HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Zack Smith to Bingo (And zack smith recalled from bingo)

Old
10-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
It's not about accountabiltiy or any comment on Smith's play really. He had to go down so Hale could come up - we're that cose to the cap.

It's a move to facilitate getting Lee out of the lineup. If he's not traded by the time Kuba is healthy then there's a good chance he hits the waiver wire.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
HockeyTownUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
It's not about accountabiltiy or any comment on Smith's play really. He had to go down so Hale could come up - we're that cose to the cap.

It's a move to facilitate getting Lee out of the lineup. If he's not traded by the time Kuba is healthy then there's a good chance he hits the waiver wire.
Mostly this ^ but Smith does need to regain his confidence (he did look tentative vs the Caps) and become more defensively responsible. Guys on two-way contracts who make mistakes that lead to a goal can get hung and here you see it.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
It is obvious Lee should go after yesterday's action. I really don't understand why isn't he on waivers right now?? Ottawa has lots of young D that Murray has drafted, they don't need Lee for depth so waive him and move on.

I , for one, have supported Murray, but I do admit wondering about his thinking at the moment. To even suggest Lee's performance has anything to do with the Sens woes is ridiculous. It is obvious to most, Karlsson has been terrible, Carkner in over his head in the top 4, and Gonchar and Phillips average. Campoli has been the best of the lot, though some will say by default.

So the solution is to bring in Hale, good luck with that choice. It should be apparent to all, that the only way this problem gets better is for Karlsson to start playing as expected, that will allow CC the options Murray expected with his D. If Karlsson doesn't improve very quickly, then he must go to Bingo to allow the Sens the cap space to get help from outside the organization.

Anything else is just wishful thinking in my opinion.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 10-21-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Suiteness

Jesus, is it really that hard to understand? They have no confidence in Lee. He's never ever on the ice cause they don't trust him. When he does get on the ice he manages to screw up anyways. Hale is the guy they wanted on top from the get-go but couldn't because of cap issues.

They don't want Lee. That's it, they just don't want him on the team. Karlsson has sucked, yes, but they want him here, he's the golden boy of the organization.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Jesus, is it really that hard to understand? They have no confidence in Lee. He's never ever on the ice cause they don't trust him. When he does get on the ice he manages to screw up anyways. Hale is the guy they wanted on top from the get-go but couldn't because of cap issues.

They don't want Lee. That's it, they just don't want him on the team. Karlsson has sucked, yes, but they want him here, he's the golden boy of the organization.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious genius, however you failed to explain why Lee is even in Ottawa if you are right

Murray signed him to a one way last summer, stating Lee had a future in the organization. Guess you talked with Murray and he told you otherwise.

Old
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Murray signed him to a one way last summer, stating Lee had a future in the organization. Guess you talked with Murray and he told you otherwise.
Maybe after playing horribly thourghout camp, pre-season and the regular season they realized they screwed up?

Murray also signed Jason Smith and Alex Kovalev. He obviously makes mistakes in his singings.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Maybe after playing horribly thourghout camp, pre-season and the regular season they realized they screwed up?

Murray also signed Jason Smith and Alex Kovalev. He obviously makes mistakes in his singings.
Murray has made mistakes for sure, price one pays for being human and living in realtime, without the benefit of hindsight.

However if he played so horribly, which he did not, why not cut your losses and just waive him and start the season with Hale???

I have no axe to grind for or against Brian Lee, whether he stays or goes is of little consequence in my life. The point I was making had nothing to do with Lee, everything to do with Karlsson.

Regardless of Karlsson's status with the Sens (golden boy), if his play doesn't improve the Sens D will struggle.

Old
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Thanks for pointing out the obvious genius, however you failed to explain why Lee is even in Ottawa if you are right

I think the signing had Murray prtecting his "asset" and hoping that Lee would finally arrive. He hasn't and now has him on a one-way and tradeable. Lee will get picked up and if he didn't sign him, we would have left for nothing. At least this way Murray could get a draft pick at minimum.

He is just protecting his assets.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:19 AM
MatthewT

Smith to Bingo

Scott MacArthur
ScottMacArthur Scott MacArthur
#Sens make a roster move, sending Zack Smith to #BSens of AHL .. #Habs #NHL

Michalek coming back possibly for Saturday?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Has to mean Michalek is back, I'm sure.

But IMO Smith > Winchester.

This is the product of his 2 way contract

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
MikeyMagic

Send a message via MSN to MikeyMagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Scott MacArthur
ScottMacArthur Scott MacArthur
#Sens make a roster move, sending Zack Smith to #BSens of AHL .. #Habs #NHL

Michalek coming back possibly for Saturday?
Nope.

From Sens Twitter

Clouston: Kuba and Michalek will not play Saturday.

I think Binghamton is playing in Montreal tonight so Smith can play for them tonight and be called back up after to play Saturday.

MikeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Smith has done nothing to show he belongs in the NHL, I think Winchester has been fantastic this year. I'm very happy to see him return to where he belongs. He does too much stupid crap for what he brings.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Smith down again...

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:26 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
That's what a senseless 5-minute majour will cost you. Luckily he only has to drive a few hours east to Montreal for the Hamilton game tonight.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
TheBandWagon

Can't say I really like them sending him up and down so much. Seems to me like it'd mess with him more than it'll help him...but I dont make millions of dollars a year to make these decisions

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
CR15

So if 9mm isn't playing sat are they doing this to let Smith play for bingo tonight then dress on saturday ? Or Lee on the 4th line ?

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
That's what a senseless 5-minute majour will cost you. Luckily he only has to drive a few hours east to Montreal for the Hamilton game tonight.
He'll be back for Sat.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Billy Madison*

Is this move really that surprising or shocking?

The Sens are up against the cap and need to move some salary to the minors. Smith will not be in the lineup when Michalek is back so why would you have a guy who can be sent down sitting in the press box eating up your cap?

The is no reason at all to take Hale out of the lineup, there is no one to replace Hale right now and yes, Lee has proven he can't play the left side. The Karlsson/Hale pairing has been very steady for The Sens. Just like the Leclaire/Elliott situation, there is no justification for Lee coming in for Hale right now.

Smith being sent down is a pretty obvious move to me if Michalek is back.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
MatthewT

I wouldn't mind leaving Smith down for a few games and calling Butler up to play with Alfie and Fisher, and put Foligno down on the fourth line

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Smith has done nothing to show he belongs in the NHL, I think Winchester has been fantastic this year. I'm very happy to see him return to where he belongs. He does too much stupid crap for what he brings.
Seriously? Winchester has been fantastic?

They have both been terrible. No question for me, but at least Smith provides toughness and a willingness to fight.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Nestea

So... Smith will play three games in a row? Would be sweet if Butler was called up.

Nestea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestea View Post
So... Smith will play three games in a row? Would be sweet if Butler was called up.
for what it's worth, KK was on the radio yesterday sounding very impressed with Butler's overall play. Said that he has ALREADY improved a lot and is looking great so far. (paraphrasing)

could be they've seen enough of smith for now and next callup is butler. i'd like to see that for a few.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I think it is all about the cap & saving money where they can. Since Bingo is playing in Montreal tonight & Ottawa is playing there tomorrow night, sending Smith down saves them a little coin. I bet he doesn't even play for Bingo & that he suits up for Ottawa on Saturday night. My guess is that as soon as Michalek & Kuba return both Hale & Smith will be sent down. Lee will keep hanging around until he is either traded, gets better or is placed on waivers, keep in mind that he is signed for next season too.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:43 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Seriously? Winchester has been fantastic?

They have both been terrible. No question for me, but at least Smith provides toughness and a willingness to fight.
This is the way i see it too.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:00 PM
PablitoArg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I think it is all about the cap & saving money where they can. Since Bingo is playing in Montreal tonight & Ottawa is playing there tomorrow night, sending Smith down saves them a little coin. I bet he doesn't even play for Bingo & that he suits up for Ottawa on Saturday night. My guess is that as soon as Michalek & Kuba return both Hale & Smith will be sent down. Lee will keep hanging around until he is either traded, gets better or is placed on waivers, keep in mind that he is signed for next season too.
agree.. i was too lazy to write my point of view. You did it for me. Thx

PablitoArg is offline   Reply With Quote