HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2011, 05:10 AM
TheNextOneX

vCash: 500
Bartschi just notched 2 goals in the final game against Kootenay Ice.

NHL scouts were wondering if he is worthy of a top 10 picks. Keep in mind that Bartschi played mostly in the second line as a rookie and still manage to have more point than El Nino and Ryan Johansen rookie season...

Old
05-07-2011, 07:28 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextOneX View Post
Bartschi just notched 2 goals in the final game against Kootenay Ice.

NHL scouts were wondering if he is worthy of a top 10 picks. Keep in mind that Bartschi played mostly in the second line as a rookie and still manage to have more point than El Nino and Ryan Johansen rookie season...
He doesn't have the size of Nino or Johansen though.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:28 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
He doesn't have the size of Nino or Johansen though.
Size should not be an issue. Look what happened to Jeff Skinner.

Bartschi will surprise next season.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
wej20

Quote:
Size should not be an issue. Look what happened to Jeff Skinner.

Bartschi will surprise next season.
he could well be a top 10 pick but his size will hold him back from going as high as Nino or Johansen.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
he could well be a top 10 pick but his size will hold him back from going as high as Nino or Johansen.
Which is ridiculous.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:59 AM
wej20

Quote:
Which is ridiculous.
not really, if you have two guys equally talented but one is 6'2 and the other is 5'10 who would you pick?

Old
05-07-2011, 09:05 AM
hockeyGod

Nope, Sven is going to fall into the Av's lap and we are going to take him at #11.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:17 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
not really, if you have two guys equally talented but one is 6'2 and the other is 5'10 who would you pick?
And what if the 5'10 is more talented than the 6'2?

I take the 5'10.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:22 AM
wej20

Quote:

I take the 5'10.
yes if someone thinks he has the talent then he could definitely go top 10 but no one is going to take him where Nino and Johansen were picked.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:32 AM
TheNextOneX

Quote:
yes if someone thinks he has the talent then he could definitely go top 10 but no one is going to take him where Nino and Johansen were picked.
Bartschi played brilliantly during this P.O.

We'll see.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Fairenough

Quote:
Depends...A big guy can be downy-feather soft and a little guy can be a scrappy POS.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:53 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
Nope, Sven is going to fall into the Av's lap and we are going to take him at #11.
I assume you meant calgary at 13. Don't worry, minor mistake

Old
05-07-2011, 10:03 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Was the Winterhawks best player last night. A true goal scorer and he remains committed defensively. Wouldn't be shocked at all if this kid managed to stick on an NHL roster next season.

My full account
My Avs-only account
Old
05-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Booom

Anyone would put up big points playing in a top 6 with Nino, Ryan, Ross, Rattie and Cunnigham but ya..... he's still pretty good.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:15 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
Anyone would put up big points playing in a top 6 with Nino, Ryan, Ross, Rattie and Cunnigham but ya..... he's still pretty good.

That's why he scored more points than his linemates Cunningham and Rattie in regular season and playoffs...
Playing with good players doesn't automatically rise your score, it could also hold him back a little bit.
Or do you think a Grabovski would score more if he played on a stacked Flyers roster?
Keep in mind that he didn't play with Johansen and Nino, but 2nd line minutes.

Old
05-07-2011, 12:05 PM
calcal798

Quote:

I take the 5'10.
lol he said if theyre equally talented...

I'd take the 6'2 10/10

Old
05-07-2011, 12:18 PM
NaturalIce

THW did a piece on him the other day http://thehockeywriters.com/sven-bar...op-ten-worthy/

Old
05-07-2011, 12:57 PM
tycho

Quote:
If they had exactly the same qualities and exactly the same potential and mental strength, I would clearly take the taller one.

I never understand these discussions. I never thought I had to say something as trivial as this, but: Human beings are usually only available in one size. They have their unique mental and physical abilities, which may or may not evolve over time. It is already hard enough to estimate the potential for improvement. To compare two different players and their physical and mental abilities and especially their potential to improve these abilities is even more difficult, but at least it's not only based on some completely hypothetical assumptions. But, to compare a player to a hypothetical "equally talented" player which is just taller, is nothing but ridiculous.

Will the size of the players be something the clubs will have an eye on during the draft? Yes. Will his size be compared to one of the players drafted last year to evaluate if he is top10 or not? Hardly. Will he be compared to some theoretical person, which is "equally talented", but a little taller? I really doubt it.

The draft is a competition between the players eligible in the same draft. He will be compared to these other players, nothing else.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
If they had exactly the same qualities and exactly the same potential and mental strength, I would clearly take the taller one.

I never understand these discussions. I never thought I had to say something as trivial as this, but: Human beings are usually only available in one size. They have their unique mental and physical abilities, which may or may not evolve over time. It is already hard enough to estimate the potential for improvement. To compare two different players and their physical and mental abilities and especially their potential to improve these abilities is even more difficult, but at least it's not only based on some completely hypothetical assumptions. But, to compare a player to a hypothetical "equally talented" player which is just taller, is nothing but ridiculous.

Will the size of the players be something the clubs will have an eye on during the draft? Yes. Will his size be compared to one of the players drafted last year to evaluate if he is top10 or not? Hardly. Will he be compared to some theoretical person, which is "equally talented", but a little taller? I really doubt it.

The draft is a competition between the players eligible in the same draft. He will be compared to these other players, nothing else.
I said equally talented, doesn't mean they're exactly the same player.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:42 PM
tycho

Quote:
I said equally talented, doesn't mean they're exactly the same player.
Which, does IMHO not exist as well. Similar: Yes. Identical: No. My point is: I prefer to compare players to each other which actually exist (Which, I think, is already hard enough). E.g Would you prefer Saad over Bärtschi and why?

Philosophical discussions can be interesting, but the "taller, but equal talented" discussion popped up once too often in this board for my taste.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:50 PM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

I would love him to become the first swiss player playing for the Bruins, expect the short stint bust Simek had with the Providence Bruins

Old
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
ponder

Definitely a safe pick IMO, with some decent potential too. A touch on the small side, but he doesn't seem afraid of contact at all, and not exceptionally flashy, but still real skilled and definitely a natural goal scorer. Reminds me quite a bit of Mike Cammalleri in the few times I've seen him play.

If I had to take a guess at where he'll be drafted, I'd go with somewhere in the 9-11 range, one of Boston, Minny or Colorado will snag him IMO. In terms of other forwards I don't see him going ahead of RNH, Landeskog, Couturier, Huberdeau or Strome, but crazier things have happened. If he's the 6th forward off the board (after those 5), he'd definitely also go behind Larsson and I'd think at least 2 of Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy, Siemens and Beaulieu, which would put him not higher than 9th overall. Obviously pure speculation, anything can happen, but I'd be moderately surprised if he went higher than 9th.

Re: comparisons to Nino and Ryan Johansen in terms of draft position, it's worth remembering that in addition to the difference in size, Bartschi is also almost a year older than they were on draft day. Bartschi is a 1992, like most 2010 draftees, while most guys in the 2011 draft are 1993s. Despite the fact that he'll be drafted a year later than Nino and Johansen, Bartschi is just 1 month younger than Nino, and 2 months younger than Johansen. He's roughly a year older than most other 2011 potential draftees, and a year can be quite a difference when you're 17/18 and maturing quickly, could be part of why Bartschi plays a more mature, polished game than most other potential top picks this year (although I'm sure playing with men in the Swiss B league before coming over helped too, and a smart/mature game is probably just "his game" too).

Last edited by ponder: 05-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old
05-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt thrower View Post
I would love him to become the first swiss player playing for the Bruins, expect the short stint bust Simek had with the Providence Bruins
Simek isn't Swiss, he's from Slovakia.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
jonas2244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Simek was born in Svk, but he has two nationalities (Swiss and Slovakia) and played for the Swiss junior national teams and also his first senior games for Switzerland last year.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
tycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
He is both (actually, I don't know if he has a Slovak passport). He was born in Slovakia, but is also a Swiss citizen.

Closed Thread