HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Labor negotiations going nowhere...

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Labor negotiations going nowhere...

Goodenow and the players say no cap, no revenue sharing. Bettman & Co. say a hard cap. These sides are nowhere near each other. Personally, I don't think a hard cap ends up being instituted. That's the stance the owners took and they'll have to bend (always ask for the max, but be willing to settle). And considering that all major sports have either caps in place or revenue sharing, some form will have ot be instituted (perhaps a luxury tax i.e., baseball). In any event, Goodenow and the players, if they care about the sport at all, need to come off the 'this is the way it's been done for 75 years' stance. Things change. Situations change. If you indexed the 1960 salaries for inflation I'm sure the average player makes nowhere near what one makes today. Salaries have gotten totally out of hand and the difference between the highest and lowest payroll is huge.

While normally I would never be in favor for something (why should I, who attends games and pays outrageous prices for tickets (some for parking), food, etc. subsidize the rest of the league - especially in situations where people aren't even attending games?). The answer is to save the league. Just as I have to pay taxes to support others in a way, but am still afforded a market salary, the NHL likely should do the same.

Old
06-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Fish

The "this is the way it's been done for 75 years" argument is pretty hollow anyway, they could go back to having no health insurance, because "that was the way it was done for 50 years", or no union for that matter. Or how about no unrestricted free agency, because that was the way it had been done up until 1994?

It seems to me that unions for professional athletes serve an initial positive purpose but that they have to continue to be seen as getting something each time there's a negotiations...not to say the owners haven't been without blame of course. My biggest problem has been the acceptance of some shady guys into the NHL ownership circle which has resulted in more problems for the sport down the line.

Old
06-13-2004, 06:48 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i agree. those are great points fish. but i also agree with the players that the owners set salary standards and the owners are coping out of their poor spending habits. i think they should do a thorough financial report on just how much a team can afford to spend on players and still make some money and realign salary standards to fit that financial model. use those marks to set new prices for what players get paid and make it up to the owners to abide by them. there doesn't have to be a hard cap, but if the owners enforce their own cap through contract negotiations, then would it not work (i really don't know)? if owners want to break those standards, they should pay the price (luxury tax). you can't blame a player if someone offers him a truckload of cash.

Old
06-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Servo

n8, I agree. There is plenty of blame to go around on all sides. And let's not forget Bettman himself. Salaries likely wouldn't have grown so quickly if he wasn't hell-bent on expansion. He increased the demand for players way past what is available, not only driving salaries up but also reducing the overall quality of play in the league.

Old
06-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Goodenow and the players say no cap, no revenue sharing.
Actually Fletch, the NHLPA according to a recent article at Slam has proposed a luxury tax:
"Linden and Ted Saskin, senior NHLPA director for business affairs and licensing, wouldn't go into specifics about their proposed luxury tax.

"I'm not going to get into details but they had an issue with five or six teams that were, in their mind, spending too much money and we put forth a luxury tax system that would take funds from teams that were in that category and funnel that money back to the lower-revenue teams," said Linden. "Our system of revenue sharing and our luxury tax system would generate close to $200 million (US) that would have been dispersed to lower-revenue teams and would have made a huge difference to those teams, and it was at a level that was probably a lot lower than you think."

The players have also proposed a 5% rollback in salaries and changes to entry level players compensation rules according to the article.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040611/nhl_players-cp.html

Old
06-14-2004, 03:00 AM
LondonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
And considering that all major sports have either caps in place or revenue sharing
You forget that the most major sport in the world, football, doesn't have any sort of cap or revenue sharing. However, even the G8 in Europe are gunning for some form of wage cap. (A percentage of each team's annual revenue).

Closed Thread