited by JackZap: 10-17-2010 at 12:16 AM.
JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 11:38 PM
TankEller*

I'll also add this one up:

Halpern is the most underrated acquisition of the summer, all teams included. This guy is a legit shutdown C like we've not had in years.

Old
10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
No it was the one where spacek's jock strap was left in the stands when michalek danced around him and snuck one just between price's glove and his left pad.
Spacek certainly did not help matters. Actually his jock was more useful than he was on the play though

Quote:
Yeah, he had no chance on that one. I remember them saying that the Sens were focusing on Price's glove side but I don't remember them ripping him on that goal.

I don't remember thinking that they were being unfair. Then again, I didn't remember the third goal being a backhand so maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention...

LOL We're a pair. You can't remember the goal and I can't remember the announcer

Seriously though it was like they were trying to create some issue with stories about the Habs trying to get him to hold his glove higher to stop those shots( 2nd goal). Then again the 3rd goal went under his glove. Hmmmm??? He has to hold the glove lower now?

The camera guy zooming in on the glove to emphasize kinda bugged me for some reason

Old
10-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
LOL We're a pair. You can't remember the goal and I can't remember the announcer

Seriously though it was like they were trying to create some issue with stories about the Habs trying to get him to hold his glove higher to stop those shots( 2nd goal). Then again the 3rd goal went under his glove. Hmmmm??? He has to hold the glove lower now?
Actually, they've been talking about that a lot this season.

Price is working on consciously keeping the glove in a higher position as shooters approach and so far it's been pretty successful this year. It was an area that he wanted to improve on during the preseason and so far it seems to have been paying off. You'll probably hear this again as the season progresses.

The book on Price is to go high glove side. Every goalie has his weakness and Price is working on improving his. That's why you saw the Sens try to go glove all night long. The commentators were just talking about this, I didn't think it was derrogatory. Again though, I might not have been paying close enough attention to what they were saying.
Quote:
The camera guy zooming in on the glove to emphasize kinda bugged me for some reason
I liked it when they zoomed on after he saved another rocket shot (high glove side again) on the 2 on 1 after the third goal. That was an awesome save.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Ginu

By far Kostitsyn's best game in 2 years and that includes his hat trick in the playoffs. He was everywhere - back-checking, forechecking, his speed on Plek's goal was what we've wanted from him for years!!! Where the hell has this been? He's playing with so much confidence. He's quiet and he's proving his worth on the ice.

The biggest pluses this season so far have been Kostitsyn, Pouliot actually hitting and Price. Pouliot a bit further down but all three have been great. If only Pouls could put the puck in the net. I think if he gets one he'll get a bunch. He's actually throwing his weight around it's great.

I have to say that I love this team. Two years ago with our old core, there were games where you just knew they didn't have it and you felt their stress and negative emotion. You knew they weren't going to turn it around, it seemed they were too emotional and there was no control. These new guys are amazing. Some games the whole team is just off like anyone else, but these guys never quit. And they come in waves - if it's not Cammy and Kostitsyn hounding you, it's Lapierre and Halpern, or Pouliot and Gionta. When was the last time we outshot a team like 40-15?

I know Cammy didn't score today but I always hated when it always seemed like a player would get his first goal in the NHL, his first goal after a long injury, or a string of 2 or 3 goals against us and you just knew it was going to happen. For 3-4 years it ALWAYS felt that way. Like Spezza and Alfredsson against us a few years ago, you just knew they'd eventually hurt us. Now I feel that way with Cammy and it feels so good to be on the other side of that regularly now. Cammy is a sniper and we've been missing that go-to player for so many years.

We actually beat Buffalo and Ottawa, two teams we regularly struggle against, back to back in two nights without Markov. The guys should be proud. And they're rallying around Price. He deserved that ovation pre-game.

But why is Eller only playing 4:21?!?!

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Habit11

Agree ^^^^^^

I also like the 3 line combos by game end:
AK/PLEK/CAMMY
POULIOT/GOMEZ/GIONTA
MOEN/HALPERN/LAPIERRE

I think they should try Eller at center with Boyd/Pyatt, and see how that goes.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I miss the game happy we win and Kost had a good game I'm happy and drunk

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
Yup, 'cause we all know Ovechkin scores each and every game, like every other goalscorers

Goal scorers are streaky by definition. He still was Cammy. 8 shots on goal and always looking to get the puck closer to the goal. That's what Cammy is to me. He's a human like everybody else. SAying he wasn't himself because "he didn't finish" is simplistic as hell...

As for the rest, crow has never tasted so good as it does right now for Andrei Kostitsyn. The guy actually plays clever hockey out there!
I'm not disappointed he didn't score tonight. I agree, Cammy can't score every game. Scoring one every one of two games is already a big exploit.

That being said, I feel he took some poor shooting decisions. Most of his shots were useless and not much challenging to the keeper. I think he add maybe one good shots, the rest were all easy saves with no traffic (or barely). I felt he killed some plays down by doing that.
Still he had a pretty good game.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:19 AM
THE HOFF

andrei was TERRIBLE early on in the last 3 seasons.... only when it started snowing did andrei started to get his game going...

this year, he is ready ... JM said he arrived more in shape than previous years (physical tests? ) ... and I am slowly starting to believe that the thing is real, and that this is andrei's true breakout year.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
By far Kostitsyn's best game in 2 years and that includes his hat trick in the playoffs. He was everywhere - back-checking, forechecking, his speed on Plek's goal was what we've wanted from him for years!!! Where the hell has this been? He's playing with so much confidence. He's quiet and he's proving his worth on the ice.

The biggest pluses this season so far have been Kostitsyn, Pouliot actually hitting and Price. Pouliot a bit further down but all three have been great. If only Pouls could put the puck in the net. I think if he gets one he'll get a bunch. He's actually throwing his weight around it's great.

I have to say that I love this team. Two years ago with our old core, there were games where you just knew they didn't have it and you felt their stress and negative emotion. You knew they weren't going to turn it around, it seemed they were too emotional and there was no control. These new guys are amazing. Some games the whole team is just off like anyone else, but these guys never quit. And they come in waves - if it's not Cammy and Kostitsyn hounding you, it's Lapierre and Halpern, or Pouliot and Gionta. When was the last time we outshot a team like 40-15?

I know Cammy didn't score today but I always hated when it always seemed like a player would get his first goal in the NHL, his first goal after a long injury, or a string of 2 or 3 goals against us and you just knew it was going to happen. For 3-4 years it ALWAYS felt that way. Like Spezza and Alfredsson against us a few years ago, you just knew they'd eventually hurt us. Now I feel that way with Cammy and it feels so good to be on the other side of that regularly now. Cammy is a sniper and we've been missing that go-to player for so many years.

We actually beat Buffalo and Ottawa, two teams we regularly struggle against, back to back in two nights without Markov. The guys should be proud. And they're rallying around Price. He deserved that ovation pre-game.

But why is Eller only playing 4:21?!?!
That's just Martin's way of helping youngsters.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:27 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
andrei was TERRIBLE early on in the last 3 seasons.... only when it started snowing did andrei started to get his game going...

this year, he is ready ... JM said he arrived more in shape than previous years (physical tests? ) ... and I am slowly starting to believe that the thing is real, and that this is andrei's true breakout year.
You know what's teh best? I like him scoring and making good plays. But I still prefer seeing him playing that way. He's actually useful on the ice even when he's not generating scoring chances.

Give me that level of competitiveness and 50 points +, I'll be happy with Andrei's play. Definitely a good surprise. Probably our best forward so far this season.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:54 AM
The Chef*

Was at the game.

Montreal clearly deserved to win. Good game from you guys.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankEller View Post
Give me that level of competitiveness and 50 points +, I'll be happy with Andrei's play. Definitely a good surprise. Probably our best forward so far this season.
If he keeps going like this throughout the season, I have a hard time seeing him not getting more than 50pts. He could very well crack the 60-70 mark if he keeps playing the way he is. But, we're only 5 games in. He might get injured next game, be out for a month and never come back to the same level.
So, time will tell.