HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Murray: Defense Sucks - Hale up Smith down - Talking to Minnesota

Old
10-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Ishdul

vCash: 500
David Hale is quite arguably the worst defenseman in the NHL. There is never a good reason to call him up.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:20 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
David Hale is quite arguably the worst defenseman in the NHL. There is never a good reason to call him up.
I think it's more Murray saying to his players, 'play better or this plug is gunna get your minutes'.

Besides, Hale wasn't as bad as people made him out to be during training camp. He's a decent enough depth guy, it's not like he'll be playing 40 games.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:23 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Lee is being sheltered a lot and has 0 special teams time while Campoli plays the PK.
Hale is a natural LD, who wouldn't be playing LD for the first time and might eat up Campoli's PK time.
Even though that's a given, Hale still sucks and is a turnover machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
I think it's more Murray saying to his players, 'play better or this plug is gunna get your minutes'.

Besides, Hale wasn't as bad as people made him out to be during training camp. He's a decent enough depth guy, it's not like he'll be playing 40 games.
Hale was much worse than people made him out to be. The local media fawned on him as an overage player who made the team. I assume they just hand in the press releases the team gives them, because he was worse than the young rookies. Slow and no hockey IQ + bad passing skills is how I rate him.

Maybe he can change my mind, but he's going to have to do it on the ice.

Worse thing is the phony message from Murray - yes Brian, it that #7 'D', Lee who cost us those games

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Lexicon Devil

Hale isn't being called up to sit in the press box. He is being called up to replace Brian Lee. This is obvious from Lee's 12:30 of icetime and the fact that he was benched last game... not to mention that Hale was Clouston's original choice out of camp, before he was sent down to Binghamton (obviously for cap reasons).

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
Even though that's a given, Hale still sucks and is a turnover machine.
We had Picard on our 2nd pairing for extended periods... and Hale - Karlsson will still probably be the 3rd pairing until Kuba returns.

Hopefully he can remember simple instructions; "Your breakout strategy is to pass it to Karlsson!"

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post

David Hale as Bobby Hill works for me.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Hale isn't being called up to sit in the press box. He is being called up to replace Brian Lee. This is obvious from Lee's 12:30 of icetime and the fact that he was benched last game... not to mention that Hale was Clouston's original choice out of camp, before he was sent down to Binghamton (obviously for cap reasons).
That makes me wonder what's going on in his head. He isn't exactly a candidate for coach of the year, so far.

Quote:
We had Picard on our 2nd pairing for extended periods... and Hale - Karlsson will still probably be the 3rd pairing until Kuba returns.

Hopefully he can remember simple instructions; "Your breakout strategy is to pass it to Karlsson!"
Yeah - just throw it around the boards - no matter what happens

I think Cherry had a guy doing that in Colorado - even when there was no pressure.

I question whether the current management will survive until Kuba returns

Old
10-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulica View Post
I'm pretty sure Havlat is one of the last players that Minnesota would trade

Along with Cullen

So let's end those proposals before they start
Cullen has a Limited NTC. Not sure of the details of the 'limited' bit.

Murray needs to find a sniper for Spezza, a steady D-man to play with Karlsson and 'tender.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Wham City

Quote:
What happens when you delete Kovalev and drop the average age by 0.5 or 1 year?
If Kovalev disappeared and Butler replaced him we jump back from 27th oldest to 18th oldest.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Lexicon Devil

Why are people talking about forwards? Murray made it clear that he is upset with the defence, and in particular "a couple young guys" (i.e. Karlsson and Lee). Karlsson isn't going anywhere, so that leaves...

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Here is the sequence of questions you have to ask:

Is old?
Is he russian?
Is he russian and old?
Is he from Ottawa?
Is he from the Ottawa area?
Is he a Murray?

Almost guaranteed to get a yes from one of those questions
You forgot, Did he draft him?

Old
10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

If indeed Murray is talking to Minny, I bet he has his eyes set on Zanon who is a tough,stay at home d-man and either Brunette or Miettinen both veterans UFA to be. Brunette if we keep Alfie on the same line with Spezza as we don't have any other playmakers..(yeah Kovalev one game/per month maybe ) or Miettinen if we put Alfie on the 2nd line to go with Fisher as they have some chemistry and give Spezza a guy who at least positions himself in a lane waiting to shoot

Lol Cullen just signed with them and he's their best player so far and Havlat works well with Matt and Latendresse, that line has some fine chemistry .

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Why are people talking about forwards? Murray made it clear that he is upset with the defence, and in particular "a couple young guys" (i.e. Karlsson and Lee). Karlsson isn't going anywhere, so that leaves...
So what? Doing that won't affect the won/loss column. It's not the bottom pairing that is causing the losses.

Maybe the rest will start to play better. I hope so.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Stassino

Brian Lee has been the worst defensemen on the team, single handily responsible for multiple goals..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
Brian Lee has been the worst defensemen on the team, single handily responsible for multiple goals..
I'm sure he'll be much better next year. keep him around. after all, he loves it here in ottawa and his value keeps going up and up.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Malkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Murray needs to find a sniper for Spezza, a steady D-man to play with Karlsson and 'tender.
Peter Regin?

Malkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
If you really believe that you must be CC's twin brother. While Lee hasn't played like Orr in his prime, he definitely hasn't been the worse defenceman.

Personally I hope he is traded soon, I can't wait to find out who is next to be blamed.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
So what? Doing that won't affect the won/loss column. It's not the bottom pairing that is causing the losses.

Maybe the rest will start to play better. I hope so.
LOL, hope is all there might be, Hale certainly won't change anything.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Cullen has a Limited NTC. Not sure of the details of the 'limited' bit.

He needs to find Karlsson's game of last spring, if that doesn't happen nothing is going to help Karlsson other than some time in the AHL.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkie View Post
Peter Regin?
Could be, I don't think that Regin plays too well in the grinder role that he currently has. Move him up, and Alfie down with Foligno and Fisher and we may start to get somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
He needs to find Karlsson's game of last spring, if that doesn't happen nothing is going to help Karlsson other than some time in the AHL.
I don't think it's a shock that Karlsson played better when he had Sutton covering his ass.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I question whether the current management will survive until Kuba returns
The only way they will survive is if the Sens start winning, or Brian finds a way to get this team to the cap floor while still being competitive

I can't believe Melynk will do nothing but watch his $59M team embarass him. He wants to win, excuses will not readily be accepted. If the Sens don't win or at least play very competitively this weekend, something is going to happen.

Old
10-20-2010, 04:40 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swedish Flash View Post
If indeed Murray is talking to Minny, I bet he has his eyes set on Zanon who is a tough,stay at home d-man and either Brunette or Miettinen both veterans UFA to be. Brunette if we keep Alfie on the same line with Spezza as we don't have any other playmakers..(yeah Kovalev one game/per month maybe ) or Miettinen if we put Alfie on the 2nd line to go with Fisher as they have some chemistry and give Spezza a guy who at least positions himself in a lane waiting to shoot

Lol Cullen just signed with them and he's their best player so far and Havlat works well with Matt and Latendresse, that line has some fine chemistry .
I agree, if he really is talking to Minny Zanon &/or one of Brunette (didn't he try to trade for him last yr) or Miettinen. But who would Ottawa trade to fit those guys salary wise? Together they make $4.2 which is what Fisher makes. Would those two be an upgrade to having Fisher on this team? Maybe, but there would be a lot of fans in this town who would be just as pissed if Murray trades Fisher as they would be if he traded Phillips or Alfredson. And who is to say that Brunette/Miettinen would resign. Zanon used to be Ottawa property.

Since it seems that CC can't stand Lee is it possible that Murray just makes a minor move & trades Lee for Clayton Stoner? Lee is the better puck mover & Stoner (great name) is more of a stay at home & tougher defenceman.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:54 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Minny fan here. Minny obviously would get the better player out of the deal because they're not in a desperate situation. Fletcher can live with his team as is. No to Burns, Havlat, Cullen, or Zanon. Maybe Cam Barker?

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Minny fan here. Minny obviously would get the better player out of the deal because they're not in a desperate situation. Fletcher can live with his team as is. No to Burns, Havlat, Cullen, or Zanon. Maybe Cam Barker?
I don't suspect murray is going to make a deal just to get swindled. You might do slightly better, but Murray isn't going to let the team get taken to the cleaners.

EDIT: And it's 6 games in.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:10 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
The way the article suggests is that there wouldnt be futures involved or any desperate situations. It seemed to merely be a can we help eachother, like a F for a D or a D for a F, maybe too many people at one position or an area of need each team has and an excess at that position.

Also, just a pet peeve, but I hate diction that comes off as youre speaking on behalf of the GM and what you say is 100% conclusive.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote