HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan was good last night

Old
10-22-2010, 01:13 PM
msv957

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Adam Oates and Craig Janney
That's kind of a big difference in players.

Adam Oates is or should be in the HOF

Craig Janney was a soft perimiter (sp?) player who faded away fairly early in his career.

I am also trying to figure out what type of player Stepan could be. He seems really poised for a 20 year old.. Almost like a seasoned crafty veteran already... It's weird.. He seems relaxed and calm out there already to a point where I am not sure how much more he can improve this part of his game any more... The other parts he can improve upon is skating and just getting stronger..

There is a very, very good chance he is going to be a top 6 player for a long time in the NHL. How about a similar player to Chris Drury in his prime?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:28 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The kid is at a PPG right now. If he leads the team in points we have "major major" problems?

It would be the complete opposite, actually, it would mean Stepan is the real deal.
Yeah, no rookie should lead any team that has players like Gaborik, Frolov and several other vets like Dubinksy, Callahan, Drury etc...

Could he do it? Absolutely, but thats not the point im trying to make. He would be the real deal but the team would SUCK majorly.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:35 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Time to go back to the meds. Amonte was a 5-time All Star, Kovy a 3-time All Star with a Cup, Zubov a 3-time All Star with 2 cups. Not to mention within your 20-year span you forgot Weight (4-time AS, 1 cup) and Savard (2-time AS).

Stepan is great but if he's the prospect you've been most excited about in 20 years, well, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion
So any rookie from here on out can never match those guys? Come on.

Amonte, as good as he was, was a complimentary type player...he's not some franchise monster. Kovalev meh. He's a dangler, and that's about it. Zubov of those three is easily he best.

My point is saying that this guy is on drugs because he's the most excited about a rookie is stupid. I'm sure you're an ol nostalgia type guy who thinks no one today can match those of the past.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:37 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
That's kind of a big difference in players.

Adam Oates is or should be in the HOF

Craig Janney was a soft perimiter (sp?) player who faded away fairly early in his career.

I am also trying to figure out what type of player Stepan could be. He seems really poised for a 20 year old.. Almost like a seasoned crafty veteran already... It's weird.. He seems relaxed and calm out there already to a point where I am not sure how much more he can improve this part of his game any more... The other parts he can improve upon is skating and just getting stronger..

There is a very, very good chance he is going to be a top 6 player for a long time in the NHL. How about a similar player to Chris Drury in his prime?
How about Mike Rogers?

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah, no rookie should lead any team that has players like Gaborik, Frolov and several other vets like Dubinksy, Callahan, Drury etc...

Could he do it? Absolutely, but thats not the point im trying to make. He would be the real deal but the team would SUCK majorly.

ehhh, ya lost me.

I'm not sure how any one could know this right now.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:43 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
ehhh, ya lost me.

I'm not sure how any one could know this right now.
Well maybe im being a bit dramatic, but if Stepan out-scores Gaborik, this team isnt making the playoffs. Lets put it that way.

Old
10-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

As it's been said before, he actually does remind me a lot of Paul Stastny. Just a little slower.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
So any rookie from here on out can never match those guys? Come on.
Not saying that at all. If you can't see why hyping Stepan more than those players is a stretch then I have nothing further to say.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:43 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Well maybe im being a bit dramatic, but if Stepan out-scores Gaborik, this team isnt making the playoffs. Lets put it that way.
What if Stepan has 98 points and Gaborik has 90? We're 6 games into the season. We don't know how things will stePAN out.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
If Stepan leads this team in points we have major major problems...

Dont get me wrong, i love the kid.
If he continues scoring at a point per game, I don't care what kind of problems we have.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:09 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
What if Stepan has 98 points and Gaborik has 90? We're 6 games into the season. We don't know how things will stePAN out.
If Stepan ends up with 98 points this season, I will **** into a frying pan and feed it my grandmother on live TV for all to see.

I love him, but it's not happening.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Time to go back to the meds. Amonte was a 5-time All Star, Kovy a 3-time All Star with a Cup, Zubov a 3-time All Star with 2 cups. Not to mention within your 20-year span you forgot Weight (4-time AS, 1 cup) and Savard (2-time AS).

Stepan is great but if he's the prospect you've been most excited about in 20 years, well, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion

Time to take some Hooked on Phonics. I specifically said that I don't know that he'll be as good, but that emotionally I find him to be more exciting than others at similar points in their career. Likewise, when I wrote "etc", it meant that there were other good prospects like Savard.

But reading and comprehending is too hard for you when you need to prove your superiority by making a vicious attack.

Honestly, how stupid are you people who are out there trying to prove that you are oh-so smart? I didn't say he's better, but that he's a more exciting prospect than, yes, Marc Savard.

In 1996, most people thought Savard will never make it. He was the ultimate high-risk, high-return prospect. Even among the Rangers prospects, he was far overshadowed by another similar player Christian Dube, drafted the same year.

The guy was considered too slow, too small and too horrendous defensively to ever play in the NHL. He improved on all these things, but to say that Savard was a superior prospect at the age of 20 to Step today is ridiculous.

Savard's value at the age of 20 was roughly a 3rd round pick, maybe not even. That he pleasantly surprised everyone is not proof of his high prospect value as a 20 year old.

Last edited by Beacon: 10-22-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:45 PM
ogie

Stepan was good last night ...his mom on the other hand was amazing.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:47 PM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Adam Oates and Craig Janney
Yup, thought of them also and the comparison is valid. If he developed into another Adam Oates then he would be the best center we've developed in many, many decades.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I thought he had 2 good shifts that stood out... Otherwise, I think some other forwards were more impressive last night and stood out more.... Not to be debbie downer or anything....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
gravey9

No one likes Stepan more than me. But people need to remember, he played the last two years in college. Even if you include the games he played at the World Juniors, etc he still hasn't played anything near an 82 game season. We should expect him to hit a wall somewhere between 45-60 games. Hopefully, he'll get a second wind at the end of the season. Regardless, his PPG pace, whatever it is at the mid-way point, will most likely take a significant hit. If he leads the team in scoring at the end of the season, it will mean no other Ranger player will be over 65 points or something. Which is a distinct possibility depending on what happens with Gabby. If Gabby is out, other, not as gifted offensive players will be keyed on by other teams.

gravey9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:57 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I'm surprised that a person has yet to mention how many turnovers he's forced on the forecheck and how many passes he's tipped.
Absolutely his best quality so far. His active stick is amazing at times, and he's forced some great turnovers that lead to decent scoring chances. He is going to play a really nice two-way game at this rate.

rip
DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
If Stepan ends up with 98 points this season, I will **** into a frying pan and feed it my grandmother on live TV for all to see.

For the sake of your grandmother, and my eyes, I hope he only gets 97 points.

DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
No one likes Stepan more than me. But people need to remember, he played the last two years in college. Even if you include the games he played at the World Juniors, etc he still hasn't played anything near an 82 game season. We should expect him to hit a wall somewhere between 45-60 games. Hopefully, he'll get a second wind at the end of the season. Regardless, his PPG pace, whatever it is at the mid-way point, will most likely take a significant hit. If he leads the team in scoring at the end of the season, it will mean no other Ranger player will be over 65 points or something. Which is a distinct possibility depending on what happens with Gabby. If Gabby is out, other, not as gifted offensive players will be keyed on by other teams.
Completely agree. Which is the direction I am coming from. and if Gabby is out, this team will have trouble making the playoffs.

As far as the college to pro thing, I do think its tougher for defenseman, as we saw with Gilroy (DZ as well) and prob why McDonaugh is going to get a full year in the A. Stepan is the type of kid who will make the most of what hes got going for him though.

Old
10-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

this is an epic statement

and i would do the same

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:36 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
this is an epic statement

and i would do the same
His poor grandmother.

GO DEREK

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:43 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:

Somebody needs to get this to Stepan ASAP.

I don't know how much more motivation the kid would need.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Chado613

if he can gain some size, he will be become a real weapon

Chado613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Bulls9220

I mean, if he wants to be like Gaborik and get just as many goals as assists i'd be fine with that.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:00 PM
ThirdEye

I think he will finish with close to 60-70 points and lead the team. Gaborik will trail solely because of the injury. Yes that's how good I think he is.

And just because he's not ultra flashy doesn't mean he doesn't have skill. He is still one of the most skilled players on the team. His shots are always on net or inches from it and his passes almost always hit the other players despite their difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chado613 View Post
if he can gain some size, he will be become a real weapon
He's fine, he doesn't need size. His brain makes up for it. He's not so small that will affect him that much

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote