HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Value of The WJC

Old
12-26-2013, 04:58 PM
ed bruin

vCash: 500
The Value of The WJC

The WJC for a lot of us is the only opportunity for us to watch prospects in live game action and it gives us a great perspective of these players, but there are other prospects for whatever the reason who do not get the opportunity to play in the WJC.

So I was wondering how much stock do people put into the WJC when grading a prospect? Does the WJC exponentially increase and lower a value of a player, does it not play as large of a role than a prospects regular season does, and do player who do not make the WJC in their draft year get devalued?

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 12:08 AM
alko

hmm, hard to say. Its individual...
Look to Nathan Mackinnon. He played last year in the 4th line. Only 2 assist. And still numero uno of the draft 2013.
Or when i remember, Gaborik. He had also bad WJC in his draft year. But still drafted as 3th.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:33 AM
Canucksfansince1989

If you do very well and dominate the world jr.'s while playing for team Canada, there is a good chance you'll have a successful NHL career. If you don't believe me, just look at TSN's list of the top 40 Canadian world junior players.

About 80% of the players on that list went on to have very successful NHL careers. There were the odd busts of course, such as Botteril and Gendron, but, for the most part, it is not a bad predictor.

Of course, you always have to take any success below the NHL level with a grain of salt, particularly when dealing with guys who did not make the team. Being good enough to dominate at the junior level or good enough to make the Canadian world jr. u-20 team doesn't mean squat when playing against the very best men in the planet.

Canucksfansince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:38 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
it means a lot if my teams prospect played great there.

if not, it doesn't matter, totally irrelevant tournament, small sample size etc.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 06:09 AM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Trouba

/thread

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:29 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

meh...

It's overrated

It's nice because you can see many of the top guys at once, but what it actually does for the prospect as an individual is extremely marginal.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:56 AM
LeafDangler

Ridiculously small sample size in a format that in no way shape or form resembles regular season play. On average good players will look good provided they are given an opportunity. Don't read too much into outliers or aberrations. Age difference is a huge factor.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:42 AM
joe89

I would say it helps mid and low round players to get drafted, or improve their draft stock. I don't personally see it as a good measuring stick for prospects though(see: Friberg, Sandberg, or whatever guys that excel at the junior level.)

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Birko19

It certainly helps identify certain things to some extend, but it can't be taken out of context.

For example if there's a player that has played average all year in his league but all of the sudden is one of the hottest players in the WJC, I'm not going get too excited until I see more. On the other hand if there's a player that has been great all year in his league but did not stand out in the WJC, I'm not going to write him off right away just because he did not play well in the tourny.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Mr Celly

The WJC won't hurt a players value, if anything it raises the hype/draft stock. Seth Jones had an amazing WJC last year, and his ranking rose after it, yet Nathan MacKinnon still went first. MacKinnon had an terrible WJC but it didn't hurt his draft stock. It isn't a measuring stick because players can be misused in this tournament.

Look at Jonathan Drouin. Already having an amazing year with Halifax, the WJC showed he could do on a bigger stage, the world stage. That showed that he didn't just dominate play QMJHL, but against some of the best U-20 players in the world. If anything it showcased him to the country and many people who haven't heard of him.

McDavid right now is only helping his value. He could of played 7 games and have no points, but his value would go up because his player for Canada at 16

End of Story, I believe the WJC can only raise your value.

Mr Celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Celly View Post
The WJC won't hurt a players value, if anything it raises the hype/draft stock. Seth Jones had an amazing WJC last year, and his ranking rose after it, yet Nathan MacKinnon still went first. MacKinnon had an terrible WJC but it didn't hurt his draft stock. It isn't a measuring stick because players can be misused in this tournament.

Look at Jonathan Drouin. Already having an amazing year with Halifax, the WJC showed he could do on a bigger stage, the world stage. That showed that he didn't just dominate play QMJHL, but against some of the best U-20 players in the world. If anything it showcased him to the country and many people who haven't heard of him.

McDavid right now is only helping his value. He could of played 7 games and have no points, but his value would go up because his player for Canada at 16

End of Story, I believe the WJC can only raise your value.
I agree that it raises the value, but as I mentioned, if taken out of context it can be a bad idea to take it into consideration during the draft. A good example of this is in 2003 Eric Staal was the top ranked player for that draft year, but during the WJC MA Fluery was out of the this world and the Brodeur comparisons started pouring after that which eventually led to him being drafted first overall. The Pens still ended up winning the cup with him and all but if we're doing a re-rank, there's no way Fluery goes ahead of Staal.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Mr Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
I agree that it raises the value, but as I mentioned, if taken out of context it can be a bad idea to take it into consideration during the draft. A good example of this is in 2003 Eric Staal was the top ranked player for that draft year, but during the WJC MA Fluery was out of the this world and the Brodeur comparisons started pouring after that which eventually led to him being drafted first overall. The Pens still ended up winning the cup with him and all but if we're doing a re-rank, there's no way Fluery goes ahead of Staal.
Yes, I agree. Yet, if a player plays well in the WJC, more than likely you will go and pay more attention to him than before. It helps with the hype of a player.

Mr Celly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 05:30 AM
alko

another Slovak examples:
Jaroslav Janus and Tomas Tatar and Marek Viedenky. IMO, this players benefited from good WJC. In 2009 Slovakia defeted USA in 1/4finals and this guys were there.
Richard Panik also, but i think, he was not so pushed with his WJC performance.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Exit Dose

It provides a good opportunity to see these players go up against top end competition, while also being at relatively the same level developmentally. It's not definitive, but you start to see more weaknesses exposed than you would in junior or college.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote