HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyle playing injured? Regressing? Or was it just a bad game?

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2010, 12:04 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

vCash: 500
Boyle playing injured? Regressing? Or was it just a bad game?

Boyle was probably our worst player out there last game. He wasn't nearly that bad in Europe, which leads me to believe he may have been playing injured. This was also the worst game Boyle has played for the Sharks in his time in SJ. (According to those who have been watching since he was acquired.)

In the off-season, FTF did a study which showed that Boyle's defense had gotten much worse (Corsi stats or something like that IIRC), and that his production had stayed virtually the same despite his TOI/G going up by 2 minutes per game.

He's currently at age 34. The idea of him regressing is very realistic.

I didn't watch the games in 08-09, so would some people fill me in as to whether he was better in 08-09 or 09-10 and how significant the margin between his play was?

Old
10-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
You are going to get facepalmed so hard for this "speculation"

Old
10-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Clutchy View Post
Boyle was probably our worst player out there last game. He wasn't nearly that bad in Europe, which leads me to believe he may have been playing injured. This was also the worst game Boyle has played for the Sharks in his time in SJ. (According to those who have been watching since he was acquired.)

In the off-season, FTF did a study which showed that Boyle's defense had gotten much worse (Corsi stats or something like that IIRC), and that his production had stayed virtually the same despite his TOI/G going up by 2 minutes per game.

I didn't watch the games in 08-09, so would some people fill me in as to whether he was better in 08-09 or 09-10 and how significant the margin between his play was?
Or perhaps he just had a bad game?

Old
10-17-2010, 12:39 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Really?

Really?

I...come on, really?

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 75 GP, 23-38-14 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
10-17-2010, 12:47 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Really?

Really?

I...come on, really?
Apparently really

Old
10-17-2010, 12:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1233
Just a bad game. Make that a really bad game. But I think that he's entitled to one of those, especially if it's at the beginning of the year, considering how amazing he's been for us in the past 2 years.

In other news, Marleau had a really bad game also! Maybe we should make a thread about him regressing too.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Minicoop831

Are you serious? Three games into the year? Stop wasting server space

Old
10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicoop831 View Post
Are you serious? Three games into the year? Stop wasting server space
This (And the fact I was tired last night and didn't feel like posting) was why I didn't want to talk much about this game. It's three games into the year, and it's a long season. I fully expect things to turn around.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:15 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

He had a weak game. Happens.

Nothing to see here. You can all go about your business. This wasn't the thread you were looking for. Move along.

10-17-2010, 01:18 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

He's in a position where he's trying to carry the defense on his shoulders. He has to be Dan Blake-Boyle this year.
You know there's a defensive problem when Dan Boyle is doing all the shot blocking.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:24 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

I have a feeling were gonna see more of these if he keeps playing 30 mins or so a night.

But honestly, tonight was probably rust from having not played in 6 days.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Mhoogasian94123

I was there last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Clutchy View Post

The whole team pretty much sucked last night. How does a team have a 2-0 lead fall so flat like they did. When Dustin B scored that PP goal it was like watching him in Chicago in the playoffs. You could see he was going to score because he got such an open shot. That was a problem the ENTIRE game. How many times did the puck trickle past Niemi to a wide open spot and nearly get tapped in? I thought it was nearly 6-8 times. Some were covered or cleared out by our guys but that's just bad D. Mason looked almost like Brodeur. How does a guy get owned in St Louis last year look so good this year? We should have beaten them. There were a couple of near tip ins by Pavs that should have gone in. I think they're still stinking from the European tour. I bet we'll be fine but that was a pathetic game. I hope DW knows what he's doing or SJ Sharkie might be our next GM (Joking. Only joking.)

Old
10-17-2010, 01:41 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

C'mon....seriously? He had an off night.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

Boyle is a pylon now, lets trade him for Kaberle while we still can.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:58 PM
SactoShork
SYMSL

vCash: 3000
Boyle had more than an off night. He was directly responsible for all 4 goals. He was atrocious.

That said... the guy is one of a handful of premier defensemen in the league. As we all saw with him in the Avs series... this isn't going to carry over into consecutive games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
Mason looked almost like Brodeur. How does a guy get owned in St Louis last year look so good this year?
Mason carried STL. They played awful all season long and narrowly missed the playoffs.

Rule of thumb when looking for a goaltender in the offseason... when in doubt, get a Preds goalie. (Especially if there are two to choose from, and they're both cheaper than the other options.)

Old
10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

I was going to read OP's post then I saw who wrote it. Goddammit Clutchy you need to calm the hell down. One game isn't signs of massive regression. The same way Eric Staal having to do all the offense by himself and getting less points than he did in the highest scoring year post lockout isn't massive regression.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:04 PM
nbbyfan20

Really, Clutchy? You said Thornton is regressing. Now Boyle? Just a bad game, he'll be better on Tuesday.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:07 PM
sonny side up

Did you call no-trade-backs? If not, we will trade you Randy Jones because he was our worst player on ice in yesterdays game.. I figured it would be an even trade, your worst for our worst...

please, can we have him back? I'll even throw in a bag of pucks too

Old
10-17-2010, 02:08 PM
parad0x
YOWZA!

Off night, kinda sucks when you haven't played over a week where the game was in a different continent.

C'mon -__-

Old
10-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Lockout Season

Clutchy, you have a future in daytime television...

Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammaaaaaaa.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Rickety Cricket

If he continues to play bad for a month or so then maybe we can speculate, but I'm chalking this one up as a bad game.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:23 PM
triplea112

I'm gonna go with off-night, but it's gonna be interesting to watch going forward. With the team's failure to improve its defense, there's a lot of pressure on the competent defencemen currently on the team.

after the colorado and chicago series last year, teams know to attack us with a heavy forecheck. we have to find a way to adjust.

also, if the defence continues to struggle to skate the puck out of the zone properly, then the forwards, as great as they may be, will continue to struggle to score. we can blame the line combos or blame particular players of floating, but in reality, the defence is the real problem with our lack of 5v5 offense (1 goal in 3 games now?).

here's hoping for a good bounce back game on tuesday. don't want 3 straight losses.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:25 PM
OrrNumber4

I thought it was obvious that Boyle is playing with knee/ankle issues (more the latter than the former)...

Old
10-17-2010, 02:29 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I thought it was obvious that Boyle is playing with knee/ankle issues (more the latter than the former)...
That could be the case, he went down awkward early in the game and looked like he was in a little bit of discomfort. I wouldn't be suprised if something was nagging him the whole night.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
Did you call no-trade-backs? If not, we will trade you Randy Jones because he was our worst player on ice in yesterdays game.. I figured it would be an even trade, your worst for our worst...

please, can we have him back? I'll even throw in a bag of pucks too
Go on...What kind of pucks are we talking here?

Closed Thread