HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Moves that will get Calgary to the next level

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Nimrods Son

vCash: 500
Lombardi is hardly a "soft player"......he was blindsided by a cheap, cheap elbow and that could have happened to anyone. He had no way of defending himself. Keep in mind that Hatcher is under suspension for three games when the NHL comes back. That elbow could have concussed any guy on the team at the time, even Oliwa, Simon, or Ference (the toughest guys on the team last year in my opinion). No need to switch around lines to protect the guy, if he can't cut it when he comes back then he's done like dinner. I personally think he's one of the best if not THE best draft pick the Flames have made in the last ten years, considering how late he went in the draft and how soon he was able to contribute. I mean, we're talking about a guy who is in only his third pro season, and only his second NHL season and he is a second line center on the team already! Yeah sure we don't have alot of strength up the middle but I am very excited by his play, and I am usually very down on young players in our system (Nystrom, Medvedev etc)

Here are my lines for this (hopefully) half season:

Reinprecht-Langkow-Iginla
Simon/Gelinas-Lombardi-Kobasew
Neiminen/Nilson/Donavan
Weimer/Yelle/Clark

Old
01-18-2005, 10:06 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
And I quote,

"Now, if you look any playoff team, they have a very solid top line."
OMG, how many times has Nasvhille made the playoffs? Do you honestly consider 1 time in how many years a playoff team? And Montreal is always on the bubble of making the playoffs. Wow, you continue to shock me.

Old
01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Nimrods Son

Bottom line: you need a top line.

Calgary hasn't had a true number one line since McAmmond/Conroy/Iginla were tearing it up in 2001/02, and none of us expected that one to last every long.

Old
01-18-2005, 10:18 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrods Son

Calgary hasn't had a true number one line since McAmmond/Conroy/Iginla were tearing it up in 2001/02, and none of us expected that one to last every long.
Exactly. Having 2/3 of a top line defeats the purpose of having a top line.

Old
01-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Nimrods Son

I've never been that high on Rhino myself, but he was hurt and by February last year the guys shoulder made it next to impossible for him to have any kind of a shot. Some other guys on the board think he's a great passer and playmaker (better than Conroy, whom I adore) and Langkow is quite the pickup. I can't wait to see what Iginla can do with two top line guys. Keep in mind though that it does take Iginla forever and a day just to get going, so a shortened season doesn't help us much that way. Two news linemates makes for a lengthy "gel" period too.

Old
01-19-2005, 12:50 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Here's some lines...

Reinprecht-Lombardi-Iginla
Simon-Langkow-Kobasew
Nilson-Yelle-Donovan
Nieminen-Wiemer-Clark
Ritchie and Loyns as the extras.

I don't think Gelinas will be back after this season.
I really like these lines FDW, I really like how Iginla and Lombardi play together, and I think Lombo plays better with Rhino than Conroy ever did, Rhino and Conroy just didn't click at all. But aside from that, I don't see how Lombardi is really that bad to have on the first line, put him with a couple vets (I use the term loosely) Or put Simon on that line if more toughness is needed, but it seems to make sense to keep Lombo and Kobasew apart right now, young guys are normally targets for opposition coaches, a second line of Simon-Lombardi-Kobasew would be a line that a coach would want to get its best line out against on the road.

I'm starting to like a line-up like this for forwards....

Simon - Lombardi - Iginla --> Give Lombo a big LW who can score, and a brilliant opportunity with Iginla.
Reinprecht - Langkow - Kobasew --> Rhino is more a PP guy, put him with a great ES guy like Langkow, and let Kobasew ride shotgun with arguably the best set-up man Calgary has in Rhino.
Nilson/Gelinas/Nieminen - Yelle - Donovan --> Yelle is a superior 3rd line C, and Dono is very nice on the 3rd line, if Gelly can play put him here, or Niemy, the LW choices here are all solid.
Nilson/Gelinas/Nieminen - Wiemer - Clark --> Nice looking 4th line, Clark are Wiemer are more than just NHL hangers on, and the LW choices are solid again.
Nilson/Gelians/Niemine & Ritchie as Spares, tough choice unless Gelly is gone, thought I like the guy, and he's great to have around.

Old
01-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
OMG, how many times has Nasvhille made the playoffs? Do you honestly consider 1 time in how many years a playoff team? And Montreal is always on the bubble of making the playoffs. Wow, you continue to shock me.
"ANY playoff team"

Nashville made the playoffs last year

... if you said solid playoff team from the start, then I'd have other teams to point out. Until then, it was your mistake. This isn't that hard, Patrick. Please, try and keep up.

Old
01-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:

You think McAmmond/Conroy/Iginla is better then Nilson/Reinprecht/Iginla?

Old
01-19-2005, 04:25 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
At the time...yes. When it was clicking it was a dynamite line.

Old
01-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I really like these lines FDW, I really like how Iginla and Lombardi play together, and I think Lombo plays better with Rhino than Conroy ever did, Rhino and Conroy just didn't click at all.
Interesting idea of putting Lombardi on the 1st line as well. However, I remember back a few years at Lombardi's first camp (before anyone noticed) he had quite a nose around the net and some pretty good finishing skill. I'd argue that he's probably a better finisher then a passer, so (easy Patrick, no need to blow up over this too) I wonder about trying him on the LW? I think I could make a case for Lombardi being the 2nd best sniper on the team (yes, better then Kobasew - although I have to admit I haven't seen enough about Langkow to confidently say this) so...

Lombardi - Reinprehct - Iginla
Simon - Langkow - Kobasew
Nieminen - Nilson - Weimer
Gelians - Yelle - Donovan

Reasoning:
1st line - Best setup man with the 2 best snipers. Puts Lombardi wtih a strong guy to hopefully help create some space (Iginla) - which is one of Iginla's specialties.
2nd line - Langkow I believe is a strong in front of the net, can create some oppertunities for Kobasew. Simon's in there to cause havoc.
3rd line - Have a skilled center in Nilson to set up plays, and a strong faceoff man (I believe?) in Weimer to take faceoffs. Weimer can also crash the net, and Niemenen has some pretty underrated hands.
4th line - the rest

Old
01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
At the time...yes. When it was clicking it was a dynamite line.
Nilson > McAmmond
Reinprecht > Conroy
Iginla > Iginla (ha, just kidding)

... IMO

While they did do well together, Iginla essentially carried that line. Many Flames fans feel Conroy actually held Iginla back. Conroy was great in the sense that he had good speed to keep up with Iginla as opposed to a slower Savard, but Reinprecht should better Conroy in every offensive catagory.

McAmmond clicked with the line well, but so did many others (as above, Simon, Gelinas ect) so I think it had more to do with the guy on the RW then anything.

Old
01-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Nimrods Son

For once, I agree with Bertuzzi guy here. Yes Iginla was carrying that line and yes you or I would probably have had 15 goals if we were on a line with him that season but remember they WERE unstoppable. I believe the only better first line in the league at the time was the Kovalev/Lemieux line in Pittsburgh.

Nilson/Reinprecht/Iginla is a good looking line, but let's not get carried away. Nilson is a SOLID 2/3rd line utility guy but he is not a first line player, nor has he been in all his years in the league. Reinprecht I don't know enough about, I didn't get to see him play very much when he was in Buffalo and almost the whole time he played for us he was injured terribly, and had nothing on his shot. I'll reserve judgement on him until he plays. I doubt he will play centre on that or any line, Langkow is the top line centre for us this year, if there is one.

Old
01-19-2005, 05:00 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
For once, I agree with Bertuzzi guy here. Yes Iginla was carrying that line and yes you or I would probably have had 15 goals if we were on a line with him that season but remember they WERE unstoppable. I believe the only better first line in the league at the time was the Kovalev/Lemieux line in Pittsburgh.
Nilson/Reinprecht/Iginla is a good looking line, but let's not get carried away. Nilson is a SOLID 2/3rd line utility guy but he is not a first line player, nor has he been in all his years in the league. Reinprecht I don't know enough about, I didn't get to see him play very much when he was in Buffalo and almost the whole time he played for us he was injured terribly, and had nothing on his shot. I'll reserve judgement on him until he plays. I doubt he will play centre on that or any line, Langkow is the top line centre for us this year, if there is one.
the canucks top line weren't too shabby that year either - combining for 20 more pts and 1 less goal than the calgary line... lemieux only played 24 games that season and Kovalev had less than 70, so that line wasn't as good through the year.

with calgary this season, I think the guy that will surprise a lot of people, including Flames fans, is Langkow. He's a talented player, that has decent scoring and passing abilites, and the on-ice vision to be an effective top center for an elite winger like Iginla. I think that at some point, whether it's training camp, or later in the year, he will be tried with Iginla and have instant success.... if Reinprecht has a healthy season I could see him as the complimentary LW on that line - a role I think he could produce very well in - if the team decides not to split up Langkow and Reinprecht in the top 2 center spots.

Old
01-19-2005, 06:12 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Wow, how can you even compare the lines? One was very proven and the other hasn't even touched the ice. I would easily take the "forsure" line then a "what if"line. Learn to keep up.

Old
01-19-2005, 06:14 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
"ANY playoff team"

Nashville made the playoffs last year

... if you said solid playoff team from the start, then I'd have other teams to point out. Until then, it was your mistake. This isn't that hard, Patrick. Please, try and keep up.
OMG, you are a lost cause. Now you are trying to argue Nilson > Deano. When Deano CLEARLY has the more distinguished career. Nilson was good when he came to the Flames but so were Nemo and Simon. Nilson is NOT a top LW like you have him. Wow, your posts are degrading.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Wow, how can you even compare the lines? One was very proven and the other hasn't even touched the ice. I would easily take the "forsure" line then a "what if"line. Learn to keep up.
Can you even keep up to yourself?

This "solid first line" you propose of Langkow-Reinprecht-Iginla has never been tried before. At least Reinprecht-Iginla have played together.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
OMG, you are a lost cause. Now you are trying to argue Nilson > Deano. When Deano CLEARLY has the more distinguished career. Nilson was good when he came to the Flames but so were Nemo and Simon. Nilson is NOT a top LW like you have him. Wow, your posts are degrading.
Huh?

I didn't mention any players in that post. Your reply really seems to be off some wacky tanget thats unrelated to the post you quote.

If this is too confusing and stressful for you, feel free to log off. It's just a message board, don't take it personally. I'm having fun talking hockey; it seems like your getting an aneurysm over there.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
You didn't seem him play at Buffalo - Reinprecht was never a Sabre.

I remember back in the LA days, Reinprecht was a real underrated player - got pretty damn good value for him in my hockey pools. He's a really skilled passer, thus I'd want to see him center Iginla more then Langkow. Reinprecht and Iginla have already played together as well, and if they get some chemistry going, we could see Reinprecht feeding Iginla sweet passes while getting some good scoring depth and having our 2nd best player on a different line to create more of a scoring threat.

Nilson definatly isn't 1st line material, but neither was McAmmond, Gelinas, Simon or Saprykin. While he isn't in Langkow's league, I think Nilson has the skill, decent amout of speed and hockey sense (which could be a huge plus IMO to make plays away from the puck) to compliment the line just fine ( - actually, to be honest, I just put him there to fill a hole.)

Another reason I have my lines set up that way is to have stronger depth down the center - Reinprecht, Langkow, Lombardi (before) and Yelle. Even my altered lines before of Reinprecht, Langkow, Nilson/Weimer (to give the line both skill in Nilson, but have Weimer take faceoffs) and Yelle was to have strong center iceman.

Last edited by Phanuthier*: 01-19-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old
01-19-2005, 07:37 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Can you even keep up to yourself?

This "solid first line" you propose of Langkow-Reinprecht-Iginla has never been tried before. At least Reinprecht-Iginla have played together.
Yes and what is your point? Hence, why I kepy Rhino and iginla together (from past play) and added the next best player, who Iginla has played with before early in his career.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Nimrods Son

obviously I meant Colorado. Warrener came from Buffalo.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Yes and what is your point? Hence, why I kepy Rhino and iginla together (from past play) and added the next best player, who Iginla has played with before early in his career.
Sigh... Patrick... I'm not trying to "get you" here. Calm down.

Last edited by Phanuthier*: 01-19-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old
01-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
obviously I meant Colorado. Warrener came from Buffalo.
IIRC, Reinprecht was stuck to the 3rd line in Colorado, wasn't he?

I didn't notice him much with the Avs - I think his LA days are more of an indication his ability.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:51 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Sigh... must you make everything personal, Patrick?

The post you quoted had nothing to do with players. I don't know if your going crazy over there or what, but the posts you quote and the reply you write really seem to have no relavation to each other.

Like I said, I'm having fun talking hockey here. If your going to get an aneurysm from all the stress, then maybe you should log out?
OMG, so the ">" signs means nothing? You are clearly labelling Nilson as "greater", hence the meaning behind the symbol than Deano.

It seems like you want to play the "hey I posted something but mean something else" game. I suggest you go back to math class and learn the symbol's meaning.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:51 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
IIRC, Reinprecht was stuck to the 3rd line in Colorado, wasn't he?

I didn't notice him much with the Avs - I think his LA days are more of an indication his ability.
He played quite a bit on the #2PP and #2 line at times, especially with injuries.

Old
01-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
OMG, so the ">" signs means nothing? You are clearly labelling Nilson as "greater", hence the meaning behind the symbol than Deano.

It seems like you want to play the "hey I posted something but mean something else" game. I suggest you go back to math class and learn the symbol's meaning.
Ok I have to admit, I'm lost.

We were talking about teams that were able to ice "strong" 1st lines, then somewhere along the lines, you switched to Nilson et al and carried it through. I'm merely trying to point out that I don't follow what you quote and what your trying to post, and was wondering if you misquoted. You somehow took that personal and flew off the handle. Easy... like I said, this shouldn't be frustrating or stressful. Maybe you should take your own advice and give-up?

I'm open to debate on hockey issues. You seem to... well I don't know, get into *****-slap competitions or something.

(PS: > in letters is actually used in computer logic, not math when talking about letters. In math, it means nothing by variables (except if you really want to get into it, d and n are used). In that case, yes D > N I believe. Just kidding... easy, I can see the veins bulding out of your head there. Just poking fun. You need to relax there.)

Last edited by Phanuthier*: 01-19-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Closed Thread