HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What are the chances of Wade Redden resuming his NHL career?

Old
10-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
What are the chances of Wade Redden resuming his NHL career?

I just took a quick look at Redden's stats in the AHL this year and he seems to be doing very well, with 6 points in 5 games. Obviously this is no indication of his all around play, but it got me wondering about his future a little bit. I'm assuming his time with the Rangers is over. That said, if he keeps ripping up the AHL does anybody go and take a chance on his long term deal and grab him on re-entry waivers in the next couple of years?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:55 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Maybe not this season but he will eventually get back with an NHL team.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 10:56 PM
stingo

vCash: 50
I think he'll be back someday.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Lexicon Devil

I don't think he's worth it even on re-entry, but the Rangers could always call him up if they make the playoffs.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

By the time his contract is over, he is WASHED UP.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I just took a quick look at Redden's stats in the AHL this year and he seems to be doing very well, with 6 points in 5 games. Obviously this is no indication of his all around play, but it got me wondering about his future a little bit. I'm assuming his time with the Rangers is over. That said, if he keeps ripping up the AHL does anybody go and take a chance on his long term deal and grab him on re-entry waivers in the next couple of years?
I don't think the Rangers would be willing to have Redden taking up any of their cap space until possibly the last year of his deal.

They might be able to prevent Sather from signing the next Redden if they took away some of his spending ability though.

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Tombernack

Same chances as Toskala.

(not good)

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Forsburger

At the end of his contract he signs for the league minimum with either a) a contender looking for a 6/7 defenseman or b) a rebuilding team looking for a someone to take a chance on and flip at the deadline.

Forsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Fugu

vCash:
He may not be a six million dollar man, but he is an NHL caliber defenseman. I think he'll be back, much less money, of course, but he's probably better than many of the scrubs teams are forced to ice due to cap issues.

Old
10-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

He'll be back....with a MUCH smaller contract.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

What the hell happened to this guy? was he already on a downward spiral when he signed with the Rags? or did the big money go to his head?

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Fan 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
What the hell happened to this guy? was he already on a downward spiral when he signed with the Rags? or did the big money go to his head?
Sens fans can feel free to correct me but I believe in his last year in Ottawa he had already regressed in a very noticeable way.

Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

If he DOES resume his NHL career, let's get the facts perfectly straight. He needs to pass through re-entry waivers. There is no way in hell the Rangers risk absorbing half his contract for its full length. Therefore a team will have to trade for him or he needs to break his contract.

Wraparounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Healy pointed out on HNIC that Redden likely has to spend the next 2 years in the AHL until the new CBA is worked out.

Only chance I see him getting back to the NHL is for the PA to lower the buyout rate for players over 25 from 2/3 to 1/3 of their remaining contract (to be equal to the buyout rate for under 25 year olds). That would cost the Rangers a shade under $1.1 million in cap space over 4 years if they buy him out, rather than the $2.15 million in cap space it would cost them now over 8 years to buy him out.

At that point he can resume his career.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Sept joueurs

Mr. Blutarsky... zero point zero.

Sept joueurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 07:36 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

See what's so ridiculous about this situation is that redden is still better than an eminger or even gilroy, even tho gilroy has played ok thus far. He's simply being buried for the cap relief bc he was signed to an absurd contract. He is at least a 5-6 dman on about 15 nhl team, including the rangers. Just sather has no idea how to sign ufas(I.e., what their real worth over time is). So while redden is still an nhl dman, he won't be one unless he's a-bought out & signed elsewhere, b-claimed on re-entry.
75 games & plus 8 on a non playoff team last year. How many dmen do that then get sent to the minors without even a look the following year? Only ones making 6.5 million on a team desperate for a way to be under the cap.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Not in the next 6 years. When his contract runs out.

It might as well be a fact that he won't come back to the NHL till his contract is out, since as the nyr fan said

"If he DOES resume his NHL career, let's get the facts perfectly straight. He needs to pass through re-entry waivers. There is no way in hell the Rangers risk absorbing half his contract for its full length. Therefore a team will have to trade for him or he needs to break his contract."

He's 33 now, 34 by the end of this season in 6 years he'd 39, once he hits the market he'd be 40. No way.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
he could but he is down in the A because of his contract. He is also not a very good dman anymore and that is a reason he was sent down too. For Sather to do this Redden had to play horribly for 2 years, which he did

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:12 AM
wej20

Could Redden not report to the AHL say in year 3 (so he gets some of his ridiculous contract) and void his contract, allowing him to sign somewhere in the NHL for cheap?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Could Redden not report to the AHL say in year 3 (so he gets some of his ridiculous contract) and void his contract, allowing him to sign somewhere in the NHL for cheap?
Possibly.

I felt the when the CBA was signed, it was signed in the spirit that if a team who overpaid drastically on someone with NHL talent, they would send him down, try to move him, and if there were no takers, buy him out in the offseason.

But this is the Rangers.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

He will play again, just not on the Rangers. That ship sailed.

If there's no way to void his contract, I could see him down in the AHL for a long time, however.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
First, I think that Redden actually has 4 more years (including this year), on his contract.

I thought that if he fails to report, the Rangers suspend him and don't have to pay his contract. I don't think that the existing contract gets voided however. And I agree that there's almost no way the Rangers agree to take a $3.3M cap hit through 2015 with Redden on re-entry waivers.

If I understand the process correctly - Redden will have to pass through waivers again next year when the Rangers demote him to the AHL again. I think the chances of a team willing to take a a chance for 3 more years of Wade at that point are effectively 0%, which means his NHL career is over IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:06 AM
kasper11

It's going to depend on the CBA.

1) He won't play for the Rags or any other team at his current price
2) The Rags won't put him on re-entry and burn the cap space.

BUT...I expect to see something happen with this in the next CBA. A couple of things could be done
1) Players with 1-way deals over a certain amount could be ineligible for the minors
2) Players with a 1-way deal could get a way out if sent down
3) Some framework to renegotiate can be included

Having useful but overpaid players in the minors is bad for the league for a couple of reasons. First, it is a hole in the salary cap that allows big budget teams to overpay with less risk than poorer teams that can't afford to bury a player. Second, it leaves talented players out of the league. Third, it makes the NHL and its cap look like a joke. Fourth, the players can't like it.

So I think this will be addressed in the next CBA and Redden will be back in the league.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Stephen

You have to feel bad for a guy who can still sort of play and has been put into exile like this. He was very good for a long time, and only five years ago, his name was popping up in trade for Pronger and the Sens kept him over Chara too. Also, the guy has 994 career games. What a terrible way to end a career...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:25 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan 4 Life View Post
Sens fans can feel free to correct me but I believe in his last year in Ottawa he had already regressed in a very noticeable way.
you are correct. He made a simliar amount here in ottawa 6 mill i think? So money wasnt the issue.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote