Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR fan on Boogaard

Old
10-17-2010, 07:19 PM
redfzn

vCash: 500
NYR fan on Boogaard

Not sure if this has thread has been posted before here but what's this guy's deal?

Yes, he's vastly overpaid (given) and he's a terrible hockey player but he doesn't seem like the same player (tough guy) he was for you guys in Minn. I have yet to see a bone rattling hit and he has yet to find a dance partner to square off with. Alls I've seen him do is spear Ott's Neil in preseason- well that and actually score a goal (also in preseason).

I haven't seen much Wild games in the past so I come to you guys for a more educated opinion on what's going on with this tree. Perhaps coach Torts has him on a leash?

Last edited by redfzn: 10-17-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:28 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Someone did when the Rangers signed him (it's here if you want to look), but to answer your question the main problem Minnesota had in justifying his presence last season was that few people would fight him. Boogaard still has a mean rep and will go out of his way (for better or for worse) to destroy someone on the ice, but the dropping the gloves aspect hasn't been there as much. Due to that, sometimes it became an issue with the team's depth (or lack of it) to carry Boogaard on the fourth line. I haven't seen the Rangers play this year so it's hard to comment on whether or not Boogaard is being used well by Torts, but hopefully those help.

p.s. I'm sorry to hear about Gaborik.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Prediction: Boogaard leads NYR in scoring during Gabby's absence.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AS74 View Post
well that's a bold prediction.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:56 PM
melinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
Not sure if this has thread has been posted before here but what's this guy's deal?

Yes, he's vastly overpaid (given) and he's a terrible hockey player but he doesn't seem like the same player (tough guy) he was for you guys in Minn. I have yet to see a bone rattling hit and he has yet to find a dance partner to square off with. Alls I've seen him do is spear Ott's Neil in preseason- well that and actually score a goal (also in preseason).

I haven't seen much Wild games in the past so I come to you guys for a more educated opinion on what's going on with this tree. Perhaps coach Torts has him on a leash?
I haven't watched any rangers games this year either but his last 2 years in MN his role was reduced.

No one will fight Boogaard anymore, the last real bigtime fight of his I remember was when he broke Fedoruk's face. He never really was a great hitter because he misses to often, but when he connects the guy is crushed. He will eventually connect on some big hits but I wouldn't expect him to start getting in a bunch of fights.

He never really played any meaningful time on the Wild. It was fun to have a guy that could really lay a beatdown on the team but i'm glad hes gone to be honest.

People who don't watch him every night expect too much out of him, he isn't a player that knocks someone out whenever they do something questionable. They base their opinion of him based on his highlight reel.

Last edited by melinko: 10-17-2010 at 08:05 PM.
melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 07:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS74 View Post
Wait, so Gaborik isn't hurt?

Old
10-17-2010, 07:58 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Boogaard was never one to have many bone crushing hits. I mean, he had a few here and there and likely on a back-check catching some poor soul with their head down digging for the puck. But it's not as if he was much of a factor on a consistent basis during a game in this department.

As for fighting, it was discussed here ad nauseum around here but with the lack of true heavies league wide; made even smaller by the fact even fewer of those heavies are willing to dance with Boogaard, it's hard to really justify a spot in an everyday line-up for him.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:31 PM
PookDo

I'm waiting for the Boogard vs Chara match at next years Wrestlemania

PookDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Surly Furious

One guy that had Boogie's number was Eric Godard, who I believe plays for Pittsburgh now. Maybe you'll get to watch Boogaard get clocked the next time you play the Pens.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 09:43 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
it is a documented fact that boogaard was warned by bettman a couple years ago that he would be watched closely (despite at this point never having received a suspension). He, Tootoo, and Hollweg were all singled out with a "watch yourself" message. I'm sure that still stands no matter how long has passed and whichever division they move to.

Fair or unfair this does limit what he can do on the ice because he will never get the benefit of the doubt. Hell, he got a 5 min major a couple years ago for hitting the boards next to someone because they felt it was an attempt at a charge.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 07:12 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

In case anyone wants to watch Boogaard, the Rangers are on Versus right now.

Old
10-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
well that's a bold prediction.
Well, he's overdue for a breakout season.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Well, he's overdue for a breakout season.
Are we talking 3 goals, or 4?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Are we talking 3 goals, or 4?
He could double his career total with 2 goals this year? Or does he have 3?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He seems to have gotten slower or something, as he rarely makes contact on hits anymore. Nobody wants to fight him. And he's got a bad habit of getting his knee out and elbows up. Still don't miss him, even if Staubitz is only marginally better. I'd kinda like to see Kassian up instead of him, but what can you do.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 06:20 AM
IHCWS

Hi, im a nyr fan and i like boogey...he plays only 1-2 min per game and they say his skating is really bad...what du u guys here think about him, how many mins per game did he play for the wild?

IHCWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Between 3 and 5, I think. But Lemaire loved him. He can't skate, can't hit, can't shoot, can't pass, can't stickhandle...but the 5 fights a year he gets in are fun to watch. I don't miss him.

Old
10-21-2010, 01:09 PM
The Big E

Weight

Boogie dropped around 15 lbs for what turned out to be his rookie season. From 265 to 250. At 6'7" that was pretty skinny. He blew everyone away that training camp in that he was skating pretty decently.

For him to play well ... and I mean in his 2-5 minutes per game ... he needs to be very svelte otherwise it just takes forever for him to get going or change direction.

What was fun about watching Boogie fight is that he'd stand there and take some punches to wear his opponent out a bit then start dishing.

I agree w/ the other posters that the refs were watching him closely ... as in 2 minutes for glaring ... and that nobody will fight him anymore.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:55 PM
jraider66

Boogaard

I never really minded Boogaard being around here. I definitely saw the negatives when noone would fight him anymore and he started getting called for every hit that he actually connected on. So I didn't mind him leaving at all, especially for the money he ended up getting.

It might be all in my head but I would say that the most positive thing towards the end was that sometimes the opposition seemed to be so wary of him when he was out there that he actually created space and scoring chances by distracting the other team to the point they would lose their concentration. I think it was towards the beginning of the season last year when I saw him hit someone in the corner not paying attention so hard I literally thought he might have killed the guy.

jraider66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:11 PM
se7en
infamous...

So I just got back from New York & I saw 2 Rangers games at the Garden while I was there, here's my thoughts on Booger...

Booger was brought in by Torts to protect Gabby & other star players... Well as you may have seen in the home opener, that really didn't pan out to well because Gabby took a dirty hit & is now out 3 to 4 with a seperated shoulder...

Everyone here already explained the issues with Booger so I won't get into that but what I will say is this...

I think Booger can actually be an effective player IF and that's a big if a coach is willing to take a big risk on him postionally... I think the first coach to take him & park him right in front of the net is going to get some good use out of him. He is big & powerful enough to infuriate goalies & D with his immovable stature & he has the ability to knock in some garbage goals being that close..

The reason he seems useless is because he's slow & lacking the offensive skills that even the most mediocre forwards possess... Now don't get me wrong, I love Boogey but like everyone else said already, he has a rep now. No one really wants to mess with fighting him anymore & most opposing coaches know how to shift their lines to make him ineffective...

Like I mentioned, I think if a coach is willing to send him out & park him right in front of the net, you'll see Booger get a few goals & assists this season. Especially if you maybe put him on the second PP unit.. It's risky but it's the only real way you're going to get much use out him these days...

I watched him skate closely, I hate to say it but he's slow & oafish... if he can't hit or fight like he used to, he's kind of dead weight, but he'll make 1 hell of a screen and he'll rile up some D-men & goalies if a coach will utilize his size in the right way. Use him right & you'll be happy with him!

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
BigT2002

Wasn't worth the roster spot for only 2 minutes a game and 2 minutes of PK time per game. Met him a handful of times since he was engaged (don't know if they still are, pretty sure that got broken off) to one of the girls I went to HS with. Great dude to be around and hilarious. But even some of my friends could outwork him on the ice, and they were still in college at the time. He knew what his role was and without Gaborik to protect, he was a fat kid who was all alone after eating the last cupcake.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lemaire tried him in front of the goalie, he was a great screen but he never stuck. And there was the Foster goal that grazed his leg that almost was Boogey's goal.

If he were to drop some weight and be able to get in front of the net, he could be slightly effective...as it is he's too slow to get into position. And of course, you can't hit guys along the boards if you're going to the net (why Clutter isn't great on the second line).

Old
10-21-2010, 04:10 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I was under the impression that torts would be using boogaard more than he'd been used under lemaire and he might do better there. He's being used less, which sucks for him and rangers fans as there is absolutely no chance of Boogaard getting to display any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Throwing him out for 5 minutes a night and you have a fairly good chance of seeing him level someone. 2 minutes? damn.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I was under the impression that torts would be using boogaard more than he'd been used under lemaire and he might do better there. He's being used less, which sucks for him and rangers fans as there is absolutely no chance of Boogaard getting to display any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Throwing him out for 5 minutes a night and you have a fairly good chance of seeing him level someone. 2 minutes? damn.
My guess is that Sather thought he'd look fine and Torts saw him in camp and disagreed.

Either that, or he's still fighting the back injury.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:56 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

There was exactly one time I was glad to have the Boogeyman on the Wild:

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote