HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The oh-so-underrrated 2014 Draft

Old
11-18-2014, 11:35 AM
zeke
#freewilly

vCash: 500
The oh-so-underrrated 2014 Draft

Shocking how underrated this draft was coming in, and it's no surprise to me at least that it's already proving to be a great class.

The criticism of this draft was a lack of elite talent at the top, and that's proving to be completely false.

Ekblad is already an absolute stud, and looks like the best #1 pick since at least Hall/Tavares, maybe longer.

Reinhart is demolishing the CHL, putting up 2.5ppg, more impressive than most any recent top prospect from supposedly better drafts.

Nylander is demolishing the SHL at an unprecedented rate.

Draisatl is more than holding his own in the NHL. Fiala is ppg in the SHL, DalColle is near 2ppg in the CHL, Ehlers at 1.5ppg. Bennett and Perlini are injured but would probably be dominating in a similar manner as these guys.

I couldn't figure out why everyone was doubting the elite talent in this draft coming into the draft, and I'm only more puzzled now.

This might be the most underrated draft ever.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Scarecrow Boat

There's only been 42 NHL games played from the draft so far. Settle

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 11:54 AM
zeke
#freewilly

meh, I said it before the draft, so their performance so far this year is no real surprise.

Old
11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Seems like the recent draft is always underrated and the upcoming draft is always overrated.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Sypher04

Not knocking the kid, but Sam Reinhart has only played 4 games.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:08 PM
nik-

How is Draisaitl "more than holding his own" ? He shouldn't even still be in the NHL, I feel bad for him.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
Sam Reinhart has played 4 games.
but he has 10 points in those 4 games!!! It's not like we should expect a lot of points from a 19 year old playing in the WHL after being the 2nd overall pick.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:11 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Shocking how underrated this draft was coming in, and it's no surprise to me at least that it's already proving to be a great class.

The criticism of this draft was a lack of elite talent at the top, and that's proving to be completely false.

Ekblad is already an absolute stud, and looks like the best #1 pick since at least Hall/Tavares, maybe longer.

Reinhart is demolishing the CHL, putting up 2.5ppg, more impressive than most any recent top prospect from supposedly better drafts.

Nylander is demolishing the SHL at an unprecedented rate.

Draisatl is more than holding his own in the NHL. Fiala is ppg in the SHL, DalColle is near 2ppg in the CHL, Ehlers at 1.5ppg. Bennett and Perlini are injured but would probably be dominating in a similar manner as these guys.

I couldn't figure out why everyone was doubting the elite talent in this draft coming into the draft, and I'm only more puzzled now.

wow calm down there son

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Roof Daddy

It had the misfortune of being sandwiched between two really strong drafts. But outside of Ekblad, no ones really killing it. The top end of the draft is still what I'd call an average draft. The fact it was referred to as a weak draft was really more an indication of lack of depth. Solid 2nd rd, then really drops off from 3-7.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:15 PM
JoeCool16

Draisaitl isn't doing that well. He's keeping his head above water but getting very sheltered minutes. His linemates aren't entirely terrible either, but he hasn't put up many points. He's doing alright, but he's really only up because we have no other options at C right now, given that our #2C is already a guy that's probably going to be a career AHLer.

Ekblad is definitely looking good, I'll give you that. For the rest, players often dominate after their draft in the CHL, don't they?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:18 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
wow calm down there son
A lot of overexcitement in that first post.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Draisaitl isn't doing that well. He's keeping his head above water but getting very sheltered minutes. His linemates aren't entirely terrible either, but he hasn't put up many points. He's doing alright, but he's really only up because we have no other options at C right now, given that our #2C is already a guy that's probably going to be a career AHLer.

Ekblad is definitely looking good, I'll give you that. For the rest, players often dominate after their draft in the CHL, don't they?
I don't mind Draisaitl actually. He only has 3 less points than Taylor Hall had in his first 18 games, and Hall was playing like 6-7 min more each game. I do agree though that I would have preferred to get an experienced center and let Draisaitl wait one more year to break in. Either way though I like how he has looked so far defensively, and the offense will come eventually if he keeps going to the net like he has been.

Karsa Orlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post

It's not all that uncommon. I find what Nylander and Fiala are doing in the SHL more impressive than Dal Colle and Reinhart in the CHL. But, they are all looking good.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Beesfan

The middle of the first round into the second round seems to be stronger than usual. In addition to the guys mentioned in the first post Pastrnak, Vrana, Scherbak, Barbashev and Ho-Sang are all looking like potential impact NHL players.

In my experience, it is unusual for 15-20 guys taken in the first two rounds to exceed expectations in their post-draft year.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
I don't mind Draisaitl actually. He only has 3 less points than Taylor Hall had in his first 18 games, and Hall was playing like 6-7 min more each game. I do agree though that I would have preferred to get an experienced center and let Draisaitl wait one more year to break in. Either way though I like how he has looked so far defensively, and the offense will come eventually if he keeps going to the net like he has been.
I agree, and defensively he is looking good and not out of place. Not sure what hed learn in the WHL besides better skating. He already put up 106 with bad linemates. I would like to see him in the AHL or SEL tho to play against men.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:30 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
It had the misfortune of being sandwiched between two really strong drafts. But outside of Ekblad, no ones really killing it. The top end of the draft is still what I'd call an average draft. The fact it was referred to as a weak draft was really more an indication of lack of depth. Solid 2nd rd, then really drops off from 3-7.
this is the point - I'd this draft is already looking better than last the previous year's "really strong" draft, even though Nylander/Fiala were sent back to europe while Lindholm/Nichushkin were given 3rd line roles straight out of the draft.

Old
11-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Reinhart

I think this draft class was underrated - at least for the top-end talent. I think it was an average draft and will be looked back upon as such. Definitely not a 'poor draft class' at all.

Just happened to be stuck between 2 very good drafts that were not only deep, but had exceptional top-end talent.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 12:48 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Shocking how underrated this draft was coming in,

Please provide statistics & advanced #'s to prove your argument.

Thanks,

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 01:27 PM
biturbo19

Somehow in the process of getting super hyped up about how well a bunch of the top players are performing in Jrs, etc., i think you kinda missed the plot.

These guys from the top end of the draft this year are all back in their respective developmental leagues. There's 1 guy in the NHL, and another guy who is there because Oilers, but arguably shouldn't be. Previous years with good "elite talent" at the top, you see these guys make the jump immediately. The fact that a 2nd overall draftee is "lighting up" the CHL is an anomaly, not because other elite talents haven't had that ability...but because they haven't had that opportunity (due to being in the NHL already).

That said, 2014 was a very good draft outside of the elite talent. And i think most knowledgeable and attentive teams/analysts/posters were suggesting as much leading up to the draft. The strength of that draft was in the depth...it could well be a draft that produces a huge number of quality NHLers. But it may not produce an absolutely face of the franchise superstar from the very tippy top.

Nothing on that front has changed.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 01:30 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
The only one who has shown anything so far is Ekblad. It still a weak draft IMO.

11-18-2014, 01:31 PM
Zdeno33Lucic
BruWins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
How is Draisaitl "more than holding his own" ? He shouldn't even still be in the NHL, I feel bad for him.
you feel bad for him?

im sure he feels more bad about your situation lmao

Zdeno33Lucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Seems like the recent draft is always underrated and the upcoming draft is always overrated.
People say that every time, but 2014 was very clearly talked about as a draft with a weak top end and a fairly shallow talent pool. This was for at least a year leading up to the draft.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 02:16 PM
StrongIslanders90

Its still early. That being said, 2015 has been so hyped that it has over shadowed the last couple of drafts.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 02:22 PM
topchowda

It was a solid draft, but I have yet to see a people with star potential. Ekblad is approaching that (potential wise), but the others will likely be good 1st liners. I do not see a Tavares/Stamkos/Hall/Hedman/Seguin in them.

I think the 2013 draft will crush the 2014 draft by a good margin and will actually rival 2015. The 2013 top 10, and even top 15 have numerous guys with elite potential

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Somewhat agree with the OP.

This draft should never have been called weak. Even Pronman had said that it wasn't very top heavy but this is one of those drafts that could have a lot of sleepers.

Guys like Nylander, Fabbri, Fiala, Ho-Sang, Barbashev etc..

Tons of skill in this draft.

As for Draisaitl holding his own. He isn't drowning but he isn't excelling either. Ideally the AHL would be perfect for him and I don't think sending him to WHL would have helped much either.

Similar to Lindholm in Carolina last year. Except Draisaitl plays for the Oilers so he will always be criticized.

Aceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote