HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2010, 03:56 PM
  #26
Mr. T
Registered User
 
Mr. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik Soliman View Post
But like mentioned before, Nino had the whole package of Skating, Size and Skill... Bärtschi has the skill and the skating but is missing the Size! Rattie is bigger than him.... Although it's going to be interessting to see if Rattie is living of Bärtschi or the other way!? So this time around the WJC it's Ratties Time to proof he's for real....
It seems more like they are complimenting each other very well as opposed to one leeching from the other. It's not unlike Johansen and Niederreiter's performance from last season.

Mr. T is offline  
Old
12-26-2010, 09:13 PM
  #27
The Vinstar
Registered User
 
The Vinstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
I think him and Rattie are both top 10 material, if not, top 20.

The Vinstar is offline  
Old
12-27-2010, 01:29 AM
  #28
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,406
vCash: 500
I don't see a problem with Bartschi being top 10. Why not? You have some guys like Puempel and Ambroz who are disappointing this season, and Bartschi has done nothing but play amazing and do everything he can to shoot his stock up. Obviously he's not going to go in the top 5, but around #9 or 10, sure why not.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
12-27-2010, 02:39 PM
  #29
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
damn this kids to good to not be picked in the first...but the isles will most likley have a top 3 pick they should pick one of the high profile guys and then try to trade back into the first for this kid.....Striet Nino And Sven well have the swiss Army on the island

4Isles4* is offline  
Old
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
  #30
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
I still like him more than Rattie.

R S is offline  
Old
12-27-2010, 08:45 PM
  #31
The Vinstar
Registered User
 
The Vinstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
damn this kids to good to not be picked in the first...but the isles will most likley have a top 3 pick they should pick one of the high profile guys and then try to trade back into the first for this kid.....Striet Nino And Sven well have the swiss Army on the island

YESSS. Better yet, trade for Johansen and draft rattie and just make the islanders the winterhawks 2.0.

The Vinstar is offline  
Old
12-28-2010, 07:47 AM
  #32
Handlanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I still like him more than Rattie.
Well from a neutral point of view, he is better than Rattie, steadier on the backcheck and less one-dimensional...

Handlanger is offline  
Old
12-28-2010, 05:17 PM
  #33
4Isles4*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNERistheFUTURE View Post
YESSS. Better yet, trade for Johansen and draft rattie and just make the islanders the winterhawks 2.0.
Dont know if your being sarcastic but they would probably be better than they are now....At least those kids on Portland are winners..

4Isles4* is offline  
Old
03-10-2011, 07:14 AM
  #34
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,391
vCash: 500
In the first round, this is probably the guy who I know the LEAST about. Weird, I know, but I was wondering if you could answer some questions. I know he lacks the physical element of the game.

1. Playing Style (Sniper, Playmaker, etc)
2. Ceiling (Hard to Say, but top 6 or bottom 6?)
3. Ability to step in right away (how far is he from the NHL)

Thanks!!

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
  #35
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
In the first round, this is probably the guy who I know the LEAST about. Weird, I know, but I was wondering if you could answer some questions. I know he lacks the physical element of the game.

1. Playing Style (Sniper, Playmaker, etc)
2. Ceiling (Hard to Say, but top 6 or bottom 6?)
3. Ability to step in right away (how far is he from the NHL)

Thanks!!
No he doesn't.

R S is offline  
Old
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
  #36
swissexpert
Registered User
 
swissexpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
I know he lacks the physical element of the game.
This is wrong. He can handle much bigger boys than him, has no fear to go against them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
1. Playing Style (Sniper, Playmaker, etc)
I'd say two-way. Wicked wrist shot and stickhandling, but not a shoot-first guy.
Skating could be better.
Comparison could be a smaller Corey Perry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
2. Ceiling (Hard to Say, but top 6 or bottom 6?)
Top 6, but with a high risk of best-or-bust, because of his lack of size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
3. Ability to step in right away (how far is he from the NHL)
Maybe two more years in Juniors, I don't think he can handle NHL men right now. Not enough speed to make up for his small body.

swissexpert is offline  
Old
03-10-2011, 04:19 PM
  #37
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No he doesn't.
Thanks for the educated post renegade stylings....not...

Seriously, thank you "swissexpert" for answering the questions. The only reason I said he lacked the physical game was because of the opinions from earlier in the thread.

Marvelous Manked is offline  
Old
03-24-2011, 06:06 AM
  #38
Belenos
Registered User
 
Belenos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Biel, Switzerland
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
As the Western Conference Rookie of the Year, Bärtschi is nominated for the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy for WHL Rookie of the Year.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4170734

Belenos is offline  
Old
03-24-2011, 09:05 AM
  #39
Handlanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
In the first round, this is probably the guy who I know the LEAST about. Weird, I know, but I was wondering if you could answer some questions. I know he lacks the physical element of the game.

1. Playing Style (Sniper, Playmaker, etc)
2. Ceiling (Hard to Say, but top 6 or bottom 6?)
3. Ability to step in right away (how far is he from the NHL)

Thanks!!
1. Playmaker (right now also a sniper, but it's going to be MUCH tougher to score with a wrist shot and free sight for the goalie in the NHL).

2. Top 6 or bust - won't end up in a 3rd or 4th line role because he's too small for this. Period.

3. Far away, at least 3-4 years - if he pans out, I think he needs about 3-4 years of development in juniors and the A.

Handlanger is offline  
Old
03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
  #40
TheNextOneX
Registered User
 
TheNextOneX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lausanne
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
1. Playmaker (right now also a sniper, but it's going to be MUCH tougher to score with a wrist shot and free sight for the goalie in the NHL).

2. Top 6 or bust - won't end up in a 3rd or 4th line role because he's too small for this. Period.

3. Far away, at least 3-4 years - if he pans out, I think he needs about 3-4 years of development in juniors and the A.


Guy who can score 85 pts in WHL have a good chance of making the NHL right away.

Bartschi will surprise next season.

TheNextOneX is offline  
Old
03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
  #41
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,077
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
[/B]

Guy who can score 85 pts in WHL have a good chance of making the NHL right away.

Bartschi will surprise next season.
You don't make NHL teams based on how many points you had in junior...

I agree that Bartschi is going to surprise people and is one of this year's more NHL-ready prospects, but the logic you are using is majorly flawed.

Bartschi is close to NHL ready because he is so well rounded, not because he had 85 points.

R S is offline  
Old
03-24-2011, 12:23 PM
  #42
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 15,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
You mean Patrick Bärtschi I think.
He's 8 years older and was born in another town, so I think they're not related to each other. Bärtschi is a pretty popular name there...

Haven't seen him play much, but his stats are better than Ty Ratties, who is a top 20 pick for most of the "experts" and plays his 3rd junior season while Bärtschi is new in NA...
The most exciting part of Bartschi's tenure as prospect for Pens fans was learning that Babelfish translated his name into English as "The lime tree man."

Zen Arcade is offline  
Old
03-24-2011, 05:28 PM
  #43
tfriede2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
1. Playmaker (right now also a sniper, but it's going to be MUCH tougher to score with a wrist shot and free sight for the goalie in the NHL).

2. Top 6 or bust - won't end up in a 3rd or 4th line role because he's too small for this. Period.

3. Far away, at least 3-4 years - if he pans out, I think he needs about 3-4 years of development in juniors and the A.
Vladimir Sobotka says hi.

tfriede2 is offline  
Old
03-25-2011, 03:20 AM
  #44
Handlanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
[/B]

Guy who can score 85 pts in WHL have a good chance of making the NHL right away.

Bartschi will surprise next season.
Take off the Swiss glasses.... stats alone mean NOTHING for the NHL. He has to work on his size, he has to work on his awareness on ice some more before he hits NHL ice - if he does.

I'm ready to make a bet that he will not play a single NHL game in the next 2 seasons. (and I'm swiss and like Bärtschi, too).

Handlanger is offline  
Old
03-25-2011, 03:23 AM
  #45
Handlanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Vladimir Sobotka says hi.
It's not like Sobotka was EVER a scorer, he's always been a 3rd liner.
But 3rd line is not Bärtschy's game. He's a scorer or bust.

You do also know that you're comparing a 4th rounder to a 1st rounder here right?!

Handlanger is offline  
Old
03-25-2011, 04:57 AM
  #46
TheNextOneX
Registered User
 
TheNextOneX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lausanne
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
Take off the Swiss glasses.... stats alone mean NOTHING for the NHL. He has to work on his size, he has to work on his awareness on ice some more before he hits NHL ice - if he does.

I'm ready to make a bet that he will not play a single NHL game in the next 2 seasons. (and I'm swiss and like Bärtschi, too).
Have you seen Bartschi played?

This kid has more skill than El Nino. Skating is one of his strength unlike Nino who has some big issue here. He's a more skillful forward than Nino, he may not have the physicality of Nino but can also play physical and hit hard.

I think there is a good chance that he may see some NHL games next season....

TheNextOneX is offline  
Old
03-25-2011, 05:57 AM
  #47
Handlanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
Have you seen Bartschi played?

This kid has more skill than El Nino. Skating is one of his strength unlike Nino who has some big issue here. He's a more skillful forward than Nino, he may not have the physicality of Nino but can also play physical and hit hard.

I think there is a good chance that he may see some NHL games next season....
Yes I have seen Bärtschy play (not played). And yes, skating is one of his strengths (not strength).

But as a matter of fact - no he's not more skilled than Nino is. The only area where he clearly is better is the skating and maybe his wrist shot. If you watch NHL games regularly, you'll come to the conclusion that a wrist shot from the slot happens very rarely, as this is the area that NHL D-Men cover the most. Not to mention that goaltending is massively better.

I love Nino and Bärtschy, but oh boy, you gotta enhance your hockey horizon beyond Switzerland.... from your POV, every Swiss guy is the next Sidney Crosby - that's not going to happen.

Last but not least: Let's make the bet then.... I guarantee you that Sven Bärtschi will NOT see NHL ice next season (except for training camp and preseason games). He will definately not play a regular season game. Not even if he's drafted by the Oilers.

Handlanger is offline  
Old
03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
  #48
tfriede2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
It's not like Sobotka was EVER a scorer, he's always been a 3rd liner.
But 3rd line is not Bärtschy's game. He's a scorer or bust.

You do also know that you're comparing a 4th rounder to a 1st rounder here right?!

I'd say 20 goals and 44 points in 44 AHL games during the '08-09 season qualifies as being a scorer. Sobotka may always be a 3rd liner in the NHL, but he was a top-line scorer in the minors. Not sure what the draft position has to do with this argument; I assume you're saying that since Bartschi will be a 1st rounder, that this means he doesn't have the qualities a 4th rounder does to make a living on the 3rd/4th line?...that kind of seems backward to me.

Your previous argument against Bartschi being a 3rd/4th liner was that he was too small (period) - that argument doesn't hold water. But if you think it's due to his game being much more suited to be a goal scorer and not a grinder, I'd say that a grinder (defensively responsible) position can be learned by anyone (even Hull in Dallas), but goal scoring abilities can't be learned by everyone.

tfriede2 is offline  
Old
03-25-2011, 06:11 AM
  #49
TheNextOneX
Registered User
 
TheNextOneX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lausanne
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post
Yes I have seen Bärtschy play (not played). And yes, skating is one of his strengths (not strength).

But as a matter of fact - no he's not more skilled than Nino is. The only area where he clearly is better is the skating and maybe his wrist shot. If you watch NHL games regularly, you'll come to the conclusion that a wrist shot from the slot happens very rarely, as this is the area that NHL D-Men cover the most. Not to mention that goaltending is massively better.

I love Nino and Bärtschy, but oh boy, you gotta enhance your hockey horizon beyond Switzerland.... from your POV, every Swiss guy is the next Sidney Crosby - that's not going to happen.

Last but not least: Let's make the bet then.... I guarantee you that Sven Bärtschi will NOT see NHL ice next season (except for training camp and preseason games). He will definately not play a regular season game. Not even if he's drafted by the Oilers.
Bartschi can deke and to me, he is more skillful than Nino.

I take the bet by the way, and i still think he'll see some NHL games.

Kid was probably the best player during the CHL Top prospect game bet. team orr vs team cherry...

TheNextOneX is offline  
Old
03-25-2011, 06:18 AM
  #50
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12
 
SwissButch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Murten
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
[/B]

Guy who can score 85 pts in WHL have a good chance of making the NHL right away.

Bartschi will surprise next season.


You don't follow hockey very long, do you?

SwissButch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.