HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rick Rypien Incident(UPD: Suspended 6 Games, Post # 508)

Old
10-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Pascha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Henrik's job isn't to babysit his team, it's to lead by example on the ice and off of it.

If Henrik grabbed that fan, THEN it would have been bad leadership. Because he stood there and didn't want to get involved in a messy altercation doesn't make him a bad leader.
He didn't stand there. He saw what was going on, turned around, and skated onto the ice and let someone else pull his teammate out of the mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
Generally, it will be someone whose closest to the person who is also in some sort of leadership role that will do it.
Henrik was the closest player there, and he chose to go on the ice and skate away. Just sayin'. It's on the video.
(yes, after Rypien went past him to get to the fan)

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Did anyone see Rypien SHOVING HENRIK SEDIN!!

Shoving our captain? It was a pretty hard shove to... Henrik seemed pissed muttered something and skated away.

Stupid dog.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
He didn't stand there. He saw what was going on, turned around, and skated onto the ice and let someone else pull his teammate out of the mess.
Did you not see Rypien shoving Henrik when he tried to calm him down? (before the dog pulled a fan)

Watch closely... Henrik seems pissed.. that's why he skated away.

Old
10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Did you not see Rypien shoving Henrik when he tried to calm him down? (before the dog pulled a fan)

Watch closely... Henrik seems pissed.. that's why he skated away.
Henrik's the Captain though. If pros are held to a higher standard then the captain is even above that.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
smtevo

I would say 2 for sucker punch and 20 for grabbing the fan. Bush League.

smtevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Pascha

Is there any precedent for 20 games for grabbing a fan? He didn't throw a punch or anything.

Old
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
First off, with respect to Rypien; I think it will be a suspension somewhere around 10 games. You don't touch fans, and when you compound it with him being less than gentle with the officials, it'll be stiff punishment from the league. Regardless of what Rypien's side is, that is a no-no.

Secondly, to the idea that Rypien is done with either the Canucks or the NHL, I think that is extremely unrealistic. Rypien is a solid 4th line player with no history of suspensions or antics even approaching this level of psychosis. He is not "done" by any stretch and will return to the team which will welcome him back after his suspension.

Thirdly, with regards to Henrik's actions. I don't know where he skated off to(my first thought was to talk to the officials), and it is a little bit peculiar he didn't try to intervene. But at the same time, perhaps it is best to avoid getting mixed up between Rypien and a fan at a game and looking like you were somehow implicit in what Ryp decided to do?

Just my thoughts at rationalizing.
I agree with the first two points.

I think something that I'm a little worried about whether or not Henrik is Captain material, and by this I mean that he has enough respect in the room to command a group of players. There is a difference between being a good player.. and being a good leader. There are players that as a player you look at and think "Wow! That was a great move", and there are players that you will look at and follow into war. I'm not certain Henrik is the latter. He certainly hasn't proven that he is or isn't.

Last edited by Uhmkay: 10-20-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

AGAIN...

Did anyone else NOT SEE RYPIEN CLEARLY SHOVING HENRIK as Henrik tried to calm him down?

It was a pretty hard shove... a FU shove.

Clearly Henrik got pissed and skated away.

I would have to.

Old
10-20-2010, 12:21 PM
silvercanuck

20 games for grabbing a heckler?

You have got to be kidding me.

Holy overreaction there.

If Domi can punch a fan repeatedly, cut him and draw blood without anything but a fine why on earth does this deserve a 20 game suspension?

I would say two games max for the fan incident. It was nothing. If they give more games for shoving a heckler than they do for a serious incident such as a blindside hit with an intent to injure there is something terribly wrong with this league.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post

I think something that I'm a little worried about whether or not Henrik is Captain material, and by this I mean that he has enough respect in the room to command a group of players. There is a difference between being a good player.. and being a good leader. There are players that as a player too look at and thing "Wow! That was a great move", and there are players that you will look at and follow into war. I'm not certain Henrik is the latter. He certainly hasn't proven that he is or isn't.
I don't know if I follow that, but the captaincy isn't the issue in this thread, Rypien in.

I don't think we've ever seen Rypien lose his nut period, much less lose it to the degree he did last night. Shoving a teammate, captain or no, does not earn you points. Henrik was involved with all of that from the get go, helping get Rypien off the ice and away from the linesman. Henrik is trying to steer him towards the tunnel and Rypien shoves him away. You can see Henrik look back to the ice, and by the time he's looked back at Rypien--who likely was already trying his patience--he's getting into it with a fan.

As a teammate, at some point, you have to step back and realize a guy is just in lousy mood. If I'm not mistaken, the guy that got in, took Rypien down the tunnel and got him to stay there was Vigneault. By the time he was back, Bowness and Malhotra were talking to the fan and(I believe) Henrik was on the ice talking to the officials.

Then of course Bieksa bangs his stick on the glass and Bowness has to tell him to cool it. He would be the only part of the leadership group I was concerned about in that situation. Hank and Malhotra were trying to settle down the situation as were Bowness and AV, while Bieksa nearly made things worse.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:40 PM
m9

Quote:
Henrik was the closest player there, and he chose to go on the ice and skate away. Just sayin'. It's on the video.
(yes, after Rypien went past him to get to the fan)
I meant closest to him on a personal level, not the guy who was physically closest to him at the time of the incident. My point was that when a guy loses it like this, it's generally a guy who is close to him on a personal level (ie good friend, etc) and who also is a leader on the team who would be the one to calm him down - not the guy with the C. Obviously I don't play in the NHL, but on any team sport I've ever been involved in this has been the case.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
David71

more rypien news. Real_ESPNLeBrun

League will shortly announce they've suspended indefinitely Rypien pending a hearing

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Pascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
more rypien news. Real_ESPNLeBrun

League will shortly announce they've suspended indefinitely Rypien pending a hearing
That's to be expected, they don't want him to play tonight.

Old
10-20-2010, 12:52 PM
David71

Quote:
That's to be expected, they don't want him to play tonight.
pierre lebrun twitter:
Because it requires an in-person hearing, that means the suspension will be at least five games in length. possibly rypien gets extra from canucks? maybe a ticket to the moose/anger mangement.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Thunderstick

He should get 10 games and clean that fans shorts cause I think he may have s@#% his pants when he went for him. Don't poke a rabid animal you could get more than you bargined for. Rypen should show some restraint but if you have some punk lippin you off sometimes you just react. Its not like it was a child or woman or something it was a grown man.

Thunderstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
VanEric

If a guy is seeing red to the point where he's grabbing a fan, I doubt any teammate would have been able to calm him down.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Proto

The fact that people think it reflects poorly on Henrik is like the HFBoards equivalent of fan fiction about [insert popular genre show]. It's like a bunch of people here write up these wild stories in their head where Captain Hank tussles with the team tough guy and straightens him out and wins the respect of the room before giving the boys a rousing speech that ends with a poignant quote from Julius Caesar.

In other words, hilarious.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:57 PM
nuckss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

What he did was unacceptable and will be a good-sized suspension, but he didn't hurt the fan and it was mostly a non-event. He grabbed the guy's shirt for about 2 seconds.
Ripper is pretty strong for his size and he was lucky he didn't pull that fan over the railing, which was what he was trying to do when the fan broke away. If the fan had a tighter sweater on he may not have had the slack to pull away and then its a fun ride over the railing onto his head!

nuckss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
If Domi can punch a fan repeatedly, cut him and draw blood without anything but a fine why on earth does this deserve a 20 game suspension?
This would be the fan that launched himself into the penalty box being inhabited by Domi?

I think - maybe - there's just a slight difference between the two scenarios.

Old
10-20-2010, 01:02 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:

Holy overreaction there.

I would say two games max for the fan incident. It was nothing. If they give more games for shoving a heckler than they do for a serious incident such as a blindside hit with an intent to injure there is something terribly wrong with this league.
Did you seriously just compare Domi's incident with this one and mean it?

Yes, a willing & drunk fan who goes into the penalty box with the intent of attacking a player is so very very very similar to a fan who's just standing there clapping.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:04 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post

I think something that I'm a little worried about whether or not Henrik is Captain material, and by this I mean that he has enough respect in the room to command a group of players. There is a difference between being a good player.. and being a good leader. There are players that as a player you look at and think "Wow! That was a great move", and there are players that you will look at and follow into war. I'm not certain Henrik is the latter. He certainly hasn't proven that he is or isn't.

You know what gets you the respect of your teammates? Hard work and team-first attitudes, something the Sedins are beyond reproach for. Whatever else you think does or does not make a good Captain is superfluous to what gets respect from teammates. Considering he and Daniel are amount the few Canucks who've even shown up this October, I really find it troubling to see fans who continue to want to somehow place (some of) the blame on them. And this crap about what Hank should or should have not done when Rypien got involved with the fan is just more of the same. Show me some examples of what supposedly "great" Captains have done in similar situations in the past before you start saying what a "real" Captain would have done. Basically there are none. This was not an on-ice scrum with the other team. There is no rule-book for how a Captain deals with such a bizarre situation. Does jumping in show real "leadership"? I'm not sure it does. Honestly, I'm beyond trying to make any real sense out of such a stupid display by Rypien.

CanaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This would be the fan that launched himself into the penalty box being inhabited by Domi?

I think - maybe - there's just a slight difference between the two scenarios.
It seemed to me that Domi started it/instigated by spraying water on the guy.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Roo

10 games should be sufficient.

While he didn't throw punches or anything, it just makes the league look bad. Like seriously, now players are actually attacking fans. There is no way this guy said something that players haven't heard. They are pro athletes and are paid big $ to be professional. From the video, its clear the fan did not start the physical altercation, it was all Rypien, and that's all that matters. Technically, he assaulted him and the fan can press charges.

Give him 10, he will learn not to do it again, and its done.

A season long suspension is stupid, all people make mistakes. This one was bad, but he didnt really hurt anyone here.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
CanaFan

Quote:

Holy overreaction there.

Considering it was likely shown ad naseum on every major US sports highlights last night, adding fuel to the whole "Slapshot" image of the sport in Bettman's pet markets, I'd hardly call the incident "nothing". The actual injury suffered may pale in comparison to a blindside hit but the fact that we are talking a fan - who paid his money to heckle whoever he wants, just like we do in Vancouver - and not another player makes this an entirely different scenario. He will - and should - get 10 games minimum and will be lucky not to get more. It doesn't matter how heated you are and how bad the heckling, it is a cardinal sin in any sport to lay hands on a paying fan. And anyone who thinks this guy somehow deserved it is clearly viewing the situation with some Rypien-tinted glasses on.

CanaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
It seemed to me that Domi started it by spraying water on the guy.
Yes. And the guy didn't "launch himself". The plexiglass gave way and the guy fell in and was beat up by Domi. But Domi also only got 8 games for punching Ulf Samuelsson and knocking him out cold in one of the most viscious displays of unprovoked violence I've ever seen in a hockey game.

But he was Swedish and a dirty player and the media didn't really care at that point. The NHL is a bit more image conscious these days after the Bertuzzi incident got national press time on Oprah and other American media pablum.

Rypien deserves about 10 games. If they give him that they might get it right for once.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote