HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Avalanche & Penguins

Old
10-20-2010, 04:06 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

vCash: 500
Avalanche & Penguins

To Colorado: Jordan Staal

To Pittsburgh: Chris Stewart

I'm not a guy pushing to move Jordan off the penguins roster, but with the emergence of Letestu who can for the most part fill in perfectly as a 3rd line center for the penguins on the cheap and they get a cheeper big body winger to create space and havoc on goalies screening them on the PP in return and free up more money to potentially help fill another true top 6 winger role.

While the Avs get a great 2 way young center back in return to then have one of matt duchene or stastny I would assume move over to the wing, or potentially give them the option to run a deep 1,2,3 center combo down the middle like the pens do/did.

win/win? It's a pretty simple 1 for 1 trade and I actually think the Avs do make out in this deal, but you have to give to get and I'm not trying to fleece the opposing team in the deal like most here seem to love to do.

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:08 AM
1st

They don't need a winger they're actually teaching Letestu to play wing so when Staal come back Letestu stays in the top 6.

1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Let's just keep Staal, and the Avs can keep Stewart.

CS is having a great start to the season, and I'm more than eager to see what Staal can do with Malkin on the 2nd line.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:13 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins328 View Post
They don't need a winger they're actually teaching Letestu to play wing so when Staal come back Letestu stays in the top 6.
Yeah, I know that already but its another case of square peg/round hole and hope they jam it in there and it fits...

I can't stand seeing Malkin at wing, such a waste of his talents there.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:15 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Let's just keep Staal, and the Avs can keep Stewart.

CS is having a great start to the season, and I'm more than eager to see what Staal can do with Malkin on the 2nd line.
I too can't wait to see Staal back and healthy, but I really have a feeling he should be the one on the wing and geno at center, just like in his rookie year.

I think the combo of Malkin at center and Staal at wing will be a much more effect combo, than Staal and then geno at wing.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:15 AM
Goulet17

This proposal makes absolutely no sense for the Avs. None whatsoever.

The Avs top three centers of Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly are all extremely young and none of them projects as a winger. The Avs' organizational weakness is top-6 skilled wingers (perhaps along with physical defensive-defensemen).

If the Avs acquired Staal, he would have to play wing, and he would have to project as a top scoring power forward in the league, which is questionable based on his prior production.

Chris Stewart has scored the 6th highest number of goals in the NHL since November of 2009.

Last edited by Goulet17: 10-20-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:17 AM
GCM
Stork

This is actually pretty fair value imo, maybe the avs would have to throw in a low pick but it's actually pretty good.

That said, it's not a necessary trade and I doubt it happens.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
This proposal makes absolutely no sense for the Avs. None whatsoever.

The Avs top three centers of Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly are all extremely young and none of them projects as a winger. The Avs' organizational weakness is top-6 skilled wingers (perhaps along with physical defensive-defensemen).

If the Avs acquired Staal, he would have to play wing, and he would have to project as a top scoring power forward in the league, which is questionable based on his prior production.

Chris Stewart has scored the 6th highest number of goals in the NHL since November of 2009.
Yeah, the Avs need another center about as bad as the Pens do. They need more Stewarts, not fewer.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
Stastny or Duchene would not move to wing to accommodate Staal. Furthermore, they've already got a young, 2-way center in O'Reilly. The last thing the Avs need is more centers, and they're not going to trade their best winger to get one.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:40 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

I'm not saying this was going to happen, it was pretty much a value proposal, and for some reason I had thought that both PS & MD had played wing in their careers (my bad there).

Old
10-20-2010, 05:31 AM
wej20

Decent value-wise but it doesn't make sense for the Avs. Hedjuk's not getting any younger so dealing a guy like Stewart would be silly especially for another centre. I'd love to have Stewart on the Pens though

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:20 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
As an Avs fan I really like the value and I probably would still make the trade anyways, but as mentioned above the trade doesn't make sense for the Avs. Our top 3 centers are pretty much fixed for the next 3-5 years or so, and the organization is not very deep on the wings, especially with Mueller out indefinitely with a concussion.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
electricjib

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
This is actually pretty fair value imo, maybe the avs would have to throw in a low pick but it's actually pretty good.

REALLY?? Do you watch Stewart? Leading goal scorer on the Avs last year....has 5 this year....fast power forward. Honestly I think the Penguins would have to add to get him off the Avs. I think the OP's value is about spot on, but I don't think the Avs would see his value at that. They'd have to overpay to get him off of this Avs team.

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:04 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

value wise the avs would win this deal

once you start accounting for needs though, pens win this hands down, the avs have no need for any more centers (well, maybe a consistent 4th line center, but those aren't exactly hard to find) and desperate need for wingers, and the pens are the same way

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Yeah, cause the Avs need another center...

Stastny
Duchene
O'Reilly

If the Avs got Staal, O'Reilly would be pushed to the 4th line, where his development will be severely stunted. Staal would play 3rd line (Duchene's style is top 6, not as effective on 3rd line). Stewart is on the Avs 1st line, and if they trade him, they will desecrate their top 6, especially with Mueller out. The Avs are not trading their 1st line RW for a guy to play 3rd line center, especially when O'Reilly does a great job as a 3rd line center. It would be creating a hole in the roster to fill a roster spot that is already filled

Doesn't sound like Pens fans are up for this either, so close thread?

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post

you gotta be kidding.

it'd be a great move for the Pens, but this would be a horrible move for the Avs.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Seikalym

Not bad value wise, but I dont think the Avs need another center.

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:46 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

First is, there's no way I'm willing to trade Stewart, but for the sake of this thread.

Staal
Despres

for

Stewart
Porter

Also Stewart > Staal.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:15 AM
thedoctor
                    

Look, I know Pens fans love Staal and for good reason but Stewie is a soft-handed, fast, gigantic power forward. Those don't grow on trees, and they're even rarer than what Staal is, an excellent big 2 way center.

In terms of a value proposal, it's NOT even, it's tilted towards Pitt. When you add that the Avs have zero need for Staal with Duchene, RoR, and Stastny, it's laughable.

Big, BIG no from CO.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
Wingers are needed in Pittsburgh...but Staal isn't on the table to improve that. Malkin is being shifted to wing specifically so Staal can have a larger role on this team, and even in Staal's absence Malkin is still skating on the right wing to either Mike Comrie or Mark Letestu.

Letestu is working on a shift to wing as well for whenever Staal gets back so his role isn't diminished too much.

We do need an upgrade on wing, but we're not trading Staal to get that help.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Yes!!! This Is Awesome!!!!

BEST PROPOSAL EVER !!!

I absolutely LOVE proposals from people who ONLY look at what THEIR team is getting and pay absolutely NO ATTENTION to the other teams' needs.

FANTASTIC! BRAVO!

This way, we can leave a GIANT GAPING HOLE on the right side all the while having a great 4 WAY PUNCH in the middle with Stastny, Duchene, Staal and O'Reilly!!

Makes complete sense!

I think our next move after that will be to trade Galiardi for another centerman.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Look, I know Pens fans love Staal and for good reason but Stewie is a soft-handed, fast, gigantic power forward. Those don't grow on trees, and they're even rarer than what Staal is, an excellent big 2 way center.

In terms of a value proposal, it's NOT even, it's tilted towards Pitt. When you add that the Avs have zero need for Staal with Duchene, RoR, and Stastny, it's laughable.

Big, BIG no from CO.
This.

And ANYONE who thinks it's actually a FAIR deal really needs to look at Chris Stewart play hockey. He's 23 and WILL BE the best Power Forward in the league by age 25-26 if not sooner. A RARE commodity indeed.

I like Jordan Staal and all but he's never put up 50 pts in the NHL playing with 2 of the best players in the world (on the wing or PP).

Last edited by Bender: 10-20-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
BEST PROPOSAL EVER !!!

I absolutely LOVE proposals from people who ONLY look at what THEIR team is getting and pay absolutely NO ATTENTION to the other teams' needs.

FANTASTIC! BRAVO!

This way, we can leave a GIANT GAPING HOLE on the right side all the while having a great 4 WAY PUNCH in the middle with Stastny, Duchene, Staal and O'Reilly!!

Makes complete sense!

I think our next move after that will be to trade Galiardi for another centerman.
Galiardi is already a converted center. I think we need to ship out our remaining wingers-- Stewart, Hejduk, McLeod, Yip, and Jones for another 5'10 offensive d-man.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
It's a pity that Staal related trade proposals never go well, because it seems so sensible to so many of us fans.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This.

And ANYONE who thinks it's actually a FAIR deal really needs to look at Chris Stewart play hockey. He's 23 and WILL BE the best Power Forward in the league by age 25-26 if not sooner. A RARE commodity indeed.

I like Jordan Staal and all but he's never put up 50 pts in the NHL playing with 2 of the best players in the world (on the wing or PP).
You don't watch many Pittsburgh games, do you?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote