HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Handlanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
I'd say 20 goals and 44 points in 44 AHL games during the '08-09 season qualifies as being a scorer. Sobotka may always be a 3rd liner in the NHL, but he was a top-line scorer in the minors. Not sure what the draft position has to do with this argument; I assume you're saying that since Bartschi will be a 1st rounder, that this means he doesn't have the qualities a 4th rounder does to make a living on the 3rd/4th line?...that kind of seems backward to me.

Your previous argument against Bartschi being a 3rd/4th liner was that he was too small (period) - that argument doesn't hold water. But if you think it's due to his game being much more suited to be a goal scorer and not a grinder, I'd say that a grinder (defensively responsible) position can be learned by anyone (even Hull in Dallas), but goal scoring abilities can't be learned by everyone.

He was not a scorer in the minors, check this one: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=5383

Okay, I stand corrected. A small guy can play a 3rd line role in the NHL, but Sven Bärtschy does not bring the typical elements of a bottom six player like agitating, fighting, getting under the skin of the opponent, strong along the boards.

Maybe you can agree to this a little more...

Old
03-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
Bartschi can deke and to me, he is more skillful than Nino.

I take the bet by the way, and i still think he'll see some NHL games.
Okay, so it's your opinion. Me, and besides me, a ton of professional NHL scouts, have another opinion when it comes to compare Nino and Bärtschy....

Quote:
Kid was probably the best player during the CHL Top prospect game bet. team orr vs team cherry...
Nope, that would have been Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Old
03-25-2011, 05:33 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlanger View Post

Nope, that would have been Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
RNH is getting all the praise but it was Bartschi who score the goal...

That's also my opinion, by the way, that he was indeed the best player.

Old
03-25-2011, 05:38 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
RNH is getting all the praise but it was Bartschi who score the goal...

That's also my opinion, by the way, that he was indeed the best player.
So you are saying that RNH played a very good game, but Bärtschy got a goal and that automatically makes him the best player?!?

Old
03-25-2011, 05:45 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
So you are saying that RNH played a very good game, but Bärtschy got a goal and that automatically makes him the best player?!?
Nope, but 2 assists is easier to make it than a goal...

Old
03-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Nope, but 2 assists is easier to make it than a goal...
If you're serious by saying 2 assists is easier than a goal, you've definately never played hockey yourself...

It's not easier to create a chance, than to actually finish it. To visualize that a little bit for you.... imagine a scene where the center undresses 2 defenseman, makes a deke to fool the goalie, so all the winger has to do is to have his stick on the ice. What was harder no?!? Having the stick on ice or doing the hold work before?!

Boy oh boy... you're probably one of those who say Lino Martschini should be in the NHL too and will be a big time scorer...

Old
03-25-2011, 06:00 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
If you're serious by saying 2 assists is easier than a goal, you've definately never played hockey yourself...

It's not easier to create a chance, than to actually finish it. To visualize that a little bit for you.... imagine a scene where the center undresses 2 defenseman, makes a deke to fool the goalie, so all the winger has to do is to have his stick on the ice. What was harder no?!? Having the stick on ice or doing the hold work before?!

Boy oh boy... you're probably one of those who say Lino Martschini should be in the NHL too and will be a big time scorer...
2 assists still 2 passes....Anyone can learn how to deke, personally, i still prefer a pure goal scorer over and an assists expert. Bartschi can learn to visualize a game too, but putting the puck in the net is harder than "passing" IMO...

I never said that Martschini will be a big time scorer, although, one more season in the OHL and he may started to lighting up the league and may even see the NHL one day....i hope...

Old
03-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
2 assists still 2 passes....Anyone can learn how to deke, personally, i still prefer a pure goal scorer over and an assists expert. Bartschi can learn to visualize a game too, but putting the puck in the net is harder than "passing" IMO...
Anyone can learn how to dangle?!? Are you freaking serious?! On the open ice yes, but as soon as there are opposing D-Men, not so much. There's only a dozen players in the NHL that can dangle through traffic.

Quote:
I never said that Martschini will be a big time scorer, although, one more season in the OHL and he may started to lighting up the league and may even see the NHL one day....i hope...
You just officially proved that you have no idea about icehockey.
I'm not saying I'm an expert because I'm not - but if you truly think Marschini makes it to the NHL ever - you live in Alice's Wonderland.

Old
03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Belenos

Maybe he reads to much articles from Klaus Zaugg or something like that. Or he's a fake...

BTW: Nino is getting better and better each game, hope he continues like that.

Old
03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
elduderino

Ok that's it! TheNextOnex is on my block list

I've never seen a bigger homer. Why can't you contribute in a educated way? Always overhyping every swiss player...how old are you? 12? Sure sounds like it!

Regarding Bärtschi: Hopefully he can further improve his game the next 2-3 years in juniors and the AHL. So getting picked late in the 1st round would be good for him, because good organizations let their prospects develop.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Sven Bärtschi

I feel like this guy is a very safe pick and will go quite high because of it.

Bärtschi's plays an intelligent veteran-style game and is seemingly one of the best players in his age group in transition and in odd man situations. A Rattie-Bartschi 2 on 1 is automatic. He thrives in this situation due to his impressive release, equally deft passing and strong skating. His speed is high end but his edge work is perhaps a better asset due to his size and willingness to go to the net, thus eluding checkers and getting to open ice.

He reminds me of veteran NHLers like Cory Stillman and Patrick Elias. I just find him to be a very well rounded player for his age.

Old
04-12-2011, 03:54 PM
nowayguy
Maybe Next Year

Nice highlight reel

Portland is pretty talented, how good would his stats be without his teammates?

Old
04-12-2011, 04:34 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayguy View Post

Hard to say. Would he benefit from being a top line player out of the shadow of Ross and Niederreiter? Or would he struggle going against the opposition's top checkers each game? Its quite difficult to say but he obviously plays well with other talented players and reads off them exceptionally well. IMO you could use the old cliche that "he makes others around him better".

Old
04-12-2011, 05:29 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

St. Louis really likes this guy, bet you they Select him with their first pick unless they give it to Colorado.

Part of the reason Rattie has alot of points

Old
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
pdxshark

something about him just says "Joe Pavelski" to me. He's quick, great passing, great wrister and is defensively responsible. He gets knocked off the puck quite a bit but he's tenacious. A bit more muscle and experience and he's going to be quite the player. I actually think he's being underrated because of the team he plays on. He's not a lottery picky by any means but when you're playing on a team with two of them, you don't stand out as much. There is also the question asked in this thread, is it him or his teammates?

All in all he seems like a safe pick. If he doesn't make it as a top 6 forward, he's got the skating skills to be a grinder/penalty killer. Lots of potential without a lot of risk.

Old
04-12-2011, 08:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxshark View Post
something about him just says "Joe Pavelski" to me. He's quick, great passing, great wrister and is defensively responsible. He gets knocked off the puck quite a bit but he's tenacious. A bit more muscle and experience and he's going to be quite the player. I actually think he's being underrated because of the team he plays on. He's not a lottery picky by any means but when you're playing on a team with two of them, you don't stand out as much. There is also the question asked in this thread, is it him or his teammates?

All in all he seems like a safe pick. If he doesn't make it as a top 6 forward, he's got the skating skills to be a grinder/penalty killer. Lots of potential without a lot of risk.
He's much more physical than Pavelski. I agree with everything except passing. I think he has to work on this, but he does have the vision and decision to become a great passer. He plays like Tyler Kennedy with Pavelski/Brunette skill.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

To me, he reminds me of Giroux. Doesnt have the passing ability on Giroux's level but his style reminds me of him. He does make some passes that make say "wow I've seen that before in Giroux."

Old
04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I wonder if Columbus will grab him being that he's a teammate of Johansen and all. If it comes down to him or a similarly skilled winger, how much value would they place on that relationship?

04-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I wonder if Columbus will grab him being that he's a teammate of Johansen and all. If it comes down to him or a similarly skilled winger, how much value would they place on that relationship?
I wouldnt put much into the teammate relationship. Howson and his scouts choose who they want...I like Bartschi and would welcome the pick but I think Columbus takes a dman. Probably Murphy or Beaulieu.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Another talented Swiss player (and also from Winter Hawks)...

Switzerland's future looks really bright when they have players like Sbisa, Niederreiter, Bärtschi and Josi, who all have potential to be star players in NHL. If Streit and Hiller will also play in Sochi, they could surprise many and even get a medal.

Old
05-02-2011, 12:07 AM
dcgilmer

It surprises me whenever I see someone questions Sven's ability or skill set because of his teammates. I have watched every single Portland home game this season from glass seats, as well as every single away game via live internet feed. This kid is amazing. The argument can be made that his teammates/linemates (like Rattie) look better because they are on the ice with him. Johansen and Niederreiter play on a line together with Ross and only occassionaly play on the same line with Bartschi (unless coach is mixing up the lines to battle a tough opponent like Spokane). He is all over the ice, he goes to the greasy areas and battles hard. http://afterthewhistle.wordpress.com...-line-of-fire/

If you really want to know more about him, just read what his Coaches and teammates think of him. You can google the newpaper articles (the Oregonian, The Columbian, The Portland Tribune to name a few). They rave about his skating ability, SPEED, Skill, Vision, passing and Shot. He is the hardest worker on the entire team (practice work ethic). That has been said on more then one occassion. I'm a huge Bartschi fan (if you couldn't tell). I believe he is very under rated because of his size. However, by the time the playoffs are done, I expect him to be a solid top 10 pick maybe even as high as Niederreiter.

Last edited by dcgilmer: 05-02-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added link
Old
05-02-2011, 02:01 AM
hockeyGod

If I was the Av's GM, he wouldn't get past the #11 pick. He has such a great pro hockey pedigree. I hope he is available at 11 and I hope Sherman picks him up.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayguy View Post
Nice highlight reel

Lol this reminds me the old talks about Radulov scoring a lot because of Esposito

05-02-2011, 07:14 AM
forthewild

i am really hoping Wild get him, he should be available at 10 if Boston goes and gets Zibanejad at 9

Old
05-02-2011, 09:51 AM
dcgilmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
i am really hoping Wild get him, he should be available at 10 if Boston goes and gets Zibanejad at 9

I know someone who is a close friend of Sven's and Sven really likes the Wild. He would be quite happy going there!

Closed Thread