HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-22-2010, 08:30 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
guys what about
the 2007 Acura TL type S? better than any of the 4 i mentioned?
Imo a great year too, I hate the new body, I like the 07's body a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Audi and "reliability" don't really go together... Personally I think Lexus sedans are really sexy, but the 250 to me is like owning a 328i... it's just not the real deal. Also Lexus has had some recalls recently of 2004-2006 models. With BMW you'll pay for the name along with expensive repairs (outside of warranty) and also an ugly interior. A G37 is about 10-12k cheaper than a 335i with a very similar engine and performance.

I drive a G37xs and while I am obv going to be bias when I did my research into brands it seemed to me that Infiniti had a great mix of every feature out there. They have great performance, sexy designs interior and exterior, good reliability, good price (compared to the German cars), etc...

The only negatives on the G so far for me are the paint being too fragile (you NEED a clear bra the day you buy it) and also the backseats are not foldable. I'm also not too thrilled with the MPG on it but I didn't buy the car to save on gas.. Aside from those, everything else has been great.

If you want to wait a bit the G25 is going to be out in Canada soon, I assume. It's like a 37 but with a smaller engine, cheaper but with less options.
Yeah I've heard they scratch up big time, cause of rocks on the road and such.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:45 AM
jdmef8vtec*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Audi and "reliability" don't really go together... Personally I think Lexus sedans are really sexy, but the 250 to me is like owning a 328i... it's just not the real deal. Also Lexus has had some recalls recently of 2004-2006 models. With BMW you'll pay for the name along with expensive repairs (outside of warranty) and also an ugly interior. A G37 is about 10-12k cheaper than a 335i with a very similar engine and performance.

I drive a G37xs and while I am obv going to be bias when I did my research into brands it seemed to me that Infiniti had a great mix of every feature out there. They have great performance, sexy designs interior and exterior, good reliability, good price (compared to the German cars), etc...

The only negatives on the G so far for me are the paint being too fragile (you NEED a clear bra the day you buy it) and also the backseats are not foldable. I'm also not too thrilled with the MPG on it but I didn't buy the car to save on gas.. Aside from those, everything else has been great.

If you want to wait a bit the G25 is going to be out in Canada soon, I assume. It's like a 37 but with a smaller engine, cheaper but with less options.
dude you have no idea the 335i as a half second on the G37 on the quarter mile, and would run circles around it on a track. Every year we get sent to circuit mont tremblant in may and we spend one day in class with reps from all manufacturers and we present our vehicles there specs options whats new, and the second day we spend on the track, this year we had the 335i, C350, IS350, G37, A6 3.2 we drove them around the track and we're timed on laps, the fastest and best handling by far was the 335i, the Audi was probably the second quickest but handled like crap. The IS350 sounds amazing at full throttle but didnt have that sports car feel around the track very loose, the C350 as to be the sexiest looking out of all them but Mercedes unless you go AMG lack slightly in power and handling compared to the 335i. The G37 had the best brakes but that car struggled to keep up to the competition in almost every aspect, except long term the Nissan modified VQ engine is probably the best V6 power plant ever built.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 07:51 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Okay yeah the Genesis Coupe, of course that's underrated it's the best car on the market for the price if you're into fast cars. (And it gets slept on, even I didn't bring it up in this thread but to be fair that style of car was never asked for and if I had to choose I'd still take a Honda in my own case)

PS: You might be right about lexus being more reliable but I'd argue it's a hair line victory for either company regardless. Toyota and Honda are the two best car companies in the world imo for dependability versus value/cost. No reason why that wouldn't translate to Lexus and Acura.

One thing I will say though, recent studies showed that Buick is the most reliable car, so I would take some of these "studies" with a grain of salt.

http://mobilelink.caranddriver.com/n...study-car_news

Mercury yeah until you take it to the dealership and they purposely **** your car up.

Oh and by the way look where our friends at VW are sitting

To the guy who said Nissan is **** all though I do take these "studies" with a grain of salt I'll give you this one just for the fact that it does list them low, but notice Infinity isn't in the same boat.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...-roll-for-2010

Subaru is #1 in reliability, tied with Honda. So, you get arguably the best AWD system in the business, and the most reliable brand going.

Tell me again how you lose?

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 07:54 AM
equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Is there anybody else than me who's excited about Tesla's S Model coming out soon?
Yes, #2163 will be mine

equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 08:31 AM
superstar436

just want an advice

do you think I will get ripped off if I buy a certified 2007 honda accord from a honda dealer for 15-16K ( 6 yrs / 120 KM ). I know if I get it from a person I will pay 13K, but through a certified dealer I would get peace of mind.

Is it true the accord lost some reliability after 2008

I will not deal with mtl-autoprix or gh gregoire

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 08:52 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
just want an advice

do you think I will get ripped off if I buy a certified 2007 honda accord from a honda dealer for 15-16K ( 6 yrs / 120 KM ). I know if I get it from a person I will pay 13K, but through a certified dealer I would get peace of mind.

Is it true the accord lost some reliability after 2008

I will not deal with mtl-autoprix or gh gregoire
You're paying for piece of mind . But from my knowledge, Accord's don't break. It's rare. I was informed of Tranny problems in the 2003 model; but I THINK 2007 is a safe bet.

Like right on kijijij there is a 2007 accords with 70km's being sold by owner, for $12K. The same car would be 15K-16K at a dealer, and at the dealer you have to pay 2 taxes.

Essentially, if you can buy an accord off a person you trust (not someone "sketchy"), such as a family in the suburbs / old people , and you can get it for 2 to 4 K under what the dealer would price it at -- I would just buy it privately -- and get a loan from the bank if I have to. Don't buy a car from younger person that puts an audio system inside, mags, tint the windows... they most likely booted and are often trying to package the accessories in the price. Also, check for servicing records... if the car has been serviced at the dealer than you know you are really safe.

I got priced for an 2006 Accord with 60KM at a dealer -- $300 for 5 years... Personally I'm not going for it as I don't want to deal with payments for that long nor do I want to allocate 15k in cash towards a car.

H-gregoire has very competitive pricing, and you can get a carproof on it, but something about them feels very sketchy ... Besides, they get their cars from either people who declared bankruptcy (and these kind of people don't maintain their car) or cars that the dealers don't want to keep... I've also read stories that they buy their cars from rental companies like Avis for really cheap -- though I don't see many rental comapnies offering hondas as rentals.

Last edited by coolasprICE: 10-23-2010 at 09:02 AM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:02 AM
mt_mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
hey man thx for suggestion. i'll look into it. why is that acura not in the same class?
The TSX is in the same class as the A4 and IS250. The TL and G37 are bigger sedans- more room/more power.

Like others have mentioned, I would be a little hesitant to go with an Audi, if I were buying one used that didn't have any warranty (original bumper to bumper) left.

My best advice- go test drive each one of the cars you are looking at, and then take it from there.

mt_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Cool. The 2008 redesign was really nice. I suppose you have the sedan? or did you buy the coupe?

sedan. I have elderly in-laws and kids to run about with. There aren't enough O's in smooooth to describe how this car shifts and accelerates. It feels good to have 268 horses under the hood and also know you aren't giving up your entire salary to fuel bills.
Honda is generous with the leather and features for the price tag.

Like I said I have had 4 Accords and an Acura and I've been virtually problem free. One Accord went to 350K still going strong.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:13 PM
mt_mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
sedan. I have elderly in-laws and kids to run about with. There aren't enough O's in smooooth to describe how this car shifts and accelerates. It feels good to have 268 horses under the hood and also know you aren't giving up your entire salary to fuel bills.
Honda is generous with the leather and features for the price tag.

Like I said I have had 4 Accords and an Acura and I've been virtually problem free. One Accord went to 350K still going strong.
Hmmm...I actually found the leather to be cheap,, and thought it had more of a "vinyl" feel to it! Other than that, I enjoyed it and was pleased with the car.

mt_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 04:23 PM
coolasprICE

I just purchased a 2000 Honda Civic EX sedan with ONLY 85,000 KM + 8 tires (winter / summer ) ... from an older couple in CSL who used it as their 2nd car .... they were getting a new car and just wanted this one gone ... Asking $3200 and got it for $2500 -- which is a great deal.

I went from a Subaru AWD, to 2005 Accords to a 2000 civic ..

Whatever, at that price I was like wtf... it's a winter beater! Plus I could drive it for the winter and probably sell it for more in the spring than what I paid

Last edited by coolasprICE: 10-23-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old
10-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I just purchased a 2000 Honda Civic EX sedan with ONLY 85,000 KM + 8 tires (winter / summer ) ... from an older couple in CSL who used it as their 2nd car .... they were getting a new car and just wanted this one gone ... Asking $3200 and got it for $2500 -- which is a great deal.

Whatever, at that price I was like wtf... it's a winter beater! Plus I could drive it for the winter and probably sell it for more in the spring than what I paid
IP, I think we might have a future buyer for the car you listed earlier in this thread.

Actually that's a really good deal. The 8 tires alone are probably worth close to $2500. Having such low mileage is another definite plus. Nice purchase.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 07:08 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

Well maybe the old guy was smarter then you. He told you it had only 85k for a 10.5 year old car and you believed him HAHAHAH do you think this old guy does not know how to role back the meter???? and since he is OLD he might have had 9 crashes with the darn thing and a now bent frame ready to split in TWO. And this senile guy always forgot to change the oil.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 07:59 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Well maybe the old guy was smarter then you. He told you it had only 85k for a 10.5 year old car and you believed him HAHAHAH do you think this old guy does not know how to role back the meter???? and since he is OLD he might have had 9 crashes with the darn thing and a now bent frame ready to split in TWO. And this senile guy always forgot to change the oil.
Dude, it's a well to do jewish couple who's wife used it very casually... they mostly used his Acura SUV... They lived in a spanking new luxury condo , not the type of ppl that want to make an extra few bucks.... They serviced it at Honda excel for the 1st 4 years of ownership (it was initially leased and they bought it after lease expired).

And on top of it the "change oil" sticker indicated 83,000 km's at the time in April with the next oil change due at 88,000... and it's currently at 85,000 . 6 months later... So ya, the mileage made sense. Not everybody drives 20,000 KM per year... That's why they always say to buy from a "Granny".

I know when and type of people I can trust.. I got good instinct don't worry about it

Last edited by coolasprICE: 10-23-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old
10-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
IP, I think we might have a future buyer for the car you listed earlier in this thread.
The guy will have to take a number; i've had many offers from car junkyards...er CLIENTS i mean. I meant to say clients there.

Yeah, thats it: "clients"!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:19 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post

Subaru is #1 in reliability, tied with Honda. So, you get arguably the best AWD system in the business, and the most reliable brand going.

Says this website.... but either way I'm a huge Honda fan, just saying though I don't see how Honda's crosstour could be terrible AWD compared to Subaru.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:24 PM
superstar436

I don,t want tobring this thread from the dead

I just wanna ask about pre-sale or bumper to bumper car inspection.

CAA does 180 point inspection
canadian tire does a pre-sale inspection

Is it CAA themselves who does or they just certify any mechanic who pays a membership to get their certifcation.

Do you know how thourough is Canadian Tire inspection. Is it 180 points or less.

Do you know any other good known mechanic shop

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post

this is predicted reliability which is based on some predictive science I guess. Honda and Toyota have always been 1a and 1b in the reliabilty game, and last year only Honda got CR's automatic buy recommendation when Toyota began having problems.

In terms of real historical reliability it's Honda on top, and they are also #1 in the world with customer loyalty (which ties into reliability) . Almost 2/3 of Honda owners trade their Hondas in for another new Honda.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Have to sell a car, needs help

Hi,

I'll try to make a long story short....My dad had a Hyundai Accent 2003, he died in December and I got the car. The idea is that I will want to see it to buy a SUV for me and the family. We already have 1 small car, no need for 2. Now, I'm old....but never old enough so that I had to sell a car to people....So I need some help. Here are the infos.

1- The car has around 49 000 km. Not a joke, not a trick, my dad used it to do the grocery and that was about it.
2- Who says Accent says a little rust. Under the hood a little, and strangely on the 2 "levers" (not sure it's the right word), the things that opens the trunk and the opening for gaz, on the left side of the conductor's seat. Which makes it a little hard to pull it up and down (Maybe there's something I could put on that so the rust dissapears but I don't know...)
3- Car is well equipped, electronic windows, CD, air conditioning, also come with a remote starter and door openings (my english sucks this morning...)
4- Mechanically, I had it check lately and they assured me it was fine with no big things to change aside having to buy new winter tires. But mechanically, it seems totally fine.

So the idea is....how much can I get for this. Knowing that it's a 2003, but with only 49 000 km, though how much does the rust cut the price down? Should I try to change those "levers"? Or even replace the hood? Will I get that money back? 'Cause again, everything else works perfectly fine.

Thanks for the responses. I hope to get some soon since I might have 1 or 2 buyers who are waiting for me to put a price on it...

I hope people go and see this thread, I see it's not used a whole lot.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Pedro McGuire*

Get yourself a used 2000~2004 ish subary Outback....go with the manual transmission cause the automatic is mostly a fwd. Manual is 50/50 power distribution. Its not to powerful but it will get you where you want, when you want. VERY reliable. it will cost you 3 to 6k depending on the mileage.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hi,

I'll try to make a long story short....My dad had a Hyundai Accent 2003, he died in December and I got the car. The idea is that I will want to see it to buy a SUV for me and the family. We already have 1 small car, no need for 2. Now, I'm old....but never old enough so that I had to sell a car to people....So I need some help. Here are the infos.

1- The car has around 49 000 km. Not a joke, not a trick, my dad used it to do the grocery and that was about it.
2- Who says Accent says a little rust. Under the hood a little, and strangely on the 2 "levers" (not sure it's the right word), the things that opens the trunk and the opening for gaz, on the left side of the conductor's seat. Which makes it a little hard to pull it up and down (Maybe there's something I could put on that so the rust dissapears but I don't know...)
3- Car is well equipped, electronic windows, CD, air conditioning, also come with a remote starter and door openings (my english sucks this morning...)
4- Mechanically, I had it check lately and they assured me it was fine with no big things to change aside having to buy new winter tires. But mechanically, it seems totally fine.

So the idea is....how much can I get for this. Knowing that it's a 2003, but with only 49 000 km, though how much does the rust cut the price down? Should I try to change those "levers"? Or even replace the hood? Will I get that money back? 'Cause again, everything else works perfectly fine.

Thanks for the responses. I hope to get some soon since I might have 1 or 2 buyers who are waiting for me to put a price on it...

Buy a 6$ spray bottle of clr and spray it on the rusted areas. I did it on my last car and it worked like a charm.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:31 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Hi,

You are probably not going to get the value that you deserve out of a vehicle with 49 000 km.

Could you keep that car and sell your current car?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hi,

1. First thing you need to do is take the car for a good run on the highway. If your Dad made several short trips, things might be clogged up a little bit. Pick up some fuel injector cleaner and add it to your gas before you take the car out.

2. As Shabutie mentioned, pick up some CLR spray and I would get some I think they're called "SOS pads" or steel wool. This should help remove any of the rust spots, if they aren't too bad. Also pick up some WD40 and go around and spray all the hinges and areas where you had rust when you're done. This will help slow down the "rusting" process.

3. Seems to have some good options.

4. I wouldn't bother purchasing new winter tires now. To buy 4 decent winter tires, you're looking at anywhere from $100-$150 each, not worth it IMO.

It's tough to say how much it's worth without knowing the model or whether the car has a manual or standard transmission.

Which one of the following is it?

1. 2003 Hyundai Accent GL 4D Sedan
2. 2003 Hyundai Accent GS 2D Hatchback
3. 2003 Hyundai Accent GSi 2D Hatchback

What I would recommend doing though, is going to your local bank, and asking them if they can give you the "Blue Book value" of the car. I don't know what it's called in French.

If you want to get a basic idea of the car's value, check out these websites. The first site seems better.

http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus.../03hyacnt.html

http://www.canadianblackbook.com/bla...Hyundai_Accent

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
neofury*

Trust me when I say this whitesnake, you'd be better off giving the car to a relative than selling it. It's a Hyundai from the rocky generation where they were still trying to become a good car company. While it's a decent car, I'm sure the fact that it's an old Hyundai will sway most people away. That and it's an accent arguably the cheapest and easiest car to get new in terms on financing, having a good warranty etc.

So I don't see a huge market for the car already. You'd probably be better off just doing a relative a huge favor, you'll never get the true resale value of that car I don't think. The reason I say that is because it's in good condition with low mileage. If it had been beaten I'd say you could sell it as a beater, but since it's in good condition I just don't see somebody giving you what you want for it.

Good luck though, I've seen worse cars sell for more than what they were worth, I just don't think the odds are great. Let us know how it goes though. Like I said you might be able to get around what it's worth I just don't think it'll be too easy, you may have to sit and wait a while. In the end I bet you'd be doing a relative or friend a favor selling it to them for what somebody you don't know will likely offer for it.

EDIT: Yeah noticed H10H links for 2-3k. I see you getting more in the 1-1.5k area to be honest. One thing you might be able to do is clean it up like H10H and others said and see what kind of trade in value Hyundai will give you for it. Their cars now a days are solid and you could probably find an amazing bang for buck SUV from them. Also you could see what other dealerships like Honda, Audi etc will give you for it too, though I'm sure they'll low ball you when compared with Hyundai.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Hi,

go onto kijiji.ca, and filter your search for the same year and model as your accent. I doubt you will find any with your low mileage, but it will give you at least an idea of what they are selling for. If you match your price with comparative car, you will sell it very quickly. Otherwise, you can prbly add an extra $500-1000 because of the low mileage.

I think you will not have a hard time selling the car because of the low mileage and there is big demand for affordable cars with low mileage.

Old
04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Habs

Quote:
Hi,

I'll try to make a long story short....My dad had a Hyundai Accent 2003, he died in December and I got the car.
Sorry about your dad, I lost my mom in August and understand how these things work.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote