HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to change up the line combos?

Old
10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Ewww. For the love of god, please call up someone with offensive talent to play the 9th.
This is the issue that Laviolette faces, he has basically 8 guys who could earn top 6 minutes. So a choice to change it up a little and get a line for Richards to focus more on his game and not trying to do more than he really can. His offense, besides PP time, comes from his solid defense and his work in all three zones. When he gets with guys who like to play fancy he tries to do things that do not suit his game. Richards should have a very simple philosophy....KISS, keep it simple stupid.

Powe is a reliable two way guy, he is not going to bring much offense but he hits and can play defense. He is also good at going to the net. Hartnell...........sideshow Bob needs to look back at his play in the later rounds of the playoffs and take some cues.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:10 AM
McNasty

Carcillo-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Hartnell
Leino-Briere-Zherdev

Thats the top 9 I would roll with. If Carcillo has to be in the top 9, Richards and Giroux make sense because they are good enough passers to hit Carcillo if he's open, Carter passes it so hard that it just bounces off Carcillo's stick. I think Hartnell is struggling right now so hopefully putting him with JVR and Carter who put the puck to the net he can be most effective with those two. The 3rd line forms pretty much out of necessity but I still think that they could be a working Trio.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:14 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Powe is a reliable two way guy, he is not going to bring much offense but he hits and can play defense. He is also good at going to the net. Hartnell...........sideshow Bob needs to look back at his play in the later rounds of the playoffs and take some cues.
But Powe and Hartnell on the same line? And you're sticking them with Richards?

Hartnell is decent, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Carcillo-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Hartnell
Leino-Briere-Zherdev

Thats the top 9 I would roll with. If Carcillo has to be in the top 9, Richards and Giroux make sense because they are good enough passers to hit Carcillo if he's open, Carter passes it so hard that it just bounces off Carcillo's stick. I think Hartnell is struggling right now so hopefully putting him with JVR and Carter who put the puck to the net he can be most effective with those two. The 3rd line forms pretty much out of necessity but I still think that they could be a working Trio.
Same issue sort of.

Hartnell and JVR fill the same role in a sense. Why stick them on the same line?

Leino - Briere - Zherdev is too much skill without anyone going to the net. And on line two, you have too many net crashes.

Players need to fill specific roles.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
A few points.

1) It's not just that Carter and Richards suck together, it's that they're both our best ES players by far (the next best might be JVR) and this is rendering them both completely ineffective.
WTF are you talking about? As your best players they should excel at getting the chance to play together.

Quote:
2) The whole "Giroux is more productive at C" thing HAS to stop. I mean, his last 20 regular games at C, he has 4 ES points which is a pittance for such a talented player. 5 games at C this year with legit talent, he has 1 point and the chances haven't exactly been plentiful. It doesn't work offensively and he certainly doesn't work defensively. If Giroux OR Briere costs us goals, we might be able to deal with it, but we can't when they BOTH are.
Giroux is the best palyer on the team with the puck on his stick, period. Better than Carter, Richards, Briere, Zherdev, or Briere. If Zherdev could show up at some point maybe things would light up....and as far as the defensively, he is even for the season and has two shorties, so he is not getting, but Carter and Richards(supposedly your "best" players) are a -3 and -2 respectively.

Quote:
3) I said this last night, but I am vehemently opposed to putting Richards with Zherdev. Zherdev screws up from a number of angles, but I certainly do not want our best defensive forward saddled with the laziest player on our roster when he's going up against Crosby, Kovalchuk, and Gaborik.

Zherdev is the piece of the puzzle that could make Homer look like a total joke of a GM, giving up Gagne to bulk up the defense and bringing in Zherdev when it is TEAM defense that wins games and the ability to handle good minutes in Laviolette's style of play. Gagne is prone to injury, but when healthy he is a much better player than Zherdev and would fit nice on a wing with JvR and Richards...!

Old
10-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
But Powe and Hartnell on the same line? And you're sticking them with Richards?

Hartnell is decent, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Same issue sort of.

Hartnell and JVR fill the same role in a sense. Why stick them on the same line?

Leino - Briere - Zherdev is too much skill without anyone going to the net. And on line two, you have too many net crashes.

Players need to fill specific roles.

I am going to use this exact wording to fill out the line and why those two players are in those spots. On this roster you have no choice, either you try and match guys and hope they can play up to the level of the other linemates or you attempt to figure out some roles for each line. I changed it up to give two different looks.

Powe-Richards-Hartnell: Does not need to be coutned on for scoring, but can play and chip in a couple goals here and there. Get the puck deep and force the cycle by hitting d-men and creating turnovers. Richards is captain of this ship, he needs to fill whatever role is requested, if it means he has to focus on the PP and PK time he gets to help the team then so be it, you do what the team needs. Being that he is also the best defensive center they have putting him with two guys who can play their zone is fine.

Powe-Carter-Hartnell: It is what it is, let Carter free-wheel and do what he wants. Jeff here is the rope, what are you going to do with it. Powe and Hartnell will just be window dressings, but I guess this is what Jeff Carter needs to score some goals, because playing with some talent certainly does not help him.

Old
10-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I am almost ready to throw Bartulis up there, being a former winger and all!
Hey Maroon is playing like a ppg player in the AHL, just sayin' .

Old
10-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Hey Maroon is playing like a ppg player in the AHL, just sayin' .
Woot! He could be a real NHLer or he could be Peter White 2.0.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Woot! He could be a real NHLer or he could be Peter White 2.0.
Completely different types of players playing in two completely different eras of hockey.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Completely different types of players playing in two completely different eras of hockey.
Point taken, but there are still men in the A that cannot translate their success there into NHL success.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:32 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Point taken, but there are still men in the A that cannot translate their success there into NHL success.
Matsumoto? There's a solid example.

I'm sure with him.

As for Maroon, he's got all the tools except his skating is a little behind the rest of the pack. Even that's nowhere near as bad as it once was. For his role and position that shouldn't hamper him too much.

He could bust, but I think he's got what it takes to be a solid NHL player.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Totally disagree about moving Giroux on a wing with Carter. I am even skeptical of putting JvR there, but it may give Carter someone who will actually go in along the boards and fight for a puck or two.....I guess maybe the best possibility could be this now that I think about it.....:
Of course you disagree. If it was someone else I would at least read it but since it's you, I do not give a ****. Really.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:

I'm sure with him.

As for Maroon, he's got all the tools except his skating is a little behind the rest of the pack. Even that's nowhere near as bad as it once was. For his role and position that shouldn't hamper him too much.

I hope so. I'm disappointed in his camp. Were he able to impress Lava, etc. he'd have gotten his way into more preseason games.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Of course you disagree. If it was someone else I would at least read it but since it's you, I do not give a ****. Really.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
CptCannon

Or...

Maroon came to the camp unprepared. Staff didn't give him much of a chance to show his skills in the games due to that. Told him to shape the **** up, he did heed the advice and now's playing his ass off.

Huh?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Or...

Maroon came to the camp unprepared. Staff didn't give him much of a chance to show his skills in the games due to that. Told him to shape the **** up, he did heed the advice and now's playing his ass off.

Huh?
If this is the case, good. I'm just not prepared to say he's NHL ready until he gets the chance and makes an impact.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

I'm sure with him.

Matsumoto and Maroon are pretty much AHL lifers, show some signs to possess the ability but not enough to make the big club. The only legit prospects this team has is on defense, otherwise they are mostly all guys with "potential". I like what Holmstrom showed but again, at most he is a 3rd or 4th line player on most teams.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Jester

Hopefully Maroon's early surge is a sign that he's back on track... as last year was quite disappointing. I don't think he's going to be a big assist guy of any sort at the NHL level, so he needs to display that he can finish some chances in and around the net.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 11:31 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Matsumoto and Maroon are pretty much AHL lifers, show some signs to possess the ability but not enough to make the big club. The only legit prospects this team has is on defense, otherwise they are mostly all guys with "potential".
Go ahead and prove that.

Quote:
I like what Holmstrom showed but again, at most he is a 3rd or 4th line player on most teams.
Really? Maroon's shown a lot more than Holmstrom. Maroon's a year younger too.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Or...

Huh?
Matsumoto was given his chance last season to make one last effort to show he belonged, he failed. Maroon is being given one last chance this season, but it will be in the AHL.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hopefully Maroon's early surge is a sign that he's back on track... as last year was quite disappointing. I don't think he's going to be a big assist guy of any sort at the NHL level, so he needs to display that he can finish some chances in and around the net.
His assists could be like Carter's: rebound goals off his initial shots.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Go ahead and prove that.

Really? Maroon's shown a lot more than Holmstrom. Maroon's a year younger too.
Maroon has "potential" but his inability to take his game to the next level is keeping him from making a push to get big club minutes. At this point he is on the depth chart for callups but unless it is going to be on a line where he can be used I doubt he gets any NHL minutes this year and a chance to make the roster next year. The kid is wildly inconsistent in the minors, at least with Holmstrom you know you are getting nothing special.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
His assists could be like Carter's: rebound goals off his initial shots.
You have to hit the net to get rebounds, ahem.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Maroon has "potential" but his inability to take his game to the next level is keeping him from making a push to get big club minutes.
His inability to take his game to the next level (become a NHL regular) is because he hasn't been given the opportunity to take his game to the next level (become an NHL regular)?

So if he hasn't gotten a shot, but in your mind he's busted already?

So he failed the test before he took it?

Maroon's had one bad year in the AHL filled with injuries. Let's see what the rest of the season brings. No need to throw him under the bus right now.

Quote:
At this point he is on the depth chart for callups but unless it is going to be on a line where he can be used I doubt he gets any NHL minutes this year and a chance to make the roster next year. The kid is wildly inconsistent in the minors, at least with Holmstrom you know you are getting nothing special.
Maroon's physicality and forechecking might make him better as a fourth liner than Holmstrom...

He's also pretty quick to drop the gloves to defend his teammates.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
You have to hit the net to get rebounds, ahem.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
His inability to take his game to the next level (become a NHL regular) is because he hasn't been given the opportunity to take his game to the next level (become an NHL regular)?

So if he hasn't gotten a shot, but in your mind he's busted already?

So he failed the test before he took it?

Maroon's had one bad year in the AHL filled with injuries. Let's see what the rest of the season brings. No need to throw him under the bus right now.

Maroon's physicality and forechecking might make him better as a fourth liner than Holmstrom...

He's also pretty quick to drop the gloves to defend his teammates.
Meh, on the 4th line I would take Holmstrom in a minute over Maroon. Maroon's skating inability will hurt him to play on the 4th line. Holmstrom has some solid defensive play with some offensive potential so he would make sense on the 4th line. Now on the top 9, Maroon would look alot better.

That being said, Maroon had one bad season, due to him being injured most of the time. He is still young, only 22, so I am willing to still give him a chance. He was solid in juniors, had a solid rookie season in the AHL, followed by an average 2nd season. He looks like he is finally back on track. If he can keep on working to get his skating better, he can be a very good player. He has the skill.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote