HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Plus/Minus: Pens win 5-2 vs Senators

Old
10-18-2010, 08:53 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500

according to the postgame show, gonchar was on the ice for all five penguins goals.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
according to the postgame show, gonchar was on the ice for all five penguins goals.
You hate to Gonch not do well and it's only early in the year, but all 5...

I hope he turns it around.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Snooki Stackhouse

Come on guise, I'm tired of waiting.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Not shocked . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lirit
Romans 8:31

+ The tuuuuuuuuube..

lirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooki Stackhouse View Post
Come on guise, I'm tired of waiting.
Snooki, what happened to your tan?

Old
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I didn't watch the game, but I can however tell you that I want to have Letestu's testube babies. And this is coming from a heterosexual male.

That's how I defy ordinary.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
KIRK

One point of caution: This was the Sens tonight, and they blow chunks right now. Let's see what happens against a pretty tough Nashville squad on Thursday.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

-Tangradi should be sent down once the wave of cake eaters get back. He has the talent, but he's not moving his feet, forcing turnovers, or looking comfortable in the D zone.

+Mark Letestu is staying put. Now he just needs PP time, though I fear at the expense of Kunitz. I just have liked Kunitz as a net-front presence. The points haven't come, but he's screened better than anyone on the team so far.

Snooki Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Sideline

+ Letestu: he can snipe, too! Are you kidding me? Again I'll say if he picks up a second gear over the summer you're looking at a +50 point player.

+ Crosby eff the goal did you see the compete level on D? That's the captain that will lead this team to a Cup.

+ HCDB for the PP. Hey, KIRK whatchya think about the PP set up this game?

+LeMartgoski. All quite good. Think about how steady this blueline will be once you add an elite shutdown pair...

+Malkin.

+Letestu again because he's a beast and a large part of what got Geno going.

Old
10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Not shocked . . .
Yup, I wonder how that extra year looks now...

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
+ Letestu: he can snipe, too! Are you kidding me? Again I'll say if he picks up a second gear over the summer you're looking at a +50 point player.

+ Crosby eff the goal did you see the compete level on D? That's the captain that will lead this team to a Cup.

+LeMartgoski. All quite good. Think about how steady this blueline will be once you add an elite shutdown pair...

+Malkin.

Sideline, I think the big move tonight with Letestu and Malkin was Tangradi out and Comrie in. When that happened, that's when you saw Letestu and Malkin clicking. I'm starting to warm to the idea of Comrie out and Staal in in a month or so and to a Letestu-Staal-Malkin line itself.

Old
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
-Tangradi should be sent down once the wave of cake eaters get back. He has the talent, but he's not moving his feet, forcing turnovers, or looking comfortable in the D zone.

+Mark Letestu is staying put. Now he just needs PP time, though I fear at the expense of Kunitz. I just have liked Kunitz as a net-front presence. The points haven't come, but he's screened better than anyone on the team so far.
That's what Kunitz did for the Ducks, and if you remember the one or two weeks before Guerin came in, that's exactly what he was doing for us.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Yup, I wonder how that extra year looks now...
Well, it's not as if Gonch didn't say he'd be inclined to pass to his old teammates. Granted, he didn't do that, but his coverage work tonight was just as good . . .

Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
posted this in the wrong thread by mistake -- moved it and the comments here.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Plus:
You'll all put the right guys up there, but I will just say PP.
This game was killed off early because the PP was very good in its second and third attempts. Lots of movement. Lots of shots, mostly smart plays. Something there to build on.

Minus:
Hutchinson. Not comfortable with him down there at all. Soft, doesn't pinch well, prone to giving away the puck. Hopefully Orpik can be back for the West swing where we're really going to get challenged by resurgent Nashville and St.Louis teams.
Tangradi: First disappointing match for Eric as far as I am concerned. He wasn't lousy, but he didn't win his battles, looked lost when given the chance on the PP and unfortunately without winning himself more time and space with the top guys, he could be a send-down risk, which I'd hate to see.
Backchecking. Lots of forwards stopped working hard when we had put the game away at 5-1. Ottawa could have numerous goals at the end of the second/all of the third if it wasn't for Johnson being as sharp as he is.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
KIRK

Anyone else notice that the PP tonight used a lot more of Letang on the left side and Malkin on the right side? And, curiously, the Pens got more shots on net, more pressure on the PK, and pressure . . .

Old
10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
ScOrpik

This is more of a plus on the season as a whole but:

Letestu, Kennedy, Tangradi, Comrie, etc can all perform on really any line theyve been put on

ScOrpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post

+Malkin.

It's funny because I did a little double take on that one, but then I figured when you're that close in, you're going to have a little velocity on your shot since it doesn't have that far to travel.

It's the ****ing post that got to me, because he did it against Philly too and I thought it was a fluke.

Old
ThosePuckingPenguins

+ Letestu. I will burn Bylsma's house down if he gets sent back down.
+ Crosby. That's the captain we've all wanted to see so far this season.
+ BJ. He's making it really hard for MAF to get his job back.
+ PP. 'Twas horrible on the first and last attempt but the two attempts that they've scored on was LETHAL. That's how the PP should always be.
+ TK. Can't believe everyone wanted him gone.

-Too many shots. We're missing two of our top defenseman but thankfully BJ was good enough to save 32 out of 34.
-To the people who gave up on the season last week. Not saying we won't go through another bad stretch but some of you guys were unbearable on here.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
ProdigalOne*

Malkin still looks bad to me, but hes getting the points at least.
Letestu is amazing as always, same with Johnson.
Kennedy was all over the place tonight and seemed to get a chance every shift. Who wanted him waived again? Step forward please.
Crosby was the best hes been all year.
The powerplay ACTUALLY shot for once at least in the first 8 shots on the first 2 powerplays i believe... the third it seemed back to its old self though.
Letang looks like a Rock back there now.... he is making less blunders and smarter decisions as the games go by it seems.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Sideline, I think the big move tonight with Letestu and Malkin was Tangradi out and Comrie in. When that happened, that's when you saw Letestu and Malkin clicking. I'm starting to warm to the idea of Comrie out and Staal in in a month or so and to a Letestu-Staal-Malkin line itself.
My only serious quibble with that is you're putting one of our best faceoff men on the wing.

My current thinking is rolling with Comrie Letestu Malkin and slotting Staal back on L3 might make sense. The justification of moving Malkin to the wing was to create a dangerous L2 offence even if it made L3 less dangerous. Well now we have a dangerous L2 offence AND the option of keeping our killer L3.

Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Once again, I just haven't been sold on the kid. The tools are there, but he's still a bit raw and can benefit from another season down in WBS. It has nothing to do with his statistical output either, but rather by the fact that he doesn't look 100% comfortable out there just yet.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:09 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

Great first half of the game, terrible second half.

Two good powerplays, two appalling ones. They looked pretty good in transition, and there was some better passing going on. Credit to Goligoski and Letang getting pucks on net and some soild net presence up front. They were able to open up the trapezoid area infront of the net in the first period and a half, which they haven't done all season and the chances came in volumes, which also hadn't been the case so far.

From the goalie change however, our only two scoring chances were Matt Cooke poking at a puck that kind of fluttered in the air which Lehner grabbed and a kind-of-break by Talbot where he drew the Gonchar penalty while shorthanded, but I don't think he even got the puck to the goal. Thats pretty disappointing for 30 minutes of hockey against a reeling opponent, I don't care what the score is. Transitionally they still looked decent later in the game, but they lost too many battles whenever they did try and get some kind of cycle going.

Defensively there was a lot of running around, and in front of the net, whether we're playing positionally or trying to move the puck out of danger, some of our guys just don't have a clue. We were really getting dictated to more and more as the game went on.

Brent Johnson stopped this from being a 5-4 game, I think.

Last edited by clefty: 10-18-2010 at 09:17 PM.
clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Ugene Malkin
****!

This is pretty much it.

Everyone gets a plus tonight.

+
+
+
+