HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oh for the love of.... Gervais???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,589
vCash: 50
Oh for the love of.... Gervais???

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...bailey-is-not/


On Bruno Gervais practicing at forward: If we decide to go with seven D, it gives Bruno a comfort level playing up front. Its also good from a conditioning standpoint.


I hope this is not Gordon's way of working him in as a forward while also having him play defense.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:50 PM
  #2
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...bailey-is-not/


On Bruno Gervais practicing at forward: If we decide to go with seven D, it gives Bruno a comfort level playing up front. Its also good from a conditioning standpoint.


I hope this is not Gordon's way of working him in as a forward while also having him play defense.
I was thinking of Bailey and Hunter cannot go tomorrow, Hillen would be a good candidate for a spot at forward, but Gervais is not a bad option, his biggest problems are usually behind the net defensively so as long as he can skate and bring the puck deep into the opposing zone he can fill in, might be smart to have him play with Nielsen tomorrow if that is the case.

If this means he takes a defensive shift, not good, unless Wizzer and Mottau were ejected in a line brawl.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 12:52 PM
  #3
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,693
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
I am gonna get abused for this but believe it or not I really like this...quietly, I have been saying for awhile that we should give Bruno a shot as a forward. In the offensive zone he is not terrible and he looks comfortable down deep. Plus what do we have to lose trying him out up front in practice.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:06 PM
  #4
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
I am gonna get abused for this but believe it or not I really like this...quietly, I have been saying for awhile that we should give Bruno a shot as a forward. In the offensive zone he is not terrible and he looks comfortable down deep. Plus what do we have to lose trying him out up front in practice.
I may get abused for this but I would rather see PAP Smear get double shifted than having The Chef back in our line up.

The guy has hands of stone, and he plays like his stick is made from a rubber tree plant.

Practice OK. Game NO WAY!!!

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:53 PM
  #5
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Better than Gillies.

But I think this is being done only in case of emergency (Hunter can't go).

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:55 PM
  #6
the sweetener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
i like the idea of hillen as forward better then gervais but at least this way they can try to keep him in game shape.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:32 PM
  #7
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
game shape point is actually valid. no sense in having the guy at all (and that's not the debate here) if you're not going to keep him familiar with the pace of the game.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:53 PM
  #8
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Could maybe be interesting in a game where we aren't dressing Gillies (or Hunter, etc is still hurt). He seemed to have some offensive ability, was mostly his defensive lapses that drove us nuts. Basically can't hurt and who knows, maybe he finds a small role.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
  #9
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,117
vCash: 500
Not sure what Gillies brings as Konopka and Sim will drop the gloves and can actually contribute more than just that. Gervais could provide an option if we are playing a team that is quicker and less likely to fight

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:05 PM
  #10
redbull
springtime hockey!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,523
vCash: 500
I wouldn't worry about Gervais one way or the other. If he gets a look at forward for one game, likely playing under 5 minutes, while Bailey, Hunter, Okposo, Schremp, Hilbert are hurt and you don't want to call-up anyone from Bridgeport then so be it.

I suspect Gervais will be waived at some point this season.

I kinda think the team SHOULD waive him, allow him to continue his career on another team. It's the right (and classy) move IMO.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:10 PM
  #11
Dice on Ice
Registered User
 
Dice on Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
I'd be OK with Gervais in a bottom six role as a defensive specialist for a couple shifts, but nothing more than that

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
  #12
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I wouldn't worry about Gervais one way or the other. If he gets a look at forward for one game, likely playing under 5 minutes, while Bailey, Hunter, Okposo, Schremp, Hilbert are hurt and you don't want to call-up anyone from Bridgeport then so be it.

I suspect Gervais will be waived at some point this season.

I kinda think the team SHOULD waive him, allow him to continue his career on another team. It's the right (and classy) move IMO.
If he gets waived I doubt anyone will pick him up. And I think he will get waived as soon as Schremp gets back (and our d manages to stay healthy).

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
  #13
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Not sure what Gillies brings as Konopka and Sim will drop the gloves and can actually contribute more than just that. Gervais could provide an option if we are playing a team that is quicker and less likely to fight
Really? I never thought of Sim as a fighter.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
  #14
StuDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I wouldn't worry about Gervais one way or the other. If he gets a look at forward for one game, likely playing under 5 minutes, while Bailey, Hunter, Okposo, Schremp, Hilbert are hurt and you don't want to call-up anyone from Bridgeport then so be it.

I suspect Gervais will be waived at some point this season.

I kinda think the team SHOULD waive him, allow him to continue his career on another team. It's the right (and classy) move IMO.
I can see why they haven't waived him. Keep in mind that Martinek usually gets injured, and he's here for depth due to injuries.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
  #15
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
I can see why they haven't waived him. Keep in mind that Martinek usually gets injured, and he's here for depth due to injuries.
I wish we can give him Martinek's skills. Because the guy is still relatively young and a great person, it just sucks he's so terrible. I want to be a fan of his I do.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:51 PM
  #16
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,674
vCash: 500
Have no problem with this team looking to make use of the people it's paying in some useful capacity.

Lots of injuries up front, then give Gervais a shot if he responds well in practice.

I see him having a hard time skating like a forward, but he's not void of offensive instincts and would, theoretically, have a certain sense of responsibility in his own end.

I can say though, many Dmen do not make good forwards - and vice versa.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:34 PM
  #17
DaMick
at least we got D
 
DaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,433
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Keep him where he is...the press box

__________________
DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 08:52 PM
  #18
Islanderfan17
Registered User
 
Islanderfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,494
vCash: 500
And here I was thinking I'd never see his face again this season >.<

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
  #19
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by promputt View Post
Really? I never thought of Sim as a fighter.
Retired from fighting after having his orbital bone smashed in the fight against Mark Bell. This is when Sim was with the Thrashers.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:26 PM
  #20
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Have no problem with this team looking to make use of the people it's paying in some useful capacity.

Lots of injuries up front, then give Gervais a shot if he responds well in practice.

I see him having a hard time skating like a forward, but he's not void of offensive instincts and would, theoretically, have a certain sense of responsibility in his own end.

I can say though, many Dmen do not make good forwards - and vice versa.
I can really only think of Ken Klee in this department.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 11:27 PM
  #21
majormet
Registered User
 
majormet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dix Hills, NY
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
If he gets waived I doubt anyone will pick him up. And I think he will get waived as soon as Schremp gets back (and our d manages to stay healthy).
I've watched a few games the past few nights. Gervais could make some of these teams like Carolina or Vancouver even.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 12:20 AM
  #22
PatioTT
 
PatioTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Country: Sweden
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
THrow Trent on IR and bring up Matt Martin. Hes better anyway and if you disagree you have some sort of syndrome. Bruno would be a terrible foward, Hillen would be a way better option. Way better shot, way better puck handeling, way better awareness.

PatioTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.