HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW/C Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Old
05-17-2012, 10:01 PM
islandermaniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Really?

You can't see why you're biased, islandermaniac?

I have no bias. Don't care much for the player and didn't impress me at all in the WJC.
so because my user name is "islandermaniac," i'm biased when i suggest that strome wasn't as bad as you say at the wjc?

is life really that easy for you? oh, to be that simple...

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Grigo25*

He was poor to average at the WJC. But I guess people will see what hey want to see. Huberdeau and Stone were the two best forwards

Grigo25* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemon999 View Post
I would like to hear your opinions on Ryan Strome. I looked at his stats for the year in juniors and it surely isn't something to scoff at. He went 30G 38A for 68P in only 48 games, while missing a substantial amount of the season due to injury. I haven't seen any of his games this season or his playoff run, if anyone has seen him play or knows much about how his playoff run went along with his strengths and weaknesses that would be awesome. I want to know if perhaps the Islanders knew what they were doing drafting this kid at 5 over the likes of Sean Couturier.
How many NHL games and seasons does he have under his belt?

How many people thought the same about countless prospects?

Wait until he has proven himself in the NHL and it will take more than 1 season.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Grigo25*

In 5 years, we're gonna look back to see how dead wrong people are about Sean Couturier. We might not even remember who he was.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:11 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber View Post
He was poor to average at the WJC. But I guess people will see what hey want to see. Huberdeau and Stone were the two best forwards
agreed on stone. his injury hurt canada badly. huberdeau, however, was no better than strome.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:20 PM
spfan

1 more OHL season and maybe a season in the AHL and I think he'll be a good player for the NYI. Either a #2 center or #1 RW.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:13 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
If you call a good 2nd liner, great 3rd line the real deal then yes. He won't be a star or anything.
well im convinced

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
People used to laugh at me when I said Couturier was better the 2nd best center in last year's draft.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Qubax

Quote:
In 5 years, we're gonna look back to see how dead wrong people are about Sean Couturier. We might not even remember who he was.
We might not remember who Couturier was or Strome?

If you are thinking Couturier I think your mistaken.

Listen I am still in the camp that maybe Strome and Scheifele were better picks then Couturier....

I especially still believe this about Scheifele, BUT...

whether Couturier is a dominant #1 C(which he still could become), or Jordan Staal(a lot more likely)...I highly doubt people will "not remember who he was" because he's gonna carve out a nice career one way or another.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Grigo25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
We might not remember who Couturier was or Strome?

If you are thinking Couturier I think your mistaken.

Listen I am still in the camp that maybe Strome and Scheifele were better picks then Couturier....

I especially still believe this about Scheifele, BUT...

whether Couturier is a dominant #1 C(which he still could become), or Jordan Staal(a lot more likely)...I highly doubt people will "not remember who he was" because he's gonna carve out a nice career one way or another.
I'm a tell you one time.

It was a joke. but Strome will > Couturier NDIMM

Old
05-18-2012, 04:33 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Captain Hindsight AWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYY!!!!

IIRC Both Hamilton and Couturier were rated ahead of Strome. Hindsight has nothing to do with it

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Grigo25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
IIRC Both Hamilton and Couturier were rated ahead of Strome. Hindsight has nothing to do with it
And those rankings mean nothing. Most teams had him ahead of couturier and Hamilton

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 05-18-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: ?sp?
Old
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Dan-o16

I think it's pretty clear that Strome was a riskier pick than some other picks, considering his relative physical development. That's also why some estimation of his upside tends to be higher.

I think everyone can agree that Strome still looks like a kid. He had enormous physical and performance development between his 1st and 2nd year of junior. He, obviously, did not duplicate that between his 2nd and 3rd year. Is another spurt of physical development going to occur shortly? If so, that's to the good. If not, then maybe not.

He needs another year in junior. That much seems obvious.

About comparisons to Kadri - here's something people need to recognize about Strome. Kadri turned 19 in the beginning of his first of his big year in junior. Strome won't be 19 until just before next season.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:08 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I know this hasn't been said yet, but the Islanders definitely should have taken Couturier or Hamilton. Strome's not bad but they're a lot better now and likely always will be.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:17 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

It's still way too early to determine who Strome is/will be better or worse than.

Let the players (ie. Strome, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Huberdeau, Hamilton, Baertshi, Couturier, etc) play a couple of seasons in the NHL before determining who is better or worse.

Look at the 2007 draft; I doubt anyone would have thought in 2008 that the best forwards after Kane were going to be Couture (9th) and Benn (129th).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
Having said that, his hockey IQ is through the roof and I do see shades of Danny Briere.
Whenever I see him this is the first player that comes to mind. I don't see Strome being the type of guy you build a team around, but could end up a guy who provides offense for a team if they put him in a good situation

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:32 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Reminds me of Kadri, everyone will call him a bust because he will take longer to develop
I second this. Highly skilled/undersized. Its quite evident now that Kadri is a special player. I think strome has the ability and talent, he just needs to stay the course. The only person holding him back would be himself. If he can take his lumps (in all aspects) he will be a great NHLer.

Many thought Kadri was a lost cause at center because of his size and strength. Well after a long wait, and plenty of games on the wing he is now the top line center of a pretty dominant Marlies team. Just stay patient isles, and learn from the Nino experiment.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Going into that draft I was really hopeing for Dougie Hamilton but thought the Bruins would get Strome Basicaly if the Isles had picked Hamilton I think Ott,Win,Phi would still have picked there guys

I think Strome will take a little while but turn into a good 2C but with JT thats all they need from him

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Grigo25*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I second this. Highly skilled/undersized. Its quite evident now that Kadri is a special player. I think strome has the ability and talent, he just needs to stay the course. The only person holding him back would be himself. If he can take his lumps (in all aspects) he will be a great NHLer.

Many thought Kadri was a lost cause at center because of his size and strength. Well after a long wait, and plenty of games on the wing he is now the top line center of a pretty dominant Marlies team. Just stay patient isles, and learn from the Nino experiment.
When did Kadri become a special player?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:02 PM
duli12345

Quote:
Couts will play and be relevant in the NHL much longer than 5 years. I don't think he will be a STAR, but he just might be if the cards fall his way.

At worst he will be a long time 3rd line shutdown 3rd or 2nd C who will garner some selke talk with ZERO flash to his game.

duli12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I think he's gonna bust.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:44 AM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
People used to laugh at me when I said Couturier was better the 2nd best center in last year's draft.
No they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Going into that draft I was really hopeing for Dougie Hamilton but thought the Bruins would get Strome Basicaly if the Isles had picked Hamilton I think Ott,Win,Phi would still have picked there guys
I seem to recall a story written about how the Sens were expecting to be able to select Strome at 6. No link, but hopefully someone can help me out.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:48 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I think he's gonna bust.
That's nice. Excellent reasoning, too.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:09 AM
EpicNeilTime

I think he's going to be similar to Bryan Little. Same points, 1C on a bad team, good 2C on most teams.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:58 AM
JL17

To be honest I didn't even realize he was on the ice in the OHL Finals. Only time I saw him was when he had the puck on the half boards on the PP in the second period. Aside from that nothing.

It'll be seen later on how he develops... It's the Islanders and they don't have the greatest track record with top end talent when developing it.

I like the kid and what he brings he sticks up for himself and teammates just needs better in both ends and when the big games come.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote