Notices

Here's a little more salt...

Old
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Here's a little more salt...

So after watching the Vikings lose again, & the Twins get swept, I figured I'd be a little ray of sunshine & post the newest NHL power rankings!

We're 30th out of 30!! SCORE! Those other 29 teams better watch out because we're one hell of an underdog now! haha

But in all seriousness, it's week one, I'm not too concerned... Actually let me re-word that, I have VERY low expectations for this season, I mean like I'm expecting to go like 15-60-7 or something... Unless there's a major shake-up or change, I just don't see us as having that same fire that alot of the other teams have, Even other teams that are losing still seem more organized & to be fighting harder for all 60 mins... Maybe I'm way off base & I hope I am but I'm looking at the Wild as kind of a novelty this year, laugh when we lose, laugh more when we win... I figure that way any better we do I can only be pleasantly surprised as opposed to terribly disapointed...

Anyway, here's the links to the 2 power rankings... To be a little more upbeat, we were only ranked 30th by CBS, we're ranked 26th by the associated press...

CBS Rankings:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/1...first-week/rss

Associated Press:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...g5.html?cat=14

Tidbits:

Quote:
"The countdown on coach Todd Richards' future has begun."

Quote:
"Someone should tell the Minnesota Wild that NHL games last 60 minutes, not 30. In their European series with the Carolina Hurricanes, the Minnesota Wild shut down both times midway through the game despite strong starts."

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Personally I love that everyone picks us last. If they're right, we get Larsson. If they're wrong, I love the underdog showing up the critics.

I just can't get how someone, even after two games, puts us behind Anaheim who are 0-3 and have a -11 goal differential.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:19 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Personally I love that everyone picks us last.
I'll agree with this, but for different reasons. I love it because the bad press is getting us closer and closer to having a new head coach.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I'll agree with this, but for different reasons. I love it because the bad press is getting us closer and closer to having a new head coach.
Right now the head coach is a small part of the problem.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Personally I love that everyone picks us last. If they're right, we get Larsson. If they're wrong, I love the underdog showing up the critics.
Psh! If they're right we get Sean Couturier.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Psh! If they're right we get Sean Couturier.
Me agrees wif dis!

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:15 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Right now the head coach is a small part of the problem.
True. But it's also the easiest problem to fix, and the one most likely to have the side effect of fixing many of the other problems.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

With Minnesota sports teams luck in the lottery we'll probably end up with the 3rd or 4th pick if we finish last. Or is there a rule where if you finish last you can't fall out of the top 2? I forget.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Only one team gets chosen for the lottery so no team can move down more than one spot. Teams can also only move up five spots so that's the rationale as to why the 30th place team has a 50% chance of winning the top pick.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:03 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
True. But it's also the easiest problem to fix, and the one most likely to have the side effect of fixing many of the other problems.
But it's a bandaid fix. Are we just going to rotate through coaches because they can't work with what we give them?

Old
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
With Minnesota sports teams luck in the lottery we'll probably end up with the 3rd or 4th pick if we finish last. Or is there a rule where if you finish last you can't fall out of the top 2? I forget.
If you finish 30th in the standings, the worst you can pick is 2nd overall, if another team wins the lottery pick over you.

So in that instance, it'd be Couturier or Larsson. Good problem to have for whoever ends up at the bottom.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
If you finish 30th in the standings, the worst you can pick is 2nd overall, if another team wins the lottery pick over you.

So in that instance, it'd be Couturier or Larsson. Good problem to have for whoever ends up at the bottom.
Yeah, maybe a bit early to say, but Couturier & Larsson are looking like a Stamkos & Doughty draft. Wild need offense, but I wouldn't be heartbroken ending up with Larsson. I think he's going to beast and end up a top 3-5 D-man in the league <knocks on wood>

Old
10-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Yeah, maybe a bit early to say, but Couturier & Larsson are looking like a Stamkos & Doughty draft. Wild need offense, but I wouldn't be heartbroken ending up with Larsson. I think he's going to beast and end up a top 3-5 D-man in the league <knocks on wood>
Whoever ends up there, it's a good problem to have. I don't know much about either, either than little blurbs here and there, but I'd be happy to have either based on the little bit I've heard.

Who knows, though? Things could shake down a dozen different ways this season.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:03 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Either or would help our prospect base. We finally have some solid prospects coming through, Granlund being one of them. And adding a guy like Larsson or Couturier would be insanely awesome.

Old
10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
saywut

Well, we saw Chuck Fletcher help out the Bruins last year, maybe he'll help out the Devils this year to give his team a jolt? Zubrus? Salvador? White? Which one are we going to give up our 2012 2nd + for Chuck?

I certainly wouldn't put us 30th, but 25 or so would be about right. Considering our cap situation that is very underwhelming, and shows terrible management.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post

I certainly wouldn't put us 30th, but 25 or so would be about right. Considering our cap situation that is very underwhelming, and shows terrible management.
Nail and hammer.

Personally, given that the draft this year is in Minnesota, it would be great to at least get a second franchise player in that draft. Nugent Hopkins!

Old
10-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Nail and hammer.

Personally, given that the draft this year is in Minnesota, it would be great to at least get a second franchise player in that draft. Nugent Hopkins!
Is anyone willing to wager a bet that if the Wild end up with him that Cat Scratch Fever (or Stranglehold) will be blasted over the PA every time he scores a goal (this is also assuming they get rid of the oh so cheesy "crowd chant" song)?

Old
10-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If we take Nugent-Hopkins would we ask him to drop the first last name so he can be like a hometown kid?

Old
10-13-2010, 10:11 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
If we take Nugent-Hopkins would we ask him to drop the first last name so he can be like a hometown kid?
I think you'd have to anyway because hyphenated names look ridiculous on sweaters.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:16 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Is anyone willing to wager a bet that if the Wild end up with him that Cat Scratch Fever (or Stranglehold) will be blasted over the PA every time he scores a goal (this is also assuming they get rid of the oh so cheesy "crowd chant" song)?
i like the idea of personalized goal songs, actually.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:46 AM
BigT2002

I don't know. Right now it kind of feels like we are though so I can't complain. Thanks to Center Ice, I've watched both Edmonton and the Isles play (two teams I think most hockey experts and writers had at 15th in the respective conferences), and they were playing a lot better than we were looking over 60 minutes.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Dudicles

Dating back to the last 2-3 years Jacques was coaching the Wild, I thing the worst aspect of the team has been the lack of energy/emotion/fire/effort/drive/however you choose to describe it. You watch the Wild play a game, then you watch other teams play and it just seems like night and day in terms of playing hard.

I think it's worse to lose a game because of lack of effort than to lose because of lack of talent.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think you'd have to anyway because hyphenated names look ridiculous on sweaters.
Hey now...wait...I don't even know a hyphenated name

Old
10-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

More brilliance from NHL.com:

Our top line is...

Quote:
Minnesota Wild:

Andrew Brunette – Mikko Koivu – Martin Havlat

Trouble in paradise. Unable to find a solution to the offensive production, considering Martin Havlat has yet to live up to his contract and no one else on the team has been able to find their scoring touch, the Minnesota Wild find themselves in a position to be one of the bottom teams in the Western Conference this year.

Projections for the 2010-11 season:

Mikko Koivu – GP 80 G 30 A 36 PTS 66
Antti Miettenen – GP 77 G 22 A 30 PTS 52
Martin Havlat – GP 72 G 20 A 28 PTS 48

Old
10-14-2010, 01:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well on the plus side at least Koivu's putting up six more goals than anyone expects.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote