HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Schaefer

Old
10-20-2010, 01:19 AM
SaskaToba

vCash: 500
Peter Schaefer

Ok... honestly, what does Peter Schaefer do that makes him useful to the Canucks?? In his 6 games I have not seen him produce a single scoring chance, make a hit, or even create a play. He just floats up and down the ice while pickin up a -3 on the season. I'd rather have Hordichuk or SOB playing forward...

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
He's apparently very good on the PK and his board work is also notable.

If he becomes a problem he has a two way contract.

Winnipeg Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Alan Jackson

The thing is, you could replace Peter Schaefer with Glass, Rypien, or Desbiens and make an equally valid point.

Is it possible that the 4th line is worse than last season?

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Rotang

This wouldn't be an issue if our coach would stop putting him in a top 9 role. The guy is a 4th liner who can log a decent amount of PK minutes, but he is completely out of his element when he gets moved up.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:22 AM
AirMinivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
The thing is, you could replace Peter Schaefer with Glass, Rypien, or Desbiens and make an equally valid point.

Is it possible that the 4th line is worse than last season?
It is, scary really.

Glass-Rypien/Bolduc-Desbiens will not cut it.

We badly need for Burrows to come back and for one of Schroeder or Hodgson to earn a 3rd line spot on the team and bump Torres (so far) and Schaefer, who aren't good enough to be 3rd liners, to the 4th line.

Torres-Bolduc-Schaefer would be good enough, imo. At least we have players in the system who can possibly get there, unlike last year where we were stuck with our 4th no matter what.

AirMinivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:28 AM
iceburg

It would be nice to have Morrison right now....

iceburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 03:57 AM
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
5 points in 5 games for Calgary...

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:01 AM
gobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Suck it, MG.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:14 AM
MS

I've been a Schaefer supporter - I think he's been quite good on the PK, and can be useful in a 4th line role to hold possession along the boards and put pucks into good places for the grit guys to crash and bang.

But playing him on the 2nd line is just ridiculous. I don't know what Vigneault was thinking. He's looked very ineffective 5-on-5, why he keeps getting promoted into top-9 situations I have no idea.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:15 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
...on their 2nd line with Nik Hagman and Olli Jokinen.

He wouldn't have that many points with Hansen and Kesler right now, that's for sure.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:26 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
...on their 2nd line with Nik Hagman and Olli Jokinen.

He wouldn't have that many points with Hansen and Kesler right now, that's for sure.
How would you know for sure?

And it could be easily raymond-mo-kesler for all we know.

I rather have mo as a top 6 forward than hansen.

ahmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 04:30 AM
biturbo19

I like Schaefer on this team and he's a great option as a player you can have on your 4th line to help control the puck and generate some opportunities to knock some bodies around in the offensive zone. He's also quite valuable on the PK and just for his defensive reliability in general. He's not going to put up huge points, but for a 4th line guy or as a 13th forward you can sub in from time to time, he's great and brings a really solid attitude.

But having him in the top-9 is looking pretty suspect, and having him in the top-6 is just completely absurd.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 05:54 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Scheafer< Wellwood.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 06:40 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow67 View Post
Ok... honestly, what does Peter Schaefer do that makes him useful to the Canucks?? In his 6 games I have not seen him produce a single scoring chance, make a hit, or even create a play. He just floats up and down the ice while pickin up a -3 on the season. I'd rather have Hordichuk or SOB playing forward...
I agree with you 100% but better yet Morrison sure would look good right about now, from what I understand we kept Schaefer over Morrison because he agreed to a two way contract I say we should exercise that option right away.

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

Look at it this way last year we had Hordichuck-Johnson-Rypien as a 4th line.

Johnson was a PKer....Rypien was a PKer and Hordichuk wasnt.

This year we have Desbiens-Rypien-Schaefer as a 4th line as of now.

Rypien is a PKer.....Schaefer is a PKer. Desbiens is not.

So basically we replaced Johnson and Hordichuck with Schaefer and Desbiens.

One killed penalties and one didn't.

So basically Schaefer was a replacement for Johnson on the 4th line and the PK.

IMO I would much rather have Scheafer in those situations than Johnson. People are expecting too much from our 4th liners.

Scheafer hasn't looked great but hasn't looked bad at all, he's been solid and doesn't get pinned in his own end. Which we saw countless times last year with our 4th line.

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
SaskaToba

Yeah he looks ridiculous playing top 9.... its really embarrassing to watch. Canucks really need Burrows back, and playing without Hamhuis and Ballard is disastrous.

IMO I would rather have Johnson or even Wellwood over Schaefer... I just don't see an upside, he's passed his prime.... thats not good news.

I don't really recall Rypien getting much PK time?? For sure Johnson as he is one of the best shot blockers in the league.. and Schaefer I guess plays positionally well on the PK but nothing spectacular.

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Basso

Shafes is coming back from a year off hockey, so it's hard to judge him after 6 games back. I am losing my patience with him though, but I think management will give him 30 games or so to settle in. If he doesn't work out, he's off to Manitoba for a cold stinit.

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:16 PM
wholesickcrew

I thought the Torres-Malhotra-Schaefer line actually looked pretty good last night with some good forechecking and pressure down low. Schaefer had a nice hit as well, and did a good job driving to the net.

As for Bolduc not cutting it on the fourth line, I for one would like to reserve my judgment until he's back from injury.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Schaefer has shown flashes of his old form but has also shown a good amount of rust as well. I think considering he didn't play last season he deserves a bit of patience. I can see slight improvements as he plays each game but there is a reason he only got a two way contract. Besides, Burrows will more than likely be back for game 11 and Schaefer's role will be reduced even more than it is now, possibly even eliminated if he doesn't continue to improve.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
I thought the Torres-Malhotra-Schaefer line actually looked pretty good last night with some good forechecking and pressure down low. Schaefer had a nice hit as well, and did a good job driving to the net.

As for Bolduc not cutting it on the fourth line, I for one would like to reserve my judgment until he's back from injury.
I agree. I still think within a month or two when his legs are completely back he's going to look a lot more capable offensively.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
You realize there would be the exact same thread for Mo if we had signed him and not Schaeffer right? It's the nature of the beast, people have a love affair with players not on the roster, once they're here, they can do no right.

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

A lot of you guys aren't considering the cap and one way vs. two way contracts here.

Just sayin'.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Peter Schaefer is probably the last thing I'd worry about regarding this team; he's been solid, if unspectacular, and is great on the PK. I don't know what else you want out of a fourth liner making minimum NHL wage on a two-way contract. Glass, Desbiens, and Rypien have all been worse players so far. And those saying they'd prefer Ryan Johnson have short memories or no idea how useless Johnson was here; at least Schaefer is solid defensively, and actually good on the PK...Johnson was really neither of those things.

I don't even mind Schaefer on the third line; yes Hansen is an upgrade mostly due to youth and physicality, but to date the Torres-Malhotra-Schaefer line has been establishing really good cycles, and not allowing many chances against. I think the offense will come in spurts from that line all year anyways.

Putting him on the second line was a laugh though; especially since Tambellini hasn't even been given a shot.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I have no complaints about Schaefer to this point. He has been solid on the penalty kill and otherwise pretty un-noticeable...nice features for a guy making peanuts on a two-way contract.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 04:38 PM
dangerous dan

Shaefer is a scrub who's not doing a lot to help the team, but ultimately he's not the reason we're losing games. In my mind, that has more to do with our goalie being a bum, having 3 of our top D-men out of the lineup and the fact that no one but Daniel Sedin can put the puck in the net.

dangerous dan is offline   Reply With Quote