HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kendal McArdle [cleared], Brendan Mikkelson [claimed - CGY]

Old
10-19-2010, 01:22 AM
MS

vCash: 500
Would be surprised to see McArdle claimed. He might still have '#1 pick' next to his name, but that was 5 years ago and he's done nothing to justify his draft position since.

Mikkelson, on the other hand, is a lock to get claimed, you'd think. He's looked solid for Anaheim this year and is clearly going to be a solid NHL defender in the long term. NHL size, solid mobility, thinks the game well and positionally solid. When you see some of the guys collecting NHL contracts right now, it's a no-brainer that someone will find room for him.

Hell, even a good team like San Jose is carrying a guy like Mike Moore as their 7th defender.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeane View Post
With Chicago sending Leddy and his $1.1 mil down, I could see them putting in a claim on Mikkelsson to replace Cullisuck
I don't think he'll last that long but it'd be a nice move to imagine. Anyone but Cullimore! I can't believe they have the nerve.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Would be surprised to see McArdle claimed. He might still have '#1 pick' next to his name, but that was 5 years ago and he's done nothing to justify his draft position since.

Mikkelson, on the other hand, is a lock to get claimed, you'd think. He's looked solid for Anaheim this year and is clearly going to be a solid NHL defender in the long term. NHL size, solid mobility, thinks the game well and positionally solid. When you see some of the guys collecting NHL contracts right now, it's a no-brainer that someone will find room for him.

Hell, even a good team like San Jose is carrying a guy like Mike Moore as their 7th defender.
Yeah, I'm not happy Murray put Mikkelson on waivers. He's played well in Anaheim. He was really coming into his own, and at 23 years old he looked like a good addition to the team. It seems like Murray is picking Brookbank over him, and that's a decision that just doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. Mikkelson has just been better.

It's possible he's trying to sneak Mikkelson through because he plans on having Brookbank as a 7th defenseman, and he wants to ensure Mikkelson gets ice time, in the AHL if not the NHL, but that seems risky. I'm going to be pretty peeved if Anaheim loses Mikkelson.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 02:15 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Yeah, I'm not happy Murray put Mikkelson on waivers. He's played well in Anaheim. He was really coming into his own, and at 23 years old he looked like a good addition to the team. It seems like Murray is picking Brookbank over him, and that's a decision that just doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. Mikkelson has just been better.

It's possible he's trying to sneak Mikkelson through because he plans on having Brookbank as a 7th defenseman, and he wants to ensure Mikkelson gets ice time, in the AHL if not the NHL, but that seems risky. I'm going to be pretty peeved if Anaheim loses Mikkelson.
Yeah, it's a weird situation.

The decision to lose a guy (and I'd be shocked if he isn't claimed) who is a clear long-term asset and shows every indication he'll be a solid NHL player, so that you can dress Sheldon Brookbank and a 36 y/o Andreas Lilja doesn't seem too bright.

Even if those guys are *marginally* better right now (which I don't think they are), you still work on developing the younger player given where that franchise is at.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 04:51 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yeah, it's a weird situation.

The decision to lose a guy (and I'd be shocked if he isn't claimed) who is a clear long-term asset and shows every indication he'll be a solid NHL player, so that you can dress Sheldon Brookbank and a 36 y/o Andreas Lilja doesn't seem too bright.

Even if those guys are *marginally* better right now (which I don't think they are), you still work on developing the younger player given where that franchise is at.
I'm not very inclined to call Murray "bright" right now. Not with the blue line he's put together. He's very lucky that Fowler has played as well as he has, because without that this blue line would be a complete disaster.

As you can see, I'm not too happy with our GM right now. The decision to put Mikkelson on waivers is just another log to add to the fire. If we lose Mikkelson, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen, it will be a pretty big log too.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 05:53 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

I'm completely dumbfounded at this move, Mikk is going to be a solid player for us, so they waive him? Unbelievable.

Though I guess we do have plenty of D prospects coming up;, likes of Mitera, Newton, Clark and Vatanen, so some of them must be getting closer to NHL ready

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:33 AM
The Big Foot

When do we hear? 12 est today or tomorrow? Hoping the Canucks take Mikkelson although I don't know how they'de squeeze him in...if he gets that far though, that's a lot of teams passing him, they could maybe get him down to Manitoba.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
When do we hear? 12 est today or tomorrow? Hoping the Canucks take Mikkelson although I don't know how they'de squeeze him in...if he gets that far though, that's a lot of teams passing him, they could maybe get him down to Manitoba.
Essentially if anyone claims him, he's gotta stay up with the big club.

Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:27 AM
gongshowmonkey

Calgary claimed Mikkelson

icemancometh Eric Stephens
Told by @PSCrunchHockey that D Brendan Mikkelson was claimed off waivers by Calgary.

gongshowmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshowmonkey View Post
Calgary claimed Mikkelson

icemancometh Eric Stephens
Told by @PSCrunchHockey that D Brendan Mikkelson was claimed off waivers by Calgary.
Say WHAT? Does this mean we are getting rid of the useless Staios?

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Shaun_W_W

I am surprised it's Calgary, maybe I should ignore it when their fans say how they have 9 top 4 dmen and another 16 bottom pairing dmen

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Say WHAT? Does this mean we are getting rid of the useless Staios?
Sadly no

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Walkingthroughforest
johnny be good

Thank you, this means the end of Staois in Calgary.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole435 View Post
More likely it means Brodie is back to the AHL and that we won't be seeing Pelech in the NHL this year.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:18 PM
DBU
Author Mode

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole435 View Post
That would be nice.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:20 PM
HemskyToHall*

lolstaios?

Who is gonna pick him up?

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:21 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Brodie to AHL, i guess. He's no ready for NHL action.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Brodie to AHL, i guess. He's no ready for NHL action.
Brodie to the AHL is not necessarily a bad thing right now. He's had a great camp and preseason but still needs to develop. Give him a year or so in the A and he'll be fine.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
mrdonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Brodie to the AHL is not necessarily a bad thing right now. He's had a great camp and preseason but still needs to develop. Give him a year or so in the A and he'll be fine.
Agreed, I want to see Brodie develop his game as Abbotsford's #1/2 dman. But please, for the love of God, NO MORE STAIOS!

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupSoup View Post
Ducks HAVE TO be making a move..
talking to the Leafs I hear about you know who for you know who

seriously though I can't really see them making a move this early and besides from the way I hear it Andy Sutton will be back in the first or second week of December

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

F

You

Murray!

I just don't understand the move. Waiving a 23 year old defenseman who has all the tools and is playing better than almost every other defenseman on the team sans Fowler(cue the Ducks' defense sucks jokes) is ridiculous. I'm interested to hear what Murray's agenda was in making this move. I think it was to make the Ducks' defense older, yet at the same time slower.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Tont

vCash: 366
Wow, this is very surprising but I can't say I'm not pleased.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
SaintMorose

Thank you Anahiem?

we were/are getting rather sick of Staios as our #6 if that isnt already apparent in this thread

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 01:54 PM
HighLifeMan

Nice!, Send Brodie down to abbotsford to help round his defensive game out for 1 or 2 years and have Staios in the press box.

From the sounds of things Mikkelson can be a very good player.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
lolstaios?

Who is gonna pick him up?
Sutter.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote