HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Old
12-27-2011, 01:16 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word rushed, I feel mishandled would be the proper word for it. Nino in my opinion is being extremely mishandled this year, do you feel he is ready? Because I really don't, and it doesn't help that he is getting very limited ice time on the 3rd-4th line. He could be playing as the star for the Swiss at the WJC right now, and playing top line minutes for Portland right now. I wouldn't mind him staying in the NHL this season, but I feel he is not being given the proper ice time to rapidly develop.

He is really the biggest prospect that comes to my mind outside of Bailey, but he is a big kid and may end up alright, I just do not want to see Strome on this roster next season because in all likelihood he will still be too small and won't be 100% ready yet.

No I'm not happy with how the isles have Nino on the roster,how he's getting such little icetime.At this point,6 weeks from the trade deadline,I'm not sure it makes sense to send him down.I expect the impending ufa forwards,Rolston/Pandolfo/Neilsen to be moved.

The difference between Nino and Strome imo, is that Nino is physically ready to play against men.The slightly built Strome isn't.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
A more dynamic Joe Pavelski is what I could see. I also see him being able to play both wing and centre because I don't see him as a great fit as a future pivot at the NHL level.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
No I'm not happy with how the isles have Nino on the roster,how he's getting such little icetime.At this point,6 weeks from the trade deadline,I'm not sure it makes sense to send him down.I expect the impending ufa forwards,Rolston/Pandolfo/Neilsen to be moved.

The difference between Nino and Strome imo, is that Nino is physically ready to play against men.The slightly built Strome isn't.
Well even with Rolston and Pandolfo out he is getting little ice time. Nielsen really should not make a difference on his ice time since Nielsen is a center, and playing in a top 6 role. I do feel that he is physically ready, he may even be mentally ready, but I just don't like the fact of how little ice time he is getting. Along with the fact that he would be leading the Swiss team this year, likely would have captained the team, and would have been a top forward in the entire WHL. I would have been ok with it if they even allowed him to be loaned to the Swiss team for the WJC and than returned to NYI afterwards.

Strome is at least 2 years away from being physically ready IMO.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Well even with Rolston and Pandolfo out he is getting little ice time. Nielsen really should not make a difference on his ice time since Nielsen is a center, and playing in a top 6 role. I do feel that he is physically ready, he may even be mentally ready, but I just don't like the fact of how little ice time he is getting. Along with the fact that he would be leading the Swiss team this year, likely would have captained the team, and would have been a top forward in the entire WHL. I would have been ok with it if they even allowed him to be loaned to the Swiss team for the WJC and than returned to NYI afterwards.

Strome is at least 2 years away from being physically ready IMO.
We agree that Strome is not physically ready for the NHL and probably won't be for a couple of seasons.

I disagree that the isles are gonna rush him.They look like they learned their lesson with Bailey,sending youngsters like De Haan and Kabanov back to juniors and the AHL whe it was clear they weren't physically ready.

Old
12-27-2011, 05:02 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Whats his potential? Does he have #1 centre potential?
with the islanders? robbie shremp

with any other moderately competent organization in the NHL? pre-concussion marc savard

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

With getting drafted fifth overall i cant imagine theyd want him to turn into a #2 center. Maybe on the Islanders he'll be the second line center, but he strikes me as a guy who can play wing for the better part of his career.

I'm a fan of his.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:07 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
We agree that Strome is not physically ready for the NHL and probably won't be for a couple of seasons.

I disagree that the isles are gonna rush him.They look like they learned their lesson with Bailey,sending youngsters like De Haan and Kabanov back to juniors and the AHL whe it was clear they weren't physically ready.
I am not necessarily saying that they will rush him, I just really hope they take as much time as he needs. He will be a very important piece to this team for a long time to come, so if they do rush him it could really set the team back.

Old
12-28-2011, 10:43 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
Strome isn't slow either.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
CREW99AW

Strome's head coach compares him favorably to Eberle.

I'll be thilled if in 2-3 yrs,the isles have an Eberle clone.

Old
12-28-2011, 11:48 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Strome's head coach compares him favorably to Eberle.

I'll be thilled if in 2-3 yrs,the isles have an Eberle clone.
as will I

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:28 PM
msv957

With the way the Islanders management handles top prospects I can see Strome struggling to make it in the NHL like Bailey, Nino and Okposo.

The Isles management do not surround these kids with any type of quality NHL veterans. They are thrown out there as a teenager where these kids have to figure the NHL out on their own. There is a serious losing culture on the Island for a long time now. It is just about impossible for a top prospect to succeed this way unless they are Mario Lemieux, Crosby, Lindros or Ovechkin superstar talent.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
With the way the Islanders management handles top prospects I can see Strome struggling to make it in the NHL like Bailey, Nino and Okposo.

The Isles management do not surround these kids with any type of quality NHL veterans. They are thrown out there as a teenager where these kids have to figure the NHL out on their own. There is a serious losing culture on the Island for a long time now. It is just about impossible for a top prospect to succeed this way unless they are Mario Lemieux, Crosby, Lindros or Ovechkin superstar talent.
Matt Martin, Travis Hamonic, and David Ullstrom have all come up over the last 2 seasons and have done quite well even without the superstar talent you believe a young player needs to succeed on Long Island.

Also Okposo is coming off a major shoulder surgery and before then was developing just fine for the Islanders, so I have no ****ing clue why you brought his name up.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Also Okposo is coming off a major shoulder surgery and before then was developing just fine for the Islanders, so I have no ****ing clue why you brought his name up.
His freshman year in Minnesota went really well for the first half and it was downhill from there. So he was taken out of a bad situation and moved up early. He honestly could've used a couple solid years in the CHL like say a Brandon Saad is getting. I realize Saad was a 2nd rounder, but they were so similar at the same age it's crazy. Both big guys with good speed and good all-around game, but aren't real physical players. Okposo could've used one more stable year at a lower level before coming up, IMO. He could've easily been put in the AHL after being pulled out of Minnesota instead of the NHL and given a year to adjust to the pro game and long schedule.

That said, he's turning out fine so it's not a big worry. The handling of Niederreiter is a different story.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
His freshman year in Minnesota went really well for the first half and it was downhill from there. So he was taken out of a bad situation and moved up early. He honestly could've used a couple solid years in the CHL like say a Brandon Saad is getting. I realize Saad was a 2nd rounder, but they were so similar at the same age it's crazy. Both big guys with good speed and good all-around game, but aren't real physical players. Okposo could've used one more stable year at a lower level before coming up, IMO. He could've easily been put in the AHL after being pulled out of Minnesota instead of the NHL and given a year to adjust to the pro game and long schedule.

That said, he's turning out fine so it's not a big worry. The handling of Niederreiter is a different story.
He was. He was assigned to Bridgeport after signing and given a few games with the Isles at the end of the season.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

Yeah.I hate how the isles rushed Cal De Haan.

Brock Nelson,Anders Lee and Kabanov clearly weren't nhl ready.Yet there they are,playing in the NHL.

Oh wait,they aren't playing in the NHL,despite the isles needing help on the D and skill among their forwards.

I love how many posters act like lemmings.Simply parroting what other poster say<g>

Old
12-28-2011, 05:16 PM
JayOnrait18

I think Strome is like a Jason Spezza, between 1st line superstar C and 2nd line C. He will not unseat Tavares as the Ilses #1 but he will be good

JayOnrait18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:53 PM
msv957

Quote:
Yeah.I hate how the isles rushed Cal De Haan.

Brock Nelson,Anders Lee and Kabanov clearly weren't nhl ready.Yet there they are,playing in the NHL.

Oh wait,they aren't playing in the NHL,despite the isles needing help on the D and skill among their forwards.

I love how many posters act like lemmings.Simply parroting what other poster say<g>
I mentioned TOP prospects such as top 10 picks or better. Bailey, Nino, and even Okposo were rushed into the NHL onto horrible teams with a horrible losing culture. There was no way these players were put in a position to succeed. That is mishandling top prospects at its finest.

I don't consider Dehaan, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Kabanov ever to be top prospects.

Old
12-28-2011, 05:56 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
I mentioned TOP prospects such as top 10 picks or better. Bailey, Nino, and even Okposo were rushed into the NHL onto horrible teams with a horrible losing culture. There was no way these players were put in a position to succeed. That is mishandling top prospects at its finest.

I don't consider Dehaan, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Kabanov ever to be top prospects.
Okposo was not rushed. I wouldn't say Nino is being "rushed", but he is being mishandled. That is a fixable issue though, he needs better line mates to play with him, and he needs to be seeing more ice time.

Old
12-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Kershaw

He's a great prospect, but I have my doubts if he'll reach his high-end potential because of the Islanders handling of prospects.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Matt Martin, Travis Hamonic, and David Ullstrom have all come up over the last 2 seasons and have done quite well even without the superstar talent you believe a young player needs to succeed on Long Island.
Martin, Hamonic and Ullstrom were not rushed into the NHL as a teenager like Bailey, Okposo and Nino were.. They had some time to develop and it shows.

It would also certainly help these players even more if they had quality NHL veterans on the roster leading them.

Old
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOnrait18 View Post
I think Strome is like a Jason Spezza, between 1st line superstar C and 2nd line C. He will not unseat Tavares as the Ilses #1 but he will be good
Um....

If Strome becomes Jason Spezza Tavares will not stay as the #1.

Spezza is a straight up 1st line superstar.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
He was. He was assigned to Bridgeport after signing and given a few games with the Isles at the end of the season.
Re-read my post. He wasn't given a full year, just the rest of the season. Which was my point -- he bounced around a lot that year. Most young kids need stability and a controlled environment. Okposo's development was all over the place in 2007. Most prospects can use a couple years of steady coaching and proper advancement. It did wonders for David Ullstrom, who has steadily climbed the ladder and earned his way up. Okposo was handed his opportunity.

Like I said, it's all said and done now and he's done well, so it wasn't a total mistake. On the other hand, rushing Niederreiter could very well turn out to be a huge mistake. We'll see.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Karlssonlee

I like the kid. Good skater. Good Slapper, good vision. I just don't like his compete level all the time. I wish he had more fire in him. He's at his best when he plays with an edge.

He tends to disappear though if he gets hit hard early in the game. Doesn't show up for the rest of the night.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:44 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I mentioned TOP prospects such as top 10 picks or better. Bailey, Nino, and even Okposo were rushed into the NHL onto horrible teams with a horrible losing culture. There was no way these players were put in a position to succeed. That is mishandling top prospects at its finest. /

whether YOU consider Nelson(30th overall),De Haan (12th overall) or the highly touted,but controversial Kabanov to be top prospects means jack.

The isles front office and their scouts consider them to be top prospects.

So sad to see them rushed into the NHL(sarcasm).

Old
12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Re-read my post. He wasn't given a full year, just the rest of the season. Which was my point -- he bounced around a lot that year. Most young kids need stability and a controlled environment. Okposo's development was all over the place in 2007. Most prospects can use a couple years of steady coaching and proper advancement. It did wonders for David Ullstrom, who has steadily climbed the ladder and earned his way up. Okposo was handed his opportunity.

Like I said, it's all said and done now and he's done well, so it wasn't a total mistake. On the other hand, rushing Niederreiter could very well turn out to be a huge mistake. We'll see.
Okposo scored 52 pts in his sophmore season(2009-2010),a modest improvement of 13 pts over his rookie yr,while being voted an assistant captain by teammates.

Going into his 3rd pro season,he looked poised to at least hit the 60+ pt mark.Instead he had a shoulder injury in training camp and major shoulder surgery

It's taken the 23 yr old almost almost 55 games to get back on track,playing the way he did in 2009-2010.

Isles will be pretty happy if Okposo becomes a consistent 60 pt player,doing the dirty work on his line.