HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Concerns about Malkin

Old
10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Crozbar

vCash: 500
Malkin needs better coaching a different system. Even with that said, I think he has not been too bad so far this year; but the guy is such a morale player, if he doesn't start finding the back of the net soon along with being consistently paired with players he can be confident in, he is going to have another down year. He probably will end up be traded down the line (not this season of course) in that case -- and all in favor of Jordan Staal, a player who has maybe half the potential.

If he ever were to be moved, hopefully it is to somewhere where he will get a chance to shine as the potential 1# center in the league he could be.

(Preferably in the Western conference).

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:43 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Malkin will be fine.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:48 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozbar View Post
Malkin needs better coaching a different system. Even with that said, I think he has not been too bad so far this year; but the guy is such a morale player, if he doesn't start finding the back of the net soon along with being consistently paired with players he can be confident in, he is going to have another down year. He probably will end up be traded down the line (not this season of course) in that case -- and all in favor of Jordan Staal, a player who has maybe half the potential.

If he ever were to be moved, hopefully it is to somewhere where he will get a chance to shine as the potential 1# center in the league he could be.

(Preferably in the Western conference).
I think many of us think Malkin = Jagr.

I don't view it that way at all. I don't think Malkin gives two ***** about being THE GUY, he just does what his coach tells him to do and is okay with it.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:49 PM
mucker*

You guys seem to echo my take.
Watching the first games, Malkin seems to be a non-factor.
I remember him in 2008 when Crosby went down.
I remember him and will always be greatful for what he did winning the Conn Smyth.

He's a shell of himself right now. He does seem to pouting because putting him at wing was NOT for his best interest.
It was done for Staal's best interest and to compensate for the Pens overall poor drafting/developing and signing of wingers.

Malkin has been made the sacrifical lamb.
He needs to have the puck and make plays with it.
Now Oveckin is winger, Jagr was a winger, so I am confused as to why Malkin can't succeed like them at being a puck handling winger, but he is.

I wonder if this is just growing pains or if he doesn't fit and how the long experiment lasts, because right now, compare Malkin to 2008.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
You guys seem to echo my take.
Watching the first games, Malkin seems to be a non-factor.
I remember him in 2008 when Crosby went down.
I remember him and will always be greatful for what he did winning the Conn Smyth.

He's a shell of himself right now. He does seem to pouting because putting him at wing was NOT for his best interest.
It was done for Staal's best interest and to compensate for the Pens overall poor drafting/developing and signing of wingers.

Malkin has been made the sacrifical lamb.
He needs to have the puck and make plays with it.
Now Oveckin is winger, Jagr was a winger, so I am confused as to why Malkin can't succeed like them at being a puck handling winger, but he is.

I wonder if this is just growing pains or if he doesn't fit and how the long experiment lasts, because right now, compare Malkin to 2008.
You are being over dramatic.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:16 PM
mucker*

The guy isn't dominating and scaring teams like he was in 2008.
Somethings up.
Part of it, yes he is pouting.
The other thing I don't get though is why moving him to winger would be a problem, because wingers aren't dependent, they can move, carry, and play with the puck ala Jagr.

Also..why is Malkin on the point on the PP?
Shouldn't he be in high slot by the boards?

Old
10-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
It's such a ridiculous stereotype, but it's really tough to argue against when you see it time and again with some of these guys.

I beg some of you to go back to the Cup run like I mentioned yesterday. Rewatch some of those games if you can, particularly game 3 against Washington, the hat trick game against Carolina, and games 4 and 6 against Detroit.

Besides getting to enjoy some memories, you'll see that when Geno wants, he is better than Sid and it doesn't matter who he plays with.

What you'll also realize is that the line combos were as ****ed as they are now, especially when we dressed 7 D after Gonch got hurt. The only difference is we won the Cup back then, so people are under the impression that TOI was better distributed, which is nonsense. With your own eyes you'll see Geno with Satan and Fedetenko in game 3 against Corolina and dominate. Dupuis and Feds in game 6 versus Detroit and dominate. Each goal in the hat trick game against Carolina was with different linemates.

My point if you actually read this far? Geno didn't give a flying **** who he was playing with, because at that time he believed he was the best player in the world, and he acted like it. He'd gallop up the middle, streak down the left side, fly down the right, winger/center designation be damned. It was his game, his puck and he was only letting the others participate.

I hated Bill Guerin more than anything, but Sid went out there last year and scored 50 goals and 100 points again while carrying him and a broken down Kunitz on his back for much of the year, including round 1 against the Sens. It's up to Geno, who's at least paid as an equal, to do the same.
I think teams adjusted to him playing like that though. It seems like teams are doubling up on him or take him out before he gets into the offensive zone now.

When he was playing for Dave King, he was almost like a rover. He would come back deep into the defensive zone, headman pucks up ice, have his wingers drive back defenders and follow up plays. As a center with the Pens he doesn't really have the wingers to to that.

As a winger I think he's adjusting to a more stop and start game. Plus defenders are using good gap control to get to him while the pass is on its way to him so when he gets the puck he already has a player in his face. He's smart enough and good enough to chip it past the D or make an east/ west play but the center support isn't always there. Maybe thats something that he and Letestu can work on.

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'd say the cap space we are allocating to the goalie riding the pine is more concerning than Malkin's.
It most definitely is. I'd trade Fleury first 10 times out of 10.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Jacob

Quote:
The guy isn't dominating and scaring teams like he was in 2008.
He was pretty dominant in 2009.
Quote:
Somethings up.
Part of it, yes he is pouting.
Oh, so you're in the locker room? How do you know he's 'pouting'? What IS pouting anyway?
Quote:
The other thing I don't get though is why moving him to winger would be a problem, because wingers aren't dependent, they can move, carry, and play with the puck ala Jagr.
Is it really so hard to believe that a player that's played center for most of his career would need some time to adjust to a permanet move to the wing? Really?
Quote:
Also..why is Malkin on the point on the PP?
Shouldn't he be in high slot by the boards?
Now that Gonchar's gone, he's the only guy that can score from that far out without a screen.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:51 PM
mucker*

Oh we disagree.

1) Malkin on the point is stupid. He's a superstar, put HIM where HE is best, down low.
Put Martin/Letang/GoGo on the point. You don't need a hard shot neccessarily from the point with our persennel, just somebody who can make smooth passes and not cough it up.

2) Malkin's demeanor on the ice, he seems to be sulking, looking to be skaing too slow and not "into it" or non-chalent.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Oh we disagree.

1) Malkin on the point is stupid. He's a superstar, put HIM where HE is best, down low.
Put Martin/Letang/GoGo on the point. You don't need a hard shot neccessarily from the point with our persennel, just somebody who can make smooth passes and not cough it up.
Disagree about what? I'm on the one that put Malkin on the point, I'm just telling you why he's there.

Quote:
2) Malkin's demeanor on the ice, he seems to be sulking, looking to be skaing too slow and not "into it" or non-chalent.
His effort and skating has been superior to Crosby's through the first 6 games, for certain.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Oh we disagree.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the bolded part. Are you saying superstars can't or shouldn't play the point? Ovechkin might disagree with you on that point, or Kovalchuk, or any number of guys who regularly play the point on their team's PP.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:00 PM
mucker*

I'm saying he is a superstar...play to HIS strength, which is down low, using his body on the boards and having a closer range shot.

He is better there as opposed to being atop, out of the action, and having to worry about holding the puck in.

To me, Malkin seems like a fish out of water being on the point and on the wing.
I understand him struggling on the point, but center to wing is not a hard transition like wing to center.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:35 PM
zhenyas most fly rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
It's such a ridiculous stereotype, but it's really tough to argue against when you see it time and again with some of these guys.

I beg some of you to go back to the Cup run like I mentioned yesterday. Rewatch some of those games if you can, particularly game 3 against Washington, the hat trick game against Carolina, and games 4 and 6 against Detroit.

Besides getting to enjoy some memories, you'll see that when Geno wants, he is better than Sid and it doesn't matter who he plays with.

What you'll also realize is that the line combos were as ****ed as they are now, especially when we dressed 7 D after Gonch got hurt. The only difference is we won the Cup back then, so people are under the impression that TOI was better distributed, which is nonsense. With your own eyes you'll see Geno with Satan and Fedetenko in game 3 against Corolina and dominate. Dupuis and Feds in game 6 versus Detroit and dominate. Each goal in the hat trick game against Carolina was with different linemates.

My point if you actually read this far? Geno didn't give a flying **** who he was playing with, because at that time he believed he was the best player in the world, and he acted like it. He'd gallop up the middle, streak down the left side, fly down the right, winger/center designation be damned. It was his game, his puck and he was only letting the others participate.

I hated Bill Guerin more than anything, but Sid went out there last year and scored 50 goals and 100 points again while carrying him and a broken down Kunitz on his back for much of the year, including round 1 against the Sens. It's up to Geno, who's at least paid as an equal, to do the same.
That is such a crucial point.

Therrien, despite all his shortcomings as a head coach, understood this. Not only did he knew how to utilize Zhenya appropriately on the ice, but he made him believe he was the best (everybody knows the story about Therrien showing the pictures of the all time greats) and not coincidentaly Zhenya was then playing like the best.

Whereas Therrien seemed to push all the right buttons regarding 71, Bylsma is just doing it all wrong, and it's getting from bad to worse:
Giving him less and less defensive responsabilities(to the point he isn't even getting any PK time), playing him out of position both on Even Strenght and on the PP, stucking him something like 90% of his ES time last year with Fedotenko who looked more like he was playing for the opposing team and finally, he's so far from making him believe he's the best it's not even funny:
By the way Bylsma is handling the team, you would think that even Staal is a more important player to this team than Zhenya is,
thats the type of message Bylsma is sending by putting Zhenya on the wing awaiting for the return of the 'great' center Staal.

As far as Zhenya's year goes, I'm afraid it won't get any better and he's gonna have another down year, until Bylsma and his budies assistants are getting the boot, or Zhenya is traded cause I sure don't see Bylsma figuring a damn thing.

BTW, If Zhenya is paid as an equal to Sid, looks pretty obvious to me that he's far from his equal in the coaches eyes...

zhenyas most fly rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:40 PM
mucker*

Which is exactly my point.

1) Malkin is a shell of the player he was 2 years ago because

2) He is sulking and

3) He is a super star who is being played out of position on the PP and even strength to compensate for our poor drafting of wingers.

Put Malkin back up closer to the net on the PP, and put him at center and put him on the PK...he needs to be on the ice as often as possible like the best players are.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

I still have yet to see an argument that actually makes any sense as to why Geno SHOULDN'T be playing wing. When he's carrying the puck, he still uses every inch of the ice. He even explained in a radio interview that whoever gets back to the D-zone 1st (him or Comrie) is the one who acts as the center in our zone. He stinks at faceoffs. He's a beast at creating turnovers when harassing D-men near the blue line. His line has been the best at even strength by far this season. He will be a superstar no matter where he's playing.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

I'll agree Malkin has a touch of MAF's mentality about him.

He can be an absolute monster, but the thing that's holding him back is his own mind.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 02:47 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I think teams adjusted to him playing like that though. It seems like teams are doubling up on him or take him out before he gets into the offensive zone now.

When he was playing for Dave King, he was almost like a rover. He would come back deep into the defensive zone, headman pucks up ice, have his wingers drive back defenders and follow up plays. As a center with the Pens he doesn't really have the wingers to to that.

As a winger I think he's adjusting to a more stop and start game. Plus defenders are using good gap control to get to him while the pass is on its way to him so when he gets the puck he already has a player in his face. He's smart enough and good enough to chip it past the D or make an east/ west play but the center support isn't always there. Maybe thats something that he and Letestu can work on.
If we're going to isolate any problem with him, its' the fact that the supporting cast sucks for the most part.

But like I stated before, the guy played a WING hybrid during his Conn Smythe run. When you play up high in the defensive zone, YOU'RE the one leading the rush while the backcheckers are behind you on any turnover. You can argue that as a center playing down low and dirty in the defensive zone, you now have 5 defenders to go through on any turnover because the deeper you are, the easier it is for the defenders to back off and clog things up once they lose possession.

If people want to play Devil's advocate for the handful of games at wing this year, then fine. The fact is, injured or not, he played center all of last season and just wasn't himself.

I'll name you one example this year where it's a clear cut case of the kid's head just being up in the clouds sometimes, no matter if he has the wall on the PP or is playing center 5 on 5: His penalty shot against the Leafs. The second he picked the puck up and started skating sloooowly and zigging and zagging, everyone knew that HE knew he wasn't going to score.

All valid coaching criticisms aside, your 8.7M dollar, generational player shouldn't be moping and having zero confidence in himself when he's being given a clear cut breakaway from center ice. No matter what else is going on. There's no excuse for that.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:03 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenyas most fly rep View Post
That is such a crucial point.

Therrien, despite all his shortcomings as a head coach, understood this. Not only did he knew how to utilize Zhenya appropriately on the ice, but he made him believe he was the best (everybody knows the story about Therrien showing the pictures of the all time greats) and not coincidentaly Zhenya was then playing like the best.

Whereas Therrien seemed to push all the right buttons regarding 71, Bylsma is just doing it all wrong, and it's getting from bad to worse:
Giving him less and less defensive responsabilities(to the point he isn't even getting any PK time), playing him out of position both on Even Strenght and on the PP, stucking him something like 90% of his ES time last year with Fedotenko who looked more like he was playing for the opposing team and finally, he's so far from making him believe he's the best it's not even funny:
By the way Bylsma is handling the team, you would think that even Staal is a more important player to this team than Zhenya is,
thats the type of message Bylsma is sending by putting Zhenya on the wing awaiting for the return of the 'great' center Staal.

As far as Zhenya's year goes, I'm afraid it won't get any better and he's gonna have another down year, until Bylsma and his budies assistants are getting the boot, or Zhenya is traded cause I sure don't see Bylsma figuring a damn thing.

BTW, If Zhenya is paid as an equal to Sid, looks pretty obvious to me that he's far from his equal in the coaches eyes...
Thank you for that most unbiased opinion, Zhenya's most fly rep.

Maybe it's the fact that we're only 6 games into the season, Malkin has 27 shots on net (3rd in the league), and has looked great in every game so far, but I'm going to be a little more patient. Crosby finally got his bounces, Malkin will soon and then this thread will look like even more of a joke.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:24 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

People need to calm the hell down.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Thank you for that most unbiased opinion, Zhenya's most fly rep.

Maybe it's the fact that we're only 6 games into the season, Malkin has 27 shots on net (3rd in the league), and has looked great in every game so far, but I'm going to be a little more patient. Crosby finally got his bounces, Malkin will soon and then this thread will look like even more of a joke.
I really, really hate that stuff about Therrien getting the most out of Malkin. Aside from the unverifiable "Bylsma benefited from Therrien's structure and being the anti-Therrien", it is the biggest croc of pigeon **** you can imagine.

I remember Geno being put on the left point once Hossa came in, under Therrien mind you, so there goes that myth.

Geno also pulled a vanishing act after game 2 against the Flyers in '08, and it lasted beyond the Final. I understand he wasn't feeling well, but it is what it is. This was also under Therrien.

And my favorite is the 2 or 3 month stretch under Therrien - when Sid got hurt. Really? Your best player goes down, Staal finishes the season with 12 goals, and it was some stroke of genius that Geno become Therrien's go-to guy? Wow, what a novel concept. Your best player goes down (Sid), so you let your second best player (Geno) get all the reps

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Phil68

Wait let's trade Malkin for toews... Hmmm That doesn't seem right cause Malkin is better then Toews at his worse... Ok Late's Trade Malkin for Backstrom... Hmmmm Again doesn't seem right there... If Malkin would played all 82 games last year he was on pace to put up the same numbers as Backstrom on his bad year.. Wait Let's trade Malkin for Patrick Kane... Oh Yeah Malkin is better on both end of the ice then Kane is and still puts up more points then Kane... Wait how about we trade Malkin or Kovalchuck... OH yeah Malkin is still better then all these other players in the NHL... Hmmm Maybe we just should reduce his salary after his contract is up to 6.5 Million... Hmmm Odd he is way better then any other player in the nhl today making 6.5.

Quote me when i say this... We trade Malkin away for 2 or 3 players, the Pens will not win or even get out of the first round in another 5-6 years just to simply to fit the right pieces. I think the problem is the pens are trying to accomodate a player in Jordan Staal who simply hasn't even at any point in his career broke 60 points.. Although came close to 30 goals once.... Wait wait oh yeah due to Malkin when Staal was at his wing!!.... Hmmmmm

Phil68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:53 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
It's absolutely insane to have Malkin on the wing. It makes me sick to my stomach.
this X a bagillion

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:00 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
I really do not see anything different in the way Malkin is playing 'now that he is on the wing' to when he was 'playing the center position'. He is not taking as many FO's but other than that he seems to be the one controlling play with his line, which is the way it should be.

Could someone who understands the game more than me explain to me what he is doing differently now that 'he is on the wing'. This is a serious question!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGOgadgetGuinos View Post
I still have yet to see an argument that actually makes any sense as to why Geno SHOULDN'T be playing wing. When he's carrying the puck, he still uses every inch of the ice. He even explained in a radio interview that whoever gets back to the D-zone 1st (him or Comrie) is the one who acts as the center in our zone. He stinks at faceoffs. He's a beast at creating turnovers when harassing D-men near the blue line. His line has been the best at even strength by far this season. He will be a superstar no matter where he's playing.
I am still waiting as well for an answer to that question.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Vos

I think to be fair to the Russian players, they don't grow up dreaming of hoisting the Stanley Cup, they grow up dreaming of getting paid a ton of money. Once they get that payday, they tend not to play as dominate a game as they are capable. I think OV and Geno are starting to buck that trend and nobody could accuse Datsuyk of floating.

Malkin has been fine so far, he just needs to get his shot on net. I agree with previous posts that we are paying $5mil for a backup goalie, but that worked for Chicago last year.

Vos is offline   Reply With Quote