HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Marc-Andre Fleury is Donovan McNabb

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Marc-Andre Fleury is Donovan McNabb

Link here. Read away.

Just my thoughts on Fleury summed up as best I could without getting into the true depth of everything. I found a lot of similarities between the two, though.

Sorry for the spam, but I'm curious as to hear your collective input.

Last edited by shureshot66: 10-17-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: link removed -- advertising.
Old
10-17-2010, 07:06 PM
nwpensfan

Biggest difference between the two is that MAF did win a SC. The problem that is becoming more evident, especially in the Cap Era, is the $5M price tag on a contract length that is one year longer than Crosby. That along with success of other teams with no real franchise Goalie puts MAF in a tough spot.

Edited.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:18 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
That along with success of other teams with no real franchise Goalie puts MAF in a tough spot.
Yeah, for the past year. Lets see how many more times goalies of the Leighton calibre get back to the finals. (The jury is still out on how good Niemi is)

Old
10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
MtlPenFan

There are some valid points there, and while the sports are different, their positions are the most important to their respective sports, and the most easily scrutinized.

The difference I think is that McNabb's been a pro much longer than Fleury has, and as his body's broken down, he's stopped relying on his legs as much and has become more of a passer, even though he still has the ability to scramble to get himself out of trouble. You could argue that over time, he's "matured" at his position.

The problem here is, I don't think McNabb's every really regressed. You'll remember for a long time, before T.O. became an Eagle, they were going to NFC championship games every year without any real receivers to speak of. It was basically him and Westbrook on offense, who was more an all purpose back and not much of an in-between the tackles type of runner.

Without looking it up, name me one receiver before Owens. In other words, whether you loved McNabb or hated him, you could easily argue that the Eagles went as far as they often did mostly because of McNabb (and an always solid defense)

We don't win the Cup without Fleury, especially when you look back on games 6 and 7 of the Final. This is irrefutable. But earlier in that playoff run, the team often bailed him out of his own messes, and that Championship was as clear cut a "team" effort as there ever was. With Crosby and Malkin often carrying the load, I don't think you can ever argue that Fleury has ever really carried this team the way McNabb did the Eagles.

The Gomez goal was awful, but it only infuriated me more because of the same old same old the rest of the game: namely kicking out rebounds on weak shots along the ice, and continually messing up with his stickhandling.

Weak goals happen, and if you want to play Devil's Advocate you can attribute them to bad luck, screens, etc. etc. I don't even know if that's something you can tangibly work on, BUT what you can work on and get better at is rebound control and your decision making behind the net. EVERY time I see him make the same mistake over and over again, I wonder what his value truly is when it seems that after so many years in the league, he seems to have gotten worse at fundamentals.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The biggest problem here is that McNabb would get his teams within sniffing distance of glory...and then couldn't get past that.

Fleury, aside from last year, has been glorious in the playoffs and played a huge role in winning the Cup. He has a ring, and he got it in his early 20s. McNabb only has one Super Bowl appearance, a loss, on his resume.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Fleury, aside from last year, has been glorious in the playoffs and played a huge role in winning the Cup. He has a ring, and he got it in his early 20s. McNabb only has one Super Bowl appearance, a loss, on his resume.
Wait.....you mean Fleury's career is longer then last year and the 3 games he's played this year?

Old
10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Dylonus

I won't lie. I read this title and laughed hysterically.

Even after reading the article, I see no real point in this blog.

McNabb was all the Eagles really had (for the most part) for all that time he choked, and he wasn't clutch at all, and never has been.

Fleury on the other hand wasn't all we had, but when it mattered (SCF) he DID come through (game 5 of 08, and game 6 and 7 of 2009)

I can't imagine how you can even compare them like this.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The biggest problem here is that McNabb would get his teams within sniffing distance of glory...and then couldn't get past that.

Plus he has what, 4 NFC championship game loses?

Old
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I can't imagine how you can even compare them like this.
The way they've been treated to what they've meant to their teams are identical. Which was pretty much the entire point of it. Which everyone else seemed to get.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:41 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Yeah, for the past year. Lets see how many more times goalies of the Leighton calibre get back to the finals. (The jury is still out on how good Niemi is)
Look at the Detroit's success as well but your point is a good one. The bigger point I was trying to make was that the $5M price tag is going to put him under the microscope much the same as McNabb. I just think in the cap era w/the way games are more wide open it seems the Goalie position will not be valued at that price tag in the future.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
SomeDude

The biggest, and perhaps only, similarity I see between the two is that their detractors are very vocal, but a minority of the fan base.

I know dozens of Eagles fans and I can't think of a single one that was actually happy to see McNabb go.

Same as I know countless Pens fans...and while I don't want to categorize anyone here...the only ones that complain and blame Fleury for all the Pens woe's like some people on this board do, are the ones that just started caring when Sid came around and/or do not possess what I would consider to be a strong knowledge/understanding of the game.

Old
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
The way they've been treated to what they've meant to their teams are identical. Which was pretty much the entire point of it. Which everyone else seemed to get.
It doesn't seem too similar to me though. They kept depending on McNabb. We've practically given up on Fleury.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM

So Fleury is going to be the Caps goalie?

Old
10-17-2010, 08:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Did I miss when Fleury puked on the playing surface?

Twice?

Old
10-17-2010, 08:08 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Twice?
Is this a literal comment?

Old
10-17-2010, 08:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by sEmowashere View Post
Is this a literal comment?
It was a joke. McNabb has twice puked during games, and both of them were in Jacksonville.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:12 PM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

Quote:
It was a joke. McNabb has twice puked during games, and both of them were in Jacksonville.
Ohh. I hate football it's too slow and boring for me.

I was hoping it was true about Fluery. I tried finding a YT after posting my first comment. I figured that would be hilarious.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusShero8771 View Post
So Fleury is going to be the Caps goalie?
Well played sir

Old
10-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Crozbar

I know it's more how they have been treated versus the success they seemingly brought, but it is a little hard to push the analogy, because in each case the team matters too, right?

Also the QB can make up for some bone headed plays (or a certain lack of vision) by making a few outstanding plays in return. A goalie can't exactly make up for bad goals with a few nice saves ...

Basically, Fleury has the cup run going for him; he's not going to convince anyone he's a good goaltender right now, however, by making a few very acrobatic saves. He has got to put up solid numbers and start stealing a few games.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:32 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozbar View Post
he's not going to convince anyone he's a good goaltender right now
Except for those who never thought he wasn't a good goaltender.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:35 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think an interesting question would be - What does Fleury make in his next contract? Would he actually make more than 5M??

Old
10-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Crozbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Except for those who never thought he wasn't a good goaltender.
Fleury can be a very good goaltender, but I don't think he was anything special last year ... and he hasn't brought it in any of his games so far this year either. I'm not exactly in the anti-Fleury camp, but basically I'm hoping that a little competition from Johnson will go a long ways towards waking him up.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Quote:

Twice?
Someone somewhere would post a Clink Malarchuk photo, but I'm not that person.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Biggest difference between the two is that MAF did win a SC. The problem that is becoming more evident, especially in the Cap Era, is the $5M price tag on a contract length that is one year longer than Crosby. That along with success of other teams with no real franchise Goalie puts MAF in a tough spot.

Edited.
The biggest difference is McNabb is actually a good QB. MAF is not a good goalie, he just isn't even when we won the cup. That season was the begining of my hate for him, I knew it then and I sure as hell know it know.

Old
10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:

Twice?
For some reason, this made me think of Neil Little...

Closed Thread