HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Rypien Incident(UPD: Suspended 6 Games, Post # 508)

Old
10-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
On Hockeycentral after the game, they were discussing the role a lawsuit might play in the # of games Rypien could get suspended for. Basically, a longer suspension could give the fan more ammo in his lawsuit and whatnot.
First of all.... lawsuit for what?

But even if there was a lawsuit, the damages would be inconsequential - even in the U.S.

I highly doubt Bettman based the length of suspension on that.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Awesomesauce

vCash: 500
It still amuses me greatly that some people actually think there is something actionable here.

If that would net him any money at all, then he should simply go out every weekend and start hitting on other peoples girlfriends until someone shoves him... easy money every weekend.

Assault of this type happens a thousand times every weekend in any medium sized city.

idiots.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I suggest that Rypien - in the case of a lawsuit quotes Nietzsche:

Code:
"Why so hard?" the kitchen coal once said to the diamond. "After all, are we not close kin?"

Why so soft? O my brother[s], thus I ask you: are you not after all my brothers?

Why so soft, so pliant and yielding? Why is there so much denial, self-denial, in your heart[s]? So little destiny in your eyes?

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Reign Nateo

Rypien just had to grab the biggest weiner in the crowd...

No wonder this guy still lives at home. He could have come off so much cooler.

"I think Mr. Rypien owes me a beer." and he would have been a hero.

This ain't a medical clinic kid. Rypien is paid to kick ass. Kind of like a UFC match if you want to make comparisons. Would you taunt and tease a UFC fighter that was within reach of you? Probably not, he's trained to fight. Same with Rypien.

Hard for me to imagine that you would be immediatley fired for tugging on someone's shirt. I've spent a lot of time on construction sites, seen worse without anyone being fired. Sure, maybe in a medical office you'd be fired, but that ain't Rypein's job.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Basso

Buddy Engquist should avoid Timberwolves games at all cost.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

When the guy shot that video I thought, ok, here's a guy who just got victimized in a very minor way but he was still wrongfully accosted (i refuse to call it assault because its ********, regardless if its against the law) by Rypien and he seemed genuine and didn't seem like he was being dishonest. After reading this statement he came out full dewchbag...he's obviously lawyered up because the way he's talking now you'd think he'd just been ***** by Rick Rypien. Now that the NHL has given its ruling I hope the media can figure out this worm has had his 15 minutes of fame and can sink back under his rock, back into obscurity.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:44 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Rypien just had to grab the biggest weiner in the crowd...

No wonder this guy still lives at home. He could have come off so much cooler.

"I think Mr. Rypien owes me a beer." and he would have been a hero.

This ain't a medical clinic kid. Rypien is paid to kick ass. Kind of like a UFC match if you want to make comparisons. Would you taunt and tease a UFC fighter that was within reach of you? Probably not, he's trained to fight. Same with Rypien.

Hard for me to imagine that you would be immediatley fired for tugging on someone's shirt. I've spent a lot of time on construction sites, seen worse without anyone being fired. Sure, maybe in a medical office you'd be fired, but that ain't Rypein's job.

I have a feeling that's the first time those two words have been put together when referring to Mr. Engquist.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:45 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
right. You don't know what that means, do you? Just saw it somewhere and thought it looked like a good burn?

I figured he'd get more because he's a low tier hockey player. much as downie ended up with a big suspension for head hunting when a guy like pronger gets a game. The way the NHL has handed out discipline it didn't seem so far fetched.
Rick Rypien has respect around the NHL. This was even noted by Bettman in an unprecedented display of support for him. To even bring Downie in to the equation shows an entire lack of perspective.

It's a shirt tug. Get over it.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
MarkMM

We obviously don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I wonder if this is another example of GMMG showing that he knows to do right by his players. If he had some ability to persuade the NHL to not go overboard with Rypien and to even publicly endorse his character, Rypien and any UFA's thinking of coming here should take note.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:19 PM
JuniorNelson

This wasn't a big incident. I think Rypien owed the guy an apology and some token of remorse, like a beer or tickets. This perception of the level of magnitude was reflected by Bettman's call, offering an apology and a dinner, which the fan appaarently accepted.

Lawsuits are less common than the threat of them. By accepting the tickets and dinner, the fan has set this as recompence. He is lawyered up because he might be liable in some other reading of the incident.

I think Rypien got five games for the official wrestling plus one game for the fan incident.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:31 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
It still amuses me greatly that some people actually think there is something actionable here.

If that would net him any money at all, then he should simply go out every weekend and start hitting on other peoples girlfriends until someone shoves him... easy money every weekend.

Assault of this type happens a thousand times every weekend in any medium sized city.

idiots.
I'm not getting dragged back into this debate, but of course its actionable. Just because the damages might be relatively small does not mean it is not actionable.

Its okay, you know, to acknowledge that sometimes you don't know as much about a topic as someone else - and this is a topic that you clearly do not know enough about. Others in this thread and other threads who do know a fair bit about this area have tried to educate you, but if you are unwilling or incapable of opening your mind even a little bit, there's not much anyone can do for you.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
ZZZZZZZ

The Canucks should have given the cowardly little puke tickets to the game tonight ,and then pointed him out during the intermission.

ZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
We obviously don't know what happened behind closed doors, but I wonder if this is another example of GMMG showing that he knows to do right by his players. If he had some ability to persuade the NHL to not go overboard with Rypien and to even publicly endorse his character, Rypien and any UFA's thinking of coming here should take note.
Had it been Burke instead of Gillis, Rypien may well have been suspended for the rest of the season at a minimum.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I can't believe the press is actually running the guy's idiotic comment: "If he was a regular guy he would have been fired from his job." Well no **** Sherlock; what a stupid point to make, being a professional athlete is about as far as you can get from being a 'regular guy'. When I'm at my job I'm not so amped up on adrenaline I can't see straight. I hope George Clooney punches him in the face.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

idiots.
Of course it is actionable. It is clearly a battery - an intentional tort that does not require proof of injury.

How do you not understand this after it has been explained to you a number of times with citations?

Old
10-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I can't believe the press is actually running the guy's idiotic comment: "If he was a regular guy he would have been fired from his job." Well no **** Sherlock; what a stupid point to make, being a professional athlete is about as far as you can get from being a 'regular guy'. When I'm at my job I'm not so amped up on adrenaline I can't see straight. I hope George Clooney punches him in the face.
I know a chartered accountant that punched a co-worker at a work function and didn't get fired...so I call ******** on the guy for his comment.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:05 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
I know a chartered accountant that punched a co-worker at a work function and didn't get fired...so I call ******** on the guy for his comment.
I've seen a guy go at a co-worker with a knife and not get fired.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Holy!

Worst I had was a guy who was caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar. (stealing from the bank) Didn't get turfed. Didn't even get a bad reference when he eventually left.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:18 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I wonder if Rypien's stock will raise after this. I am not talking about salary, but more about respect among players which is one thing and among fans which is another thing (bipolarity anyone). Lets just talk about players, or scrappers at least.

It might sound weird as it is, but he is well known for being what he is before this event. I think those who are scrappers have some more respect (respect more as in fear than in renowned) for Rypien after this, as he clearly is kind of a lose cannon with a lot of already proven potential of violence.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I was working at a pulp mill several years back (my first week on the job) and the guy who was training me came into work late and the operator called the supervisor to rat on him, the guy training me unplugged the phone and wouldn't let the operator rat him out. The operator got pissed off and threatened to kill the guy, the guy taunted him and dared him to try. So the operator goes into his locker and pulls out a knife and threatens to kill him again, the other guy laughs at him and dares him. Supervisor walks in, both sides start *****ing at the other and I'm sitting there going "Wow...what kind of job did I get myself into?". The outcome...verbal warnings for both sides...neither missed a day of work. Gotta love unions.

Old
10-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I'm not getting dragged back into this debate, but of course its actionable. Just because the damages might be relatively small does not mean it is not actionable.

Its okay, you know, to acknowledge that sometimes you don't know as much about a topic as someone else - and this is a topic that you clearly do not know enough about. Others in this thread and other threads who do know a fair bit about this area have tried to educate you, but if you are unwilling or incapable of opening your mind even a little bit, there's not much anyone can do for you.
I'm not going to argue with you about this. Just like every other time some jackass lawyer pops up who has no actual experience with assault and battery issues you won't show back up when this all disappears. I have been in court DOZENS of times because of assault and/or battery charges, and NEVER for one as purely frivolous as this one.

The ONLY thing we disagreed on was the degree to which a mitigating principle can be carried by the court. You clearly know jack **** about the issue so you would probably be best served just sitting out and shutting up.

Old
10-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you about this. Just like every other time some jackass lawyer pops up who has no actual experience with assault and battery issues you won't show back up when this all disappears. I have been in court DOZENS of times because of assault and/or battery charges, and NEVER for one as purely frivolous as this one.

The ONLY thing we disagreed on was the degree to which a mitigating principle can be carried by the court. You clearly know jack **** about the issue so you would probably be best served just sitting out and shutting up.
Who keeps beating you up?

Old
10-22-2010, 06:48 PM
ResidentAlien*
Unregistered User

I can't believe no one has done this yet...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1403294579

ResidentAlien* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Except here we are not talking about criminal charges or the Quebec Civil Code.

We are dealing with the common law intentional tort of battery of which you seem to know little.

Old
10-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Who keeps beating you up?
I used to work with troubled teens