HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Old
04-22-2011, 08:50 AM
SK13
Prep Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Yeah, I noticed that also.

Just curious, has an NHL team ever had back to back first overall draft picks in successive years?
The Nordiques had 3 straight first overall picks (Sundin, Nolan and Lindros). The Islanders and Senators also had two straight first overall picks.

Oilers are the first time it's happened in the last 13 years, but Pittsburgh did draft 1-2-1-2.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:04 AM
SensFan26

vCash: 500
I'm hoping the Senators draft Ryan Strome. He is the type of player that we need.

SensFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
LOL at Sens fans still crying about picking 6th that they have to make themselves feel better by discrediting other players.
No, that's just CPM. Just to clarify, he had the same reasoning even when we were at #2, so that has nothing to do with what he says.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:22 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
No doubt that's impressive IATL, but by the time Strome is ready for the NHL there will be a new measuring stick for stat keeping. Inverted Corsi will measure how many strides he takes in each zone with and without the puck and divide it by the amount of appearances on "Oil Change Season 4: Warranty Voided."

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise09 View Post
LOL at Sens fans still crying about picking 6th that they have to make themselves feel better by discrediting other players.
Yeah the stuff CPM is saying has nothing to do with dropping from 5th to 6th. We did most of our griping watching Craig Anderson peace keep our tank over the last month.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Now I know you don't really watch these players at all other than some youtube clips you see on the net.
Of course. I've made that quite clear.

Quote:
It +is in fact Huberdeau that you are descriping here, not Strome.

Look Strome's agility top turn on a dime is not like RNH, actually RNH's agility meets or even exceeds that of Datsyuk or just about any NHL player I've seen. That is not to say Strome does not have elite skating ability. He can cut in the middle in a milli secind and twist and turn as well, not just as well as RNH can. His stride is not choppy at all, Huberdeau's kinda is though even though he does not look slow and skates up and down the ice with a power.

Lets just say Strome will not fail in the NHL due to skating. If he does it (and I highly doubt that) it will be due to his high risk plays and lack of defensive game. He will be no worse than Tim Connolly, and Connolly was/is a lot softer than Strome is.
Well, if clips don't do credit to Strome's skating, that's fair enough and I appreciate you correcting my limited impression. Clips can be deceiving. In any case, I naturally never implied that I thought Strome might fail in the NHL due to his skating, or for that matter that he's a bad skater. He just didn't look to me to be in the same class as Huberdeau, Namestnikov or RNH, particularly in terms of agility.

However I highly doubt clips give an unduly flattering appearance of Huberdeau's skating. When you can do what he is manifestly doing, that says something. And that is not a stiff or awkward skater.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:23 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
I only watch highlight videos, but the kid reminds me of Tim Connolly. If there is a comparison to Strome, who would it be?
In my opinion, I see Strome being very similar to Brad Richards. Probably be a consistent 70 - 80 pts player throughout his career while maybe topping 90 pts a couple of times.

If I had to guess, I see him being selected between # 5 and # 8.

Hoping for him or Zibanejad to be selected by the Thrashers at # 7.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Yashin for President

Strome

Some Isle fans are unhappy that we didnt select Couterier. I think he is going to be exciting. Has anyone watched him throughout the season? Would love to hear anything bad/good about him. He seems like a 2 way version of Semin, I could be wrong. Thanks.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
boredmale

The guy seems very media savy, so that is a huge bonus for a team looking to build a fanbase.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:20 PM
1 Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
The guy seems very media savy, so that is a huge bonus for a team looking to build a fanbase.
Thats what we needed...

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:26 PM
The Mauve Avenger

They'll like him pretty quickly.

The Mauve Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:32 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post
They'll like him pretty quickly.
He's got way better upside than Couts, but the bust potential also is big with him cuz he is not effective at keeping things simple i.e. dumb and chase when he has to, making smart passes instead high risk plays etc.

In terms of pure offensive upside it is between him and RNH. Hubedeau is more well rounded player than both even though he is a tick below in offense. Strome's one on one skills and shot are more elite than RNH. He is not the agile and as smooth a skater though. And like RNH had disappointing playoffs.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 06-25-2011 at 04:39 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Neverlose

Ryan Strome

As an Islanders fan who has never seen Strome play other than at training camp I was wondering why when people suggest what the top 5-10 of the draft should have been Strome is rarely considered worthy of the top 5 pick? What is it about his game people feel makes him not as good as others who should have gone ahead of him? From what I read in the scouting reports he sounds like a potential star talent with a good all-around game. So, just curious. Thanks for the replies.

Neverlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
msv957

Too small and does not have any grit to his game.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:21 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Small soft and slow. Great puck skills and offensive ability, but he has a lot to work on to become a star in this league.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
6'1" 183 lbs. Not huge or anything, but I hardly consider that small. And while I agree he has a ways to go before becoming an NHL star, I think the same could be said of anyone available at #5.

Also, I don't see the slow knock on him at all, but maybe I just haven't seen enough of him.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
bjtkyo

In my honest opinion, he's basically Nazem Kadri, but slightly bigger and not as gritty.

bjtkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Would you guys take Scheifele over Strome now?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Neverlose

Why do you guys think then Snow went with Strome over the other players if it's that obvious Strome's game is a step behind the others drafted behind him? Think it was because he was the best player available who could possibly be converted to a winger?

Neverlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:29 PM
IslandersFan17

Strome was a late riser and that tends to something people take into account when talking top five picks. More times than not those late risers are more high risk types. Basically, Strome had something like 13 points in 20 some odd games. Then the very next year popped off for over 100 (106) in 65 games.

As far as speed, that was never a question on Strome. As a matter-of-fact Strome is noted for making shifty moves at top speed and being agile while not losing a step. Furthermore, Strome has the ability to find holes in the defense and make silky smooth passes.

All-in-all, Strome's late rise on top of being a tad on the smaller side has some people leery. Although, when I look at the likes of say-
Patrick Kane- 5'11" 181 (whom Strome most draws comparison too)
Marian Gaborik- 6'1" 198
Martin St. Louis- 5'8" 176
Claude Giroux- 5'11" 172

That is just naming a couple off the top of my head. Players who don't scare anyone with size but have great hockey awareness to compensate for their lack of size.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

It seems like Snow took Strome because of his incredible upside. its very hard to teach the skills he has, and if the Islanders can build the rest of his game around those they will have one hell of a player

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 10:05 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlose View Post
Why do you guys think then Snow went with Strome over the other players if it's that obvious Strome's game is a step behind the others drafted behind him? Think it was because he was the best player available who could possibly be converted to a winger?
When I saw Strome play it was the first thing I thought of. He's a kid that is tenacious and works hard but always thought his hockey IQ was a little low to play center in the bigs.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Dan-o16

Boy, I understand the slow comments. I don't think he's slow, I just think he's not explosive. But the 'no grit' comment is way way off. He's not big enough (yet) to move people, but he's got sandpaper. And if anyone looked at video of him from 2 years ago, and then last year, they'd realize that he was night and day physically. The Isles bet there's still another year of physical growth in him.

I also see Strome on RW in the future.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

He will be JT's winger when he makes it.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtkyo View Post
In my honest opinion, he's basically Nazem Kadri, but slightly bigger and not as gritty.
Strome and Kadri don't play similar games at all.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote