HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
  #376
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
I see Semin 6 times a year in the SE division.

I'm not arguing they aren't good players, i'm saying that at #1 you're looking to take a franchise player. Do you believe Strome can be a franchise player, or has shown more potential to be a franchise player than RNH or Larsson?
I think he has more potential than RNH, and could end up being better than Larsson, but Larsson is the safer pick to be better despite his slow progression this year. Ultimately I think only Landeskog and Larsson are likely to be "franchise" level players out of this draft, and not because I think they will be the best players but just because they have the right skillsets to be with the same team for their whole career because their value will be more than just what they produce. I do think that Dougie Hamilton also has a great chance at being the best player out of this draft.

The thing about this draft is that its top end talent really hasn't separated itself from the guys that are trailing in the top 6 to 8 range. I know that RNH has become the popular hype job of late, but it was Couturier before that, and Landeskog before that, and Larsson before that, so on so forth. RNH really didn't do anything recently that makes him stand-out among that group.

Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier, Huberdeau, Strome, Hamilton, Murphy...any one of those guys could realistically be the best prospect right now. That's not to say that maybe one prospect hasn't shown more at this stage, or might have shown something a bit more in terms of future potential, but ultimately at this stage none of them have really stepped up and separated themselves from the rest of the group and with that in mind I think any team picking from 6 to 8 could end up with the best player.

There aren't always drafts that come with franchise players, and sometimes franchise players come from weird spots later in the draft. Sometimes drafts don't have a true 'top prospect' and just end up with a group of players that all project to be good (like this year.)

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe there is a franchise player in the vein of a Crosby or an Ovechkin or a Doughty, etc. etc. this year. I think there is a big group of good players that have a lot of potential and could even end up playing for their teams for their careers or being tagged as "franchise players." But not just one that has really stood out from the rest.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:39 PM
  #377
Parise09*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,146
vCash: 500
Strome will be a 50-60 point player.

Parise09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
  #378
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
Strome will be a 50-60 point player.
ah, i see.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:57 PM
  #379
Yashin for President
Registered User
 
Yashin for President's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bestchester
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 500
Has hands and the kid can fly. I dont understand why anyone would doubt him besides his size. He will grow a little more though. He has that WOW factor too which the Isles could use. I would love to get him.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 07:57 PM
  #380
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
Strome will be a 50-60 point player.
To me Strome could end up being one of the best players drafted or a more glorified version of Robbie Schremp. As an Islanders fan I much rather they make a safer pick at #5 even if that players point scoring potential isn't exactly as high.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:00 PM
  #381
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahey and Randy View Post
ah, i see.


But really I didn't notice your post above where you were comparing him to Gagne...

I don't think you can really say that Strome was on any better of a team than someone like Landeskog, Huberdeau or RNH. In fact only Landeksog's team did worse, but they definitely had a better offensive core. I would say that Gagne definitely had a better "supporting cast." It would have been really cool to see Strome playing with Kane.

My opinion is that Strome has 70 - 80 point upside with 30 - 35 goals a year. He might break 80 points a couple times in his career.

I've also said it before, but I think RNH has 55 - 65 point upside -- 2nd line player as a PP specialist.

Huberdeau 60 - 70 point upside as a great two way winger (I don't think he's a great centre.) Couturier as a 65 - 75 point two way dominant centre.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
  #382
ItsTheBGB
WJC Pool Champ!
 
ItsTheBGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
The thing about Larsson is that all the Oilers bloggers have shown us about taking defenseman #1 overall and such. Forwards are way better to take than defenders. But thats off topic from this thread.

Thanks for the info though.

ItsTheBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
  #383
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post


But really I didn't notice your post above where you were comparing him to Gagne...

I don't think you can really say that Strome was on any better of a team than someone like Landeskog, Huberdeau or RNH. In fact only Landeksog's team did worse, but they definitely had a better offensive core. I would say that Gagne definitely had a better "supporting cast." It would have been really cool to see Strome playing with Kane.

My opinion is that Strome has 70 - 80 point upside with 30 - 35 goals a year. He might break 80 points a couple times in his career.

I've also said it before, but I think RNH has 55 - 65 point upside -- 2nd line player as a PP specialist.

Huberdeau 60 - 70 point upside as a great two way winger (I don't think he's a great centre.) Couturier as a 65 - 75 point two way dominant centre.

Anyway, just my two cents.
You aware of what upside means? You got consensus wrong yesterday, so just checkin.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
  #384
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You aware of what upside means? You got consensus wrong yesterday, so just checkin.
Your posts are always worth reading. Sorry if I offended your favorite prospect; I just wish you were capable of having an intelligent discussion as opposed to attempting to troll.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM
  #385
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,675
vCash: 196
I see him as a Gagner/Horcoff/Damphousse/Gilmour type player. His Relcorsi is high and his eftzoid/60 is off the charts.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:42 PM
  #386
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Your posts are always worth reading. Sorry if I offended your favorite prospect; I just wish you were capable of having an intelligent discussion as opposed to attempting to troll.
You can take it however you want, but I still can't be certain you know what upside means. Besides if I was anyone but the Oilers I'd probably take Larsson first.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
  #387
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You can take it however you want, but I still can't be certain you know what upside means. Besides if I was anyone but the Oilers I'd probably take Larsson first.
I can't be sure that you've ever watched half the players you talk about play (enigma Semin for example), but I like to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll pretend like you've actually watched half the prospects you talk so highly of, and move on (as unsure as I might be.)

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
  #388
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I can't be sure that you've ever watched half the players you talk about play (enigma Semin for example), but I like to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'll pretend like you've actually watched half the prospects you talk so highly of, and move on (as unsure as I might be.)
Keep the faith, brother. Oddly the first time I've heard an accusation like that. I'm the guy that paid for streams for Spokane's last two playoff games and your doubting I've seen a lot of other prospects play? Lol, I guess visa could tell you you're wrong by themselves, but there's quite a few free viewings out there anyways.

We talked at length about what I said about Semin, I made it very clear. I linked you to a quote that leads me to be skeptical about making a commitment to him. I even told you it might just be a Russian bias. That exchange led you to claim you'd never post on the board again, and then you came back the next day.

And we can leave the rest of our feud for the Sens board. I'm so happy you came back.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:15 PM
  #389
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Keep the faith, brother. Oddly the first time I've heard an accusation like that. I'm the guy that paid for streams for Spokane's last two playoff games and your doubting I've seen a lot of other prospects play? Lol, I guess visa could tell you you're wrong by themselves, but there's quite a few free viewings out there anyways.

We talked at length about what I said about Semin, I made it very clear. I linked you to a quote that leads me to be skeptical about making a commitment to him. I even told you it might just be a Russian bias. That exchange led you to claim you'd never post on the board again, and then you came back the next day.

And we can leave the rest of our feud for the Sens board.
You don't have to prove anything to me, bro'. You will have to answer to Jesus.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:20 PM
  #390
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
You don't have to prove anything to me, bro'. You will have to answer to Jesus.
Only if you tell me what upside means.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
  #391
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Only if you tell me what upside means.
I think it means enigma, no? Semin is an upside? Wait, that can't be right...

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:29 PM
  #392
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
You can do better than that...

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
  #393
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You can do better than that...
I once thought the same of you. It's odd how wrong assumptions can be.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
  #394
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post


But really I didn't notice your post above where you were comparing him to Gagne...

I don't think you can really say that Strome was on any better of a team than someone like Landeskog, Huberdeau or RNH. In fact only Landeksog's team did worse, but they definitely had a better offensive core. I would say that Gagne definitely had a better "supporting cast." It would have been really cool to see Strome playing with Kane.

My opinion is that Strome has 70 - 80 point upside with 30 - 35 goals a year. He might break 80 points a couple times in his career.

I've also said it before, but I think RNH has 55 - 65 point upside -- 2nd line player as a PP specialist.


Huberdeau 60 - 70 point upside as a great two way winger (I don't think he's a great centre.) Couturier as a 65 - 75 point two way dominant centre.

Anyway, just my two cents.
This is really hilarious. I guess you don't care that RNH is the clear #1 on every single scouting list and Strome is down there at 7 or 8 most of the time.

It's not even something that's up for debate. RNH has a ton more upside than Strome. Actually watch the games and you'll see that. Claiming an elite player like him has only 55 point upside is laughable. It should be the other way around.

Stop acting like you're some elite scout. Strome is not the better prospect, period.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:37 PM
  #395
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I once thought the same of you. It's odd how wrong assumptions can be.
Actually it isn't odd at all. I can only think of one thing that would have changed your mind.

In attempt to keep this thread on topic...I'd be shocked if he went 1st overall like I'd be shocked if Huberdeau did. Lots of movement can take place over the next two months but I don't think there's enough time for a new player to get #1 consideration. It's RNH or Larsson...Couturier and Landeskog probably have the only outside chances after that. Maybe something crazy can happen if Huberdeau or Strome went to the Mem Cup and took it by storm.


Last edited by Minister of Offence: 04-21-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
  #396
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
This is really hilarious. I guess you don't care that RNH is the clear #1 on every single scouting list and Strome is down there at 7 or 8 most of the time.

It's not even something that's up for debate. RNH has a ton more upside than Strome. Actually watch the games and you'll see that. Claiming an elite player like him has only 55 point upside is laughable. It should be the other way around.

Stop acting like you're some elite scout. Strome is not the better prospect, period.
I'm not acting like anything. I clearly state beforehand "this is my opinion." Is it really that much of a problem in your life that I have a differing opinion from you, or others? Especially when the difference between the top prospects is so small in terms of accomplishments and potential. I've watched them both play, and I'm set in my assessment of their play. If you want I could list off the reasons why I think RNH will struggle in the NHL and why Strome won't (as much.) But I doubt you'd listen anyway -- after all scouts know what's up. So in stead of discussing it and listening to other opinions why don't you just come on and read the lists and let us laughable fools discuss on our own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Actually it isn't odd at all. I can only think of one thing that would have changed your mind.

In attempt to keep this thread on topic...I'd be shocked if he went 1st overall like I'd be shocked if Huberdeau did. Lots of movement can take place over the next two months but I don't think there's enough time for a new player to get #1 consideration. It's RNH or Larsson...Couturier and Landeskog probably have the only outside chances after that. Maybe something crazy can happen if Huberdeau or Strome went to the Mem Cup and took it by storm.
Agreed with pretty much everything. The most likely candidates for the 1st overall are RNH, Larsson and Couturier. Strome and Huberdeau have very long odds based on their memorial cup exploits. That's about it. In Edmonton's case I think they'd be best served to go with Couturier, but I'm guessing RNH will be their pick.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:29 PM
  #397
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,753
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post


But really I didn't notice your post above where you were comparing him to Gagne...

I don't think you can really say that Strome was on any better of a team than someone like Landeskog, Huberdeau or RNH. In fact only Landeksog's team did worse, but they definitely had a better offensive core. I would say that Gagne definitely had a better "supporting cast." It would have been really cool to see Strome playing with Kane.

My opinion is that Strome has 70 - 80 point upside with 30 - 35 goals a year. He might break 80 points a couple times in his career.

I've also said it before, but I think RNH has 55 - 65 point upside -- 2nd line player as a PP specialist.

Huberdeau 60 - 70 point upside as a great two way winger (I don't think he's a great centre.) Couturier as a 65 - 75 point two way dominant centre.

Anyway, just my two cents.
You honestly believe a player who is ranked #1 by various professional scouting services has 55 to 65 point upside? And you want people to take your opinion seriously?

I, too, question if you know the proper use of the term 'upside'. Perhaps you might want to come up with a different way of saying that, because using "upside" in scouting/projecting terms makes your breakdown of the above pretty laughable.

Either that, or you believe these scouting services -- as well as the people who watch him play on a regular basis -- are so off the mark with him. Because if that was Nugent-Hopkins' "upside", he wouldn't even be in the discussion for first overall.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:35 PM
  #398
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You honestly believe a player who is ranked #1 by various professional scouting services has 55 to 65 point upside? And you want people to take your opinion seriously?

I, too, question if you know the proper use of the term 'upside'. Perhaps you might want to come up with a different way of saying that, because using "upside" in scouting/projecting terms makes your breakdown of the above pretty laughable.

Either that, or you believe these scouting services -- as well as the people who watch him play on a regular basis -- are so off the mark with him. Because if that was Nugent-Hopkins' "upside", he wouldn't even be in discussion for first overall.
There's a reason I say "in my opinion." I obviously take scouting, and other such opinions into account, but remember there have been 1st overalls that never make an impact in the NHL at all. Scouting isn't always perfect. I do think they have it wrong with RNH. It's kind of beating a dead horse, but I'm sure that there were people who said Daigle was gonna flop way back when and I'm sure that person got the same treatment. I will have no problem admitting I was wrong when and if RNH becomes a superstar player in the NHL.

I mean really, it's just my opinion. I've supported it with statistics, first hand viewing and other evidence that I've said leads ME to believe this. If you have a problem with what I'm saying that's fine but instead of just going back and saying "BUT SCOUTS -----" form your own opinions.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:37 PM
  #399
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I'm not acting like anything. I clearly state beforehand "this is my opinion." Is it really that much of a problem in your life that I have a differing opinion from you, or others? Especially when the difference between the top prospects is so small in terms of accomplishments and potential. I've watched them both play, and I'm set in my assessment of their play. If you want I could list off the reasons why I think RNH will struggle in the NHL and why Strome won't (as much.) But I doubt you'd listen anyway -- after all scouts know what's up. So in stead of discussing it and listening to other opinions why don't you just come on and read the lists and let us laughable fools discuss on our own?



Agreed with pretty much everything. The most likely candidates for the 1st overall are RNH, Larsson and Couturier. Strome and Huberdeau have very long odds based on their memorial cup exploits. That's about it. In Edmonton's case I think they'd be best served to go with Couturier, but I'm guessing RNH will be their pick.
It's fine that you think Strome will be better, it's just hilarious that you give no respect to him. A first overall pick isn't projected to have an upside of 55-65 points.

The difference between RNH and Strome is big, by all accounts. Everybody agrees that he is in the Top 3 and Strome isn't. RNH basically turned that franchise around since he came into the league. Strome plays with some very good players.

Also, Couturier isn't even in the discussion for first overall LOL.

I find your "opinion" is based on the fact that Strome is a bit more flashy because of his slap shot, or because you have never seen RNH and only like Strome because you have seen him more and you are biased.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 11:41 PM
  #400
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,753
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
There's a reason I say "in my opinion." I obviously take scouting, and other such opinions into account, but remember there have been 1st overalls that never make an impact in the NHL at all. Scouting isn't always perfect. I do think they have it wrong with RNH. It's kind of beating a dead horse, but I'm sure that there were people who said Daigle was gonna flop way back when and I'm sure that person got the same treatment. I will have no problem admitting I was wrong when and if RNH becomes a superstar player in the NHL.

I mean really, it's just my opinion. I've supported it with statistics, first hand viewing and other evidence that I've said leads ME to believe this. If you have a problem with what I'm saying that's fine but instead of just going back and saying "BUT SCOUTS -----" form your own opinions.
I'm just clarifying that you're sure you're using the right word to describe your analysis of RNH.

I was sort of giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were giving more of a safe estimate of what he'll be, rather than meaning that's his "upside", which generally tends to mean "if he reaches his ceiling, this is his high end potential".

If you really think that's his upside, hey, all the power to you if you end up being right. But you're also going to hear it quite a bit if Nugent-Hopkins tops that "upside" total before he's even 22 years old.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.