HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-17-2012, 09:16 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
In "1" you lock the gearbox to the first gear, in "2" to 1-2 and in "3" to 1-2-3, Drive uses all gears. Using a lower gear is a good way to not overheat your brakes when driving downhill.
I go downhill every day because my work is at the top of a small mountain, should I go downhill in 1 or 2?

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:22 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I go downhill every day because my work is at the top of a small mountain, should I go downhill in 1 or 2?
no let the car do its thing, better to overheat brakes which probably wont happen unless your towing 8000lbs up and down the coquihalla highway then overheat transmission, brakes are cheaper then transmission repairs.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
no let the car do its thing, better to overheat brakes which probably wont happen unless your towing 8000lbs up and down the coquihalla highway then overheat transmission, brakes are cheaper then transmission repairs.
Ditto. The ''speed'' are there only if you are hauling something.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:32 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
To be fair BMW is grossly overrated. Good cars but they don't blow their whole class away as some claim.
yes they do- as Jeremy Clarkson says the 3 series is the car that sets the bar for other manufacturers to follow. Go 260kmh in any Acura or most Lexus's and then do 260kmh in a 320i and u tell me the difference.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
yes they do- as Jeremy Clarkson says the 3 series is the car that sets the bar for other manufacturers to follow. Go 260kmh in any Acura or most Lexus's and then do 260kmh in a 320i and u tell me the difference.
None of them are made for this. THAT'S IT.

Well the Is-F, m3 and TL-S are kinda made for it .. but still.

Anyway, this is not what he meant. It's not the ''best of it's category'' because Jeremy said this.

It mean's it's a bench mark car. Just like the Miata is a bench mark car for the small roadster, or the wrangler for off-road vehicule.

Last edited by Mrb1p: 10-17-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old
10-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Ditto. The ''speed'' are there only if you are hauling something.
I kinda disagree with both of you, but it definitely depends on the quality of your car. If I'm driving a Kia, I don't mess with the transmission, lol. Probably avoid it with turbo VWs, too. Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, BMW/Benz, etc, though? I don't see why not. If you do it right, you do no damage to the transmission, but reduce the heat (and ultimately wear) on your brakes in the process.

Key is, when you pull onto a highway, take note of the highest RPM you normally get to before your automatic switches up for you. Try not to exceed those RPMs when using 1/2/3 to engine brake your car. From there, you basically just choose whichever one lets you coast in the flow of traffic without having to use your gas or brakes (or use them the least). Key warning, though, is that most automatics don't like to be in 1st gear anywhere near/above 50 kph, so 2 (or 3 if you have it) is typically just fine for long hills on secondary or suburban streets.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I feel the difference well before that. I have pushed my 2004 Accord to 200 kph (all my vehicles get the test at least once in their lives, lol), and the handling/steering reponse difference between my 1987 535i and it is night and day up around those speeds. Surprisingly, the Accord has a really good RPM range (cruises exactly 120 kph @ exactly 2500 RPM), and doesn't howl as much as I thought it would at 200, but the sound and feeling isn't nearly as confidence inspiring as my old 5 series - 20 years and about 150000 kms on the odometer difference between them.

And by confidence inspiring, I mean that in my 5 you'd swear you were barely speeding if you weren't whipping by people in the other lane. In the Honda, it takes a few minutes for the adrenaline to wear down, lol (and about a litre of oil to top up the reservoir... unlike both my 5 and 7 which barely ever seemed to lose a drop no matter what I did to them). It's quite a nice, comfortable ride up to around 160, though.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
That must have been a typo, at the 320i versus Lexus comparison

My wifes Accord blows the 320i away. Better performance, better equipped, better price, better car.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:06 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

My wifes Accord blows the 320i away. Better performance, better equipped, better price, better car.
your right but my point is your accord over 200kmh starts to float and does not give you much comfidence to maneuver or brake, Ive been 230kmh in a 320i and felt quite comfortable other then the fact it took 5min to get there, that the difference, you have no idea how underated near perfect 50-50 balance is.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:13 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
None of them are made for this. THAT'S IT.

Well the Is-F, m3 and TL-S are kinda made for it .. but still.

Anyway, this is not what he meant. It's not the ''best of it's category'' because Jeremy said this.

It mean's it's a bench mark car. Just like the Miata is a bench mark car for the small roadster, or the wrangler for off-road vehicule.
dude I go to tremblant and calabogie a few times a summer, I have brakes and suspension upgrades, a supercharger adding 45hp and really amazing tires you would be amazed what my lowly 330i keeps up to especially at calabogie which is very technical compared to tremblant where the bigger engines pull away from me pretty easily on the long straights.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
your right but my point is your accord over 200kmh starts to float and does not give you much comfidence to maneuver or brake, Ive been 230kmh in a 320i and felt quite comfortable other then the fact it took 5min to get there, that the difference, you have no idea how underated near perfect 50-50 balance is.
Do you have a track and a 320i I can try, I want to check out what you're saying for myself .

Old
10-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

You'll get it better equipped for the same price/better, but in absolute terms the most fully-loaded Accord (even my EX-L) doesn't come as well equipped as a fully optioned BMW of any model - details including walnut and chrome trim options, heated steering wheel, BMW assist with Bluetooth, etc. Not nearly as well engineered either, and while the horsepower battle is ~180 each... most roads have corners, and plenty have hills as well. Transmission, torque, suspension, and brakes will win the performance battle for the BMW everywhere including the 1/4 mile, I believe, unless you're in the V6 Accord with 270 horsepower, or whatever ridiculous amount they've shoved in there now. Even then, the 0-100 times are 6.6s for the V6 Accord (9.X for the 4 cyl) vs 7.2s for the 320i.

The BMW will use far less fuel (and oil, probably) too, I promise you (thanks to "cutting edge" technology that someone rumoured as missing in BMWs vs the "regular cars"). That V6 Accord will dust a 320i for sure. Thing is, though, that I think they're both (2012 Accord V6 and 2012 BMW 320i) in the roughly $35/36K range, so it's still a pretty tough choice.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You'll get it better equipped for the same price/better, but in absolute terms the most fully-loaded Accord (even my EX-L) doesn't come as well equipped as a fully optioned BMW of any model - details including walnut and chrome trim options, heated steering wheel, BMW assist with Bluetooth, etc. Not nearly as well engineered either, and while the horsepower battle is ~180 each... most roads have corners, and plenty have hills as well. Transmission, torque, suspension, and brakes will win the performance battle for the BMW everywhere including the 1/4 mile, I believe, unless you're in the V6 Accord with 270 horsepower, or whatever ridiculous amount they've shoved in there now. Even then, the 0-100 times are 6.6s for the V6 Accord (9.X for the 4 cyl) vs 7.2s for the 320i.

The BMW will use far less fuel (and oil, probably) too, I promise you (thanks to "cutting edge" technology that someone rumoured as missing in BMWs vs the "regular cars"). That V6 Accord will dust a 320i for sure. Thing is, though, that I think they're both (2012 Accord V6 and 2012 BMW 320i) in the roughly $35/36K range, so it's still a pretty tough choice.
My Accord EX-L V6 is going to have wood trim, about 100 more HP, more torque, better resale, Bluetooth and Navigation standard, sunroof standard, lane departure system, crash warning, heated leather electronically adjustable seats on both sides standard, front, side, rear camera systems, rain sensing wipers and a variable cylinder management system that gets probably better mileage on the highway.

By the time you get that stuff on the 320i (if it's even possible) the Accord has a enormous cost advantage. I can get all that for about $42K on the road. The BMW not even close to that.

So all that versus the "feel" when I head into a corner and a heated steering wheel , hmmmm I have a tough decision there.

This was about Lexus and it turned into an Accord discussion.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:10 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu
I feel the difference well before that. I have pushed my 2004 Accord to 200 kph (all my vehicles get the test at least once in their lives, lol), and the handling/steering reponse difference between my 1987 535i and it is night and day up around those speeds. Surprisingly, the Accord has a really good RPM range (cruises exactly 120 kph @ exactly 2500 RPM), and doesn't howl as much as I thought it would at 200, but the sound and feeling isn't nearly as confidence inspiring as my old 5 series - 20 years and about 150000 kms on the odometer difference between them.
I went a bit over 200 with my 2000 accord (that is still in excellent shape today, amazing car!). I won't do it again but don't regret it. From 170kmh on the safety feeling really starts to go downhill pretty fast..

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Zam Boni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Probably not, using lower gears is for alp-like descends were you are using your brakes more or less constantly to keep the speed in check.

THEN you're running a risk of over-heating your brakes, or you rather start experiences brake fading problems far before they actually over heat.

I'm pretty sure it is covered in the car's user manual.

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Zam Boni

Quote:
You won't overheat your transmission by engine braking, no way.
Hard acceleration, especially from stand still it was kills transmissions.
Going to first when doing 55 will obviously do it in as well, but that is not what we are talking about..

Zam Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
My Accord EX-L V6 is going to have wood trim, about 100 more HP, more torque, better resale, Bluetooth and Navigation standard, sunroof standard, lane departure system, crash warning, heated leather electronically adjustable seats on both sides standard, front, side, rear camera systems, rain sensing wipers and a variable cylinder management system that gets probably better mileage on the highway.

By the time you get that stuff on the 320i (if it's even possible) the Accord has a enormous cost advantage. I can get all that for about $42K on the road. The BMW not even close to that.
Interesting, as the dealer never informed me of a wood trim package for my Accord, and it's not an option when "building" an Accord from their website. I've definitely never seen one, and would suspect wood veneer even if I did. But like I said, the 2012 are selling at pretty much the same price point right now. And btw, I'm pretty sure everything you listed above (and more) IS, in fact, in the list of options that I just navigated through building my 320i from the BMW site.

Quote:
So all that versus the "feel" when I head into a corner and a heated steering wheel , hmmmm I have a tough decision there.

This was about Lexus and it turned into an Accord discussion.
Nothing was "about Lexus", it's about Honda as an example of a reliable and affordable alternative to something like a BMW. I've owned both (BMW, 535 and 735, not the 320, and the Accord), so I feel I'm able to compare them, that's all. I'd still have the BMW in a heartbeat, even at a slightly higher price point. That "feel" difference is very real, and I'd recommend test driving one to at least see if you notice the difference. If you don't, you probably don't drive in a way that will take advantage of your new 271 HP, and I'd suggest saving even more money by dropping down to a similarly optioned 4-cyl model for your daily commute instead.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I went a bit over 200 with my 2000 accord (that is still in excellent shape today, amazing car!). I won't do it again but don't regret it. From 170kmh on the safety feeling really starts to go downhill pretty fast..
It sure does, lol. But I've definitely got the driving confidence/ability to see a car through that zone as long as it still feels like it's pulling. And the Accord definitely does. Just gotta remember to fill that oil back up before another week of commutes, haha.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
+1

Brakes are for deceleration.

Gears are for acceleration.

It is an unfortunate misconception that downshifting to create deceleration is a technique of sporty driving. Spend time with a high performance driving instructor, he will make it clear that using engine compression to slow the car i the worst choice you can make.

Plus it unbalances the car in a way which is difficult to predict or control.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I kinda disagree with both of you, but it definitely depends on the quality of your car. If I'm driving a Kia, I don't mess with the transmission, lol. Probably avoid it with turbo VWs, too. Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, BMW/Benz, etc, though? I don't see why not. If you do it right, you do no damage to the transmission, but reduce the heat (and ultimately wear) on your brakes in the process.

Key is, when you pull onto a highway, take note of the highest RPM you normally get to before your automatic switches up for you. Try not to exceed those RPMs when using 1/2/3 to engine brake your car. From there, you basically just choose whichever one lets you coast in the flow of traffic without having to use your gas or brakes (or use them the least). Key warning, though, is that most automatics don't like to be in 1st gear anywhere near/above 50 kph, so 2 (or 3 if you have it) is typically just fine for long hills on secondary or suburban streets.
I am only trying to save you from the repair bills you are opening yourself up to here when I say, do not do this.

Not only is it inefficient, it is dangerous and will lead to premature usage of parts much more costly than brake pads.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
dude I go to tremblant and calabogie a few times a summer, I have brakes and suspension upgrades, a supercharger adding 45hp and really amazing tires you would be amazed what my lowly 330i keeps up to especially at calabogie which is very technical compared to tremblant where the bigger engines pull away from me pretty easily on the long straights.
...Are we talking about factory here ? Because that's what I tought we we're doing. Your car is not stock.

Just like a civic can follow a 911 pretty easily with money investment.

I'd be amazed to see you go against those same car, whitout the modifications.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
+1

Brakes are for deceleration.

Gears are for acceleration.

It is an unfortunate misconception that downshifting to create deceleration is a technique of sporty driving. Spend time with a high performance driving instructor, he will make it clear that using engine compression to slow the car i the worst choice you can make.

Plus it unbalances the car in a way which is difficult to predict or control.
That's why they invented the heel-toe technique!

Old
10-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

The most important change you can make to a car is upgrading the tires. I would say 90% of all problems with a car go away if you upgrade the tires.

I side with the using the brake guys. My choice would be to go down the hill a lot slower and not wait until you built up too much speed.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
The most important change you can make to a car is upgrading the tires. I would say 90% of all problems with a car go away if you upgrade the tires.
Any good, relatively cheap winter tires suggestions? I think my summer tires are still good (even if used) but I have absolutely no confidence in my garbage winter tires anymore. They are too small, very old, and were used a lot. I dunno if I should try to keep them this winter again (and I'm going to drive about 80km a day..) or simply buy a new set.

About compression - I often use it to go downhill (and that happens a lot in Qc city) and to decelerate to take highway exits. You guys pretty much convinced me to stop that. I have new brakes anyways, they should last a while I hope!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Any good, relatively cheap winter tires suggestions? I think my summer tires are still good (even if used) but I have absolutely no confidence in my garbage winter tires anymore. They are too small, very old, and were used a lot. I dunno if I should try to keep them this winter again (and I'm going to drive about 80km a day..) or simply buy a new set.

About compression - I often use it to go downhill (and that happens a lot in Qc city) and to decelerate to take highway exits. You guys pretty much convinced me to stop that. I have new brakes anyways, they should last a while I hope!
I don't really have any good suggestions. I like to buy better quality tires and I have been happy with Michelin for the most part. I like to go to the tirerack.com website once in a while and look at their customer reviews.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote