HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW/C Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2011, 10:14 PM
  #126
Metalownall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
How is that relevant at all? How are Greg McKegg and Strome even remotely similar?

In stead of just listing off players that have had high point totals and failed why not actually provide reasoning for why you think Strome won't become a good NHLer? What about his game says that he can't make it in the NHL?

I'll tell you why I think he will. I've not seen all of his games, but I've seen enough, and after watching the prospect game I can say this. He has a blistering shot, great passing, good vision and hockey sense and great skating. He's also defensively responsible, scrappy and still filling out his frame. He finds great places to be on the ice almost all the time, and he's got pretty good dangles to boot. He can make a lot of moves at top speed and doesn't seem to let himself get bullied often.

Also considering he is just 17 I don't see why he wouldn't take his offensive success with him to the NHL. If he doesn't go top 5 I'll be surprised.
First, read my sentence carefully, and try to find where I compared McKegg to Strome.

Second, I'm not listing players that had good numbers and failed, McKegg didn't fail he's a good prospect for the Leafs. All I say is we don't only have to check numbers like the other poster said, but the actual game. I never saw Strome play exept for the prospect game, so I'm not in a good position to judge him, wich is why I didn't

Third, from what i read on scouting reports, Strome looks very good and I think he will go around 8-12.

And finally, learn to read


Last edited by Metalownall: 02-03-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: I also never said Strome won't be a good NHLer lol
Metalownall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
  #127
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
How many games have you seen of them? I've seen several games of both RNH and Strome, and RNH is IMO better is almost every offensive category. If you want me to break down their games to every single facet, then I might do that if I feel like it, but don't insult people for basically no reason. Although you may not believe it, everyone here doesn't exist to provide scouting reports for you.
Precisely my point. Well said.

Will he go between 10-15? It's very likely.

But if I were GM of a team, there are players I would pick ahead of Strome.

EDIT: Oh yea, and NO WAY IN HELL Strome goes top 5.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM
  #128
Metalownall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Precisely my point. Well said.

Will he go between 10-15? It's very likely.

But if I were GM of a team, there are players I would pick ahead of Strome.

EDIT: Oh yea, and NO WAY IN HELL Strome goes top 5.
Lol agreed

Metalownall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
  #129
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Precisely my point. Well said.

Will he go between 10-15? It's very likely.

But if I were GM of a team, there are players I would pick ahead of Strome.

EDIT: Oh yea, and NO WAY IN HELL Strome goes top 5.
Ok, but just so you know he is ranked in the top 5 right now and has only been playing better since being ranked there (top 6 for BMac.) But I would assume most organizations have him ranked in the top 5.

I mean, I've already asked twice now, but could you give me some sort of reasoning as to why you guys don't think that Strome will translate his game to the NHL or be a high pick? I've given my reasoning as to why I think he will.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
  #130
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ
 
Gagnefan924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,064
vCash: 500
He's definitely going 5-10 imo. Kid has too many dangles and overally solid play for him not to. Exciting to watch really.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
  #131
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Ok, but just so you know he is ranked in the top 5 right now and has only been playing better since being ranked there (top 6 for BMac.) But I would assume most organizations have him ranked in the top 5.

I mean, I've already asked twice now, but could you give me some sort of reasoning as to why you guys don't think that Strome will translate his game to the NHL or be a high pick? I've given my reasoning as to why I think he will.
Man, there's no way you've ever seen this guy play more then 5 times and your trying to tell us you assume most teams have him in their top 5? You're seriously underestimating how much teams draft boards differ.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:29 PM
  #132
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Man, there's no way you've ever seen this guy play more then 5 times and your trying to tell us you assume most teams have him in their top 5? You're seriously underestimating how much teams draft boards differ.
So I'm guessing with your crystal ball that you've seen all their draft boards and you know that there's no way Strome could be in all their top 5's? With the splashes he's making, his offensive output, and what he has showcased (and the recent OHL honors) it's my assumption and opinion that he would be a top 5 pick on most boards.

I've seen 8 or 9 of his games as my girlfriend's family is from the Niagara region (this includes the prospect game.) I find this funny though coming from a guy that hypes the crap out of RNH based solely on highlights and what other people say.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM
  #133
Metalownall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
The difference between the 5-15 positions is to light. Impossible that every team has him top 5. Not with Couturier, Larsson, RNH, Murphy, Siemens, Huberdeau, etc.

not saying he's a worse players than these, just that the difference is to tight to be a consensus top 10 or 15

Metalownall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
  #134
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalownall View Post
The difference between the 5-15 positions is to light. Impossible that every team has him top 5. Not with Couturier, Larsson, RNH, Murphy, Siemens, Huberdeau, etc.

not saying he's a worse players than these, just that the difference is to tight to be a consensus top 10 or 15
In my opinion he fits in more with Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier and RNH than with the bottom half of the top 10 in Huberdeau, Murphy, Saad, Siemens, etc.

But again, I clearly stated in my post that it is my opinion that teams will be looking at him in top 5 light. I haven't seen nearly as much of other prospects as I have of Strome, but I have made a concerted effort to see as much of the top 4 as I can (RNH, Larsson, Landeskog and Couturier) and from what I can tell Strome is a very special player and can easily be in consideration with those 4.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
  #135
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
So I'm guessing with your crystal ball that you've seen all their draft boards and you know that there's no way Strome could be in all their top 5's? With the splashes he's making, his offensive output, and what he has showcased (and the recent OHL honors) it's my assumption and opinion that he would be a top 5 pick on most boards.

I've seen 8 or 9 of his games as my girlfriend's family is from the Niagara region (this includes the prospect game.) I find this funny though coming from a guy that hypes the crap out of RNH based solely on highlights and what other people say.
Nope but I do understand is once you get out of the "consensus" part of the draft, sort of like the top 3-4 of this draft, draft boards start to vary. You're using offensive output as the only measure to assume how much teams like him when the biggest riser of last year ending up at #4 didn't even put up a point a game in the dub. It's like you insulted that someone could say hey...there are people out there that don't think he's in basically every teams top 5.

I've seen RNH in a few games and it's not hard to tell why he's so highly regarded and a consensus top 4 pick in this draft, it's flat out obvious. He can play keep away in a telephone booth. But I wouldn't even go as far as to assume he's in everybodys top 4. Hell, there might be a team out there that has Strome ahead of RNH, and there is an off chance that that one hypothetical team would be right. Where do I hype the crap out of him anyways....Larsson's my number 1 because of upside and certainty and I flip flop between Landeskog and RNH daily..

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:42 PM
  #136
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Nope but I do understand is once you get out of the "consensus" part of the draft, sort of like the top 3-4 of this draft, draft boards start to vary. You're using offensive output as the only measure to assume how much teams like him when the biggest riser of last year ending up at #4 didn't even put up a point a game in the dub. It's like you insulted that someone could say hey...there are people out there that don't think he's in basically every teams top 5.

I've seen RNH in a few games and it's not hard to tell why he's so highly regarded and a consensus top 4 pick in this draft, it's flat out obvious. He can play keep away in a telephone booth. But I wouldn't even go as far as to assume he's in everybodys top 4. Hell, there might be a team out there that has Strome ahead of RNH, and there is an off chance that that one hypothetical team would be right. Where do I hype the crap out of him anyways....Larsson's my number 1 because of upside and certainty and I flip flop between Landeskog and RNH daily..
Where did I ever point solely to his offensive output as the reasoning for him shooting up the rankings and being worthy of a top 5 pick? You should re-read the topic because I have never been about only his offensive output (although it's stellar.) You are constantly talking about RNH and comparing him to Datsyuk and talking about his incredible potential. He has potential, but again, Strome has made more of an impression on me than either Couturier or RNH from what I've seen.

Anyway, here's a nice article that was just posted on the Ottawa board talking about Strome:

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/F...er-Ryan-Strome

The only thing I disagree about in the article is that he won't be a bonafide #1 center...because I definitely think the potential is there for him to be if he wants it.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
  #137
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Where did I ever point solely to his offensive output as the reasoning for him shooting up the rankings and being worthy of a top 5 pick? You should re-read the topic because I have never been about only his offensive output (although it's stellar.) You are constantly talking about RNH and comparing him to Datsyuk and talking about his incredible potential. He has potential, but again, Strome has made more of an impression on me than either Couturier or RNH from what I've seen.

Anyway, here's a nice article that was just posted on the Ottawa board talking about Strome:

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/F...er-Ryan-Strome

The only thing I disagree about in the article is that he won't be a bonafide #1 center...because I definitely think the potential is there for him to be if he wants it.
Of course..... Projected 2nd line center would not be a consensus top 5 across the NHL's draft boards. The guys obviously got some potential but there are players I would take before him....and your the only person I've seen that's saying things like he's among the elite in this draft. Hey if you're right, good for you, but you threw out a pretty ludicrous statement saying he's in everyone's top 5 and getting defensive when someone thinks he's not among the top 10 or so of the draft.

So I like RNH lol...he plays the game exactly like Datsyuk does and every skill it's rare you see a player do the things he does and makes it look as effortless and easy.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
  #138
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Of course..... Projected 2nd line center would not be a consensus top 5 across the NHL's draft boards. The guys obviously got some potential but there are players I would take before him....and your the only person I've seen that's saying things like he's among the elite in this draft. Hey if you're right, good for you, but you threw out a pretty ludicrous statement saying he's in everyone's top 5 and getting defensive when someone thinks he's not among the top 10 or so of the draft.

So I like RNH lol...he plays the game exactly like Datsyuk does and every skill it's rare you see a player do the things he does and makes it look as effortless and easy.
I never said he was, I said that I assumed he was. It was just my opinion and I wasn't getting defensive. I was a bit annoyed at the 'man there's no way you've seen more than 5 games' and the differing board thing...but again I said I would assume based on what I think. Of course they could be different, but this is a board about speculation.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM
  #139
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ
 
Gagnefan924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,064
vCash: 500
Plenty of teams have different draft boards. Different teams have different needs, plain and simple. I wonder if Strome would/could be converted into a winger so he would be a 1st liner in a sense. He has that kind of game especially because hes a shoot first kinda guy with a canon.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:52 AM
  #140
PortlandWinterHawks
Registered User
 
PortlandWinterHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
James Sheppard was insanely strong on the puck which is why scouts were raving about him. He is no where near dynamic as Strome and doesn't have those fire in his eyes.

PortlandWinterHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 04:37 AM
  #141
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,475
vCash: 500
Strome is scoring at a PPG clip higher than Duchene or Skinner in their draft years I think, and he's one of the youngest players in the draft. He has a booming shot, slick dangles, strong skating ability, and good playmaking skills ... I don't really understand what's not to like.

Unless he bombs the combine or something I think he's a lock for a top 10 pick and I think if he comes back to the OHL next season, he is absolutely going to tear the league apart with another off-season of training under his belt.

I think like Johansen last year he could go a lot higher than people think.


Last edited by Soundwave: 02-04-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 06:34 AM
  #142
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Being a top 10 pick does not mean you are a top ten player. What we say are gut feelings, they are not fact. I personally don't think Strome's game will translate to the bigger stage at the level everyone is expecting him too. That is not to say he will not be an NHL player, but more so that he will not reach what many people on HF believe is his potential.

That is why scouts get paid the big bucks for their projections. There is NO WAY anyone can predict how Strome will turn out, but I just think he won't be quite as good as people are making him out to be. Take it however you want, but thats just a gut feeling.
Yes he should if his a top 10 pick, because teams aren't picking by who they think is the best now, but they will pick the player that is gonna be the best in 3 or 5 years from now and have the biggest impact.

And I know that stats isn't everything, but Strome seems to be the go to guy on a strong team without any highly thought of prospects. He's been contributing on almost half his teams goals.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 07:11 AM
  #143
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post

EDIT: Oh yea, and NO WAY IN HELL Strome goes top 5.
I just don't understand how you can make this guarentee...

Strome was 6th on Bob Mackenzie's midterm list. The law of averages dictates that he had to have been in the top 5 of some NHL scout's lists (and lower than 6th on others). That makes him a SERIOUS candidate for the top 5 at this point.

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
  #144
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Strome is scoring at a PPG clip higher than Duchene or Skinner in their draft years I think, and he's one of the youngest players in the draft. He has a booming shot, slick dangles, strong skating ability, and good playmaking skills ... I don't really understand what's not to like.

Unless he bombs the combine or something I think he's a lock for a top 10 pick and I think if he comes back to the OHL next season, he is absolutely going to tear the league apart with another off-season of training under his belt.
Agree. I can't see Strome falling out of the top 10. I think saying he is a lock to go top 5 at this point is tough just because there may only be one spot available in the top 5 on a lot of draft boards(not all).

For me Strome is definitely top 10 because he doesn't have a weakness that I'm very worried about. He's not on Nugent-Hopkins' level, who is the best forward in this draft IMO, but he should be a darn good player.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
  #145
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 8,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
In no particular order:

Larsson
RNH
Couturier
Landeskog
Murphy
Siemens
Musil
Puempel
Saad
Ambroz
Huberdeau
Armia
Jurco
Mayfield
Nieto



Those are 15 players that I think have a better shot at:
a)cracking the NHL faster
b)producing more/being a factor at the NHL level
c)having a better career

I am sure I could probably name a few more players who I think will be better than Strome.

Like I said, its just what I believe. I know there will be people who disagree with me which I am not concerned about
Not a chance that those five is going before Strome. I also think Saad, Ambroz and Siemens will go after. Maybe Siemens could go ahead if a team is in desperate need of a defenseman, but they could most likely trade down to get him.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
  #146
DuklaNation
Registered User
 
DuklaNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Gut feeling? What kind of lame reason is that? Why cant posters provide some specifics? Strome is a top 10 draft talent without doubt. Why? All the other guys have major weaknesses. Strome just needs to get a little bigger. Anybody who would take Ambroz over Strome must be on crack or just being pro-US on an internet board (why bother?).

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
  #147
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Not a chance that those five is going before Strome. I also think Saad, Ambroz and Siemens will go after. Maybe Siemens could go ahead if a team is in desperate need of a defenseman, but they could most likely trade down to get him.
You simply can't say that. Draft boards are all over the place. That's why guys rated in the 2nd round go 3rd overall (See Wheeler, Blake).

When it comes to Strome, while I agree he is likely on AVERAGE top 7 or 8 on most team draft boards (even though a lot of teams haven't even consolidated theirs), several teams likely don't have him in the top 15. That's just the way it works.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 12:59 PM
  #148
OilerOlli*
 
OilerOlli*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I don't get the hype. I really don't see his game transforming at the NHL. But I am likely one of a VERY few people who think that.
I am with you.
And I think he doesn't nearly has the potential of RNH for example.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
  #149
EpicNeilTime
Registered User
 
EpicNeilTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
IMO Puempel is a much better player then Strome and was consensus top 10 pick last year.

That said, if I'm the Sens and I fall out the top 4 drafting position, we should go after Strome. The Sens aren't exactly the most exciting team to watch in the NHL and that's because we haven't had elite level talent up front for a while. When was the last time we had a forward prospect with elite skill? Spezza? It's been a while. I'd would still prefer RNH though.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2011, 01:08 PM
  #150
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,586
vCash: 500
I think people have to remember that Strome is still only 17 and has a lot of room to grow size wise too.

I dunno, I definitely see him being a big player in the NHL. I would say he's a lock to be a top 6 forward, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up scoring more points in his career than anyone else in his draft class.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.