HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 02:44 AM
dwreckm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer99 View Post
30 year old in buffalo. Never played before, just bought skates, reebok 6k. been out 5 times now to open skates. I have so much work ahead of me. Can skate ok. Can not stop. Backwards sucks. Dont really know where to start as far as playing. Don't really have any idea what programs are available here. Besides I dont have any other equipment now and can't really afford it yet. Still love getting on the ice and skating.
Same boat. Just keep going to open skates as much as you can, practice makes perfect. Also, find out the rinks in your area, and see if they have websites. There are three rinks within about 30 miles of me, and they all post their schedules online, it's how I found out about some open shinnys (adult novice level) to skate in.

Also, if you can't be on ice, you can always practice your stick handling and shooting with a large shooting mat.

Old
02-10-2012, 08:37 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer99 View Post
30 year old in buffalo. Never played before, just bought skates, reebok 6k. been out 5 times now to open skates. I have so much work ahead of me. Can skate ok. Can not stop. Backwards sucks. Dont really know where to start as far as playing. Don't really have any idea what programs are available here. Besides I dont have any other equipment now and can't really afford it yet. Still love getting on the ice and skating.
If you can't stop and are struggling with skating backwards I view it as a good thing that you don't have equipment yet to play.

Skate as much as you can and learn to stop on at least one side before you start playing. There are a ton of people who started playing hockey long after you and have enjoyed many years of hockey.

I started playing organized ice hockey at 28 and I'm 30 now. I make sure I get on the ice at least twice a week and I play year round. 2 summers ago when I started my Instructional class I would have never thought I would have gotten as far as I have, but as of right now I play at low C level. I could not imagine my life without hockey. I know it seems like a long road, but if you work hard you will love it and be hooked for life.

Old
02-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Thesensation19

My tips to improve your skating resides on both ice and off ice.

Ice...
Get on it, simply put. Get use to it with and without equipment, with and without a stick.
Do circles, figure 8's, backwards. The best way is to do it.
1) Balance on one leg, and push off with the other. Keep control and balance on that same leg and get use to the feeling of being on that one leg. Switch legs.
2) Practice your stopping and going.

Off ice
As important I really believe.
Work on your quads and your hip adductors.
Work on your balance and knees and foot joints.
Hills, sprints, squats...

Old
02-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Thesensation19

If you do a core work out for one hour a week... on top of your hockey games or whatever...

I guarantee you all will grow as a player... Now imagine you all do it 3x a week... 4x a week?

30 minute work outs to strengthen and build up your core (legs, back and abs) 3-5x a week. Not only will it be a healthy routine but it will improve your skating and balance.

Just put it this way. Every 30 minutes you put into a week of work outs you will be a better player.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I scored my first hat trick in yesterday's game! All in the 2nd period, too

1st goal: on an amazing shift, we kept the puck in our zone for what seemed like 2 minutes. Probably 6-7 shots on that shift alone. I was in the front of the net, and the puck was passed to me, shot it, save. Shot the rebound, save. On the third shot, finally lifted it up above the blocker. Awesome shift all the way around.

2nd goal: I was at the red line at center ice, my defense man made a stretch pass to my side of the ice. I go towards the center of the ice with the puck, and then go around the defenseman to the left and cut towards the center of the ice again after beating the d-man, and then shoot 5 hole to score my second goal.

3rd goal: Creep in behind the d-man on the breakout receive a pass from my center and rush in for a breakaway. Goalie plays standing up and I beat him 5 hole again.

Hat trick sure feels good.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
LukeG
Rookie User

Hey everyone, I'm a 23 year old living in southeast Kansas and new to the forum. I've been a hockey fan since I could walk, but because of where I live, I've never had the chance to play (the closest rink is a 2-hour drive from here). Actually, last year was the first time I ever ice skated. I can skate just fine for a beginner. Cross-overs are no problem, although skating backwards and stopping quickly is still pretty difficult.

This past October, my wife and I were blessed with our first child. I work as a computer programmer and it's my hope to snag a job somewhere more hockey-friendly within the next few years that will give both my son and I a chance to play the game I grew up loving to watch.

As you can imagine, the wait is killing me. Hockey isn't even on TV here unless you have one of the more expensive packages. Any ideas to help me pass the time? (Being part of the forum should help a lot)

Old
02-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeG View Post
Hey everyone, I'm a 23 year old living in southeast Kansas and new to the forum. I've been a hockey fan since I could walk, but because of where I live, I've never had the chance to play (the closest rink is a 2-hour drive from here). Actually, last year was the first time I ever ice skated. I can skate just fine for a beginner. Cross-overs are no problem, although skating backwards and stopping quickly is still pretty difficult.

This past October, my wife and I were blessed with our first child. I work as a computer programmer and it's my hope to snag a job somewhere more hockey-friendly within the next few years that will give both my son and I a chance to play the game I grew up loving to watch.

As you can imagine, the wait is killing me. Hockey isn't even on TV here unless you have one of the more expensive packages. Any ideas to help me pass the time? (Being part of the forum should help a lot)
One way to watch games is through NHL Gamecenter: https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/secure/gclsignup

Although I would wait for next season. It's best to get the whole season.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
LukeG
Rookie User

We used to actually get games on TV here when I was a kid. I grew up watching Lemieux and Jagr and have been a Pens fan ever since.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
dwreckm

Got my first one timer goal last night! Was playing right wing, and we were in the offensive zone about to transition back to neutral, but the left wing was doing some amazing forechecking and got the puck back. I was attempting to screen on the right side of the crease, and he fed me from the left circle. As the goalie attempt to slide over I slapped it through the five hole.

Old
02-19-2012, 06:07 AM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreckm View Post
Got my first one timer goal last night! Was playing right wing, and we were in the offensive zone about to transition back to neutral, but the left wing was doing some amazing forechecking and got the puck back. I was attempting to screen on the right side of the crease, and he fed me from the left circle. As the goalie attempt to slide over I slapped it through the five hole.
Congrats dude!
The one-timer is something I really need to work on, when I am having a good day my wrist shot is passable but I really have no slapshot whatsoever which is really quite frustrating!

Old
02-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Justin65

I was directed to this thread through a google search. I think it's great that all these new folks to hockey are supporting each other. I just played my first ever pickup game today and figured I should share my story.

My name's Justin, I'm 19 and I was born and raised in North Carolina. Despite having an NHL team and an ECHL, now AHL team in my state, the south isn't the best place for hockey. My parents didn't come from a hockey playing area either and until recently I never enjoyed skating. In fact, I hated it. I took a bad fall when I was little and honestly dreaded going to skating rinks for field trips and birthday parties. A couple of years ago, though, I started watching Hurricanes games on TV. We weren't and still aren't that good, but I fell in love with hockey and eventually realized that I wanted to play.

I thought that I wouldn't start learning until after I got done with college but a few changes happened in the last year that got me to take up the sport. I ended up joining my state's Air National Guard Wing in October and had some spare cash and a lot of free time on my hands. I figured I needed a winter sport to stay fit for work and had the time to devote to learning hockey so I went down to a rink and signed up for skating lessons. I absolutely loved every minute I spent on the ice and started getting together the equipment I needed for hockey. The only thing I didn't enjoy so much was that there aren't any courses geared to adults wanting to play hockey that I could take part in due to my schedule so I was and still might be stuck with kids.

Finally, last week I signed up for a hockey learn to play program that also has more adults involved. Then, last week my mom took me to dinner with a former coworker of hers and her husband. They got to talking and the subject of hockey came up. I mentioned that I was learning to play hockey and had all of the gear together so my mom's friend's husband invited me to come out to a pickup game today. I couldn't refuse but at the same time I was nervous as I had heard about how competitive some of these pickup games can get.

I was lucky and the group of guys and one girl I played with today were great folks. They tolerated me, giving me plenty of ice time (actually forced me not to come off at one point), and even passed the puck to me more than I expected they would. Did I look like a drunk out there falling over and having no puck control? Yes. Did I have a lot of fun? Yes as well. So, now, I'm going to be showing up to these pickup games at least once a week until April when I leave for basic training and tech school (8 months at 3 different bases with no ice around at all). I'm also going to a stick-and-puck session on Friday to work on my skating, passing, and shooting.

I learned a lot from today but the biggest surprise for me (I've been working out 6 days a week to get ready to leave) was how tired I'd get with even a short shift out on the ice. My upper body is wrecked and I must have sweated away 5 pounds in my pads during a little over an hour of play. I also learned that skating with a stick and puck is incredibly different from just skating around at a public skate. I mess around in my driveway with a green biscuit training puck but on the ice the puck slides so much more so I really didn't find that it helped.

So, there's my life story (at least the hockey side of it anyway). I can't wait until the next time I get out on the ice and eventually when I start playing in a league next winter. If you have any questions ask away. I'll try to use what limited knowledge I have to answer them. Of course, I'll also be perusing the other tip threads and keep posting here with updates on my journey of learning to play hockey.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Northbad

I just turned 26 and one of the few things I've never done but always dreamed of was to play hockey. Growing up I played a lot of soccer and never really got the chance to branch over to anything else. I took some basic skating lessons when I was around 10 but other than that I have zero experience.

I've been trolling these threads for the past month or so and it's really helped motivate me to challenge myself and finally learn how to play.

Luckily, I have an ice rink right next to my place here in Vancouver and last night I skated for the first time in probably 15 years. I did a pretty good job psyching myself out, but I'm surprised by how easily it came back. I still can't figure out how to stop, but the fact that I can skate around the rink and turn with out falling over was astonishing to me. I tried stopping a few times but I really just ended up going in an awkward and slow circle when I tried. I feel like it's going to be about confidence and practice. After an hour and a half, I can't wait for the next time I can get on the ice.

I just wanted to thank everyone posting in this thread because it really helped me get motivated and pursue something I've always wanted to do.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:34 PM
LukeG
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbad View Post
I just turned 26 and one of the few things I've never done but always dreamed of was to play hockey. Growing up I played a lot of soccer and never really got the chance to branch over to anything else. I took some basic skating lessons when I was around 10 but other than that I have zero experience.

I've been trolling these threads for the past month or so and it's really helped motivate me to challenge myself and finally learn how to play.

Luckily, I have an ice rink right next to my place here in Vancouver and last night I skated for the first time in probably 15 years. I did a pretty good job psyching myself out, but I'm surprised by how easily it came back. I still can't figure out how to stop, but the fact that I can skate around the rink and turn with out falling over was astonishing to me. I tried stopping a few times but I really just ended up going in an awkward and slow circle when I tried. I feel like it's going to be about confidence and practice. After an hour and a half, I can't wait for the next time I can get on the ice.

I just wanted to thank everyone posting in this thread because it really helped me get motivated and pursue something I've always wanted to do.
Congratulations on pursuing your dream! Hopefully I get the chance to do the same within the next year. Hockey is simply awesome and this forum is a great community of supporters.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin65 View Post
I was directed to this thread through a google search. I think it's great that all these new folks to hockey are supporting each other. I just played my first ever pickup game today and figured I should share my story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbad View Post

So glad you guys found us and it's great to hear your stories! You have a lot of hockey in front of you and you're going to have so much fun!

Old
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
mel

Hello everyone! I've been lurking the past couple of days and reading this thread. I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences and also about the helpful tips.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post in, since I have never skated in my life until last Sunday when I took my first lesson, so this is not really about me starting to play hockey. It's more of me learnig how to skate so I could play hockey later. I've loved hockey since I was little but my family was never able to afford lessons or skates so now here I am at 27 trying to learn. My first lesson I did not want to leave the boards and venture toward center ice where I would not have anything to hold onto in case I fell. When I do fall, I struggle with getting up without having to hold onto the boards. Right now all I can do is little marching steps with my knees bent and my arms straight out. At the end of the lesson I did go to from one side of the ice to the other while not falling so that was a small victory for me The next day I sure was sore but I felt good. I'm just disappointed in myself that I can not stand up on my own yet. I felt ridiculous. Any tips that you guys have for someone that is just learning how to skate will be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to reading about more of your experiences. Thanks for reading.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Hello everyone! I've been lurking the past couple of days and reading this thread. I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences and also about the helpful tips.

I don't know if this is the right thread to post in, since I have never skated in my life until last Sunday when I took my first lesson, so this is not really about me starting to play hockey. It's more of me learnig how to skate so I could play hockey later. I've loved hockey since I was little but my family was never able to afford lessons or skates so now here I am at 27 trying to learn. My first lesson I did not want to leave the boards and venture toward center ice where I would not have anything to hold onto in case I fell. When I do fall, I struggle with getting up without having to hold onto the boards. Right now all I can do is little marching steps with my knees bent and my arms straight out. At the end of the lesson I did go to from one side of the ice to the other while not falling so that was a small victory for me The next day I sure was sore but I felt good. I'm just disappointed in myself that I can not stand up on my own yet. I felt ridiculous. Any tips that you guys have for someone that is just learning how to skate will be greatly appreciated.

Good luck and just keep practicing. Learning how to skate is tough, but you will get it if you keep at it. One thing I can say is keep those knees bent and your upper on a slight slant forward, kind of over your skates. When you bend back the other way, or are straight up you run the risk of falling backwards.

Also keep your confidence up and don't hesitate on the ice. I know how embarrassing it can be going to the rink when there are others there that know what they are doing. You feel like they are laughing at you to a degree, at least I did. Unless they are jerks though they are not laughing b/c we have all been where you are right now.

If you can, find a beginner skating class. That way you'll be around people of about equal skill level.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Good luck and just keep practicing. Learning how to skate is tough, but you will get it if you keep at it. One thing I can say is keep those knees bent and your upper on a slight slant forward, kind of over your skates. When you bend back the other way, or are straight up you run the risk of falling backwards.

Also keep your confidence up and don't hesitate on the ice. I know how embarrassing it can be going to the rink when there are others there that know what they are doing. You feel like they are laughing at you to a degree, at least I did. Unless they are jerks though they are not laughing b/c we have all been where you are right now.

If you can, find a beginner skating class. That way you'll be around people of about equal skill level.
Thanks so much for the support. You nailed exactlty how I felt my first time out about feeling like everyone would be laughing at me. The class I'm in right now is geared for beginners and is one for people of all ages. However, there was only one other adult there and the rest were little kids. I didn't mind the little kids but was more nervous about what the parents watching would think of this adult falling all over the place Once again thanks for the kind words. I go again next Sunday and am trying to find places that will allow public skating so I can practice more than once a week.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks so much for the support. You nailed exactlty how I felt my first time out about feeling like everyone would be laughing at me. The class I'm in right now is geared for beginners and is one for people of all ages. However, there was only one other adult there and the rest were little kids. I didn't mind the little kids but was more nervous about what the parents watching would think of this adult falling all over the place Once again thanks for the kind words. I go again next Sunday and am trying to find places that will allow public skating so I can practice more than once a week.
No problem man.

I think the way you have to think about it is that there will almost always be someone on the ice that is better than you. I still get that, "oh crap I'm going to look like a fool out there" feeling all the time. You just have to swallow your pride and get after it and you'll find that almost everyone will be really cool to you.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
hockeymass

Quote:

The number one thing is probably this: don't be afraid to fall. You will, a lot. To get up, kneel on the ice, then plant one blade on the ice, so that you're sort of doing the Captain Morgan. Then use your bent leg to push yourself upwards. Take it slow at first. Eventually you'll strengthen your legs enough that you'll be able to pop up.

The biggest problem you're likely having is confidence. You have to trust in those pieces of stainless steel under your feet. The balance will come in time. Try your best to take skating strides instead of those marching steps, and if you fall, get back up and keep trying.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Northbad

It's crazy how much of a mental hurdle we can create when we're doing something for the first time. Something that helps me get around those moments is thinking about how I felt when I was learning how to drive. The first few times I was a nervous wreck but then after more and more practice, you just keep getting better and eventually it's second nature.

I don't know if that rings true for anyone else, but having a past experience to relate to can be comforting sometimes.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
zeeto

I guess I'll toss my hat into the thread. I stopped playing once I left college, about 10 years ago, and decided this year to start back up. No idea why, I just decided to start. I bought some 6k skates, and headed to an open skate and was surprised at how quickly just skating came back - of course that was before the ice started getting chewed up . Once it was chewed, I bit it at least a few times in ruts that looked like someone took a chisel to the ice.

I started picking up equipment sporadically, and on clearance since there was no used stuff around, and once I had a helmet and gloves headed to the few skate and shoots I've been able to make. There's only 2 rinks within 45 minutes of here, and only one of them has skate and shoot, but it's hours are random and they pull their ice April-September. I guess the beginning of the season it's early mornings, but since I started trying to go it's 3-430pm, right when people usually schedule meetings at work . Open hockey is the same problem as s&s though, it's at the other rink around here, but TR from 230-430.

I went to my LHS a few weeks ago, and a guy who works there told me about a beginner level league and to show up with my equipment to see if the can use a sub. So I'm all amped to play, but when I talked to the guy who organizes it he told me he has enough people right now, but maybe there will be something before the end of this season, but more than likely it'll be next year.
So for now, I'm trying to get into as many skate and shoots as I can, and planning to head to the next open hockey I can. Hopefully when this project finishes at work, I can just block my calendar off from 2-5 and head out more. It's been frustrating, because I was really looking to jump back in, but it'll eventually work out.

Also, has anybody ever gone to the weekend warrior camps? They have one in Buffalo, at the rink me and my buddies used to play at in college in June.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
BigDuke6

I'm 39 and in Northern California. My 9 year old has been involved in hockey, first with classes and now an in-house team, for maybe 3 years. My 6 year old daughter is now into figure skating. I swear the kids were having so much fun that I put skates on for the first time last summer. This lead to a "learn to play hockey class" that I started in September. The idea being that you can join a bronze (lowest level) team in the adult league when you've completed the class. The class is something like 22 weeks.

I love it, the best thing I've done in years. Very frustrating. I absolutely hate cross overs, and anything to do with outside edges. However, it is one of those things that is frustrating because I can't get it so I keep trying it over and over again trying to get more comfortable. My last class is this Sunday. I passed on the opportunity to join a team and decided to take the class again - mainly becasue I'm just not satisfied with where my skating ability is. The first few classes were such a blur. Hell the first time I had all that gear on was during the first class (big adjustment).

My sons involvement in hockey led to us becoming NHL fans. My son's great aunt lives in Vancouver so that is the team we follow (had not idea how hated the Canucks were).

Overall it has been an awesome experience for me and my kids. My son hated baseball and soccer, and we didn't want him playing football at his age. He can't wait to go to the rink for practice and games. I can go out on the ice with him at stick times and have a blast, and I can now skate around with my daughter. I just need to get my wife to start skating now.

My only complaint is that in Northern California (not the Bay Area) hockey isn't a very big sport. Not a lot of local places to buy gear (other than our local rink) and there aren't many teams in our region for the travel teams to play.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Stickmata

Awesome thread. Great to see so many people learning the game. Stick with it. You will improve and you will love the game more and more as you do. The biggest advice I'd give is don't be afraid to get outside of your comfort zone and fail a little bit in order to make strides in your skating. If you're struggling with something and scared of falling or looking foolish, don't be. Just try it. If you fall, get up and try it again. Eventually, you'll stop falling, things will click and you'll wonder how you ever had trouble with it.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Justin65

Just played another pickup game today. I have to echo what stickmata said and say don't worry about falling down. Honestly, nobody cares especially if you're new like me. Today I scored a goal (on an empty net since we only had 1 goalie for 2 teams) and had a few more opportunities since the goalie was always giving up rebounds allowing me to hang out by the net and get a few chances. I also managed to get the puck off the ice with my wristshot today which I'm feeling proud of as well. To anyone on the fence about learning to skate and play hockey: Just go for it! I've gotten a great feeling of accomplishment going from never having skated before to be able to mostly keep up in games in just a few months. If I could afford it, I'd be out playing or practicing everyday.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Northbad

I'll be working on my skating again tonight at the local public skate but was thinking about maybe picking up some hockey gloves or elbow pads since I'm going to try and learn how to stop and may be falling a lot. I haven't seen anyone wearing any kind of gear or pads at the public skates except for the younger kids that just bomb around doing full hockey stops and skating backwards. Everyone else is just casually skating laps. Would it be strange if I just wore arm gear at a public skate?

Closed Thread