HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren Dreger: As soon as the Canucks can move Bieksa, they will

Old
10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm sure Gillis would be interested in Gilroy as he was reportedly trying to sign him. Are you guys really ready to give up on him?
Not so much give up on him as trying to improve and looking at the only guys who might be worthwhile to you and expendable for us. Sauer made the team, MDZ is definitely sticking, we have McDonagh and Valentenko both knocking on the doorstep and we just drafted McIlrath 10th. Gilroy still has upside, but Lundqvist also has a GAA over 4 so far this year and we have the second youngest group of d-men in the NHL. I think Bieksa could help.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
A different question, who wins the 6th D job. Rome or Alberts? I think Alberts has looked solid so far.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:06 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Alberts has easily earned it. Not that Rome has played bad, Alberts has just been very good in his role this year.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Alberts, I love his physicality.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:20 PM
CCF23

Botch:

You just have to use logic here. Canucks likely can't trade him with Salo out and they likley can't keep him when salo is back

on Salo and if he has a timetable for his return:

Yes, and he's ahead of schedule

Old
10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Basso

There is a GOD! From Dreggers tweet to God's ears!

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
If you are showcasing "talent", would you rather show off 24 minutes of suck or 18 minutes of suck? The less suck the better IMO. However it's still a "what would you rather have, a big giant ****** or a turd sandwich?" argument.
I'm saying some people might be fooled into believing that he would look good playing 18 minutes, when he'd likely look just as poor (but 25% less often). That's all

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:29 PM
CanucksMJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'm saying some people might be fooled into believing that he would look good playing 18 minutes, when he'd likely look just as poor (but 25% less often). That's all
In a sense, that is playing better.

CanucksMJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Basso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Hey guys Habs fan here,

So Obviously our Boards have exploded with both joy and speculation at the thought of bringing Bieksa to MTL.

MTL needs what Bieksa brings basically, a Point Shot, Toughness, Defense, etc....

So what can we realistically expect to deal for him?

I think its safe to say Subban, Markov, Price, and Eller are off the table.

Peace!

-Yarf
Give us Moen and we'll throw in a Frenchie special, Desebiens

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Botch:

You just have to use logic here. Canucks likely can't trade him with Salo out and they likley can't keep him when salo is back

on Salo and if he has a timetable for his return:

Yes, and he's ahead of schedule
Umm...so he's basically equating Salo and Bieksa. Bieksa is too important to get rid of until we have an adequate replacement in Salo? Maybe he hasn't noticed but you put Baumer in a Bieksa jersey, watch him play and think "Hmm...Bieksa has improved a little bit". Or put Lee Sweatt in a Bieksa jersey and think "Hmm...Bieksa shrunk a few inches but man he's playing a lot better". Sorry, Botch is wrong about "can't" trade Bieksa, its wether MG has the will to do it and I for one hope he does. The only reason why *I* think he is going to hold onto Bieksa is because he thinks someone will become more desperate for a defenseman later and more of Bieksa's salary will be payed for.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Intangibos
"Simple" Jim B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Edler/Erhoff
Alberts/Rome
Parent/Bomber

I suppose? Or Sweatt.
Oh my god... I just threw up a little in my mouth looking at those 2nd and 3rd pairings..

Intangibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:05 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post

I know this is extremely late but it was 2+2 = 5
jeebus man...what number is Bieksa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Alberts, I love his physicality.
I wouldn't mind seeing Alberts' physicality playing on the 4th line. I agree Alberts has earned the #6 spot, but I also think Rome has looked better than any of our 4th liners. Alberts finishes every check he can, and I'd expect that would continue on a fore check. not the fleetest of foot, but neither is Desbiens.

added utility as well, as Alberts can still be a PKing dman. and it seems to be becoming more and more important to have a "swing man" that can play forward or defense in your top 20. it brings a lot of roster/cap versatility. I'd like to see if AA could play that role*.

(*not expecting the next Dustin Buf)

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:05 PM
VanEric

If there is a good deal on the table right now for Bieksa that can help this team in the long run, I think you have to take it and deal with the consequences.

Maybe it means having to go with a rag tag third pairing for a few games until Hamhuis' foot heals but if it means getting the best deal possible for Bieksa, I think you need to do it and ride out the next couple weeks.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Alberts' physicality playing on the 4th line. I agree Alberts has earned the #6 spot, but I also think Rome has looked better than any of our 4th liners. Alberts finishes every check he can, and I'd expect that would continue on a fore check. not the fleetest of foot, but neither is Desbiens.
It's a different animal when comparing forechecking hits to neutral zone hits. In fact, lining up a neutral zone hit is much more difficult and takes more timing and anticipation. A hit on the forecheck simply needs speed and raw abandon for your own well being. Alberts is not that kind of player. His game is better when the plays are 'played out' in front of him.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
CCF23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
If there is a good deal on the table right now for Bieksa that can help this team in the long run, I think you have to take it and deal with the consequences.

Maybe it means having to go with a rag tag third pairing for a few games until Hamhuis' foot heals but if it means getting the best deal possible for Bieksa, I think you need to do it and ride out the next couple weeks.
We have such a light schedule over the next 10 days or so too that Hamhuis really shouldn't miss more than the next 2 games unless the injury is worse than anyone is letting on.

Old
10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
You do realize that "playing 24 minutes" and "playing 18 minutes" is commonly accepted to involve playing in different scenarios with different opponents.. right?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Would you guys go for either of:

Boyle + 3rd (+/- prospect to fine tune)

or

Gilroy + 2nd (+/- ...)

Boyle doesn't look terribly impressive at a glance, but he came back this summer looking like a different player, throwing his weight around, dropping the gloves and using his 6'7 frame like he always should have. He has a couple of goals so far as well and has been playing very well. He PKs and has slotted in on our third our fourth line. Add the third a mid prospect from our pool. This deal saves you about 3.1M in cap space.

Gilroy is a sophomore that didn't have a great rookie season but wasn't terrible by any means. He's not going to be the offensive d-man people expected him to be, but he's not bad as a two-way guy. He may end up being converted to wing and he would look good as a third liner. Hard back checker with a lot of speed. Add the second round pick and prospect if necessary. This would save you 2M in cap space.

Just curious as Bieksa would actually help the Rangers defensive situation a lot, IMO.
id take either one but the first one for sure

Illmatic Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:34 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
It's a different animal when comparing forechecking hits to neutral zone hits. In fact, lining up a neutral zone hit is much more difficult and takes more timing and anticipation. A hit on the forecheck simply needs speed and raw abandon for your own well being. Alberts is not that kind of player. His game is better when the plays are 'played out' in front of him.
They were talking about this on TSN with John Scott. The Hawks tried him on the wing for a couple games and he was lost. It's also too much skating for those guys, IMO.

Plus most of these guys have spent their entire careers playing defense and learning the game from a defensive standpoint. It worked okay with Byfuglien because he's young and quite frankly, doesn't look all that committed when he plays defense to begin with. Even still he was only really dominant for short spans of time playing with two excellent linemates.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:49 PM
timw33

I got hard from reading the title of this thread.

Please please please be true and please please please nab us another forward.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:52 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Edler and Ehrhoff get EXPOSED when they have to play 25+ minutes. They are superb and well suited for playing 20-25 with the likes of Ballard and Hamhuis eating up a lot of those 5 on 5 minutes.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Edler and Ehrhoff get EXPOSED when they have to play 25+ minutes. They are superb and well suited for playing 20-25 with the likes of Ballard and Hamhuis eating up a lot of those 5 on 5 minutes.
Edler has had one bad game playing 25+ minutes, before that was our best D-man and suddenly he's getting exposed... love it. Couldn't just be one bad game.

I know this might come as a shocker to some on here, but Keith, Pronger, Lidstrom, Weber, etc. all have bad games, even horrible ones. Not to compare him to them, but when you have one bad game out of 7, that's not called getting exposed.

If you ask me, this is a good challenge for Edler and I'm sure he's learning a ton. He's at that stage where he might just make that step to being a #1 if he keeps being challenged to play these minutes. Besides, he played 25+ minutes even when injuries weren't a problem (first few games).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
jeebus man...what number is Bieksa?
Someone made a joke about Big Brother in the book 1984 and said 2 + 2 = 3

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:57 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa is also a team in on this; their young defensemen have been under-performing to date and they really haven't gotten the expected performance out of Gonchar.
i think that if the timeline was a 'right now' sort of thing, Ottawa would definitely be one of the teams potentially interested. sounds like Murray would really like to shake up that team right now, and the blueline has clearly been a problem area for them. and the Sens certainly have some assets that could make it work. but given that the Bieksa deal is probably still more contingent on Salo's return, the opportunity may pass before Gillis is ready to move Bieksa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Would you guys go for either of:

Boyle + 3rd (+/- prospect to fine tune)

or

Gilroy + 2nd (+/- ...)

Boyle doesn't look terribly impressive at a glance, but he came back this summer looking like a different player, throwing his weight around, dropping the gloves and using his 6'7 frame like he always should have. He has a couple of goals so far as well and has been playing very well. He PKs and has slotted in on our third our fourth line. Add the third a mid prospect from our pool. This deal saves you about 3.1M in cap space.

Gilroy is a sophomore that didn't have a great rookie season but wasn't terrible by any means. He's not going to be the offensive d-man people expected him to be, but he's not bad as a two-way guy. He may end up being converted to wing and he would look good as a third liner. Hard back checker with a lot of speed. Add the second round pick and prospect if necessary. This would save you 2M in cap space.

Just curious as Bieksa would actually help the Rangers defensive situation a lot, IMO.
I'd think Gillis would definitely have some interest in Gilroy. I know i would...Potentially replaces that RH shot on the blueline, while getting a bit younger and a fair bit cheaper. Seems strange to me that the Rangers would be willing to move him this soon, for an impending UFA when their season is looking pretty perilous at this point. But then again...it is Sather.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
thefeebster

I really hope no one gets the notion that Gilroy is someone special or someone who can play better D than Bieksa or even Parent, because he can't. He should not have played in the NHL last season and added almost no muscle during the off-season. He is what we already have in Oberg, except Gilroy is 4 years older. He is a weak defenseman who gets easily pushed off pucks and checks, afraid of a lot of contact, and doesn't even look all that comfortable QBing a PP. He is not an NHL defenseman, right now.

Read any threads about Gilroy in the Rags forum or hell even watch their games, he is their weakest defenseman. That's why he is so easily being offered in numerous trades.

If we want a cheaper, yet experienced smooth skating RH D man, why not Sweatt? He has shown just about 10x more physicality than i've ever seen in Gilroy. And just about 10x the smarts as well.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
BoHorvatFan

lol first Parent now people want Gilroy to? Why not add all the awful project d-men.

It's great that we're finally going to trade him but I hope we get something useful back.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote