HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oldies Getting it done

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2010, 09:05 AM
  #1
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Oldies Getting it done

Is it just me, or are all the old guys that all the pros (Pierre ***king McGuire) said were all has beens and the flames would struggle this year because of it. It looks like the bald idiot was wrong, Conroy, Sarich, Regher. Even Iggy and Tangs are shifting to top gear now. The only exception is Staios. Of course out young guys are doing awesome too. other than the opener vs edmonton, and florida


Thoughts?

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:25 AM
  #2
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
Is it just me, or are all the old guys that all the pros (Pierre ***king McGuire) said were all has beens and the flames would struggle this year because of it. It looks like the bald idiot was wrong, Conroy, Sarich, Regher. Even Iggy and Tangs are shifting to top gear now. The only exception is Staios. Of course out young guys are doing awesome too. other than the opener vs edmonton, and florida


Thoughts?
Staios.... we are agreed there lol. I would also add Kipper to your list, he was amazing in net last night.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:34 AM
  #3
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
thats true, kipper is considered old, i guess i meant the oldies you wouldnt expect it from?

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
  #4
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
By oldies I just assumed you meant veterans... whatever I liked the way teh team played vs Nashville. Now to pull off a win over Detroit

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:46 AM
  #5
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
if we forget how to play like we did vs the panthers, we will do fine this season. the offense will come

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:51 AM
  #6
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,722
vCash: 2403
None of the guys on our team are even really that old with the exception of Staios and Conroy. The difference with the Flames is our core is older compared to alot of the other teams in the NHL. There has been a serious youth movement in the NHL over the last few seasons and the Flames have not had the prospects to inject in their lineup like most of the other teams have. So alot of other critics (ie. the media) judge us as being old in comparision to other teams. I would like to see us get younger to, but we do have reinforcements on the way over the next couple of years.

I think in the games we have won this year this year, our vets have looked really good. In the games we lossed, they looked extremely bad. Lets hope the Flames continue to build momentum off of their wins and the vets can keep this pace going throughout the season.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
  #7
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
I 100% agree with you on that MVW, I for got to put the "" on "oldies", its just what the media does, we are known as the greybeards apparently in sports medias inner circle

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
  #8
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,921
vCash: 500
Oldies getting it done?

Iggy is on pace for 32 points, Conroy 16, Tanguay 48.

And they've all scored their points in 1 game.

What exactly are they getting done?

slappipappi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
  #9
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Oldies getting it done?

Iggy is on pace for 32 points, Conroy 16, Tanguay 48.

And they've all scored their points in 1 game.

What exactly are they getting done?
What do you really expect from Tanguay and Conroy?

Iginla is only going to regress in his point totals further and further unless our GM supply's him with some top line talent. Iginla simply cannot carry this team on his shoulders anymore, that has been apparent for a year now. He's no longer the PF everyone hopes to see, he's a sniper. And it's pretty hard to snipe shots when no one is around to feed you the puck.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:53 PM
  #10
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Pre sure Morrisson, yeah hes old, he leads the team with 5 points, yeah, slappipappi, you really know your stuff, who cares what they're on pace for, thats a predicted number, you just look at the stats sheet dont you? yeah maybe watch a game then get back to me, im sure youll agree

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:39 PM
  #11
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,852
vCash: 500
Historically, Iginla usually has low production in October. For pretty much the entire first month last season, we had no production from our top line. By the beginning of December, Iginla was on pace for over 50 goals.

Projected numbers mean little to me, but I guess they mean the world to others. Iggy could have had a couple of points yesterday had his teammates finished (Bouwmeester). The points will come, but the wins are more important.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:37 PM
  #12
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,152
vCash: 500
The vets havent played all that well with the exception of Tanguay,Sarich,Kipper and Reggie.

We can play much much better than we have thus far, which is a good thing.


Last edited by HighLifeMan: 10-20-2010 at 03:46 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:18 PM
  #13
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,148
vCash: 106
Iginla's noted for his great November play though.
Stajan did OK in his first few games back.
Morrison, Tanguay, Sarich's play all speak for themselves.

Glencross (can he be considered a veteran on our team?) absolutely full of spark.
Meyer's been doing well.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:30 PM
  #14
AnAfricanMidget
Registered User
 
AnAfricanMidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Igloo
Country: Kyrgyzstan
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
None of the guys on our team are even really that old with the exception of Staios and Conroy. The difference with the Flames is our core is older compared to alot of the other teams in the NHL. There has been a serious youth movement in the NHL over the last few seasons and the Flames have not had the prospects to inject in their lineup like most of the other teams have. So alot of other critics (ie. the media) judge us as being old in comparision to other teams. I would like to see us get younger to, but we do have reinforcements on the way over the next couple of years.

I think in the games we have won this year this year, our vets have looked really good. In the games we lossed, they looked extremely bad. Lets hope the Flames continue to build momentum off of their wins and the vets can keep this pace going throughout the season.
Exactly. Everyone is saying Tanguay was old and done, the guy is 30. Same with Jokinen(31 IIRC). Just because our team is not made up 60% of players under 25-26, does not make our team old.

AnAfricanMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
  #15
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
I came of wrong, i guess i meant our "so-called" oldies on me lol

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:03 AM
  #16
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Stewie Hockey™
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Salt Mines
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 9,039
vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Oldies getting it done?

Iggy is on pace for 32 points, Conroy 16, Tanguay 48.

And they've all scored their points in 1 game.

What exactly are they getting done?
Morrison is on pace for 82 points.

See what I did there?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 01:58 AM
  #17
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Morrison is on pace for 82 points.

See what I did there?
at least you know how to figure out what their scoring pace is... Conroy is on pace for 20 points... the guy seems to ignore the fact Conroy has only played 4 games... and honestly 20 points from Conroy on the 4th line would be great

and Sarich is on pace for 40

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 02:04 AM
  #18
abracanada
Registered User
 
abracanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
It is amusing to see people assuming the Flames are going to look the same at the end of a month never mind the end of the year. In spite of the fact that several key players have not produced particularly well to this point, the team is doing relatively well. The confusion is further compounded when you consider so many injuries to players who seemed to be ready to contribute (injuries to Stajan, Bourque, Langkow and Kotalik) has also punched some holes in the teams offensive abilities.

We still don't know what we have for a team at this point. The last two games have been quite impressive to my way of thinking, but that could end soon too. Bourque and Stajan will very likely be better in the next little while and Kotalik seems to be ready to contribute more this year. Langkow could be finished, but he also may rebound.

At least give them another 10 or 15 games before jumping to conclusions. But as was implied by the OP, these old guys are indeed getting it done.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
  #19
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
It is amusing to see people assuming the Flames are going to look the same at the end of a month never mind the end of the year. In spite of the fact that several key players have not produced particularly well to this point, the team is doing relatively well. The confusion is further compounded when you consider so many injuries to players who seemed to be ready to contribute (injuries to Stajan, Bourque, Langkow and Kotalik) has also punched some holes in the teams offensive abilities.

We still don't know what we have for a team at this point. The last two games have been quite impressive to my way of thinking, but that could end soon too. Bourque and Stajan will very likely be better in the next little while and Kotalik seems to be ready to contribute more this year. Langkow could be finished, but he also may rebound.

At least give them another 10 or 15 games before jumping to conclusions. But as was implied by the OP, these old guys are indeed getting it done.
Thank-You! they are definitley gittin er done.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:04 AM
  #20
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
It is amusing to see people assuming the Flames are going to look the same at the end of a month never mind the end of the year. In spite of the fact that several key players have not produced particularly well to this point, the team is doing relatively well. The confusion is further compounded when you consider so many injuries to players who seemed to be ready to contribute (injuries to Stajan, Bourque, Langkow and Kotalik) has also punched some holes in the teams offensive abilities.We still don't know what we have for a team at this point. The last two games have been quite impressive to my way of thinking, but that could end soon too. Bourque and Stajan will very likely be better in the next little while and Kotalik seems to be ready to contribute more this year. Langkow could be finished, but he also may rebound.

At least give them another 10 or 15 games before jumping to conclusions. But as was implied by the OP, these old guys are indeed getting it done.
Exactly we haven't even iced our best lineup yet and we have a 3-2 record...that is a decent start and the last 2 games have looked solid. I am very interested to see how Kotalik works into the lineup when he gets back. Having to push one of our current top 9 down to the 4th line (or Kotalik) is going to give us so much depth. Can't wait!!

Anyone hear news about Kotalik these days?

Regardless of how the majority of Vets play I look to Bouwmeester to be the guy to lead this team. If he plays as solid as he did on Tuesday on a cosistent basis then this season could be a very strong one for the organization. His defensive performance (from Tuesday) and huge chunk of icetime is what gets teams deep into the playoffs. Just think about what the best dmen in the league have done for playoff teams in recent years...The awnser is win cups. I haven't had too much faith in him so hopefully he proves me wrong

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
  #21
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Oldies getting it done?

Iggy is on pace for 32 points, Conroy 16, Tanguay 48.

And they've all scored their points in 1 game.

What exactly are they getting done?
Kiprusoff is on pace for over 16 shutouts as well.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:47 AM
  #22
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Kiprusoff is on pace for over 16 shutouts as well.

The statement was made that Iggy was playing well. 2 points in 5 games (one on an empty net) is not playing well. Sure it's a small sample size, but I didn't make the original statement.

If other posters don't want small sample sizes used, they should not make sweeping statements based entirely on the same small sample size.


Last edited by slappipappi: 10-22-2010 at 07:46 AM.
slappipappi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
  #23
GoFlames
Registered User
 
GoFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Morrison is on pace for 82 points.

See what I did there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
at least you know how to figure out what their scoring pace is... Conroy is on pace for 20 points... the guy seems to ignore the fact Conroy has only played 4 games... and honestly 20 points from Conroy on the 4th line would be great

and Sarich is on pace for 40
Lol! I love other posters saying the sky is falling. The Flames are 3-2 and I believe second in the division, this with major injuries. I am actually quite optimistic for the season.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
  #24
goodsauce
Registered User
 
goodsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
The statement was made that Iggy was playing well. 2 points in 5 games (one on an empty net) is not playing well. Sure it's a small sample size, but I didn't make the original statement.

If other posters don't want small sample sizes used, they should make sweeping statements based entirely on the same small sample size.
You obviously don't actually watch the games, you just look at the stats sheets post-game. This was also a thread about the general "greybeards" as the the analysts would call them. If you want to get specific about Iggy, yeah his stats aren't there, but where were they last October? I'm saying the older guys of the team (I know, we established thay aren't that old) are doing very well considering everyone was expecting way less. They are all given er in the games we have won (EDM, and FLA, we will just forget about those ones) Stats are NOT the only thing that matter, Iggy is doing great at providing leadership and keeping the guys morale high. And they all have bounce in their steps.
I also agree with Goflames, we are playing above-500 hockey with key guys out.
It is gonna be a great season.

BTW, Im on pace for winning all arguments against you this season.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
  #25
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Stewie Hockey™
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Salt Mines
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 9,039
vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
The statement was made that Iggy was playing well. 2 points in 5 games (one on an empty net) is not playing well. Sure it's a small sample size, but I didn't make the original statement.

If other posters don't want small sample sizes used, they should make sweeping statements based entirely on the same small sample size.
I laughed.

You're right though, the top line in general could be playing better producing more. I'm willing to give them at least ten games, assuming the current top line stays together.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.