HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers' Willingness to Deal

Old
10-20-2010, 01:29 PM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Panthers' Willingness to Deal

How long do you think Tallon will give players until he ships them out due to underachieving? I'm a big Frolik fan and I'm a bit worried that he may be on a shorter leash due to a slow (in terms of points) start. I would hate to deal him as I want him to be part of the core going forward but I do think he has very high trade value.

There are rumblings from Ottawa that Bryan Murray is open to dealing due to their slow start. Obviously our team chemistry is looking better than ever and I would not want to toy with it at all right now, but if Jason Spezza or some other players on Ottawa became available, would any of you be interested in kicking the tires with Murray?

I personally don't think Spezza is much of an answer given where we're at right now, but he is a legitimate first line center and has terrific playmaking abilities (something we lack outside of Weiss IMO). Working against him, however, is that his attitude/on-ice presence seems to be the opposite of what we're trying to establish here currently. Any thoughts one way or the other? I know it was discussed over summer but things are a little different now that the season is underway.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Erick

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Spezza put us over the cap?

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:57 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Spezza is set to make $7M until 2014-2015. Based upon this trade scenario and the piece going back to OTT, we could conceivably be over the cap.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:58 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Depends who's going back the other way. I'm not talking about financials so much as I'm wondering if something like this could be a possibility over the course of the season. Ottawa has some of the biggest goaltending issues in the league behind Philly IMO, so if Vokie were to be moved later in the year depending upon our position in the standings, Ottawa would be one of the most logical choices if they're still in it.

Old
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Depends who's going back the other way. I'm not talking about financials so much as I'm wondering if something like this could be a possibility over the course of the season. Ottawa has some of the biggest goaltending issues in the league behind Philly IMO, so if Vokie were to be moved later in the year depending upon our position in the standings, Ottawa would be one of the most logical choices if they're still in it.
If Ottawa doesn't believe it can contend, they're not going to trade for Vokoun (who only has this year left on his contract).

Also, if the Panthers believe they're in contention for a playoff spot, trading Vokoun wouldn't make any sense, either.

Trading Vokoun = tanking the year.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

even if we are playoff bound, if another team offers us an amazing return for Vokoun i'd take it, this would be an equally good player at his position, and I don't mean defense

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
FlaPanthers7

I don't see why Tallon wouldn't trade anyone from a prior regime if the price is right. With Frolik, he's cheap, young and talented, which is the Panther mantra. So I don't know that from an organizational standpoint, trading for Spezza will happen (salary, salary, salary). But I could see Frolik being traded for another top young prospect, likely N. American and probably a center too! Again, I could see it happening but that doesn't mean I think it will happen. Frolik's got a lot of talent and to give up on him this early could really come back to bite us.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

We're currently at 8.4 under the cap, Spezza wouldn't put us over, but what we'd likely have to give up for him may not be worth it. However, stars never garner huge returns, so who knows.

Tallon's shown clearly that he's a demanding GM and I think he'll do what it takes to put together a successful team here, even if that means losing a future player who could be solid, but isn't getting it done currently. I've seen some Hawk fans gripe because he let this or that player walk/get traded/picked up, but dude, they won the Cup! And that was certainly due in HUGE part to Tallon and his decisions.

Do I think the guy's a hockey guru who can do no wrong? Certainly not, but I honestly have more trust in him than I've had in anyone in a very long time.

10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We're currently at 8.4 under the cap, Spezza wouldn't put us over, but what we'd likely have to give up for him may not be worth it. However, stars never garner huge returns, so who knows.

Tallon's shown clearly that he's a demanding GM and I think he'll do what it takes to put together a successful team here, even if that means losing a future player who could be solid, but isn't getting it done currently. I've seen some Hawk fans gripe because he let this or that player walk/get traded/picked up, but dude, they won the Cup! And that was certainly due in HUGE part to Tallon and his decisions.

Do I think the guy's a hockey guru who can do no wrong? Certainly not, but I honestly have more trust in him than I've had in anyone in a very long time.
Same here. And I love the people on HFboards that try to minimize the impact Tallon had on the Hawks' Cup.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM
PanthersRule96

One of the reasons why I started the thread is I can definitely see him shopping Frolik in due time if he doesn't pick it up soon. He's not really a Tallon-type guy but I really hope we don't deal him for a prospect like Kyle Beach or someone like that. I think of all our young offensive guys, Frolik will be the one to blossom despite this slow start. He's still incredibly young and will take a bit to develop further IMO.

Btw random but Horton looks amazing up in Boston. Everytime I see a boston highlight, he's in the middle of a goal. Too bad he could play like that consistently down here but I appreciated him for his time here.

Old
10-20-2010, 03:36 PM
panthersfan751

I'd be surprised if we took on Spezza's salary and his cap hit. Even with getting rid of the vets this year, we still have to give some of our RFA's raises after this year. And we have to budget for Kulikov, Gudbranson, Markstrom after they come off their ELC's.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
SNOOP97DAWG

the only thing i see happening here is a decision come trade deadline for vokoun.... if its obvious they are not making it in they will trade for more picks unless its and out of this world return... Tallon is waiting until next summer to make additions seeing that there is going to be more cap space due to expiring contracts that he wont renew. So expect a combination of more draft picks and FA additions next year

SNOOP97DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote