HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Knight

vCash: 450
Ordered some mystery sticks today! Oh boy oh boy oh boy. I have zero experience with sticks besides the only one I have, so I figure that this was a good idea.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
It's been a while since I have checked in too!
I've changed teams now, gone from playing with a basic beginners team to playing with the local RAF team. Its quite a big jump in ability so sadly I am getting no game Ice time but it should progress me loads. I have started up skating lessons to try and improve my edge control and speed but I really need to sort out my balance when shooting. Sadly I don't get enough Ice Time in full kit with stick and puck to really spend any major time practicing
I am improving but really needing the ice time at the moment, hopefully should be going on a 3 day course held by one of the top british forwards this coming Summer, its a long way off but hopefully it should really help!
RAF? What kind of league is that? Is it more of a beer league or an intramural type league?

Old
11-27-2011, 09:32 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
I'm looking for the Vapor XXXX for cheap but they seem to have stopped producing/selling them. By what stick has it been replaced?

it was replaced by the vapor x60 and that was replaced by the vapor apx

Old
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
it was replaced by the vapor x60 and that was replaced by the vapor apx
small correction...the x60 was actually replaced by the vapor x7.0. the apx is a new standalone model (kind of like how the the new x7.0 skate is essentially the old x60.)

Old
11-28-2011, 12:42 AM
AndreD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
RAF? What kind of league is that? Is it more of a beer league or an intramural type league?
RAF for Royal Air Force - tecnically they are just recreational teams although they are better than a lot of the rec teams in this country for obvious reasons. There aren't many around though and one of them is where I am. Organised beer leagues don't exist in this country - there are individual rec teams and if you want to play in a league you have to put it together with other teams yourself and inform the EIHA (English Ice Hockey Association)

Old
11-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Maccas

Yup, just a recreational team but the reason I joined them was because they are pretty fitness focussed and to be honest I found it much more fun doing a training session which was well organised and made me work hard!
The team that I have joined do play in a few competitions though many of them are inter-forces ones (against army, navy etc) so unfortunately I am ineligible to play as I am a civilian.
They are a great laugh though and the level is much higher than what I was playing before, they have a few guys from the USAF who are really good. I've learnt a lot from just watching those guys play.

Old
11-28-2011, 06:19 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
small correction...the x60 was actually replaced by the vapor x7.0. the apx is a new standalone model (kind of like how the the new x7.0 skate is essentially the old x60.)

while true, the APX is the replacement stick for the X60. with upgrades, like how the total one is the upgrade from the One95. by your logic the vapor 7.0 is the x60 just rebranded. as for replaced, the APX is still the top of the line Bauer stick

Last edited by hyster110: 11-28-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old
11-28-2011, 10:26 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
while true, the APX is the replacement stick for the X60. with upgrades, like how the total one is the upgrade from the One95. by your logic the vapor 7.0 is the x60 just rebranded. as for replaced, the APX is still the top of the line Bauer stick
uh, yeah, it is. even the bauer reps will tell you that. and no, the apx is not a replacement for the x60...it's a new "upper" standalone model...like the totalone was a new "upper" standalone model. the replacement for the one95 was the one100(skates and sticks).

if you don't trust me, go over to msh and see what those guys tell you.

Old
11-28-2011, 12:10 PM
AndreD

Quote:
They are a great laugh though and the level is much higher than what I was playing before, they have a few guys from the USAF who are really good. I've learnt a lot from just watching those guys play.
Out of curiosity where do you skate because the RAF bluewings train at this rink here and I play for the university team - having been playing for less than a year it really does help to be training with a team that is much better than you. I improved more in 2 months with the university than 8 with a rec team, shame about the games though.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:17 AM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreD View Post
Out of curiosity where do you skate because the RAF bluewings train at this rink here and I play for the university team - having been playing for less than a year it really does help to be training with a team that is much better than you. I improved more in 2 months with the university than 8 with a rec team, shame about the games though.
I play with the RAF Eastern Crusade down in Peterborough, to be honest the games doesn't really worry me so much as it gives me the motivation to really improve myself so I feel like I can contribute, I don't want to be a plug!

Old
11-29-2011, 10:30 AM
AndreD

By any chance was the team you played on before the predators? If it was I played you half a year ago

Old
11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Maccas

haha it was indeed!
What team were you playing for?

Old
11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
El Tigre Chino

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
uh, yeah, it is. even the bauer reps will tell you that. and no, the apx is not a replacement for the x60...it's a new "upper" standalone model...like the totalone was a new "upper" standalone model. the replacement for the one95 was the one100(skates and sticks).

if you don't trust me, go over to msh and see what those guys tell you.
Actually the APX is pretty much the Vapor X60 with the power 3 core from the total one and a new resin which makes it more durable. The Vapor X7.0 isnt the same as the X60 because it doesnt have the textreme weave but does use the monocomp technology and lighter carbon constructions. The X6.0 is the exact same as the X50. So the Vapor X7.0 is just bridging the gap between the top of the line and the second tier sticks.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:27 PM
AndreD

Quote:
haha it was indeed!
What team were you playing for?
I played on the Oxford Shooting Stars for the first 6 months I was playing hockey. It was a good beginner team but I spend so much time around hockey and have learnt a lot more by playing with the university even if competitive full contact hockey after eight months was quite scary.

Old
11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Magic View Post
Actually the APX is pretty much the Vapor X60 with the power 3 core from the total one and a new resin which makes it more durable. The Vapor X7.0 isnt the same as the X60 because it doesnt have the textreme weave but does use the monocomp technology and lighter carbon constructions. The X6.0 is the exact same as the X50. So the Vapor X7.0 is just bridging the gap between the top of the line and the second tier sticks.

can we all agree that

the Vapor XXXX was the top of the line stick

the next top of the line stick was the X60, and that was followed by the APX

Old
11-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreD View Post
I played on the Oxford Shooting Stars for the first 6 months I was playing hockey. It was a good beginner team but I spend so much time around hockey and have learnt a lot more by playing with the university even if competitive full contact hockey after eight months was quite scary.
Ahhh unfortunately that was a game I missed. The preds have such a large roster (about 60 players) that getting ice time for games was always fairly tough unless you were good (not me at that point!). Checking hockey does make such a difference though, I have done a few sessions with the local Checking rec team (Peterborough Pheonix) and straight away it taught me to keep my head up as those guys really aren't afraid to hit!

Old
12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Its good to hear there's actual beer leagues in England.

I'll be moving to London in 5ish years and I'd hate to give up hockey.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:09 AM
AndreD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Its good to hear there's actual beer leagues in England.

I'll be moving to London in 5ish years and I'd hate to give up hockey.
The word 'league' isn't quite right here unfortunately. There are definitely individual teams which you can train and play with and these teams organise games against other teams but there is a lack of any organised structure to this. Some times teams may host a short tournament or try to arrange a 'cup competition' (which is basically a league but not called it for cost reasons) but this has to be all organised by the teams themselves.

Anyway there is more information about where teams and rinks are in the UK here: http://www.eiharec.co.uk/index2.html

Old
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Yeah, I heard the teams in UK actually have coaches and proper full rosters rolling 4 lines, 3 pairings and 2 goalies. Beer leagues on the other hand... We'd have a player coach at most, and most of the times a 15 man roster would be great already.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Yeah, I heard the teams in UK actually have coaches and proper full rosters rolling 4 lines, 3 pairings and 2 goalies. Beer leagues on the other hand... We'd have a player coach at most, and most of the times a 15 man roster would be great already.
Some teams do, some teams don't.
A general average would be 3 Forward lines, 2 or 3 D-pairings and then 1 or maybe 2 Goalies.
Even the top leagues in the UK don't really run with NHL style rosters, my local team (Peterborough Phantoms) are currently rolling 3 forward lines, 2 D-pairings and then Goalie and a backup and this is fairly common for most teams below the Elite league (top league)

But yeah generally rec teams over here will have about a 15 man roster for game days but normally have many more than that as members of the club, I think my current one has about 20 people but as mentioned my previous team had almost 60 people on the books.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
ArrogantOwl

Very upset, my hockey career was basically snuffed out before it even began. I over-pronate anywhere from 1/4-3/8s of an inch on both feet and my left foot is about a quarter size larger than my right. On top of that, I have flat feet. And I'm only 15 so customs are out of the question.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I finally scored my first goal of my hockey career during game number 7! It's a great feeling. I knew a goal was coming because I've put so many shots on net and had many great opportunties throughout the season. Just a bit snake bitten. Maybe I'll score more soon. Although we got schelakced as a team, 8-2...

Our team isn't very good, and I have a feeling our league is going to move us down a division, which will be a good thing. We tend to get beaten every game.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I finally scored my first goal of my hockey career during game number 7! It's a great feeling. I knew a goal was coming because I've put so many shots on net and had many great opportunties throughout the season. Just a bit snake bitten. Maybe I'll score more soon. Although we got schelakced as a team, 8-2...

Our team isn't very good, and I have a feeling our league is going to move us down a division, which will be a good thing. We tend to get beaten every game.
Grats! I scored my first goals a couple weeks ago and it feels great. That's a milestone worth celebrating by popping a can of cold one. Cheers.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Maccas

I got some great news today.
I've recently started a job with the ministry of justice over here and after chatting with a couple of people in the know I have been invited to train and play with the Prison service's Ice Hockey team next year, including possibly if I can improve enough playing in the World Police and Fire games in Belfast next year (and hopefully around the world in the years following!!)
I've now got to work as hard as possible and get as much ice time as possible to improve as much as I can.
Just bought Howtohockey's Stickhandling guide and booked a load more skating lessons. I'm starting to get really motivated again now!

Old
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post

congrats Stories! potting your first goal is always a good feeling. especially when your team is collectively playing tougher teams. from here out, dont overthink it. thats when you grip the stick too tight and you start shooting wide or into the goalies chest. stay calm out there and try to think a little ahead. keep it up!

Quote:
I got some great news today.
I've recently started a job with the ministry of justice over here and after chatting with a couple of people in the know I have been invited to train and play with the Prison service's Ice Hockey team next year, including possibly if I can improve enough playing in the World Police and Fire games in Belfast next year (and hopefully around the world in the years following!!)
I've now got to work as hard as possible and get as much ice time as possible to improve as much as I can.
Just bought Howtohockey's Stickhandling guide and booked a load more skating lessons. I'm starting to get really motivated again now!
way to go Maccas! if i would be getting an opportunity to travel the world while playing hockey, id be all over it. good on ya!

Closed Thread